[Discussion] Automatic Software Update August 2016

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    AJR said:

yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.

Visionman - oww :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • StephenStephen Posts: 667Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM
    AJR said:

yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.

Ok well nothing makes sense here. The ethernet cable is fine because it works with a laptop, the HomeHub is fine because it works with everything else (and indeed has been factory reset). And the box is fine because it works when transplanted to another house/internet connection.

So paraphrasing a certain Mr Holmes, it must be AJR's power supply or HDMI TV connection sending unexpected signal/voltages and/or bad vibes. However implausible that may seem. Or the HomeHub has trouble talking to the YouView box but not to the laptop due to an ever so slightly dodgy ethernet cable? Clutching at straws here.
    AJR said:

zulu17

Yes, two changes of router - one when he tried it at his Dad's on an old router there and it worked, and one when he swapped his HH3 for a new HH5, at home, which made no difference.

So worth testing with the HH5 at his Dad's, perhaps, or with that old router at home.

But time now to think outside the box; a broadband filter missing, or gone bad? I have had two broadband filters go bad; the effect was to stop the phone circuits while leaving the broadband unaffected, but it might be easy to suggest a filter could fail the other way, and stop filtering, or affect the broadband perhaps.

I wonder if AJH could try temporarily pulling every phone he has, and every filter, and maybe even plugging the router in as close as possible to the incoming faceplate - maybe even directly in to it - and seeing what effect this has?

Noisy mains, perhaps? Use one of those filtering multiway sockets you can get, that are anathema to PLAs, so they must not be plugged into it, but maybe beneficial to the mains going to the router and to the YouView box?

Or since it is looking more and more like the environment AJH is in, take the somewhat cheeky advice I found in the manual of a rather indifferent pair of KEF speakers from the early 1970's, that if you can't get the sound performance you want by careful speaker placement, perhaps you should move house? :-)

Edit: Stephen - we do seem to be homing in on the same area here, don't we? Except I am fingering the telephone wiring as a further suspect. Where is Keyser Söze when you want him?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    Dave H2 said:

Can anyone help? I have a Humax T1010, connected via Karoo in Hull (not BT).

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Thanks very much for any replies - Dave.

Presumably then it must be possible for a YouView box software update to affect something outside the box. Have you any idea what the mechanism for that might be?

Roy:

I think that if an ageing T1000 falls over the edge after or during a software update, then it must have been quite close to the edge beforehand.
    Dave H2 said:

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Jonesh

I am deeply sceptical of what Dave H reports; if there was anything in a software update that would or could do that, I think we would have heard about it.

That a box can 'go rogue' during an update, I can believe; likewise that a Factory Reset can abolish the rogueness.

I still wonder what the mechanism, even for that, could be though; something to do with the box flooding the router with requests perhaps - a sort of DDOS attack from within - so that it could not service the requests from the laptop.

Under these circumstances, I would expect nothing Internet-connected to work - did you have anything else on the Internet besides the laptop and the YouView box, Dave H, and if so, was that affected?

And also for the problem to abate if the YouView box was powered right off (not just in Standby, necessarily), for as long as it was powered off.

Too late to check now, though, unless you can remember such things, Dave H?

And re T1000s, jonesh, I agree.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    AJR said:

I'd try using the box in a different location in the home, with the ethernet loosely trailed for test purposes.
  • AJRAJR Posts: 20Member
    edited 3 August 2016, 8:33PM
    AJR said:

Cheers Stephen - I considered the HDMI thing - so tried HDMI on my pc (new cable) instead of the TV and also tried a scart lead connection. Im seriously wondering if there is some sort of intermittent fault on the line OR actually on the Lan port of the box itself - going to try it again in another house next week - after initally being REALLY angry about this I am now just simply resigned and find it pretty amusing -

I've never in my life been so obsessed about solving a problem ! To be honest our BT line has a lot of issues that we never really get resolved so we have decided to go to SKY or maybe Virgin Media cable - that way we get a completely new Broadband connection. The last time we had BT out was when the phone wouldn't stop ringing by itself - took them weeks to come and then a whole day to go to the exchange and flick a switch - the engineer at that time said our local exchange was "insert profanity here" so its hardly surprising we have problems - and most of our street are now on Sky or Virgin cable. Oh yeah and I've also put up with a full year of DNS not resolved issues on the internet thanks to BT we had to use Googles DNS Serviers - BT are in a bad way imho.
    edited 3 August 2016, 8:46PM
    AJR said:

Just one more thought - I did replace my modem cable (phone to modem) with a "Belkin High Speed modem" cable a few months ago - I only did it because I found it in a drawer and thought I may as well use it. Its got 4 pins instead of 2 - which of course with hindsight matters not a jot since the Microfilter only has two pins - could this have caused the issue ? My dads cable is still a 2 pin one ? I have tried my old cable again but its made no difference but at the weekend I will factory reset the box again (and the router) with the old cable attached - Phil/Roy any thoughts ?
    AJR said:

I don't know if there is anything here that would be news to you:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_f...

but it is worth a read.

There are four wires, traditionally, in telephone cables, but only two are really needed these days.

Hopefully, your Belkin cable just connects all 4, and there is nothing on the extra 2 to cause any issues, but it will not hurt, and may be of benefit, to go back to the two-wire cable, at least as a test.

I don't suppose the start of your woes coincided with you changing to the Belkin, did it? :-)

Where's the microfilter, by the way? You will see from the above that my advice, and the advice I now see is given in the article referenced, is to disconnect all your phones and filters, so you are just running broadband-only, and see what the effects are.

Oh, and AAMOI, is your Dad on the same exchange as you?

I now wonder if your YouView box connects to the router, and the router puts the signal out to the exchange, and the exchange says "Ha Ha! I'm not passing those packets on!"

Oh, and while Sky may have its own equipment in your local exchange, the 'last mile' will still be BT Overreach FTTC and probably copper to the home.

If you neighbours are OK on Sky, then I guess the BT problems are upstream of that, which is worth knowing; but only Virgin will be completely separate FTTH.
    edited 3 August 2016, 9:28PM
    AJR said:

yeah - I wondered if the cable started it all but it pre-dates the problem sadly :( - also there's been no other impact on my PC, Laptop etc (in fact for the record "Belkin" it made no difference at all). Putting the old cable back in doesnt solve it so I guess its wishful thinking. Dads probably not on the same exchange but I think the fault is in our postcode because a lot of us have had BT problems so it may be a cabinet issue - I do know the exchange has been left to rot because they planned to upgrade it when they had enough infinity demand. Tried disconnecting all the other phone equipment and also connecting the router directly to the main junction inner plug - no joy.

Final thought for tonight... and my wife says I have to mention this (sorry Phil if this gets me slapped)....

She says we have to keep the YouView Box because if we don't then the cat will have nowhere to sleep - you see we took the top off about a fortnight ago so Puss Puss could curl up to the nice warm humming hard drive - she loves it....

And somewhere, someone out there, in YouView lands thinking - what a good idea...
    Dave H2 said:

I was just wondering what YouView would get the blame for next - Trump in the White House, perhaps?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Dave H2 said:

Live Now TV in SD only. Or Hilary getting into the White House.
    edited 4 August 2016, 10:52AM
    AJR said:

On a more serious note - when I look at Device Settings the ISP CONFIGURATION bit is blank - and this is the bit that tells the box where to get its On demand settings from - why would that be and is that the problem
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I think we now need to start differentiating between issues caused by the software in an update, and issues caused by the fact of an update.

Software issues are where the update goes perfectly, but the new code has a bug or bugs which affect the user experience. Usually, it seems, for many but not all users, though one such could in principle affect only one person, or a very few indeed.

But such a bug is largely describable, and repeatable.

However, there seems to be another class of people for whom an update deranges their box, in all sorts of weird ways, and the reports from these are highly individual, and usually describe multiple, rather inconsistent, patterns of behaviour.

Some are solved with a simple soft reset, others need a more drastic Maintenance Mode intervention, and some don't ever recover.

For this reason, I don't think YouView should ever put out an update unless there is something really worthwhile it it.

Also, of course, they should tell us what is in the update, though that should be a given.

Of course, we must guard against the tendency for a user with a deranged box that happened entirely at random to look back and blame the latest update, even if that was weeks prior.

