YouView next gen: first impressions

167891012»

Comments

• Joe91Joe91 Posts: 12Member
    edited 12 June 2017, 5:58AM
    Visionman said:

Having had this new NGen platform for some number of weeks, may I just take a pause to congratulate the entire YouView team on todays launch of the longest and most significant project in its history. With a well done to boot.

You guys surely can't be commenting on the update I've had to my TalkTalk box about 2 weeks ago? It's rubbish, not a patch on the one I had. Typical of the way things go with some companies these days, form over function. They think the addition of loads of pretty pictures makes it better, but they've removed half of the useful functionality. It's slower, crashes a lot, and complains if the internet isn't connected, just because it can't display pictures I'm not interested in anyway. Whoever ran this project should be sacked.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Posts: 69Member
    edited 12 June 2017, 6:03AM
    Visionman said:

Having had this new NGen platform for some number of weeks, may I just take a pause to congratulate the entire YouView team on todays launch of the longest and most significant project in its history. With a well done to boot.

Mine complains as well because it's not connected to the internet, but thats only first thing and I just ignore it. But strangle enough it never crashed, doesn't run slow and records everything I want it to, Now I wonder why that is?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 315Member
    edited 12 June 2017, 7:12AM
    Visionman said:

My DTR-T2100 is usually not connected but my experience does not match yours Martin.  Like you the shortcuts bar gets replaced with an internet not connected message, but when ever the menu pages are displayed with a (blank) tile or programme information  there is an additional 2 second delay compared to when it is connected to the internet.

Also it does do a couple of things that I'd like it to do which it would be possible to design into it without being totally dependent on the internet.
    As with old gen it cannot search the 7 day forward epg, plus when the internet warning message is displayed on the home page the shortcuts have not only been removed for the Players and Apps but also for the Guide and MyTV.

The on screen details no longer include the mac address unless yo have an internet connection, but it is shown if you do.  The mac address is printed on the underside of the unit but it shouldn't be necessary to already be connected to the internet to see it on the menus.
    edited 12 June 2017, 9:45PM
    Visionman said:

I did an experiment with my box, I connected it to a router, not connected to the internet, that then made the box think it was connected to the internet, but could not connect to the YV web site, this slowed the box down, even just trying to go to MY recordings page, as soon as I unplugged the router, normal speed was resumed.

I'm still waiting for the list option to be bought back along with all the other missing functions, but it seams that every time a new version is released, more complaints come in about boxes freezing up or functions or recordings not working, so im even more inclined not to reconnect to the internet.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:11PM
    Visionman said:

Martin - It would be interesting to know how the speed of your box connected to a router not connected to the internet compared to one that is (connected to the internet).
    edited 13 June 2017, 6:32AM
    Visionman said:

It would be interesting to find out that, The main slow down was when pressing the blue button and the options come up in that stupid black bar that blanks 1/3 of the screen, you press the right button to move from Guide, to Players & Apps, to MyTV, the blue bar that comes up under the option took about 3 seconds to appear under MyTV and that was even before I'd selected OK to go into that option.

With the internet/router disconnected it goes there straight away, proving that for some reason the box is trying to contact the YV server for a simple operation of moving a blue bar from 1 option to another, 

So that could explain why people are complaining about there box going slow, they are doing a simply operation and during periods of high traffic there box can't connect to the |YV server fast enough.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 315Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 7:33AM
    Visionman said:

That does not match my experience.

On my DTR-T2100 the extra 2 second slow down occurs on any of
    a)  When the ethernet cable is unplugged (at the DTR-T2100 end);
    b) Connected to router via ethernet cable and router is off;
    c) Connected to router via etherent cable and router is not playing ball connecting to the internet for the DTR-T2100.

The 2 second slow down on the DTR-T2100 occurs when ever an internet lookup would occur e.g. for displaying tile or programme info.

I wonder if there i a difference between the DTR-T2100 and the DTR-T2000  which impacts the slow down without an internet connection.
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    edited 4 August 2017, 8:29AM

Roy  - did you write a response to my posting above?

"The new setting menu is far less user friendly than previous version and certain functions have been dropped -  e.g. the TV signal Quality page - now if you want to check different channels you have to go in and out again of the menu - I'm sure you did have to in the previous version. I also thought that there more for setting of picture  etc"

I thought I' seen one but I can't find it.

I accept that I may be getting confused about different functions that were on my previous Freeview box, but  I'm still waiting for the that moment of clarity, when my brain finds that particular memory. It could be a long wait. 

Cheers

• alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2017, 10:24AM
    dave3 said:

"The new setting menu is far less user friendly than previous version and certain functions have been dropped -  e.g. the TV signal Quality page - now if you want to check different channels you have to go in and out again of the menu - I'm sure you did have to in the previous version. I also thought that there more for setting of picture  etc"

I thought I' seen one but I can't find it.

I accept that I may be getting confused about different functions that were on my previous Freeview box, but  I'm still waiting for the that moment of clarity, when my brain finds that particular memory. It could be a long wait. 

