Corruption watching paid for channels (skysports, MTV, comedy central, etc)

Neal MadlaniNeal Madlani Posts: 5Member
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Whilst streaming paid for channels (list above in title) I get video streaming corruption every 5 seconds, ranging from macro blocking to pink and green coloring mainly on moving sequences. These channels are pretty much unwatchable, especially skysports which I'm paying a premium for.

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Please state your ISP supplier, connection method (hard wired or not), and model of box. 
  • Neal MadlaniNeal Madlani Posts: 5Member
    edited 9 October 2016, 9:27AM
    ISP = BT Fiber
    Connection = Wired to a ASUS RT-AC56U Router
    Model = DTR-T2100/500G/BT/DF 
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Just did a speed test to rule that out, 47MB/s down 16MB/s up.

Edited: Typo
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

Just did a speed test to rule that out, 47MB/s down 16MB/s up.

Edited: Typo

That's not a BT Home Hub, Neal, so you will be on your own here as far as BT are concerned :-(

Do you know for a fact that that router supports multicast?

Did you configure it yourself?

What happens if you put the BT-supplied Home Hub back in its stead - does that solve your problems here?

(Even if it leaves you, for the moment, back with the issues that presumably made you switch from the BT standard router in the first place?)
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    I'm sorry to inform you that the only ASUS router that is IGMP and multicast compatible is the RT-N66U, so you'll need to switch back to the BT Home Hub. Though the good news is you can piggy back the two routers, using the BT Hub just for YouView and the ASUS for all other functions.
    edited 10 October 2016, 8:49AM
    Visionman said:

I'm sorry to inform you that the only ASUS router that is IGMP and multicast compatible is the RT-N66U, so you'll need to switch back to the BT Home Hub. Though the good news is you can piggy back the two routers, using the BT Hub just for YouView and the ASUS for all other functions.

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try :D
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    You may have to do a firmware update, but subject to that your router assuredly does support IPTV, you will need to Enable multicast (IGMP):

Double-click on the image if it is too small.
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Redchiz, couldn't thank you enough...your screenshot prompted me to play with the configuration. I already had IGMP Proxy and Snooping enabled, however, I changed "Use DHCP Routes" from "Microsoft" to "RFC3442 & Microsoft" and the problem is 90% better and definately watchable. I'd hazard a guess that if I moved this to "RFC3442" the issue would be solved.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Good find redchiz. This router isn't on BTs list of known third party multicast routers, so it clearly needs updating. I'd do it myself on here, but don't have the necessary admin powers  to do so. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    Visionman said:

Good find redchiz. This router isn't on BTs list of known third party multicast routers, so it clearly needs updating. I'd do it myself on here, but don't have the necessary admin powers  to do so. 

I don't think anyone at YouView, even, has the power to change BT's lists :-(
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

Redchiz, couldn't thank you enough...your screenshot prompted me to play with the configuration. I already had IGMP Proxy and Snooping enabled, however, I changed "Use DHCP Routes" from "Microsoft" to "RFC3442 & Microsoft" and the problem is 90% better and definately watchable. I'd hazard a guess that if I moved this to "RFC3442" the issue would be solved.

Glad to see you've made progress. I can't advise further on the detail of the settings I'm afraid, but it may be worth a look at the BT forums where other users have got similar routers working.