YouView BBC app problems this lunchtime

zulu17zulu17 Posts: 955Member ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM in Archived Posts
Experience problems with Youview BBC Sport app this lunchtime .. In period 1:15 pm for 20 minutes or so.
Upon activating the BBC sport app ... Message. Sorry we do not support your device appeared. (That seemed to be a BBC originated message)

After trying several times and also the BBC News app the error message varied between. That one and a one which said
sorry this application is not currently available on your device. (That seemed not to be a BBC message but rather a Youview message)

I checked other players and the BT Player ,BBC Iplayer both were functioning normally. of the app only the Youview help app was working.

The problem eventually went away when I left the box in standby and tried again later. ( I was not able to do soft restart as box was recording..

I notice that another user has reported problems on the BT community forum.

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 955Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    The problem has just reoccurred.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    zulu17 said:

Hi Zulu, 

Thanks for highlighting this to us. We are looking into now. We'll get back to you when we know more.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    zulu17 said:

Hi again - this should be resolved now. Give it a try when you get a chance. 
    edited 14 December 2016, 9:35PM
    zulu17 said:

Seems ok ... Didn't watch it for long .... But it started up first time.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,013Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2016, 6:53PM
    zulu17 said:

There's been a major reworking of BBC connected red button. Perhaps that had something to do with the app malfunctions today?
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:49AM
    Tried the BBC Sport app again today(Tuesday) .... started first time.

I was watching some top quality live tennis when at 5:01pm there was a buffering issue  except the programme vision and sound appeared to continue in  good quality behind the buffering logo and then BBC error  04100 Something went wrong with this programme, despite what seemed to be a perfect video and sound stream there was no way to get back to it without closing and restarting.
    zulu17 said:

Tried the BBC Sport app again today(Tuesday) .... started first time.

I was watching some top quality live tennis when at 5:01pm there was a buffering issue  except the programme vision and sound appeared to continue in  good quality behind the buffering logo and then BBC error  04100 Something went wrong with this programme, despite what seemed to be a perfect video and sound stream there was no way to get back to it without closing and restarting.

That aside the tennis stream was very good quality and better than the SD 601 terrestrial transmission. so no issues in the next 3 hours.
    Further problem this Sunday morning 19 June c 10.55am with BBCSport app message saying does not support the device. problem repeated itself several times. BBC news app was Ok. . It seemed to cure itself after a soft reset.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    After seeing your reports and comments, I'm currently watching the live Queens Final on the BBC Sport app on a YouView 4K TV using the box. And the picture quality is stunning. 

So I've just switched to the TV. The TVs BBC iPlayer stream, isn't so. Its HD but not really HD, in that its above SD quality but doesn't quite hit the mark.
    And I never thought I'd complain about the picture quality of a stream. Demanding, aren't we? image
    zulu17 said:

Further problem this Sunday morning 19 June c 10.55am with BBCSport app message saying does not support the device. problem repeated itself several times. BBC news app was Ok. . It seemed to cure itself after a soft reset.

Some further issues late on Sunday night c 23:50 - 00:05 (Monday).
    BBC Sport app loaded what appeared to be a BBC webpage  .

First instance was one asking to accept cookies -

No responses (back etc) accepted other than close  so closed app.

tried BBC News app that loaded OK .. so closed and retried BBC  sport app and it loaded correctly. Used it for c 5 minutes fine . Closed app and resumed TV.

tried BBC Sport App again a few minutes later- this time got another BBC webpage --  saying "Sorry that page not found" . Again closed app and tried again and it loaded OK.

Currently the app is certainly useable as once it launches successfully it all works but it is a bit frustrating that it does seem to fail to load successfully some of the time and isn't putting out very clear or appropriate error messages when it does.
    Visionman said:

After seeing your reports and comments, I'm currently watching the live Queens Final on the BBC Sport app on a YouView 4K TV using the box. And the picture quality is stunning. 

So I've just switched to the TV. The TVs BBC iPlayer stream, isn't so. Its HD but not really HD, in that its above SD quality but doesn't quite hit the mark.
    And I never thought I'd complain about the picture quality of a stream. Demanding, aren't we? image

Yes my experience is that the BBC Sport app stream can provide very good quality live streams. I haven't used the IPlayer live stream that much recently other than a welsh stream which clearly wasn't HD. I did watch a little Iplayer catchup from Queens and thought there was a difference in quality between the part1 and part 2. on one of the earlier days. Now the part 1 was the BBC2/BBC2Hd programme whereas the part 2 was the programme broadcast on RB1 (601 IRC). Watching  on the BBC Sport App (aside from rain interuptions) the two parts would be one continuous broadcast which retained the (HD like) quality throughout.