Cheers

It was the first response to your post.
    As for an arbitrary standard, it used to give the strength measurement in dBμV which is very well used. Unfortunately it was shown with a percentage symbol which made it confusing but at least it could tell you if the signal was too strong.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 November 2017, 8:25PM

I thought I'd seen one but I can't find it.

Cheers

I didn’t know that. Thanks.

The new ones never seem to move off 100/100, which ought to be wrong, oughtn't it?
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
    edited 13 June 2017, 5:16PM
    Visionman said:

I've got a DTR-T2000 so that could explain the difference, i'm also  still on software version 27.45.0.
    edited 13 June 2017, 7:42PM
    Visionman said:

That's not right. According to :-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

you should be on 28.23.0 or 28.26.0

Have you disconnected from the internet completely, and so stranded yourself on 27.45.0?

I had my T2000 off the Internet last night, following a decidedly unsatisfactory afternoon with BT support, as my BT Smart Hub kept rebooting all the time.

I didn't notice the box slowing down at all, but I did notice the images on the tiles vanishing, from the oldest recordings first, and for series entries, even when the top series image was still in place on the Recordings screen.
    edited 13 June 2017, 8:12PM
    Visionman said:

Yes thats right Roy, I have kept my box disconnected form the internet since then. I'm still waiting to heard good reports of a decent update, before I think about reconnecting to get it, but as there are a lot of reports coming thro of slow, freezing or broken boxes, I can't see that happening soon.

Another reason for keeping the box of the internet is to keep all the tiles blank as it makes it a lot easier to read whats on them.

I've never believed in having anything as soon as its come out ie queuing up at midnight to get it as soon as its released. I'd rather wait for 6 months for people to put up with and report all the bugs and failures first, then once its a stable product and the price has dropped, then go and buy it
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2017, 9:08PM
    Visionman said:

Thats a very sensibleness attitude, in my opinion. People who do dive in straight away are called first time adopters. I have been a first time adopter twice, and twice I got burned (didn't learn from the first one).
    But not in the case of NextGen. I had it way public release but have had none of the technical issues reported on here. Which isn't unusual, as one has to give consideration this is a problem and help forum, and people with problems come here for help. So the view of any product [insert name here] by reading its forum can be, and usually is, skewed.
    But now I'm going to contradict myself, as there is one major product out there at the moment thats having major technical issues, bugs and glitches and its Sky Q. There have been no major issues with Virgins new V6.
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:20PM
    Daniel4 said:

So much for next gen is more like 40 steps back. I want the hide channel list for hiding the free view junk. If I had a choice I won't install this junk upgrade. The old version is obviously better as it has more features. Youview it seams like your attempting to turn the box into prehistoric junk or just making the box worse as a punishment for all the users who complained about clipped recordings. I want padding on recordings and a channel list editor it should not be that difficult to give the customer what they want should it. Absolutely furious.

Have they paid you off? I HATE IT! I've not had it 4 months, but can't say that would make much difference, unless I have dementia.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:26PM
    Daniel4 said:

So much for next gen is more like 40 steps back. I want the hide channel list for hiding the free view junk. If I had a choice I won't install this junk upgrade. The old version is obviously better as it has more features. Youview it seams like your attempting to turn the box into prehistoric junk or just making the box worse as a punishment for all the users who complained about clipped recordings. I want padding on recordings and a channel list editor it should not be that difficult to give the customer what they want should it. Absolutely furious.

I can't work because I have ms and I have certainly not been paid off. Your entitled to your opinion but mine massively changed.
    edited 14 June 2017, 6:04AM
    Joe2 said:

Nice write up Keith. You've covered a lot of points there.

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.The images a waste of time for me. They add absolutely nothing, a complete waste of pixels. They obviously slow down the system. I think Youview should work on a text only option. The box is for watching TV, not browsing randomly selected stills of TV programmes. If I want to look at pictures, I'll use Google images / Instagram / Picasa.
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:45PM

Apologies, I've not read through all the replies on this so it may have already been answered but does the new software allow you to record the whole programme if the beginning has been missed?

For example, I've been tuned into BBC1 and the buffer has been filling and I've missed the first 20 minutes of a film on the channel. As my box has been on BBC1 already I could rewind to the beginning of the film, but if I were to press record it currently only saves what's been shown from that moment onwards.

Sky boxes would save the previous minutes that have been recorded but not viewed but as far as I can see YouView never implemented this and it is frustrating!

