YouView from Sony? any updates?

DJHB1980DJHB1980 Member Posts: 166
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Has any of the functionality or usability changed or been enhanced on this. I have it but rarely use it as it's a poor substitute for Sky. I like the idea but what does it really do.
Can't compete with freeview play or Freesat free time. Would software upgrade to allow feature on YouView boxes give this a shift. Probably yes.
Whilst BT are about to buy the platform I think movement won't happen but adding pay options on top would help.
Any news would be appreciated.

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    "Would software upgrade to allow feature on YouView boxes give this a shift"
    What do you mean?
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Member Posts: 166
    edited 17 February 2017, 10:54PM
    The recording facility in the boxes,
    if this was available on the Sony TV version it would be helpful.

Some sort of link to the pay channels and a way to watch them. BT Sports/Sky Sports.
    All of the channels on the YouView EPG, delivery via IPTV
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,275 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    YouView famously play their cards close to their chest, so if there is an update coming, you won't know about it until it appears.

Until then, you have the 7-day backward EPG, the ITV and All4 players, and YouView's much-vaunted integrated search, stacked up against a rather more flexible, albeit only forward-facing, Freeview EPG, the ability to record, and the ability to use satellite reception, albeit with a fairly appalling non-FreeSat EPG.

YouView on the boxes has many fine features - record, pause and rewind live TV, set Reminders - that would tip the scales here in favour of YouView, but we have, alas, yet to see them on these Sony TVs, and nor do we hear any rumblings about if and when they might be available :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    If the free part of YouView teamed up with Freesat it could be interesting to have a hybrid Freesat/Freeview DVBT2/DVBS2
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    DJHB1980 said:

If the free part of YouView teamed up with Freesat it could be interesting to have a hybrid Freesat/Freeview DVBT2/DVBS2

Technically, that is the spec of the tuners in the Sony YouView TVs.

They just don't have the FreeSat EPG, which makes a world of difference to the satellite experience.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    DJHB1980 said:

To reiterate what Roy has said, these TVs don't have a Freesat EPG. So you may have bought the wrong product?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 1 December 2016, 1:36PM
    DJHB1980 said:

I was talking hypothetically.
    I know there is zero chance of YouView over Satellite.

BT will buy it and license it to TalkTalk and the other shareholders will make a healthy profit.

It remains to be seen what will happen to the non subscription boxes and if licensing will continue with them.
    DJHB1980 said:

You think we are going to get 'nail' boxes? :-)

http://www.oddee.com/item_99288.aspx
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    DJHB1980 said:

D

DJHB1980, if you purchased any TV (any make, any model) based upon what you expected them to update, you would have bought the wrong TV.
    DJHB1980 said:

That isn't quite true though, is it?

Sony released their HDR-capable 2016 sets without the HDR operative, but promised there would be an upgrade later to support this.

Which, according to Phil's tumbleweed moment lower down in the Conversation list, Sony have now done.

So, did those now benefitting from this update 'buy the wrong TV'?
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    DJHB1980 said:

Is that the update posted here which has no Youview content at all? I did smile at that one. :)
    1. I think the expectation of the YouView software allowing recording is not beyond reality.

2. Neither is Freesat ability & a Freesat EPG for the satellite receiver within the TV.

And thirdly, 3. the ability to have both these running concurrently,
    being able to switch between Freeview (YouView)
    & Satellite (Freesat)

None of the above seem to suggest hardware change but only software enhancements.

If only someone from Sony read these forums!!!!
    DJHB1980 said:

Yes, but isn't that also true of most YouView box updates these days? :-)
    If only someone from Sony read their own bl**dy forums!

The only way you are guaranteed a response on them would be to post the above without the asterisks.

When they would be down on it like a ton of bricks.

But post about the absurdly dysfunctional (still!) state of their Android YouView TVs and they are nowhere to be seen :-(

In my opinion Sony as it is currently constituted does not deserve to be allowed to sell television sets.
    1. I think the expectation of the YouView software allowing recording is not beyond reality. 
    Of course it isn't.

2. Neither is Freesat ability & a Freesat EPG for the satellite receiver within the TV. 
    That unfortunately is never going to happen, as Sony didn't buy the rights for the supply of or  broadcasting of a Freesat EPG, and nor do they have any desire to.

& Satellite (Freesat)
    Thats never going to happen either, as these TVs don't have a dual platform mode. Its one or the other.
    Query - do any dual TVs offer dual a platform mode where one can switch from one to the other at will?

• stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    Visionman said:

Of course it isn't.

That unfortunately is never going to happen, as Sony didn't buy the rights for the supply of or  broadcasting of a Freesat EPG, and nor do they have any desire to.

& Satellite (Freesat)
    Thats never going to happen either, as these TVs don't have a dual platform mode. Its one or the other.
    Query - do any dual TVs offer dual a platform mode where one can switch from one to the other at will?

I am not sure they run concurrently as the TV can only display one picture at a time, but on my ageing Panasonic I can switch readily between Freeview and Freesat with no delay.

I have often wondered why Sony don't just pay for the Freesat EPG as it would be another plus point for their TVs in the UK.
    Sony TV's do have, or have had, Freesat in the past,
    so why not again?

They have a satellite input and in some cases 2 inputs,
    if Freesat is not a consideration why have this at all.

Is this serving another type of customer?

I know nothing of the workings of the TV's that have both Freeview HD & Freesat HD tuners,
    perhaps a Panasonic TV owner with those could comment .

Just a little confused.
    Had a phone glitch and didn't see the comment from "stormy"
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 8:19PM
    Visionman said:

Of course it isn't.

& Satellite (Freesat)

"... and nor do they have any desire to."
    How do you know that Visionman?
    Visionman said:

Of course it isn't.

& Satellite (Freesat)

These Sony sets can perfectly well dual platform between their Freeview OTA and their Satellite service, as indeed can every other TV I own that has dual feeds for these two services.

So what is so special, or so inept, about YouView that it could not simply take over from Freeview? And perfectly well coexist with Satellite as it does with everything else on the TV, except Satellite?

I suspect the problem is that the TV cannot accommodate both the footprint of YouView and the footprint of Satellite at the same time.

And that as the footprint of YouView with recording capability would be even bigger, this would exacerbate the problem.

And depending on its severity, and on whether or not optimisations can exist to reduce one or both footprints, we may never see recording from YouView on these TVs.

Similar considerations may restrict the possibility of adding the FreeSat EPG to these TVs also.