[Discussion] Automatic Software Update August 2016

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Announcements
Please feel free to discuss the latest software update for Humax and BT retail boxes August 2016 in this thread.

Comments

• AJRAJR Posts: 20Member
    edited 1 August 2016, 7:11PM
    I can no longer get On Demand on my Humax DTR-T1000  BT box - it says it IS connected to Broadband but it is NOT connected to the internet. Nothing Internet related works anymore - I cannot use Search, Help or Discover. I have reset everything - I have tried a brand new Hub connected directly to the box - I cannot Update the Software or the Players because I can no longer connect to the Box to the Internet - what on earth is going on !
    I can no longer get On Demand on my Humax DTR-T1000  BT box - it says it IS connected to Broadband but it is NOT connected to the internet. Nothing Internet related works anymore - I cannot use Search, Help or Discover. I have reset everything - I have tried a brand new Hub connected directly to the box - I cannot Update the Software or the Players because I can no longer connect to the Box to the Internet - what on earth is going on !
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    AJR

When this happens, there are two things to try:-

(i) Soft Reset. While not recording nor about to, touch the ring on the middle of the box and keep your finger there for just over 8 seconds, until the box soft reboots.

This is entirely non-destructive, except to bugs (and to running recordings, which is why we advise not doing this while recording or about to).

See if your internet connectivity is back or not. If it is, rejoice and go no further, except to let us know this fixed it.

(ii) Maintenance Mode 4. This is like a full Factory Reset, except it does keep your recordings. So before embarking on it, make a note of your Schedules, any non-standard Settings you have, and what devices are paired with the box for use with the YouView App, if any.

Then find the instructions for your T1000 in the following link, and follow them for Maintenance Mode Option 4:-

https://support.youview.com/articles/...

Afterwards, if it lets you do the MM4 at all, you will need to retune and reestablish the things you made a note of.

If it won't let you do the Mode 4, but comes up with Boot Fail - Invalid Signature, this will be telling you your box has had it.

If it goes through the process, but the box still isn't on the Internet, time for the laptop check.

Take a laptop, turn off its wifi, take the Ethernet connection out of the YouView box, plug it in the laptop. See if you can get on the Internet.

If not, you have a problem with the cable/router setup, not the YouView box.

That's enough things to check for now - do the above, as far as is needed till things either work or you have exhausted the list, and then come back and tell us how things are.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    AJR said:

yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.

AJR, I have read your post above and it doesn't mention a lot of the things Roy has told you to try. He also states try these first and then we can go from there. Personally I think he has been very informative. This forum is very helpful in the whole but people aren't mind readers and so need to step through all the things one by one to get an idea of what the issue could be.

We could just say 'if you have tried all the things you can google and it still doesn't work you need to chuck your box in the bin and buy a new one', is that the help you really want?

So what speed did you get back from your laptop when you tested the internet connection.

What software and ISP config do you have on your box at the minute.

edited 2 August 2016, 10:09AM
    AJR said:

Scott - actually mate everything Roy stated is covered in one sentence on my original post

"I have reset everything"

I am utterly sick to death of threads on here being effectively hijacked by people who simply have nothing better to do than pretend to be experts by copying and pasting from Google.

Have you tried going through some of the junk on here trying to find a straight answer - its like reading an epic novel.

As for chucking it in the bin - thats the best advice yet - I'm ordering Sky HD today.

IMHO YouView is utter junk - you should not be having to "Factory Reset" your box every few months because they are lousy quality.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 664Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    AJR said:

AJR please don't be rude to people trying to help. Roy is prolific, but I haven't so far noticed him copying and pasting anything nor blindly googling.

"I have reset everything" means anything to any number of people. A reboot of the box and router? There are at least 5 levels of software reset you could have applied to your box. Re-pairing powerline adapters if you have them?

You're right, you shouldn't need to factory reset the box at all, doing so before trying other things is generally jumping the gun.

You're right to try hardwiring the box straight into a hub. Firstly, does the same cable into a laptop work? Secondly, with that cable, do the lights next to the ethernet port on the back of the box come on, and does the network connectivity panel in settings say it's trying to connect or whether it's got an IP address? Is the IP address in the same range as that which you get over wifi on your phone / laptop?

And are you still in a TV contract with BT or has it lapsed, or did you buy the box outright?
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    AJR said:

Hi AJR

People are right - you are bloody rude to those who are trying to help, aren't you?

You put 'no offence', but I took offence anyway.

I mean, why even come here if you don't want help, or you want to dictate what help you should get, and how?

Or are you here just to troll? It certainly seems that way.

But don't worry - you will not have to put up with any more help from me.

It's just a shame that there are so many other people here who can point you in the right direction, instead of leaving you with the non-functioning box your rude response so richly deserves.

Though with any luck, you will not treat them any more courteously than you have treated me, and will ignore their helpful advice as well, and you can retreat back into your troll-cave muttering how useless we are, while casting occasional despairing glances in the direction of your terminally defunct box.