Good point. I had this feature on an old freeview recorder (can't recall the make), must be at least 8 years ago. It was brilliant. Far better if the Dev team worked on useful features like that rather than trying to fix what ain't broke!
    edited 14 June 2017, 8:26AM

Thank you for this post; I really enjoyed reading it, and am pleased to see that I am not the only person to be disappointed in some of the changes.  I received the new version this week.  To me, this update is basically all about appearance, with little thought towards actual functionality.  As aesthetics are not that important to me, I would rather it have been the reverse.  As someone who mainly only uses the box for recordings, with occasional resort to iPlayer/other on demand services (mainly when I miss something due to the box being full), these are the the things I miss or don't like already:
    * Can no longer put recordings in alphabetical order - this was useful for me to check for duplicates, and also to watch a series when the series link didn't work
    * No longer able to skip straight to a certain point in the recording or right to the end - I used to be able to press the skip button, followed by the rewind button before pressing play so that I could check end credits immediately without having to fast forward or skipx30 to them
    * No longer getting automatically told when another version of the same programme is on when broadcasts clash
    * "you may no longer be able to watch this channel" messsage comes up even when watching a recording and not a channel at all!
    * When all other items are deleted and there is only one item left in a folder it stays in the folder instead of reverting to main list
    * In the subfolders you have to go through every single programme to get to the last one - there are no pages anymore, just one long list across the top which you cannot even navigate backwards through when at the start
    * In the Guide, when you navigate up or down it moves everything up when you are on the displayed channels rather than moving down past them, meaning if you are viewing the prime channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4, C5,  BBC Four, to see what it on tonight, every time you click info on one near the top or bottom they all move so you get a different 6 displayed
    * If you watch a programme from a subfolder, when you press stop, it goes back to the main recordings list
    If you watch a programme from the new recordings preview pane, when you press stop it goes back to the TV.  Both of these make deleting a long process.

Anyone else confused by this? 

Derek has replied to that post with his views? (With which I wholeheartedly agree - Thanks Derek)

Visionman

• 94,590 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Derek. See these points by Keith, from post number 1 -
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-next-gen-first-impressions
    edited 14 June 2017, 7:48AM

Thank you for this post; I really enjoyed reading it, and am pleased to see that I am not the only person to be disappointed in some of the changes.  I received the new version this week.  To me, this update is basically all about appearance, with little thought towards actual functionality.  As aesthetics are not that important to me, I would rather it have been the reverse.  As someone who mainly only uses the box for recordings, with occasional resort to iPlayer/other on demand services (mainly when I miss something due to the box being full), these are the the things I miss or don't like already:
    * Can no longer put recordings in alphabetical order - this was useful for me to check for duplicates, and also to watch a series when the series link didn't work
    * No longer able to skip straight to a certain point in the recording or right to the end - I used to be able to press the skip button, followed by the rewind button before pressing play so that I could check end credits immediately without having to fast forward or skipx30 to them
    * No longer getting automatically told when another version of the same programme is on when broadcasts clash
    * "you may no longer be able to watch this channel" messsage comes up even when watching a recording and not a channel at all!
    * When all other items are deleted and there is only one item left in a folder it stays in the folder instead of reverting to main list
    * In the subfolders you have to go through every single programme to get to the last one - there are no pages anymore, just one long list across the top which you cannot even navigate backwards through when at the start
    * In the Guide, when you navigate up or down it moves everything up when you are on the displayed channels rather than moving down past them, meaning if you are viewing the prime channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4, C5,  BBC Four, to see what it on tonight, every time you click info on one near the top or bottom they all move so you get a different 6 displayed
    * If you watch a programme from a subfolder, when you press stop, it goes back to the main recordings list
    If you watch a programme from the new recordings preview pane, when you press stop it goes back to the TV.  Both of these make deleting a long process.

Anyone else confused by this? 

Derek has replied to that post with his views? (With which I wholeheartedly agree - Thanks Derek)

Visionman

• 94,590 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Derek. See these points by Keith, from post number 1 -
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-next-gen-first-impressions
    edited 14 June 2017, 7:01AM

I think Visionman may be pointing out that the forum is filling up with simply endless rehashes of all or part of Keith's initial Day Zero posting, which accurately said just about everything that could be said about the shortcomings, as well as the strengths, of NextGen.

So all anybody else needed to do was to say 'Yes, and me too', and maybe raise anything they thought Keith had missed. Which Keith, having superpowers, would rapidly incorporate in the original posting anyway.

But with the forum software not yet supporting stickies, only frequent bumps could stop this posting slipping down, and perhaps off, the first page, so people could perhaps be forgiven for not finding it, and so posting much the same thing elsewhere.

But Visionman is pointing out, I think, that it is particularly egregious to say it in the thread that first laid it all out :-)

There is, I think, an erroneous view among new users here that the old guard defend YouView to the hilt, and are not critical of it at all. A view that would be rapidly dispelled if only Keith's opening post here were required reading for such new arrivals.

And might save them a lot of keyboard bashing painstakingly re-enumerating the things that Keith has already covered, leaving them free to concentrate on commenting, perhaps, on YouView's parentage :-)
    edited 14 June 2017, 8:20AM
    Daniel4 said:

Sorry Daniel, that was meant as a joke. I wasn't referring to your employment status, of which I had no knowledge. I guess the dementia bit could be seen as poor taste as well. Where's the edit button?!
    edited 14 June 2017, 3:05PM
    Daniel4 said:

Gone, once the thread has been continued, or your posting Liked (unlikely in this case, I would have thought, but the 'further posting' rule applies anyway).

Basically, it is best on here not to say anything you might later want to take back, as you likely won't be able to :-(