Does a BT Youview box from Currys need Internet for EPG?

RobertsPJRobertsPJ Member Posts: 7
edited 24 May 2017, 10:04PM in Archived Posts
The in laws need a new freeview recorder. I am looking at the BT youview+ box. They have standard broadband from BT but at around 2mbs

I appreciate that 2mbs is not suitable for BBC iplayer etc, but does the BT youview+ box need a broadband connection for any other purposes?

Will the EPG work without a BB connection? What about software updates?

Thanks

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Hi. Yes the EPG will still work without a broadband connection (using the Freeview supplied one), but updates wont.

Whilst it can and is done, I personally wouldn't recommend a YouView box without an internet connection. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Robert - whilst a YouView box is intended to have an internet connection, it can fall back and work as a typical PVR without such a connection. As you note a broadband speed of only 2Mb is likely to be too low for the on demand players to work, I would assume though it will be enough for the other features that leverage a network connection.

Without a network connection the EPG will work as other non-network freeview PVRs whereas with a network connection it will augment the EPG data with information it gets via the network connection (although this info can actually turn out to be less good that the normal info in some cases).

The search feature will also leverage the internet connection, and in fact possibly will not work at all without it (i.e. it will not simply search the forwards EPG based on the over the air info).

Software updates are via the network connection and whilst there have not been any major features or bug fixes of late it would generally be a good idea to get the software updates as they come out.

So overall you could use a YouView PVR without a network connection, but it  is better/recommended (even with a slow connection) to keep it networked to thus have the additional EPG data, search functionality, and get the updates as and when they come out.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Keith,
    One can't use 'Search' with an internet speed of only 2Mbps, as selected content won't work. Plus of course they'll be no players or updates. And if ones box locks or crashes (showing my age there) one would almost always certainly need an internet connection to fix it (apart from a soft reboot).
    As such I wouldn't recommend a hybrid YouView for and as a bog standard Freeview HD PVR.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Visionman said:

Keith,
    One can't use 'Search' with an internet speed of only 2Mbps, as selected content won't work. Plus of course they'll be no players or updates. And if ones box locks or crashes (showing my age there) one would almost always certainly need an internet connection to fix it (apart from a soft reboot).
    As such I wouldn't recommend a hybrid YouView for and as a bog standard Freeview HD PVR.

Indeed with such a slow broadband speed most of the results returned from a search will not be usable. I seem to recall though search does not work at all without an internet connection and one may still want to use the search to find future programmes in the upcoming EPG in order to set a recording (and hence a basic network connection to enable finding such result could still be desirable).

If one has no plans to get a faster broadband connection then a YouView box is not necessarily a great fit for such an environment. If, however, one expects to get faster broadband in the (near) future it could still be a reasonable purchase now with a view to leveraging the full functionality in due course.

If that is unlikely then one might ask what is the best mainstream non-internet connected PVR one should consider instead? I've not looked at many other PVRs for some time but could imagine many now have added internet functionality whether by moving to adopt FreeView Play or just their own network functionality implementation.

All in all though a YouView box is designed to be used as a network connected device and requires a minimum speed to be over 3Mb (and ideally a little faster than that too). If the intended user environment does not fit that then it is well worth looking at other options first to see if they are a better fit.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Visionman said:

Keith,

And you, Visionman, were the one who said I was negative....

They are with BT, they can get a BT box, and they should.

And while they are ordering it, they can ask BT WTF they are only getting 2 MB (I am in a hill village in Spain and I get 10 FFS*) and what BT propose to do about it?

*Until next week. Next week I get 300Mbps FTTP. In a 2000 population, 2000 feet above sea level, Pueblos Blancos hill village here. A high-powered lady came out personally from Malaga to sign me up, for no more than I am paying now, after I made my expression of interest last year.

Eat your hearts out, BT Overreach....
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Visionman said:

Keith,

Thats a poor comment. And not helpful, either.
    Visionman said:

Keith,

Yes, well, we know you are happy with what you are given.

But who is saying 2Mbs is the best they can do?

