Welcome to the Next Generation of YouView

SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Announcements
Hi everyone, 

The Next Generation of YouView was formally announced yesterday and as part of this our rebrand is also rolling out across all of our platforms. You may well have noticed we have made a few changes to the forum this morning too.

If you want to find out more about Next Gen please take a look at our videos on our new support site https://support.youview.com/help-videos-user-guides

We hope you like the changes we’ve made and thank you for all your support. 

We look forward to you all being able to enjoy our new user experience at home very soon!

Thanks

Comments

• David BennettDavid Bennett Member Posts: 2
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM
    Hi Sanj
    Where does the PlusNet community figure in this? Do they count as BT customers, or is their roll out a separate affair?
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

Hi Sanj
    Where does the PlusNet community figure in this? Do they count as BT customers, or is their roll out a separate affair?

Hey David,

Plusnet customers are also a part of the Next Generation of YouView. TalkTalk customers will start rolling out from next week and Plusnet, BT & retail customers will follow after. As soon as we can confirm the dates we'll let you know :)
  • Roger BeesonRoger Beeson Member Posts: 8
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Ironic that the video about accessibility isn't subtitled to make it accessible to deaf viewers.

And will all catch-up TV channels have subtitles? It's frustrating that some channels have subtitles on some platforms but not YouView, e.g All4, ITV Hub

Ironic that the video about accessibility isn't subtitled to make it accessible to deaf viewers.

And will all catch-up TV channels have subtitles? It's frustrating that some channels have subtitles on some platforms but not YouView, e.g All4, ITV Hub

Hi Roger,

Sorry about that. There was an issue with the subtitle file we uploaded this morning. We're fixing it now. 

Subtitle availability in On Demand players is provided by the content provider. If you have further questions please contact them directly as they would be best placed to answer. 

We support accessibility features & functions and hope more subtitled programmes are available in the future. Thanks for feeding back.
  • Sandra HeritageSandra Heritage Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 November 2016, 12:48PM

Is this why we cannot get a connection this morning? We have gone through all the usual performance of turning off and restarting to no avail. As far as I can see there is no change to the horrific service we are used to !!!!

Hi Sandra, 

We haven't sent out any updates yet. This was just our announcement of the future changes and current changes to our websites.

Did you get any error messages at all this morning? Something like YVM102?

Hi Roger. Subtitles are now fixed :)
  • David_SDavid_S Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 April 2017, 8:01PM
    Hi

Please could you tell me, Will the discover function still be available on the next gen platform? I ask this because I make extensive use of this functionality, as it lets me browse content via categories from all catchup providers rather than going into each player individually.

I've just upgraded to a new box after using my previous one since Youview launch, and have stuck with this platform because of this unique functionality, I'm getting slightly worried because I haven't seen this functionality on any of the next generation promo videos.

Thanks

Dave
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    David_S said:

Hi

Please could you tell me, Will the discover function still be available on the next gen platform? I ask this because I make extensive use of this functionality, as it lets me browse content via categories from all catchup providers rather than going into each player individually.

I've just upgraded to a new box after using my previous one since Youview launch, and have stuck with this platform because of this unique functionality, I'm getting slightly worried because I haven't seen this functionality on any of the next generation promo videos.

Thanks

Dave

Hi David - according to a post on another topic discover is not expected to be present at launch in the next gen interface :(
  • john6john6 Member Posts: 5
    edited 1 December 2016, 10:07AM

Hi Sanj

Hi Sanj

We have recently received our amazing new  4K Ultra Box, currently experiencing some problems, could you help please.

1. Box turns itself off, overnight, on a regular basis

2. The HDMI output regularly reverts back to 720p.

3. While watching TV, at the top of the screen, the opening announcement appears,

detailing HDMI no. plus output (720p etc.)

All very annoying on a new Sony TV.

Thanks Sanj. JohnD

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM

Hi Sanj

2 and 3 sound like a faulty or badly-connected HDMI cable or socket. Anyway, could you post these problems in a new thread so somebody can more easily help you, as none of these problems have anything to do with (and 4K boxes don't yet have) the Next Generation YouView experience?
  • David Robinson2David Robinson2 Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    still waiting for update
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2017, 8:52PM

still waiting for update

Of what, for what, on what platform?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • DaveG1DaveG1 Member Posts: 40
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I have a BT box, but am no longer a BT subscriber, any idea when non-BT and non-TalkTalk customers will receive their update?
    edited 25 January 2017, 6:57PM
    DaveG1 said:

I have a BT box, but am no longer a BT subscriber, any idea when non-BT and non-TalkTalk customers will receive their update?

Hi Dave - software updates are a function of where the box came from and not what ISP you are currently connected to or whether you have a subscription or not. As such since your box originally came through BT it will receive the software update at the same time as other BT supplier boxes. At the moment they are saying this will be in the Spring, which perhaps means April but could mean as late as June.
    edited 25 January 2017, 6:58PM
    DaveG1 said:

As an added observation, I would generally say be careful what you wish for as at the moment the feedback from some people who have received the next gen software is decidedly lukewarm to cold. Overall my recommendation would be, if one had an absolute choice (which one does not), to wait until the next gen software further matures and at the moment to stick with the current gen system (unless you don't mind the next gen short comings, like the few benefits, and like being nearer the cutting edge). At the moment it is difficult to point to major benefits and easy to point to some short comings, see for example my comments from first impressions :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 2:23PM
    I wish to make an observation which was first made at TalkTalk launch. 

