Youview application streaming to mobile device

Charles LennardCharles Lennard Posts: 2Member
edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM in Archived Posts
Are there any plans to offer a You View "anywhere" service so that I can watch recorded programmes on a mobile device? I believe that Sky have this facility

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    You mean "anywhere" within your home wireless network? An interesting proposition I suppose, but YouView have no wireless capability on their boxes at present and they are designed to be used with any router, unlike Sky's integrated system, so there would be some challenges there.
  • Charles LennardCharles Lennard Posts: 2Member
    edited 17 October 2016, 1:14PM
    Well in the home would be a start.. but ideally, if I can record a programme via my app on my phone, the next step should be that I can stream the recording back to the phone anywhere via the net..

However, the hardware capability seems like a big impediment to that happening - would be fantastic though!
    Well, Sky can't do that with all their boxes put together, so I guess we will all be waiting a little while longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM
    You can on a tablet or mobile device go to the YouView app and on many of the catch up channels watch programs but scrolling back the guide and if it has the play symbol you can watch that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM
    Don't forget YouView is free and you don't pay big subscription like u would to sky
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

You can on a tablet or mobile device go to the YouView app and on many of the catch up channels watch programs but scrolling back the guide and if it has the play symbol you can watch that way.

Doesn't really have anything to do with this question though, does it?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

It has a lot to do with it. It shows how close you can get.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,319Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM

Thank you for that information Samuel. I didn’t know that you could do that. Very useful.

It has a lot to do with streaming a recording to a mobile device? Sorry Roy, can't see it at all.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM

No, no, no. Cloud. It won't be here now, next week or next month, but it is a goal their working toward. When? Who knows?
  • scottscott Posts: 2,007Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM

But all the YouView app does at the minute is throw you out to the channels OWN player (limited players, limited content and limited storage time). That to me is a million miles away from what the question is asking. Firstly we need full two way communication between app and box (even within home network would be a start) then you can start to talk about how you get to watch recordings on your own box from the app.

SKY Q does it from within the home network and rumours are they will have the SKY Q app available on phones (outside the home network) before the end of the month. SKY Q doesn't rely on its own router (working perfectly fine on my HomeHub 6).

We really need to see some ambition from YouView, what progress have they given us this year???

I know there is a new interface coming sometime next year and BT have added a few extra HD channels but we have also lost things like Quest player and there are no added players.

Lets see who wins anything in the What HiFi awards ;-)

edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I can watch my YouView recordings on a mobile device. I have a Slingbox:-

http://www.slingbox.com/en-GB

which provides this capability. £130 one-off (tops, many cheaper), though only go for the current models, the 350, and the M1, which adds wifi.

You need the Slingbox app on your mobile device, typically £10 one-off; it will connect to the SCART on your YouView box - they give you an adapter - though I have a couple of £10 gizmos, the first to split the HDMI out from the YouView box to the TV and to the second gizmo, which converts HDMI to component video so the Slingbox can serve true, albeit analogue, HD over the Internet.

I can get it on my iOS devices and my Android ones; and it passes remote control signals back to an IR blaster positioned above the YouView box from what, on the iPad at least, is an onscreen replica of a YouView remote with touchable buttons.

And besides watching on a mobile device, I can cast it to any TV here, to watch full screen.

We used it only yesterday, when the Amazon Firestick All4 app let us down by stopping after the first set of ads, something it is notorious for. Got to get our daily fix of Countdown, but at teatime, not at 14:10 for God's sake.
    Holding my breath....
    Roy1 said:

which provides this capability. £130 one-off (tops, many cheaper), though only go for the current models, the 350, and the M1, which adds wifi.

You need the Slingbox app on your mobile device, typically £10 one-off; it will connect to the SCART on your YouView box - they give you an adapter - though I have a couple of £10 gizmos, the first to split the HDMI out from the YouView box to the TV and to the second gizmo, which converts HDMI to component video so the Slingbox can serve true, albeit analogue, HD over the Internet.