I think though, when trying to blame YouView for the ills of the American political system, we must be careful to distinguish between a charged-up Trump and a trumped-up charge :-)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    AJR said:

And if you look at the bottom of my first reply (the fourth post) you will see I asked you that question but you were too busy ranting...maybe a lesson here :-)
    edited 4 August 2016, 11:34AM
    AJR said:

hey Im eating a massive humble pie right now ok ;)
    AJR said:

Scott de Nostredame?

If it truly is blank, I'd trigger a software update next time you're round somewhere else testing it on another connection.
    edited 4 August 2016, 11:35AM
    AJR said:

yeah that was my thinking too - going to pop round to my dads at the weekend and see if that fixes it - exciting or what !
    edited 4 August 2016, 11:35AM
    AJR said:

yeah that was my thinking too - going to pop round to my dads at the weekend and see if that fixes it - exciting or what !
    AJR said:

AJR - what version is Puss? You need at least Cat 5 for YouView :-)

But however Tennessee Williams it may seem, your moggie will be making the box overheat - as will, perhaps paradoxically, running it without its lid, as this is designed to help manage the airflow.

So hie you down to PetsRus, or whatever it is called, and buy Puss a nice basket, and or a leccy blanket, and issue a categorical blanket ban on her/his sleeping on the box.

Not having any ISP Settings will certainly stop your box talking to your router; and if it isn't talking to your router, it hardly matters what is downstream of that, for the moment at least.

In Settings/Network & Internet, do you have Wired Connection set to Automatic? If not, set that (right arrow on the buttons around OK) .

But whether it is already set Automatic or not, move to Next with the down arrow, and OK It.

The YouView box should then attempt to connect to your router.

If this fails then, as I think you have PLAs(?), try to put the YouView box in direct, single Ethernet cable as short as possible, contact with the router, and try again.

If this works, that would imply PLA issues, for which the fix can be to put them both on a multiway mains adaptor, but not a surge suppressing one - or better, if you can, on the two outlets in a single double socket - reboot them, and re-pair them.

Then put everything back how it was, and reboot each device in turn - router, PLA nearest the router, PLA nearest the YouView box, and finally the box itself.

And then report back!

Disclaimer: I have two sets of PLAs in this house, and have personally carried out the above procedure when trying to revive what turned out to be a dead YouView box. No Google pages were harmed, or even accessed, in the provision of this advice :-)
    AJR said:

Stephen, our very own Elliot though hopefully without the hangups, said:-

Scott de Nostredame?

You mean he had a hunch back then?
    edited 4 August 2016, 3:38PM
    AJR said:

Thanks Roy tried the Router DIRECT to the box - both show as being connected to each other - but still no On Demand - I'm actually hoping the box now wont connect to my dads router at the weekend either then I can just bin it. At least I wont have to suffer any more terrible CAT jokes ;). Its quite possible that partition on the Hard Drive that has the software on is corrupt - so I may also try replacing the Hard Drive in the box for a bit of "fun". Will let you know what happens.
    AJR said:

When it is physically connected directly, what does it say in Settings | Network & Internet | Network Connection Status (both pages)?
    edited 4 August 2016, 5:41PM
    AJR said:

As per these Photos Stephen if its any help ?
    AJR said:

(Aghast) You let your cat sleep on the exposed works of a box that has mains voltages running live inside?image

Joking apart, It all looks fine; your router is up the top end of the range, rather than the bottom end like mine, but that shouldn't matter. Bit strange there is no ISP configuration entry, but I would like to know if Stephen makes anything of that or not.

Your DNS entry is the router, but that is pretty normal; you could try setting the Google 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (IIRC) but that shouldn't change anything if your router is handling DNS properly.
    edited 4 August 2016, 8:08PM
    AJR said:

maybe the cat ate the hamster that drives the wheel powering the damn thing ?
    AJR said:

Apologies if you have already said, but how old is your box?

Am I correct in assuming that the cat story is a joke?
    edited 4 August 2016, 8:36PM
    AJR said:

18 months - yeah the cat things a joke - we would never let it sleep where it poos. Also I can Ping the box from my PC image
    AJR said:

Maybe the cat peed on your box while you weren't looking.
    AJR said:

The cat crept into the YouView box, crapped and crept out again?

No wonder you think these boxes are full of ****, but perhaps it's just yours? :-)