I was all for its launch, despite its shortcomings, because it was and is totally stable.
    Roy was not, and stated that despite its stability it just wasn't ready.
    Keith initially sat on the fence, taking in and weighing both points of view.

Yet now? All three of us have gravitated towards the opinion 'Its just not ready enough', as there are just far too many features missing and folder stack recordings access and playback is a nightmare, and is its biggest shortcoming.

TalkTalk chose to launch with it. Thankfully BT, Plusnet and retail haven't. And it will be quite some time until they do. Which as stated will thankfully be at least spring (probably May). 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Clifford SlocombeClifford Slocombe Member Posts: 4
    edited 25 April 2017, 4:25PM
    An option to switch back to a text list of recorded programmes would be appreciated.  The "thumbnail" view is horrible, slow and confusing.  So far I dislike this update intensely.  It is all form-over-function with little consideration for usability.
  • jim1jim1 Member Posts: 60
    edited 25 April 2017, 4:25PM
    Visionman said:

I wish to make an observation which was first made at TalkTalk launch. 

I was all for its launch, despite its shortcomings, because it was and is totally stable.
    Roy was not, and stated that despite its stability it just wasn't ready.
    Keith initially sat on the fence, taking in and weighing both points of view.

Yet now? All three of us have gravitated towards the opinion 'Its just not ready enough', as there are just far too many features missing and folder stack recordings access and playback is a nightmare, and is its biggest shortcoming.

TalkTalk chose to launch with it. Thankfully BT, Plusnet and retail haven't. And it will be quite some time until they do. Which as stated will thankfully be at least spring (probably May). 

A friend (who had not seen all of these negative comments asked me tonight whether I'd seen the new BT youview update which his box got a couple of days ago. I haven't. 'you're lucky' he said, 'it's awful. All pictures and shortened titles, and you can't tell what you are seeing and can't find what you're looking for. The list view has gone, and I can't find any way to get it or to go back to the usable interface.'
    Our other friend who has sky Q likes the pictures of programmes, but apparently they have the full programme title not a truncated version.

Youview next gen is not fit for purpose. They will lose customers to freeview play, or freesat. Maybe then they'll do something.
  • frank teaguefrank teague Member Posts: 5
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:46PM
    I too would like to know if there will be an option to change to recorded/ scheduled programme list , I can live with the rest of the update ( and its faster) but the thumbnail is difficult to use and not user friendly .Surely I'm not the only 50 + year old struggly with this?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,704 admin
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:39PM

I too would like to know if there will be an option to change to recorded/ scheduled programme list , I can live with the rest of the update ( and its faster) but the thumbnail is difficult to use and not user friendly .Surely I'm not the only 50 + year old struggly with this?

posted on an old thread

Please reference the new conversation here: Option to change to recorded/scheduled programme list
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Sarah, if I may ask, why have you bumped this thread?
    edited 24 April 2017, 7:11PM
    Visionman said:

What you are probably seeing here is the result of Sarah forking a reply, then deleting it from here which leaves no trace it was here and that it was that action that bumped this thread. In the past forked replies tended to be left in place so there was still evidence of its original location, and of course once upon a time the GetSat system had a changelog and left a footprint for deleted posts.

The forked post is at https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/option-to-change-to-recorded-scheduled-programme-list
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:08PM
    Visionman said:

This forum software is poor to say the least. But it perhaps should have been placed here -
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/tiles-lists-or-both
    Rather than create yet another new thread about the same topic. Hmm, difficult to track, I know.
    edited 24 April 2017, 7:03PM
    Visionman said:

Oh Keith - I forgot to say thanks for that. :)
    edited 24 April 2017, 7:16PM
    Visionman said:

Ah but there is no arbitrary move tool, just fork and merge. I'm not sure a merge has ever been done on this forum (I expect there is an example somewhere that is the exception that proves the rule) but presumably one could fork a post out of one topic (creating a new one just with that opening post) and then merge it back into another. One then has to choose if one leaves a trail or deletes the original and fork and thus risks the appearance of magic afoot :)

If one forks or merges one also potentially flushes any comments hanging off that post down a black hole. They have not technically been deleted (so no one is notified) but they are now no longer connected to the flow of posts and hence not visible so some good info can also be lost.

Overall forks and merges can thus just lead to just as much, if not more, confusion than leaving things where they fall (unless they really are so different and substantial as to merit starting an entirely fresh topic) in the absence of more refined curation tools and an always present rapid action task force to put things in the 'right' place almost as soon as they surface/land :)
    edited 24 April 2017, 7:53PM
    Visionman said:

I had seven change logs in my email inbox this morning. Naughty Visionman !
    I've never previously had seven in a month, never mind a day.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 8:00PM
    Visionman said:

A new broom sweeps clean.....
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 24 April 2017, 8:58PM
    Visionman said:

Hey, lol, get this - they were all my 'please stay on topic' posts.
    Reason for deletion - not on topic.
    HaHaHa! I swear I was nearly crying. :)
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,704 admin
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:07AM
    Visionman said:

Keith is correct in that I forked the reply and then removed the post on this thread. I had hoped that it'd un-bump the thread (still quite new to GetSat!) but it didn't unfortunately so apologies for any confusion! I notified the member who's post I moved :)