[Discussion] Automatic Software Update August 2016

Comments

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    AJR said:

yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.

I have a response Roy, but social inhibition has blocked it. :-)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    AJR said:

yes Roy - If you actually bother to read my post before you chipped in with your usual drivel you'd know I've done all that - I am getting thoroughly sick of people giving me advice who seem to think I don't also know how to use Google lol (no offence pal). So lets assume I have tried everything that you can find online.

:-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    AJR said:

I've had a very busy day, so I'm a bit late with this. Earlier you mentioned a chap who had a hunch back then. You are incorrect. He had a sandwich. He got it from the lunch-pack of . . . .
    AJR said:

Molten HTML, Molten HTML....

https://youtu.be/aKQJdf8HeUw
  • Adam_TAdam_T Posts: 44Member
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM
    Hi, im still on 22.18.0 on a BT retail box plugged into a TalkTalk like, still no sign of the update or even the previous one it seems... :-/
    Any ideas or as its on a TalkTalk like that could have "some effect"?

Thankyou :-)
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 314Member
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM
    Roll-outs are phased.  One of the recent Humax/BT ones took 3 weeks to be available to download for all relevant models.
    You are going to need to be patient.
    edited 21 December 2016, 9:19PM
    Adam_T said:

Hi, im still on 22.18.0 on a BT retail box plugged into a TalkTalk like, still no sign of the update or even the previous one it seems... :-/

Roll-outs are phased.  One of the recent Humax/BT ones took 3 weeks to be available to download for all relevant models.
    You are going to need to be patient.
  • Adam_TAdam_T Posts: 44Member
    edited 5 August 2016, 4:35PM
    Adam_T said:

Oh defo, ive been a Youview user since it were first launched so I know all about being patient heh; just i believe im actually two-updates behind and not just one so wondered whether the version im currently on is what its going from for the latest update or if there's one ahead :-)
  • Dave H2Dave H2 Posts: 6Member
    edited 5 August 2016, 5:10PM
    Dave H2 said:

Can anyone help? I have a Humax T1010, connected via Karoo in Hull (not BT).

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Thanks very much for any replies - Dave.

Hi Roy - no need to be sceptical, just reporting what happened.

With the previous case of the internet problem which was over 18 months ago, IIRC it happened on my tablet but not on my PC. The tablet was fairly new and I thought it had gone faulty.

I remember taking my tablet over to my neighbours and hooked up to his WiFi and it connected, but wouldn't at home. I can't remember why I took it there, maybe my PC was also not connected - but it eliminated my tablet being at fault.

Anyway, I recall that eventually, talking to a YouView engineer (believe YV not Humax) that he said the software update had upset some mobile devices. We went through a manual reconfig on the box and voila, the tablet reconnected. I can't remember if this also affected my on demand. 

So it was the software update that caused it. I'd already done a re-boot of my modem a couple of times beforehand but that didn't cure it. Hope this helps.

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Dave H2 said:

Since the software update, just cannot get teletext via the text button, will only give me Red Button+ via the red button (and telext from there). This teletex version is not the same as the direct one and is slow, awful to navigate. I connected my arial direct to the TV and teletext works from that correctly, so I know it's the Humax box and the software update that is causing it.

After contacting Humax, they sent me instructions and tried a factory reset+keep recordings, then tried a software reset all via the maintenance mode - neither worked. Humax now fobbed me off saying contact BBC Iplayer or You View direct.

Not the end of the world with this teletext problem but most annoying when everything was working fine beforehand.

Anyone have a solution to try?. Did another obvious thing and powered off the box and re-booted - nothing changed.

Sorry, just picked up on this, but your tablet worked on your neighbour's wifi connection, but not yours and this is a YouView problem? Maybe I am misunderstanding your example?
    edited 5 August 2016, 6:24PM
    Dave H2 said:

Yes, as I said, the engineer confirmed that the software update had upset some mobile devices. This, I assume, is because You View is connected via an Ethernet cable to my modem, which glitched the modem. I'm not an expert so can't clarify any further but the update did definitely cause the problem.
    Dave H2 said:

The fact that an engineer said that does not necessarily mean that it is true. I would need an explanation of the mechanism of how a software update to a YouView box could affect other devices connected to a network before I accepted it as fact.
    Dave H2 said:

I didn’t know that YouView had engineers. Maybe one of the YouView people who monitor this forum could comment on this issue.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Dave H2 said:

They don't...
    The problem stated above disrupted a small number of connections to external devices. But deleting and then re-installing the app solved the problem. 
    Dave H2 said:

Could you expand on that please Visionman? What connections to what type of devices? What app?

Thanks
    Dave H2 said:

I think that I understand what you are saying vm, but is that what Dave H is saying?

He said that his tablet would connect to a neighbour's WiFi, but not to his own, but a manual re-set of his YouView box cured the problem.

Weird
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Dave H2 said:

I don't have any apps, so can't expand any further, sorry.
    But I was talking about disconnection to the box, not a users wifi. So definitely weird.
    edited 21 December 2016, 9:19PM
    Adam_T said:

With the exception of the Ultra box, 22.18.0 is the version most BT/HUMAX/Plusnet will be on prior to this latest update.

See http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/Latest-Software-Versions
    Dave H2 said:

Yes. Thanks VM.
    Adam_T said:

Our BT supplied box is on 22.18.0 and it works as it should. I can't see the point of software update anxiety.
    edited 7 August 2016, 7:06AM
    Dave H2 said:

Oh dear, I used the wrong word - "engineer" - whatever....

An app wasn't involved - talking about bog standard WiFi connection. Anyway, that's what happened - end of.

I'll leave you sceptics to it. Many thanks again to Scott for solving my problem.

Adam_T said:

That's because you have never updated and seen your box nosedive to zero operational capability with a BFIS.

Or because you have never updated and found all your recordings going 'phut' after three minutes.

Even though these particular issues have now been eliminated, they still leave scars for those who have experienced them :-(
    Adam_T said:

I take your point, but I was referring to reports that suggest a feeling of somehow missing out because a box hasn't yet received the latest update.
    Adam_T said:

they still leave scars for those who have experienced them

Scars? A TV box going wrong and/or losing a few recordings leaves scars? What language do you reserve for when something serious has happened? :-)
    Adam_T said:

Not sure which of you to answer :-)

As to jonesh1, I see what you mean; there has been no compelling update that I can recall for too long now.

To jonesh2, for the truly serious I would probably let out an inchoate wail that would freeze the marrow of all who heard it, but If I could aspire to words, I might borrow those of someone who expresses grief much better than I can:-

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/p...
    Adam_T said:

Is it possible for a software update to a TV box to be truly compelling?
    Adam_T said:

I once helped rescue a bird in Spain that was crawling with ticks; the old lady who lives above us was clearly an expert in this, plucking each tick off one by one, throwing them to the ground and stamping on them.

But that too was only.......
    Adam_T said:

Nit picking?
    Adam_T said:

No. Can't be nit picking. Ticks are arachnids and nits are the eggs of an insect.

Sorry about the two posts. It wouldn't let me edit the first one.
    Adam_T said:

They mite have been lice......