I can get it on my iOS devices and my Android ones; and it passes remote control signals back to an IR blaster positioned above the YouView box from what, on the iPad at least, is an onscreen replica of a YouView remote with touchable buttons.

And besides watching on a mobile device, I can cast it to any TV here, to watch full screen.

We used it only yesterday, when the Amazon Firestick All4 app let us down by stopping after the first set of ads, something it is notorious for. Got to get our daily fix of Countdown, but at teatime, not at 14:10 for God's sake.

I can make phone calls using two cans and a piece of string.
    Roy1 said:

@Roy You couldn't have proved my point above any better. Next week I am expecting to download the SKY Q app to my phone (for free), connect and watch any programme live or recorded. Compare that to your setup above :-)

I know its horses for courses but most people won't need the continental solution you need ;-)

Roy1 said:

You can't stream recordings to mobile devices, you have to download them and then you only have 48 hours in which to watch them.
    Roy1 said:

@redchiz Can you link me to your source for how the new SKY Q app will work on a mobile device. Sounds like an interesting read. Many thanks.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-q-phone-app-to-launch-in-coming-weeks

Since the launch of the new Sky Q service it has been missing a phone app, with the existing Sky Q app available only for iPad and Android tablets.

Sky has now addressed that with the launch of the Q app, which should allow you to set remote recordings when you’re not at home and watch recorded shows, catch-up TV and live broadcasts on your phone.

Roy1 said:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles?intent=using-sky-q&product_type=sky-q&topic=sky-q-app
    Roy1 said:

Check the supported devices. This is only for the existing app not the soon to be released mobile app as stated above.

EDIT

seems you were right redchiz. I bow to your knowledge...

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-q-launches-mobile-app-making-it-easier-for...

Roy1 said:

And from within that link itself, it may be that not all pages have been updated:  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-app-supported-devices?intent=using-sky-q&product_type=sk...
    Roy1 said:

OK, so as long as you have a Multiscreen subscription (everybody notice that caveat?) you can watch your Sky channels, live and catchup, on your remote device, watch recordings while on your home wifi, and download recordings to take out and about.

Is that where we are with this?
    Holding my breath....
    Roy1 said:

OK, so as long as you have a Multiscreen subscription (everybody notice that caveat?) you can watch your Sky channels, live and catchup, on your remote device, watch recordings while on your home wifi, and download recordings to take out and about.

Is that where we are with this?
    Holding my breath....
    Roy1 said:

redchiz said:
    I can make phone calls using two cans and a piece of string.

Sounds like the deprived childhood version of my Buck Rogers Communicator.

I had a few taut moments with that, though of course if you didn't keep it taut, it didn't work at all.

The difficult bit was Auntie's being three miles away - that long string was heavy on the wrists.

But the real difficulty was Mondays, when you could hardly
    get through at all. With all that washing needing to dry, the line was busy all day :-(
    Holding my breath....
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Roy1 said:

@scott

The Sky Q mobile app is available now. You can stream recordings at home but not away from the home. For recordings to be streamed away from the home you'd require a copy to be made in the cloud also. Maybe one for a future update ;-)
    There is no denying that there are some great features here. Few true breakthroughs though and it all still falters at the compromise hurdle of certain restrictions/rights etc. ( you can have this, but you can't have that) which are the bane of every platform, albeit paradoxically also largely of their own making.

And as always when discussing Sky against the likes of YouView we need to remember that all this sexy stuff is secured behind a (very) large paywall.
    Roy1 said:

Yes I admit I got a bit carried away thinking I would be able to watch recordings streamed rather than previously downloaded..
    At least though I can see what recordings I have already and what are scheduled already ;-)
    I'm going to come back to a couple of points here. The first is, that despite redchiz' gentle rubbishing of my Slingbox, we do need to consider what sort of technology is needed to accomplish the remote playing of recordings, and perhaps to wonder why the Sky Q box doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Especially when it can do it over your internal wifi, as it seems to be able to.

So what else is needed? Well, in my setup, all the YouView box has to do is play, and it doesn't even know about what the Slingbox is doing.

