settings will not open

Kimberley CilmiKimberley Cilmi Posts: 4Member
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts

I am trying to open settings to adjust sound however it will not open instead is says loading forever.

I have tried rebooting by pressing power button for a number od seconds and have switched tv and youview off for a min then back on and nothing changes

Is something wrong with my youview box that cannot be fixed?

Thank you all

Kimberley

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Hi Kimberley, what happens when you press the blue YV button? Can you access the rest of the full menu and options?
  • Kimberley CilmiKimberley Cilmi Posts: 4Member
    edited 19 April 2016, 8:22PM
    I've clicked on recordings and they work but when I click on settings it takes forever to load
    edited 19 April 2016, 8:25PM

I don't have broadband anymore, would that effect it?

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Kimberley

Affect it? Yes it would. :-(

It shouldn't, but it does.

A YouView box without both aerial and broadband connection is balky, as yours is, even with an aerial present, which I daresay you have.

But IIRC, Netflix won't work with just an Internet connection, but needs an aerial as well, for no good reason I can see.

All sorts of funny things happen with just an aerial, or no aerial though, as you have observed; Settings gets stuck forever for one.

Except it's not so funny, since when this happened to me, with an Internet connection but not one that the box recognised, the only fix was a change in...Settings!

Which it would not let me make until I had used a fairly drastic reboot to get back to the initial setup procedure :-(

I hope this is on Keith's list, or even better on YouView's radar, to fix.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM

Yes.  A YouView box is whats known as a hybrid, in that it requires both an aerial and internet connection to work correctly. And without both it won't.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Kimberley

A YouView box without both aerial and broadband connection is balky, as yours is, even with an aerial present, which I daresay you have.

But IIRC, Netflix won't work with just an Internet connection, but needs an aerial as well, for no good reason I can see.

All sorts of funny things happen with just an aerial, or no aerial though, as you have observed; Settings gets stuck forever for one.

Except it's not so funny, since when this happened to me, with an Internet connection but not one that the box recognised, the only fix was a change in...Settings!

Which it would not let me make until I had used a fairly drastic reboot to get back to the initial setup procedure :-(

Hi Roy - this issue is item 53 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults. I've added this topic as a second reference too. Note the first reference topic actually states one aspect (relating to problems when no internet connection is present) of this issue was supposedly resolved in the November 2015 update.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Kimberley

Hi Roy - this issue is item 53 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults. I've added this topic as a second reference too. Note the first reference topic actually states one aspect (relating to problems when no internet connection is present) of this issue was supposedly resolved in the November 2015 update.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Kimberley

Depending on how long Kimberley has been without broadband (though I wonder what she is posting here with?) she may not have got that update :-(
    Visionman said:

Yes.  A YouView box is whats known as a hybrid, in that it requires both an aerial and internet connection to work correctly. And without both it won't.

But I do wonder what aspect of the Settings menu might need either of these, dont you?
  • StephenStephen Posts: 664Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    Visionman said:

It's the mobile pairing panel that causes the problem. In the very latest update it's been ameliorated slightly that if it can't verify your pairings it times out after 30 seconds and the rest of Settings is available. But of course as Roy points out above, this will be of no use if Kimberly is on a previous version and can't update because of not having an Internet connection.
    Kimberly - can I suggest somehow providing the box with a connection and doing a software update? Do you have a connection at home still, or are you completely off the grid now? There might be another way to fix this problem on older software (I need to look into it) but doing a software update would be by far the easiest.
    edited 20 April 2016, 10:40AM
    Visionman said:

Hi there,
    Thank you all for your time
    No I don't have Internet in the house yet
    Might wait until I sort out broadband then reset it and go from there
  • StephenStephen Posts: 664Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    Visionman said:

Addendum, apologies, I appear to have mis-remembered, the 30 seconds fix I mentioned actually went into the next (i.e. upcoming) software update. But still, arranging an internet connection will fix the problem regardless.
    Visionman said:

Oo-er Stephen, hope you don't get a smacked wrist for pre announcing :-)
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    Visionman said:

No harm done Roy, Stephen's wrists are safe (for now) :)