Youview application streaming to mobile device

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    My second point blew away in a puff of wind :-( and perhaps I will come back to it in more detail again tomorrow, but it was basically that, allowing for the different content YouView and Sky carry, I don't see a whole lot of difference between what the Sky Q app will do when you are out and about from what the YouView app will do, as augmented by the broadcasters' free Players.

And unlike Sky's walled garden, surrounded by bricks of gold (subscribers' gold), there are a whole bunch of apps to fill in any gaps, for free - FilmOn, say, or TVPlayer, to name but two.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,963Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Roy1 said:

I'm going to come back to a couple of points here. The first is, that despite redchiz' gentle rubbishing of my Slingbox, we do need to consider what sort of technology is needed to accomplish the remote playing of recordings, and perhaps to wonder why the Sky Q box doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Especially when it can do it over your internal wifi, as it seems to be able to.

So what else is needed? Well, in my setup, all the YouView box has to do is play, and it doesn't even know about what the Slingbox is doing.

But that is doing all the heavy lifting for communications, and retries, and adaptive rates, and so on. And all that is after the connection has been made, where I'm pretty sure there is some sort of Slingbox Central, that gets the connection request, contacts the relevant Slingbox, couples in the requesting device, and drops out of the loop, until the disconnect request.

Which Sky would have to provide, or YouView would if they were going to offer this. Which is not a major consideration conceptually, except that YouView boxes don't act as servers, except in a minor way for pairing mobile devices on the same mobile network. But they are never outward-facing servers to traffic from the Internet, for good security reasons.

YouView do have a server that takes the recording requests coming in from remote devices, but that is very much under their control, and security-hardened in a way that individual YouView boxes might never be.

And as with software updates, your YouView box polls the central server for such requests, and they are always pulled, never pushed.

And then YouView boxes, like Sky boxes no doubt, aren't set up for the vagaries of Internet communication when playing recordings. Even the live and catchup streaming these devices get from Sky are coming from Sky centrally, mediated by Sky's knowledge of what you are entitled to; they aren't coming from your Sky box.

For sure, but still esoteric, rather than mainstream. And I don't want to get back to Doris on Patronising Street, or wherever, but you know what I mean.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,963Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Roy1 said:

My second point blew away in a puff of wind :-( and perhaps I will come back to it in more detail again tomorrow, but it was basically that, allowing for the different content YouView and Sky carry, I don't see a whole lot of difference between what the Sky Q app will do when you are out and about from what the YouView app will do, as augmented by the broadcasters' free Players.

And unlike Sky's walled garden, surrounded by bricks of gold (subscribers' gold), there are a whole bunch of apps to fill in any gaps, for free - FilmOn, say, or TVPlayer, to name but two.

Aha, so there is more than one way to skin a cat  -  egory of viewing?  :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Visionman said:

@redchiz I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was about to. YouView and Q quite simply aren't comparable as YV was never designed to be.

Putting it like that, yes, I agree with what you say. But I still maintain the position that YouView was intended and designed to provide an alternative to full fat premium TV and not take on such providers head to head. Though its definitely an interesting topic.
    The amount of replies on this thread being one example. :)
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    Visionman said:

@redchiz I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was about to. YouView and Q quite simply aren't comparable as YV was never designed to be.

Yes, but BT TV blew that intention right out of the water, didn't it? :-)
    Holding my breath....
    Roy1 said:

I'm going to come back to a couple of points here. The first is, that despite redchiz' gentle rubbishing of my Slingbox, we do need to consider what sort of technology is needed to accomplish the remote playing of recordings, and perhaps to wonder why the Sky Q box doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Especially when it can do it over your internal wifi, as it seems to be able to.

So what else is needed? Well, in my setup, all the YouView box has to do is play, and it doesn't even know about what the Slingbox is doing.

But that is doing all the heavy lifting for communications, and retries, and adaptive rates, and so on. And all that is after the connection has been made, where I'm pretty sure there is some sort of Slingbox Central, that gets the connection request, contacts the relevant Slingbox, couples in the requesting device, and drops out of the loop, until the disconnect request.

Which Sky would have to provide, or YouView would if they were going to offer this. Which is not a major consideration conceptually, except that YouView boxes don't act as servers, except in a minor way for pairing mobile devices on the same mobile network. But they are never outward-facing servers to traffic from the Internet, for good security reasons.

YouView do have a server that takes the recording requests coming in from remote devices, but that is very much under their control, and security-hardened in a way that individual YouView boxes might never be.

And as with software updates, your YouView box polls the central server for such requests, and they are always pulled, never pushed.

And then YouView boxes, like Sky boxes no doubt, aren't set up for the vagaries of Internet communication when playing recordings. Even the live and catchup streaming these devices get from Sky are coming from Sky centrally, mediated by Sky's knowledge of what you are entitled to; they aren't coming from your Sky box.

I'm giving Charles credit for being more clued up than Alan Sugar's mum :-)
    Holding my breath....
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Visionman said:

At £15 a month for 4K UHD Sport plus included HD? No, not actually nowhere near.
    Visionman said:

Surely you are not accusing BT of skimming (the milk, so no longer full fat)? :-)
    Holding my breath....
  • scottscott Posts: 2,007Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    Visionman said:

Actually if you add in Sky Movies (no other option for latest movies), Music add on and Extra box to the BT package, BT's monthly cost is the same as I am paying for the full SKY Q package.

It's all a matter of perspective (and yes I know I am on a good discount at the minute to get to this) ;-)

• DarrenDarren Posts: 291Member ✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 8:39PM
    I'm almost happy with the Youview service as well as BT TV but I do welcome any improvements to the services to make them better.

Darren