Suggestion for increasing remaining disk space on a Humax

Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 314Member
edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM in Archived Posts
This is a suggestion is for an improvement of the Humax Youview+ boxes. If Humax updating them to only record only the details from the aerial stream required for supporting playback then there would be more space left for additional recordings. 

If the same schedule is recording on both a Humax Youview+ box and a Huawei Youview+ box, after any difference in disk size is taken in to account, the Humax will fill up faster.  The reason is that the Humax records more than is necessary.  On average if Humax were to be as efficient as a Huawei then the amount of space saved would be about 20% for most people, who record a mix of HD, SD and radio.  This would result in about 25% more aerial recordings being able to fit onto the disk.  (It goes from 20% to 25% as the extra recordings would of course also not have any superfluous details embedded in them.)

As an example, last March I set a DTR-T2100 and a DN720T to record a number of Insight radio series.  The percentage available space on the dropped by 10% while the Huawei was still under 2%.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    That would imply that Huaweis are 400% more efficient at recording radio programmes than Humaxes, though, not 20%, wouldn't it?

But with the same, or essentially the same, YouView software feeding the data stream to the disc drive, where would any difference be coming from?
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 314Member
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM
    Reply to first question:
    Yes the Huaweis are far more efficient compared to Humax for radio, bit not everyone just records radio programmes on their Youview+.  At the other end of the spectrum with HD content the difference on the main HD multiplex is only 4%.  This is why I said "about 20% for most people, who record a mix of HD, SD and radio".  The 20% figure is your average user and not an individual recording.
    The worst bloat comes from recording the SDN multiplex as that has the largest number of epg events for its multiplex. 

Reply to second question:
    Where the difference between the Humax and the Huawei comes from is that for terrestrial HD recordings the Humax records the entire EPG carousel for the multiplex being recorded.

As we move to mpeg4 and DVB-T2 with more events per multiplex the bloat will increase further unless Humax change back to at least what they use to do on their SD freeview PVRs.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    So a Huawei with 384Mb can hold nearly as much as a Humax with 500Mb? Verrry interesting....
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now