But that is doing all the heavy lifting for communications, and retries, and adaptive rates, and so on. And all that is after the connection has been made, where I'm pretty sure there is some sort of Slingbox Central, that gets the connection request, contacts the relevant Slingbox, couples in the requesting device, and drops out of the loop, until the disconnect request.

Which Sky would have to provide, or YouView would if they were going to offer this. Which is not a major consideration conceptually, except that YouView boxes don't act as servers, except in a minor way for pairing mobile devices on the same mobile network. But they are never outward-facing servers to traffic from the Internet, for good security reasons.

YouView do have a server that takes the recording requests coming in from remote devices, but that is very much under their control, and security-hardened in a way that individual YouView boxes might never be.

And as with software updates, your YouView box polls the central server for such requests, and they are always pulled, never pushed.

And then YouView boxes, like Sky boxes no doubt, aren't set up for the vagaries of Internet communication when playing recordings. Even the live and catchup streaming these devices get from Sky are coming from Sky centrally, mediated by Sky's knowledge of what you are entitled to; they aren't coming from your Sky box.
    Holding my breath....
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    @redchiz I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was about to. YouView and Q quite simply aren't comparable as YV was never designed to be.
    Roy1 said:

I'm going to come back to a couple of points here. The first is, that despite redchiz' gentle rubbishing of my Slingbox, we do need to consider what sort of technology is needed to accomplish the remote playing of recordings, and perhaps to wonder why the Sky Q box doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Especially when it can do it over your internal wifi, as it seems to be able to.

So what else is needed? Well, in my setup, all the YouView box has to do is play, and it doesn't even know about what the Slingbox is doing.

But that is doing all the heavy lifting for communications, and retries, and adaptive rates, and so on. And all that is after the connection has been made, where I'm pretty sure there is some sort of Slingbox Central, that gets the connection request, contacts the relevant Slingbox, couples in the requesting device, and drops out of the loop, until the disconnect request.

Which Sky would have to provide, or YouView would if they were going to offer this. Which is not a major consideration conceptually, except that YouView boxes don't act as servers, except in a minor way for pairing mobile devices on the same mobile network. But they are never outward-facing servers to traffic from the Internet, for good security reasons.

YouView do have a server that takes the recording requests coming in from remote devices, but that is very much under their control, and security-hardened in a way that individual YouView boxes might never be.

And as with software updates, your YouView box polls the central server for such requests, and they are always pulled, never pushed.

And then YouView boxes, like Sky boxes no doubt, aren't set up for the vagaries of Internet communication when playing recordings. Even the live and catchup streaming these devices get from Sky are coming from Sky centrally, mediated by Sky's knowledge of what you are entitled to; they aren't coming from your Sky box.

Ah, I wasn't rubbishing anything, not even gently. But a Slingbox bears no comparison to the solution, demands and wants raised here, it is a quite complex answer to a question that most users don't even have. It works for you because of your circumstances and your technical competence. Longer term, I would rather buy shares in RIM/Blackberry. ;)

Otherwise, I couldn't agree more. :)
    Roy1 said:

The Slingbox is actually quite easy to use - surprisingly so, I would say.

And let's not forget that this thread started because the OP asked about exactly the requirement that the Slingbox fulfils. (Go back and look, if you like).

And still uniquely so, it seems.

I agree it depends on how badly he wants a solution to this issue, and what cost and other hurdles he is prepared to jump through to get it, and that I had a more pressing need for it than this one usage.

But it's doable, that's the thing.
    Holding my breath....
    Visionman said:

@redchiz I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was about to. YouView and Q quite simply aren't comparable as YV was never designed to be.

I'm going to disagree there. Everything is comparable in that the common denominator is money, and that everything you buy destroys the opportunity cost of buying something else - do I buy a pair of speakers, or a pair of curtains?

And YouView and Sky are even more closely comparable, as in practice you choose one or the other media delivery system.

They may not be apples and apples, and different people will have very different reasons for choosing one or the other perhaps - cost, content, technical capability? - but, stretching the metaphor perhaps, they are certainly both fruit.
    Holding my breath....