Why buy a BT YouView box from Curry's when you can sign up to BT TV for a year if you are with BT ( as his in laws are), and get more, and much cheaper, that way?

And if BT say, 'No, your internet is too slow' you just say 'Well, FFS, whose fault is that? *Do* something about it!'

I'm sorry if I'm not passive or accepting enough for you, but that isn't how I roll, and nor should anyone else be.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Visionman said:

Keith,

Thats also a poor comment. And not helpful to and for the OP, either.
    Visionman said:

Keith,

OK, let's summarise the key points:-

RobertsPJ's in laws want a PVR. Their ISP is BT. Their speed is around 2Mbps.

RobertsPJ is considering the purchase of a YouView box to be that PVR.

You have recently described the YouView PVR as being far in advance of any other PVR on the market; I concur.

Rather than having to buy a YouView PVR outright, those whose ISP is BT can get one via a monthly subscription to BT TV, which, if run for the minimum 12 months, works out cheaper than buying retail, and if run for longer, provides extra services which many users think are worth the continuing subscription.

But you, and Keith to a lesser extent, are raising reservations due to that 2Mbps speed that might point RobertsPJ in the direction of some alternative PVR.

All for the lack of the extra 1 Mbps that would let the YouView box's Internet features work acceptably, at least to support the extended EPG and allow software updates without issues.

My take on this is not to accept that 2Mbps as a given, but to query with BT if it can't possibly be improved; internal changes like the optimised faceplate, having the router as close as possible to that faceplate, having a more recent router even, are all internal changes that BT could help those in laws consider. Quite apart from anything that BT could do to optimise their line, make tweaks at the exchange, and so on.

Maybe it can be done and maybe it can't, but if you don't ask you don't get.

And if it can be done, I think we all agree that the YouView box becomes unequivocally the way to go?

So my advice is to talk to BT about getting that speed up if at all possible.

I think this is more helpful to the OP than your advice is.

But this is for the OP to decide, not you and me.
  • RobertsPJRobertsPJ Member Posts: 7
    edited 14 September 2016, 1:28PM
    Thanks for the all the input.

The in laws used to use their computer a lot, but now they don't and therefore we're thinking of cancelling their broadband altogether. Being OAP with limited income this makes sense. Their daughter lives two doors away and therefore if they do need internet access it won't be the end of the world.

I asked the question because the BT YV box is the cheapest I could find on Curry's website with a disk for recording. All the set top boxes seem to have some internet connectivity these days http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_3...
    so finding a "standard one" at a reasonable price may be difficult.

We could do updates by taking the BT YV box to their daughter but wanted to make sure that the BT YV box would work without an internet connection.

I tried disconnecting my older BT supplied YV box last night and the EPG worked. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a one-off.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    PJ, there are some cracking deals with BT Broadband at the moment as they are involved in a war with SKY. Have they ever haggled at renewal or considered switching to fibre? I pay £13.50 for 74Mbps Unlimited BT Infinity 2.
  • RobertsPJRobertsPJ Member Posts: 7
    edited 19 April 2017, 9:35AM
    Visionman, I normally haggle for them but since OFCOM changed the migration process and there is no need to request a MAC code, I find there is not as much leverage. Requesting a MAC code showed intent to move and therefore would produce better details from the Customer Options team. Now, I can say I will leave, but maybe it doesn't have leverage. Once the process has been started BT cantnot contact me and provide a better offer.

Fibre would be more expensive and require an activation fee. I guess it wouldn't be cost efficient.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 544 ✭✭
    edited 16 September 2016, 11:31AM
    RobertsPJ said:

Visionman, I normally haggle for them but since OFCOM changed the migration process and there is no need to request a MAC code, I find there is not as much leverage. Requesting a MAC code showed intent to move and therefore would produce better details from the Customer Options team. Now, I can say I will leave, but maybe it doesn't have leverage. Once the process has been started BT cantnot contact me and provide a better offer.

Fibre would be more expensive and require an activation fee. I guess it wouldn't be cost efficient.

It's worth talking to the BT Customer Options team on 0800 800 030. You'd be surprised what they might offer to get a customer to re-sign for another year.