Sky Store Player no longer available on YouView from 30th November 2016

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 4 September 2017, 1:18AM in Announcements
Hi all,

Unfortunately from 30th November, Sky Store will no longer offer their On Demand Player on YouView. You can stillfind a host of great films on our other popular Players.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,981Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM

when are we actually going to see some GOOD news Phil :-(

Even BT have said they are considering their options after 2019...

maybe a buy out could be the best thing that could happen (unless the buy out rumour has something to do with SKY pulling out).
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,001Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM
    !*#*^%* wow to say I'm angry is an understatement. I've bought content on Sky store exactly because I was able to watch it on my tv through Youview...Sky have obviously decided to go nuclear on Youview, first Quest now Skystore. Really angry right now...how dare sky encourage me to buy films from them, and then remove my access point...absolute cheek.

Day light Robery...Phil and Youview please make available a point of contact at sky store to complain...I'm furious
  • StephenStephen Posts: 667Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM
    Joe2 said:

!*#*^%* wow to say I'm angry is an understatement. I've bought content on Sky store exactly because I was able to watch it on my tv through Youview...Sky have obviously decided to go nuclear on Youview, first Quest now Skystore. Really angry right now...how dare sky encourage me to buy films from them, and then remove my access point...absolute cheek.

Day light Robery...Phil and Youview please make available a point of contact at sky store to complain...I'm furious

Contacts for them are on here:
    http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/Useful-Contacts-1370338021964/
    edited 1 November 2016, 7:47PM
    Joe2 said:

Thanks Stephen - it's one thing pulling an ondemand service, that is offered free of charge, but when people have their purchased digital libraries effectively shut down without any warning, then this is a very serious matter.
    I bought content from Skystore on Youview, specifically because it was avaialble through my chosen platform. This is an incredibly cynical move by sky that I will not forget.
    To my mind there is no difference between this behaviour and a common thief - they have sold me content under false pretences.

I may as well have given my money over to one of the those phone scammers - I'm absolutely furious.

I encourage everyone affected to write to the contact above
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Joe2 said:

you can always watch the DVD ;-)
    edited 1 November 2016, 1:12PM
    Joe2 said:

Ha ha yes the SD DVD that got thrown in the bin, because the whole point of the digital library was easy access, and no clutter around the house. I've learnt my lesson
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,020Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM
    This is good news, wont see this junk filling up my search :) If the only way to get the search to ignore the pay services is to remove them, well done. :) :) ;)

Seriously though. It is a shame the service seems to be getting less and less rather than "improving".
    stormy said:

This is good news, wont see this junk filling up my search :) If the only way to get the search to ignore the pay services is to remove them, well done. :) :) ;)

Seriously though. It is a shame the service seems to be getting less and less rather than "improving".

Yep, if you can't fix it, get rid of it...Seems like a plan. Although it might mean the whole YouView service could be un-useable within a few weeks if they apply that logic to the bugs list Keith runs ;-)
    edited 1 November 2016, 1:47PM
    So when can we expect the removal of Nowtv? Surely This is now inevitable considering Sky's aggressive actions on the Youview platform.
    edited 4 September 2017, 1:18AM
    Fuming anger aside for a second - Having had a chance to reflect on this incredibly cynical action by Sky Store, I can say with conviction that my trust in Sky Store, & by extension Sky has been irretrievably broken. This is a reckless selfish action without a thought for their users on the Youview platform.

It looks like Sky are living up to their reputation as the big bad corporate entity. A shame for them as they have just completely reversed my positive view of their open internet business model.

What a selfish disregard for their Youview customers. I can only begin to imagine the stupidity of the people running Sky Store & making these decisions. Its incredible. These kind of decisions are perhaps more acceptable when a subscription service is removed, but when you're removing access to content that people have bought and own , then that is theft.

Its a hard lesson to take, but we're obviously better off without this kind of company.  Lets have a replacement app that won't pull a fast one to spite its commercial competition...One with basic decent courtesy.
    Joe2 said:

Fuming anger aside for a second - Having had a chance to reflect on this incredibly cynical action by Sky Store, I can say with conviction that my trust in Sky Store, & by extension Sky has been irretrievably broken. This is a reckless selfish action without a thought for their users on the Youview platform.

It looks like Sky are living up to their reputation as the big bad corporate entity. A shame for them as they have just completely reversed my positive view of their open internet business model.

What a selfish disregard for their Youview customers. I can only begin to imagine the stupidity of the people running Sky Store & making these decisions. Its incredible. These kind of decisions are perhaps more acceptable when a subscription service is removed, but when you're removing access to content that people have bought and own , then that is theft.

Its a hard lesson to take, but we're obviously better off without this kind of company.  Lets have a replacement app that won't pull a fast one to spite its commercial competition...One with basic decent courtesy.

do you have any 'Prime' examples :-)
    edited 1 November 2016, 4:57PM
    Joe2 said:

There's been a lot of talktalk lately about "prime" developments"
  • David8David8 Posts: 648Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    Joe2 said:

So that's Quest gone now Sky Store wonder who's next ?

