YouView reveals its Next Generation user experience

SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM in Announcements
Hi all,

YouView today announces a landmark moment in its history with the re-engineering and redesigning of its entire platform to respond quickly to the fast-changing needs and tastes of TV viewers, advertisers and partners:

To find out more, see our official press release.

Comments

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    Woo-Hoo!
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 129Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Will Sony TV YouView users benefit in any way? At all?
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I'm liking this:
    YouView’s Chief Technology Officer Nick Thexton adds: “YouView’s re-engineering of the entire platform and harnessing the capabilities of Cloud technology paves the way for cross-device innovation – allowing us to rapidly adopt enhanced mobile and app technology – as well as enabling multi-room viewing in the future.”
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,004Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 November 2016, 2:22PM
    Woo hoo! That's a big positive move if ever I saw one. Well done Youview, also good to see you talking up your achievements like BBC red button pioneering - Someone needs to blow that trumpet. This all bodes very well.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Posts: 98Member
    edited 23 November 2016, 2:30PM
    Glad to see that something was happening amongst the silence. Now if only I could get the recordings off the box...
  • Steve Smith3Steve Smith3 Posts: 6Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    The linked article starts with "Slicker and faster new interface begins rollout" - does that mean that the rollout to consumer boxes has started already, so we should all get it within the next few days/weeks?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,998Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM

Talk talk first in line from November 28th...

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/11/talktalk-youview-upgrade-announced.html

Mind you it does say it will takes months to roll out to all its customers :-(

BT have always stated it will come in January, not sure what is best, get in early or get in when it actually works :-)

New Logo and Website, you really are spoiling us :-)

(are we having a sweepstake on what the new logo will look like )  ;-)

• SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

The linked article starts with "Slicker and faster new interface begins rollout" - does that mean that the rollout to consumer boxes has started already, so we should all get it within the next few days/weeks?

Hi Steve, the rollout starts with TalkTalk next week and will be followed by BT and retail after. 
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM

It is nice to see TalkTalk at the head of the queue for a change, I hope they all enjoy the next gen experience :)
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    DJHB1980 said:

Hi DJHB, the Next Generation of YouView commences its roll out across ourconnected set top boxes. We will continue to work in close partnership withSony to bring their viewers the best possible experience.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 129Member
    edited 1 December 2016, 1:36PM
    DJHB1980 said:

Hi sanj not sure what that means.
    I think your answer is no.?
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    Wow, reads very well indeed. Maybe my T1010 will be given new life. :)
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    scott said:

BT have always stated it will come in January, not sure what is best, get in early or get in when it actually works :-)

Is that January date for new hardware or the software too? Seems retail will not be for an age if thats the case. Quite a bit gap between November 28th and January!
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    scott said:

No new hardware as far as I am aware at this point in time :-

"In 2017 we’re going to further shake up the market by releasing our new viewing experience across our TV guide and on demand, our new TV app and on our BT Sport channels, provided as a free upgrade for our customers.

BT TV’s next generation YouView TV service will be downloaded to its customers’' set top boxes during early 2017, making it even easier for customers to navigate straight to the programmes they want.

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/bt-reveals-next-generation-youview-and-free-tv-app-11364112169175

edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    scott said:

Quite a wait for me then.
  • Steve Smith3Steve Smith3 Posts: 6Member
    edited 23 November 2016, 3:26PM

I've got both a TalkTalk and BT box - the TalkTalk box is not in use, because I upgraded to the much faster BT box earlier in the year (eBay provides rich pickings for those who aren't a customer of TalkTalk or BT, but want a YouView box).  I assume that both boxes will still run just as normal for customers who are "out of contract" with BT and TalkTalk?
  • Nick PryorNick Pryor Posts: 2Member
    edited 26 November 2016, 11:23AM
    Any indication of when retail box customers will get the update?  As YouView's most committed customers and advocates, it'd be great to see some love back from YV!
  • StephenStephen Posts: 684Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM
    scott said:

are we having a sweepstake on what the new logo will look like

I wouldn't want to bet against you here, given that the updated logo already appears on this very thread!

• David BennettDavid Bennett Posts: 2Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 12:52PM
    Hi Sanj
    Where does the PlusNet community figure in this? Do they count as BT customers, or is their roll out a separate affair?
    scott said:

You mean its now just white as opposed to black and blue :-)

Pleased you told me otherwise I would never have known it had been 're-branded'..

• momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    Err,  "YouView will also be rebranding with a new logo, new website and support site"  does that mean the 'support site' is changing?  Getting off 'GetSatisfaction' (whose emails are always marked spam, due to that name alone).  Might it work better?
    scott said:

I think they would see it as changing to a different font rather than just a colour change :)
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Positive reception from early reviewers

http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-the-n...
    momist said:

Err,  "YouView will also be rebranding with a new logo, new website and support site"  does that mean the 'support site' is changing?  Getting off 'GetSatisfaction' (whose emails are always marked spam, due to that name alone).  Might it work better?

I expect they mean the support section within the main YouView website will be updated to document/support the new interface (and that they may have changed some functionality in how that section of the website works) rather than this being any comment about changing the forum community system at this stage :)
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    scott said:

But it's the same font isn't it?
    scott said:

Just looks like a different fill to me but hey my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

scott said:

Perhaps so although I think they see the old logo with an outline as a particular 'star trek' like font, whereas this is now a more mature solid look. Equally one could paraphrase that as after lots of thinking someone said 'let's just fill it in' ;-)
    edited 23 November 2016, 5:07PM
    Joe2 said:

Positive reception from early reviewers

http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-the-n...

More hints of new content partners in the coming months - but no names
    edited 23 November 2016, 5:42PM
    Celebratory robot dance anyone?
    edited 23 November 2016, 5:42PM
    Joe2 said:

Celebratory robot dance anyone?

*gets coat*