Problems with Youview and Samsung Soundbar

eric camperic camp Posts: 5Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Just changed to a YouView box from a basic BT Tv box and now my sound bar doesnt come on when the tv is on. All worked fine before. Any good knowledgeable person out there can help?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Make and model of soundbar would help, and how your connected (ARC, HDMI, etc).
  • eric camperic camp Posts: 5Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Sound bar is a Samsung F550. Got the HDMI from the out of the SB to HDMI in 4 (DVI) on TV. The BT YouView box has HDMI from the box to HDMI IN 3 on the Samsung TV. Got a few other connections going on but happy to start from scratch
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    eric camp said:

Sound bar is a Samsung F550. Got the HDMI from the out of the SB to HDMI in 4 (DVI) on TV. The BT YouView box has HDMI from the box to HDMI IN 3 on the Samsung TV. Got a few other connections going on but happy to start from scratch

Just for test purposes, try another HDMI input and see what happens.
    edited 9 October 2016, 7:02PM
    eric camp said:

tried swapping them about a bit but no joy. Also tried putting the HDMI on the "in" on the sound bar 
    edited 9 October 2016, 7:14PM
    eric camp said:

Thanks Visionman, just found the problem which was the "soundshare" option on the TV had been turned off. Bit strange as I'm the only one that messes with the menus and I definitely hadn't changed it. Would a software update on the TV change this?
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    eric camp said:

It shouldn't do, but individual pieces of 3rd party kit aren't system wide issues. So individual pieces of jiggery-pokery are required. My cinema system, for instance, can sometimes lose the sound when I switch a channel. But hitting the mute button twice always cures the problem.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi eric

My Samsung TV loses Soundshare from time to time; certainly when either TV or soundbar is powered right off and on again, as this is a dynamic rather than a configuration option, such that the TV seems to decide at startup time if the Soundshare option is still valid, and switches back to the TV speakers if not.

Did you power either device off, or switch input sound source on the soundbar, when swapping the YouView devices? That would do it.

A software update of the TV will not fix this, as the behaviour (if it is one of the above) is by design; unlike my previous Sony TV, which once switched away from the TV speakers would stay switched away, meaning there would be nothing but silence if the chosen sound receiving device wasn't listening for some reason, bewildering and disappointing non-techie TV watchers, the Samsung will endeavour to always provide you with sound, dropping back to its speakers when the Soundshare device does not handshake.

So I presume that while the soundbar wasn't working, you were still getting sound directly from the TV?
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
    Yes it worked directly through the TV. Only device that was added was the BT you view box. It is possible that my better half pressed buttons without realising it though the share view option is buried in the menus! 
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    eric camp said:

Yes it worked directly through the TV. Only device that was added was the BT you view box. It is possible that my better half pressed buttons without realising it though the share view option is buried in the menus! 

It is often a mistake to blame your partner.

It leads, not just to tears, but to little passive/aggressive notes, like 'Your dinner is in the dog' :-)
  • UrsaUrsa Posts: 71Member
    An option is to connect the YV Box Optical sound output direct to the Soundbar: you might have to fiddle with ARC and other options - and mute the TV speakers tho ... you can then save that HDMI cable from SB to TV ... the YV Box will also then power on the SB ....
    Ursa said:

An option is to connect the YV Box Optical sound output direct to the Soundbar: you might have to fiddle with ARC and other options - and mute the TV speakers tho ... you can then save that HDMI cable from SB to TV ... the YV Box will also then power on the SB ....

Yes, but you then need that HDMI cable to run from the TV to the soundbar, so that when you are watching anything other than the YouView-box-on-D.IN-(Optical), you can still get the sound from the TV or anything connected to it, via ARC.

And while you get a couple of cables with the soundbar, you don't get the TOSLINK cable you would need for an optical connection; so if you don't have one already, you will have to pony up for that.

But SoundShare is a bit rubbish anyway, being Bluetooth and not even APT-X, so I changed to using HDMI.

Which, as far as I can tell, eric can do with his original 2 HDMI cables arrangement, simply by selecting Input Mode TV on the soundbar remote, and pressing the Speaker button on that remote until it selects ARC Air Track (TV ARC).

I think that is what I did; I can maybe check this Wednesday when I am next back in front of the Samsung devices in question.
    Ursa said:

OK eric, I'm back in front of my setup, which has an HW-F450 soundbar, and a remote identical to yours, except that where your TV Exit button is, I have DIMMER for the display mine has on its front.

So I gave up on SoundShare, removed the optical cable, and ran an HDMI cable from the HDMI Out of the Soundbar to HDMI 3 on the One Connect box for the Samsung TV, the one input that supports ARC.

Then I selected D.IN (not TV) with the SOURCE button on the s/b remote, turned on Anynet, as it was Off, and that was enough to make the soundbar burst into life.

I didnt have to select SPEAKER, though this might be needed, just as I might not have had to select Anynet if it had already been On.

Now when I operate the volume control on the TV, it says SAT (for Surround Air Track), and does control the volume, which I see changing on the display on the soundbar; I don't know what yours would do if it does not have such a display.

Playing with the Sound Effect and 3D Sound Plus buttons, I like Drama on Sound Effect and Movie on 3D Sound; it doesn't do both at once, so which is best depends on what I'm watching. YMMV of course.

The manual for the soundbar certainly does its best to hide away what is arguably the best option :-(