And try and find that rant prepackaged on Google :-)
    Phil, according to this page:-

https://support.youview.com/articles/...

we are all updating from 22.18.0

But given that 26.36.0 came out in July, for some if not all of us, that isn't correct, is it?
    edited 2 August 2016, 2:50PM
    AJR said:

Roy - you literally live on here mate - you comment on almost every thread going - but all you do it paste whats already on the Help pages on the Net - you dont actually HAVE any real world experience of 90% of the issues you are trying to solve - its painful.
    AJR said:

DONT FEED THE TROLL
    AJR said:

It's OK, Scott, I have clearly upset Adrian somehow. (Chortles).

Let's find some advice:-

'Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.'

It's good, this Googling, isn't it?
    AJR said:

What troll? :-)
  • Dave H2Dave H2 Posts: 6Member

Can anyone help? I have a Humax T1010, connected via Karoo in Hull (not BT).

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Thanks very much for any replies - Dave.

Dave H2 said:

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Have you tried this workaround :-

Anyway, I've found you can still get at the original Red Button service on my Youview box.  Tune to Radio 3 (other radio stations work), and press the red button.  This brings up the weird restricted Red Button service that the radio stations have had for some time.  But now you can press the blue button to get the full index, and from there access any of the old-style red button pages (and directly by number).  With the added bonus of good music, but the disadvantage of no pictures.

from @goverp

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-automatic-software-update-july-2016?topic-r...

edited 2 August 2016, 4:54PM
    AJR said:

HaHa - 2 posts and I m a troll - all I am saying roy is instead of writing half a page of blurb - why not just put:

Hi - have you worked through the YouView Trouble shooter here: (insert link)

Then I say - Wow thanks Roy - yes I have...
    AJR said:

But then why could you not put that in your original post, and save me the trouble? :-)
    edited 2 August 2016, 6:00PM
    AJR said:

Touche - ok so Im narked about the Box - and I took it out on you - to be honest I'm ashamed of myself reading that back - sorry - Grumpy old man.
    AJR said:

OK, great, let's try and get this back on an even keel :-)

Firstly, re the length of some of my bits of advice - not everyone is as clued up as you, so giving chapter and verse, I find through long experience, is the best way.

You can find (or could, if the search was any good) people who got off the phone, bewildered, after three hours of ineffective telephone support from TalkTalk, read one of my postings, and got things fixed in minutes.

Are the TalkTalk telephone people useless? Almost certainly not. But I take nothing for granted, and that seems to get the message across.

Secondly, I don't boilerplate. I often wish I did, and perhaps I would if I were sensible, but there is always a little tweak needed, even to the standard advice, for the exact case in point.

Thirdly, I don't blindly quote the standard Help. Note the stuff I talk about with preparing for an MM4, and recovering afterwards.

Does the standard YouView help cover that? No it doesn't.. Do I wish it did? Hell, yes, it would save me parroting it each time, and I have asked YouView to add it to their standard Help, but they haven't :-(

Also note that I ignore a bunch of YouView advice I don't agree with, and go straight for the MM4 if a soft reset doesn't work. I don't think that's ever hurt anybody, but it sure has saved them some time :-)

Re the 90% you quoted, alas I wish it were true :-( I have two YouView boxes -a T1000 and a T2000, both retail, and a YouView TV, and a raft of other kit, including a Slingbox, all hooked up together, and a Digital Stream PVR besides the YouView box to benchmark it against.

I was also one of the first people to get the dreaded BFIS (Boot Fail Invalid Signature) problem from which no YouView box returns, so my T1000 is actually a replacement.

Regarding the things I don't know about, mainly the BT and TT subscription services, you will find I rarely comment on these, as it is not my area of expertise, and we have more than a couple of other denizens of the Community ready to chip in there with the knowledge they do have by dint of possessing these devices.

Other kit? Mea culpa. Somebody has a problem with a YouView box and some other piece of kit I've never heard of, I download the manual for it, have a quick read, and more often than not, bottom the problem sight unseen.

I'm sure my trying to knock seven bells out of you (a guilty pleasure, I must confess) was at least partly fuelled by all those people who couldn't RTFM. And the Drive-By posters - the ones who turn up with a problem, get a painstaking answer, and never post again. So you never know if they read the advice, acted on it and lived happily ever after or not :-(

At least you came back, even if you were rude to me - I think I prefer that.

So pax, I hope?
    edited 3 August 2016, 7:13AM
    AJR said:

Yeah absolutely thanks for being so good about it - got my wrist slapped by the Mrs as well - deservedly so - I don't think I am going to solve this issue sadly - because to be honest there is nothing left to try.

You were probably more help than YouView support themselves to be honest - who also just went down the - Reset everything (which to me is just as obvious as the nose on my face) - but I take your point about most users not even knowing there's a manual in the box when they buy it. And to be fair your wording was a lot clearer than theirs.

So anyhow I know its not a faulty box, its not a faulty router, its not faulty wiring. My Broadband connection to the box is working. I put the box in DMZ on my router - opened ports 80 8080 443 etc - nothing. 
    The box itself works if I take it to another house and connect it to the same router.

