Removal of the Fox channel from BT TV

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited September 2017 in News
Hi all,

BT have announced that from the 1st March 2016 they will stop broadcasting Fox and Fox HD channels on BT TV. You can find out more information about the changes over on their website here.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Does this mean that Youview will quickly push forward the implementation of technology to enable Nowtv to stream their live linear channels on the platform, so BT customers, and the wider Youview user base, can have access to this content?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Does this mean that Youview will quickly push forward the implementation of technology to enable Nowtv to stream their live linear channels on the platform, so BT customers, and the wider Youview user base, can have access to this content?

Lateral thinking, Joe? :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited February 2016
    Joe2 said:

He he yes :) 2 birds with one stone and all that. Everyone's happy. I'm full of simple common sense solutions tonight :)
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is because Fox has changed the way they offer their TV channels to providers.
    Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

This is because Fox has changed the way they offer their TV channels to providers.
    Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?All thats known is that Fox withdrew them.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?That is a statement from BT, not Sky. So it seems to be it is BT who are "removing" the channels, rather than Sky.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Really. I think it is fairly obvious the Murdoch empire is pulling the strings on this one..
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Go on.
    edited November 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?I think the fox (Murdoch) network refusing the even negotiate the carriage renewal as they have decided to not offer thier channel to certain providers is pretty obvious...
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Source?
    edited November 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Hi Guys,

Apologies everyone for the delay in confirming.

We're sorry to announce that BT will no longer be able to offer the FOX and FOX HD channels on BT TV. Unfortunately, Fox no longer offers their channels to all UK TV platforms.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...

No longer be able... I think it is fairly obvious to anyone what sky/Murdoch are doing.
    What's the betting Nat Geo channels will be next...I think sky are good at what they do but they are allowed too much leaway to bully other providers over movies and entertainment in my personal view...
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?That link just brings up a long thread which I really can't be bothered wading through, can you point one to the specific post cited please? Ta.
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?There are many. Type and enter BT Fox into Google. then click on the news tab. 
    edited November 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Message 79
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Thanks again Scott.
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?@Visionman eh?
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Just Google it. The info's out there if your interested. TalkTalk's Fox service remains intact. 
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?I know how to use Google thanks, I was just wondering why you butted in to the exchange between myself and Scott? No scrap that, I wasn't wondering at all.
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Cross posts. 
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?No worries, as someone who I think takes a consistent view towards both BT and Sky it always surprises me a wee bit at the cries of anguish from those who appear to choose between these ugly great brutes, why would anybody take sides in this ongoing unseemly squabble between two behemoths of greed and control?
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Has anyone got any theory as to why they would be removing their channels from BT but not TalkTalk?Thanks, and redchiz, if you want to see people taking sides in this ongoing unseemly squabble, just read that BT thread Scott provided a link to. No, on second thoughts don't... :)  To be honest, there hasn't been a squabble, such is the world of business. 
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is it a coincidence that this has happened when the The Walking Dead - which is by far the most popular series on Fox - is currently being shown?

If this is an attempt by Sky / Murdoch to hobble its main competitor (and the cynic in me thinks that it probably is) then it's a very sneaky move.

I had been considering cancelling my NowTV entertainment pass partly because there are - since the end of Madmen and Boardwalk Empire - only two shows on Sky which I have any interest in. Those are The Walking Dead (which had until today's announcement also been available on Fox on Plusnet YouView) and Games of Thrones (which after last season I pretty much gave up on). Now I will have to continue with the Entertainment pass just so I can watch The Walking Dead.

What all the pay TV providers (and I include BT in that) would do well to remember is that they're not just competing with each other they're competing with FREE i.e., piracy. I'm one of the good guys, in other words, if I can get the content I want through a convenient and flexible paid service I then I will (albeit sometimes grudgingly) pay the price. There are many people however - especially the younger generation - who point blank refuse to pay for any content and will illegally download everything for free. The longer the pay TV providers continue to pull d*ck moves like this the more they will drive even the 'good guys' toward piracy.

The sooner the content producers completely bypass the pay TV providers - and put their content straight up on services like the iTunes and Amazon on a pay per episode basis - the better. I believe this is the case with The Walking Dead in the US and Canada but as always in the UK we're asked to pay for a whole bunch of other awful channels and **** shows just to access the one or two shows we actually want to watch.

/rant
    edited February 2016
    TomW said:

Is it a coincidence that this has happened when the The Walking Dead - which is by far the most popular series on Fox - is currently being shown?

If this is an attempt by Sky / Murdoch to hobble its main competitor (and the cynic in me thinks that it probably is) then it's a very sneaky move.

I had been considering cancelling my NowTV entertainment pass partly because there are - since the end of Madmen and Boardwalk Empire - only two shows on Sky which I have any interest in. Those are The Walking Dead (which had until today's announcement also been available on Fox on Plusnet YouView) and Games of Thrones (which after last season I pretty much gave up on). Now I will have to continue with the Entertainment pass just so I can watch The Walking Dead.

What all the pay TV providers (and I include BT in that) would do well to remember is that they're not just competing with each other they're competing with FREE i.e., piracy. I'm one of the good guys, in other words, if I can get the content I want through a convenient and flexible paid service I then I will (albeit sometimes grudgingly) pay the price. There are many people however - especially the younger generation - who point blank refuse to pay for any content and will illegally download everything for free. The longer the pay TV providers continue to pull d*ck moves like this the more they will drive even the 'good guys' toward piracy.

The sooner the content producers completely bypass the pay TV providers - and put their content straight up on services like the iTunes and Amazon on a pay per episode basis - the better. I believe this is the case with The Walking Dead in the US and Canada but as always in the UK we're asked to pay for a whole bunch of other awful channels and **** shows just to access the one or two shows we actually want to watch.

/rant

Very good point, well said
    edited November 2016
    TomW said:

/rant

I don't think it was specifically done mid season of walking dead. It was done at the earliest opportunity when the previous 4 year carriage deal came to an end. I would suggest fox have known they were going to do this for some time but have just had to wait for the previous deal (done at a time that YouView and bttv were almost unknown) to end. I believe (feel free to correct me) that the Nat Geo channels contract runs out about two months after the fox deal (I do not know if this was a 4 year deal also as it has different owners back then).
    Let's wait and see but don't be surprised....
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 274 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi all

Everything I've seen with regard to Fox being removed from BT TV only mentions BT not plusnet

Plus net may be owned by BT, but legally I believe it is seen as a separate entity, so there may well be separate agreements in place for plusnet

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about Fox not being removed from plusnet
    edited December 2016
    TomW said:

/rant

I wonder if this is what Gavin Patterson referred to when he said BT TV faced ‘signficant headwinds’ in the world of TV?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/492302...

I also wouldn't be surprised if they lost the other channels, either.
    edited December 2016
    TomW said:

/rant

BT have come a-stompin' and a-swaggerin' into Sky's territory, it was always gonna get nasty! Pathetic really. But such is the world of business, as you rightly observed earlier. With precious little consideration for the customer of course, way down on the list of "stakeholders" as always.
    edited February 2017
    Plusnet have lost them as well.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    They are both as bad as each other BT still refuse to wholesale their channels to both Sky and Talk Talk in the end it's the consumer who suffers from these corporate spats.
    edited December 2016
    David8 said:

They are both as bad as each other BT still refuse to wholesale their channels to both Sky and Talk Talk in the end it's the consumer who suffers from these corporate spats.

Agreed, as I believe I said a few minutes ago. ;)