My question would be why are they leaving ?
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 147Member
    edited 1 November 2016, 8:55PM
    Joe2 said:

I bet that the UKTV Player, will be the next to leave!
    Joe2 said:

Why do you say that Gordon. In sky's case (both of which have gone are linked with sky) the less different platforms to choose from the better for them. As regards UKTV (scripps and BBC I believe) I would have thought the more platforms they are on the better. Only time will tell.
    UKTV have a large commitment with BTTV so I can't see them shying away from YouView whereas Sky have always done everything possible to keep what they can away from BTTV, I wonder if the rumour about BT looking to take ownership of YouView has made them move to take everything they can away.
    Joe2 said:

To be honest I'm not really concerned where blame should be apportioned but as a retail user it's disappointing to see On Demand players being removed it certainly doesn't do anything to strengthen Youview.
    edited 1 November 2016, 9:24PM
    Joe2 said:

Yes this appears to be a deliberate nasty move by sky to damage their BT competitor. Unfortunately retail users have got caught in the cross fire of sky's cynical move.
    It's becoming apparent that Sky have taken the nuclear option with regards to Youview. A scorched earth policy , now that they have brought out their nowtv box answer to Youview. I fully expect Nowtv to follow suite any moment.

When you think that Sky store are doing so well that they are about to over take iTunes as the biggest digital film retailer in the UK, it really puts this selfish self serving move into perspective. No regard for their loyal Youview customers what so ever - what a lovely company
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,422Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    SKY dislike YouView with a passion. They view it as a competitor and spent six years trying to crush it before it was ever born. They failed.
    Then when approved they announced they would be joining the platform immediately.
    SKY are hypocrites.
    @Youview

I think it would be fair on customers for a banner to be displayed on launching the skystore app to warn them of its departure at the end of the month.

It would be unnecessary for users to go through my experience without being informed of the reality of the situation first. There is still a month of potentially frustrated new customers to go.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    They were (and are) silly to think of YouView as a competitor, then, any more than Freeview is.

YouView packaged as BT TV, now that's a different matter; but do we think this is anything Sky could have anticipated?

And without YouView, BT would probably have done it anyway, based on their own box.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    edited 2 November 2016, 2:02PM
    Joe2 said:

@Youview

I think it would be fair on customers for a banner to be displayed on launching the skystore app to warn them of its departure at the end of the month.

It would be unnecessary for users to go through my experience without being informed of the reality of the situation first. There is still a month of potentially frustrated new customers to go.

Pleased to see that this has already been implemented. Nice that Youview have the courtesy to help customers, in contrast to SkyStore who have done nothing to inform their Youview customers of this decision.

Skystore are becoming the number 1 digital film retailer in the Uk.When peoples collections of digital DVDs and blurays are entrusted with them, they have a responsibility to ensure that these customers are treated with the upmost respect, and their digital collections of films and tv series remain available on their platforms of choice. Unfortunately this is not the case, Sky & Skystore have used these customers as a pawn in their commercial squabble game with Youview and BT.
    This is very different from Sky's other subscription services, where it would be acceptable, if inconvenient that sky withdrew them. After all customers don't own the content. But with Sky store it is also customer's owned content that they are happily playing ball with. It's a completely different proposition. I think many customers like myself will not take kindly to be bullied into buying into another platform just so they can access the content they already own.

Imagine if someone broke into your house and put a lock on your cupboard containing your DVD & bluray collection, and demanded that the only way you could now watch your collection would be if you paid this stranger money to have a new key for the lock.

This is basically what's happening to Youview customers of Sky store - it's simply extortion
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,855Member ✭✭✭
    Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,106Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 8:19PM
    redchiz said:

Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.

An excellent bit of lateral thinking. :-)
    redchiz said:

Good point redchiz I wonder what Sky was having to pay to be on Youview ? Who knows how much use the service got on Youview , maybe financially it just wasn't worth it. As you rightly say both BT and Talk Talk have their own PPV movie services.

Isn't it a case that the majority of Youview boxes are subscription from either BT or Talk Talk ?

I wonder whether Now TV will survive on Youview ?
    edited 2 November 2016, 5:09PM
    redchiz said:

Yes you can't rule out anything. It's turning into a proper Scoobydoo mystery, however I still feel when we unmask the culprit it will be Mr Sky. He probably would have got away with it if it wasn't for us pesky kids :)

While the Youview platform is still equally owned among the shareholders ( including the BBC) I'd find it really surprising if any unfair/ anti competitive price hike was placed on Skystore. I don't think the BBC would be allowed to support such a move.

It seems much more likely that Sky are:

1. Using their corporate muscle to get a good discount on Youview. A plan that may have backfired & they now have to follow through with the threat of pulling services.

2. A change of strategy, services deliberately pulled from Youview, to bolster the new Nowtv direct competitor box with freeview built in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2 November 2016, 6:28PM
    Joe2 said:

It may not be the fault if youview and the greed of sky, but when youview sold boxes they said lots of content providers but this has not been the case, youview is slowly falling apart and some smart TVs arw now getting as good if not better.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,422Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    redchiz said:

3. To protect their interests and promote the uptake of SKY Q by making YouView less attractive.
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Seriously, who is going to move from YouView (TV costs NIL upwards) to Sky Q (TV costs minimum of £20)?
  • adamcarvelladamcarvell Posts: 38Member
    edited 4 November 2016, 8:57AM
    redchiz said:

I've got the nowtv smart box basically to watch sky atlantic etc and i liked the fact it was ethernet connection plus the freeview side is handy if i need it bit the preview side is not as good a layout as the youview box I've bought both to drop my virgin tivo box which I've done saving a few quid too .
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

There are lot of NOW TV fans on here, myself included, but if we go down that road it will lead us ever further from the topic under discussion.  :-)