So there are two things left I think it could be:

1) Its either my TV Aerial (suddenly) not getting a strong enough signal to recognise On Demand

I semailed YouView about this - they told me it cannot happen....
    But Plusnet on the other hand list it as a major issue....
    https://www.plus.net/help/tv/on-demand/on-demand-players-missing/

Which speaks volumes about the general understanding of these issues in the support community.

Saying that I get 106 freeview channels at 50% signal strength with no quality issues. And there are no logged issues with my transmitter.

2) OR Its my ISP connection - If you think YouView support is bad - then you should try dealing with BT - the only thing left it could be is a line fault at their end. For fun I tried signing up for a New BT TV contract - and guess what - right at the end it said that they could NOT provide BT TV down my landline after testing it - so i'm pretty sure that's the problem. However when I spoke to BT explaining that they didnt have a clue why - because their system showed it working. And they see no fualts on my line - nor is any work being done at my exchange.

Rather than getting a new box, and risking an engineer visit I end up paying for I have decided to ditch the whole BT YouView thing and go with SKY when their Xmas deals come online. In the meantime I will just go without On Demand on the TV.

Sorry again for being so angry about this issue - but I'm a busy man and generally have little patience for detailed troubleshooting.

Note to Phil - thanks for the email - if you want to try and help out - why not respond to this thread mate.
    edited 3 August 2016, 7:14AM
    Dave H2 said:

That worked Scott - sincere thanks for your reply. I've since found other threads with others having similar problems - thanks You View for cocking it all up....
    Dave H2 said:

@goverp deserves all the credit, I just pasted his info. I also think if you read the threads it might actually be the way the BBC have changed it to blame rather than YouView.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 664Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    AJR said:

The YouView box only needs aerial channels once in order to see what region you're in to provide you with the right ITV and C4 on demand players and content. After that you're free to disconnect completely from the aerial and On Demand will still work. i.e. both whoever you emailed and Plusnet are right.

Given that you can take the box elsewhere and it works points quite strongly towards your router being the problem. You mentioned changing DMZ settings, have you been altering the settings otherwise? My gut feel is you may have set up something with static IPs or virtual networks - can you switch that off (and auto DHCP on) to see? And is it a HomeHub supplied by BT or a router of your own? Either way is it worth fully factory resetting it (have you done this?) with those little pin-push buttons they often have on the back? I assume if it's a router of your own, you know to keep a note of the ISP login settings when resetting it.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Dave H2 said:

YouView seems to get the blame for everything, particularly after a software update.

I know that things can go wrong, but to my mind the YouView software updating feature is a big plus point. Most PVRs and TVs are stuck with the feature set that they were given on the day that they were manufactured.
    Dave H2 said:

The feature is great, and the updates can be, though they do little enough each time it seems, and maybe break a few more aging T1000s.

I would not do away with the feature; but like the YouView Sony TVs, I wish you could choose when, or if, you wanted to apply a download that was available to you, instead of having it foisted on you willy-nilly.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    AJR said:

Stephen, I think you've just nailed the route cause of the problem. 
    edited 3 August 2016, 12:50PM
    Dave H2 said:

I was just ranting I suppose - if it ain't broke etc.

I had a problem over a year ago when a software update cocked up my internet, not too long after I got You View. My tablet couldn't get my WiFi signal and thought it had developed a fault. Anyway, it transpired that the software update on You View somehow was the culprit and with the help of an engineer, re-set the box manually in the settings and got the problem fixed. Although there was never a problem in the first place (as above) if you see what I mean.

Normally I would agree with software updates being beneficial.

AJR said:

AJH, you said:-

The box itself works if I take it to another house and connect it to the same router.

Same or similar?

I had the same instinct as Stephen, but it is not clear from the above if you took your router and tried both that and the box in a different house, or if you just meant you  connected it to a router of the same make and model as yours.

In which case, if your router is misconfigured internally, it is not, for all practical purposes 'the same router'. So I am with Stephen on a factory reset of the router, and go from there.

It would also seem from what Stephen says, that a router that has been monkeyed about with carefully and scientifically reconfigured without, possibly, factoring in one or two corner cases, would support the rest of your internet usage without issue, with only the YouView box - possibly the only Ethernet-connected device in the house - being affected?

We will draw, for the moment, a veil over whether that different house had a similar internet connection to the same ISP as yours, with the same services chosen (BT TV or not BT TV, that is the question); enough complication just with the router already, though we may need to revisit this if the router reset does not fix things; where the simplest option would be to try your router and your YouView box together at that house, always assuming that isn't what you meant above.

Re the apparent conflict between the advice you were given about an aerial, and having tuned with it before you could access some Players, the context of the PlusNet quote is where the box has never been tuned to get those channels, not where it has been tuned beforehand, but there is no aerial connected at present, which is the context of the apparently conflicting advice.

So these two sets of advice do not actually conflict;but PlusNet have not quite achieved the clarity I always strive for there :-)

My best to your wife, BTW; she sounds like someone of good judgement, which we may devoutly hope normally extends to her choice of marriage partner :-)
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 904Member ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 9:35PM
    AJR said:

In a thread on the BT community

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/YouView-On-Demand-no-longer-working/m-p/1647386#M30027

it appears that a change of router was tried.