Sky Store Player no longer available on YouView from 30th November 2016

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman ✭✭✭ Posts: 9,509Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    redchiz said:

Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.

Indeed, Now TV provides an excellent easy access solution to cheap TV. But unlike Sky Store, hasn't been a run away success.
  • JoeJoe ✭✭✭ Posts: 2,009Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 November 2016, 8:27PM
    redchiz said:

Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.

Or... 4. Skystore is not a commercial success on the Youview platform.

I find this the most unlikely reason. Skystore is the premiere digital platform for films in the UK, forecast to over take iTunes with over 30% of the market. I can't see why Youview would Buck this trend, even with talktalk and BT customers being given alternatives film stores. That's major market penetration and growing brand awareness.
  • DarrenDarren ✭✭ Posts: 286Member ✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 9:39PM
    Youview needs to start thinking of adding one or two more apps as well as trying to keep the apps it already has. Never used Sky Store but it's a shame that the Youview service now seems to be starting to lose apps. I do now and again use the UK TV app on the Youview box as well as the Netflix app on the Youview box as well as on my Samsung full HD smart TV in my bedroom. I do hope the Youview service will start to improve over the coming months.. I also hope that BT will keep improving its TV service also.

Darren
  • scottscott ✭✭✭ Posts: 2,002Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    redchiz said:

Maybe they should look at 1080p and surround sound if it is such a premium product. Or maybe they couldnt squeeze the player into the new interface with all the new apps coming ;-)

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bts-delia-bus...
    redchiz said:

That's been posted before on here. Bushell also said the top Players on YouView are Netflix followed by the BBC iPlayer. Personal opinion only but I think SKY Store being in SD only had a lot to do with it's lower penetration.
  • JoeJoe ✭✭✭ Posts: 2,009Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 November 2016, 11:22PM
    redchiz said:

Slight correction - SkyStore is/was in HD 720p, but Nowtv is still only SD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2 November 2016, 11:24PM
    redchiz said:

Youview is up for sale, BT want to purchase it for exclusive use for BT customers.
    edited 4 September 2017, 1:18AM
    Unlikely as it is for sale and BT are trying to purchase it

No and no. Pure Press speculation.
  • RoyRoy ✭✭✭ Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    redchiz said:

Citation or citations please.

Ensure your sources are authoritative, and make sure it/they bear out all three of your substantive points there.

If you cannot do this, please withdraw your claims, in whole or in part.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    edited 3 November 2016, 10:17AM
    Joe2 said:

Fuming anger aside for a second - Having had a chance to reflect on this incredibly cynical action by Sky Store, I can say with conviction that my trust in Sky Store, & by extension Sky has been irretrievably broken. This is a reckless selfish action without a thought for their users on the Youview platform.

It looks like Sky are living up to their reputation as the big bad corporate entity. A shame for them as they have just completely reversed my positive view of their open internet business model.

What a selfish disregard for their Youview customers. I can only begin to imagine the stupidity of the people running Sky Store & making these decisions. Its incredible. These kind of decisions are perhaps more acceptable when a subscription service is removed, but when you're removing access to content that people have bought and own , then that is theft.

Its a hard lesson to take, but we're obviously better off without this kind of company.  Lets have a replacement app that won't pull a fast one to spite its commercial competition...One with basic decent courtesy.

https://youtu.be/_uvev7hY5MU
    Joe2 said:

@Youview

I think it would be fair on customers for a banner to be displayed on launching the skystore app to warn them of its departure at the end of the month.

It would be unnecessary for users to go through my experience without being informed of the reality of the situation first. There is still a month of potentially frustrated new customers to go.

Roy1 said:

They were (and are) silly to think of YouView as a competitor, then, any more than Freeview is.

YouView packaged as BT TV, now that's a different matter; but do we think this is anything Sky could have anticipated?

And without YouView, BT would probably have done it anyway, based on their own box.

redchiz said:

edited 4 September 2017, 1:18AM
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Posts: 67Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    what up for sale ? and i use sky store playyer lot so look like i have look somewere what going too have the sky store player app because  when you buy the film you get  dvd in the post not like bt store it stay on your youvie box 
  • David8David8 ✭✭ Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    Ken Hill1 said:

what up for sale ? and i use sky store playyer lot so look like i have look somewere what going too have the sky store player app because  when you buy the film you get  dvd in the post not like bt store it stay on your youvie box 

You could buy a cheap Now TV box to watch after its removed.
    redchiz said:

Nothing there I can see that is relevant to the topic?
    edited 3 November 2016, 3:02PM
    redchiz said:

ROY ROY ROY - OH ROY 
    Ken Hill1 said:

Ah, the penny drops, possibly. But Sky don't want you to buy the cheap,NowTV box, they want you to buy the one with Freeview on it.

Thwart them :-)
  • redchizredchiz ✭✭✭ Posts: 4,936Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Ken Hill1 said:

The best way to "thwart" them would be just to ignore them and their invidious practices. But where would one turn instead?  :-(
    Joe2 said:

Fuming anger aside for a second - Having had a chance to reflect on this incredibly cynical action by Sky Store, I can say with conviction that my trust in Sky Store, & by extension Sky has been irretrievably broken. This is a reckless selfish action without a thought for their users on the Youview platform.

It looks like Sky are living up to their reputation as the big bad corporate entity. A shame for them as they have just completely reversed my positive view of their open internet business model.

What a selfish disregard for their Youview customers. I can only begin to imagine the stupidity of the people running Sky Store & making these decisions. Its incredible. These kind of decisions are perhaps more acceptable when a subscription service is removed, but when you're removing access to content that people have bought and own , then that is theft.

Its a hard lesson to take, but we're obviously better off without this kind of company.  Lets have a replacement app that won't pull a fast one to spite its commercial competition...One with basic decent courtesy.

Can you give an example of such a Smart TV, Samuel?
    Joe2 said:

Can you give an example of such a Smart TV, Samuel?
    redchiz said:

The last time someone said that to me, it was more fun than this :-)
    redchiz said:

The last time someone said that to me, it was more fun than this :-)
    redchiz said:

Visionman said:-

ndeed, Now TV provides an excellent easy access solution to cheap TV. But unlike Sky Store, hasn't been a run away success.

Shouldn't that be:-

But unlike Sky Store, hasn't been a run away ?
    redchiz said:

Shouldn't that be:-

...yet?   ;-)
    redchiz said:

And remember, different people seem to measure success in different ways, think viewing figures for BT Sport for example.
    Ken Hill1 said:

You could always go and be an off-grid spoon whittler :-)