YouView next gen: first impressions

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    What happened to the formatting of Keiths original post?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Joe2 said:

Oh dear - the Get Sat system seems to have buggered it up royally, I'm investigating a fix now.
    edited 29 November 2016, 5:28PM
    Joe2 said:

I was just thinking what an eloquent post by Keith summing many of our experiences with Next-Gen...then that happened :)
    Joe2 said:

It looks like it may actually be a wider GetSat forum system issue as I am seeing the same problem when posting about this on their main community for support with their platform. Also having posted that it shows in their list of topics but the link to view the topic does not work. So all in all Get Sat may be having some problems :(
    Joe2 said:

Get Sat seem to have fixed the issue affecting the opening post above (although I am still seeing issues on their site with topics there).
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,180Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:57PM
    Could one of you folks who has actually used the new version please tell us about the new MiniGuide, which I think YouView have described as "smart".
    jimb said:

Could one of you folks who has actually used the new version please tell us about the new MiniGuide, which I think YouView have described as "smart".

Hi Jim - I've not noticed anything particularly smart about it yet but perhaps it is planned to make it smarter over time.

At the moment if I press menu/youview button then up pops the new main menu across the bottom of the screen, it is initially on guide and below the ribbon of menu sections one sees a row of tiles for the current programmes on various channels. For all boxes I think the channel order there begins 1, 3, 4, 5. After that it perhaps becomes smart/dynamic, so for a retail box the next tile is for channel 2 whereas for an ISP subscriber I would speculate from the pictures online that tile relates to a premium channel. One can scroll along those 5 visible tiles and more then come in from the right such that overall it shows me 10 tiles/channels of current programmes. Whether these tiles are adapting based on what I view/record is unclear as I am not generally using this feature. From memory though these tiles look like a static set of channels for me.
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:19PM
    jimb said:

What happens if you just hit the OK button - that brings up the miniguide in the old version?
    jimb said:

Ah, now that is different again. If one hits ok then up pops progress bar for the current programme. It has a right arrow enticing you to press right and if you do that then you do get into a mini guide. That is then showing tiles going rightwards for the current programme and the subsequent N programmes covering the next 12 hours. One can also press up/down to move to the previous/next channel listing where one then has access to the N+1 tiles for the current and upcoming programmes on that channel.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2017, 9:08PM
    Having had this new NGen platform for some number of weeks, may I just take a pause to congratulate the entire YouView team on todays launch of the longest and most significant project in its history. With a well done to boot.
    jimb said:

So not as useful as the old miniguide :-(
    Good ammunition for the anti-image faction.
    And not "smart" as far as I can see.
    Visionman said:

Having had this new NGen platform for some number of weeks, may I just take a pause to congratulate the entire YouView team on todays launch of the longest and most significant project in its history. With a well done to boot.

Gosh it's not like you to be so complimentary of YouView -;
    jimb said:

Why on earth do you get the progress bar first when the well established method for getting that is to press the play button or one of the other "transport" buttons?
    edited 29 November 2016, 9:08PM
    jimb said:

It's not a feature I use a lot, but it seems logical that the mini guide is an extension. from the progress bar.
    Pressing left or right to go backwards and forewords in time in the mini guide from the progress bar has a logic to it. Scrolling up or down takes you into the other channels.
    The picture tiles make the mini guide easier to read quickly. I prefer the new format to the old mini guide , which I used even less :)
  • Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Posts: 43Member
    edited 29 November 2016, 9:18PM
    Joe2 said:

Nice write up Keith. You've covered a lot of points there.

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.Personally I don't like the image display in MyTV, I would rather have a list view. I would favour an approach similar to that used in Windows File Explorer where you can select a particular view eg icon, list, detail and then retain that view as the default until you select another. As others have also mentioned, I really hope that a Next Page/Previous Page buttons are added very soon.

I actually think the image view option is a bit of a mongrel - it takes a modern approach of showing images but still retains an, arguably,traditional sort by date philosophy. I quite like the idea of a Category view which grouped recordings by category eg files, TV series, news, sport etc. Here the use of images seems to make more sense somehow.

As a minor point, I don't much like the icon used to indicate locked recordings. It is just too small for me to see clearly and easily distinguish from unlocked recordings.
    edited 29 November 2016, 9:18PM
    Visionman said:

Yes congratulations to the Youview team. I think they've built a quick, intuitive , simple but sleek interface, which will be a strong foundation for future additions. A brave redesign , which recaptures the innovative spirit with which Youview was orginally conceived.
    edited 29 November 2016, 9:35PM
    Joe2 said:

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information."Page down" function would help with quickly going through the pages of recordings.
    I think arguably Mytv is the biggest change, and will challenge people's preconceptions the most. The new visual format took me a while to warm to. But after my initial concerns I've grown to like it
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    As some will have noticed I been working my way through this topic and the consolidated lists making updates, additions and separate standalone topics as appropriate. The top post above now thus contains additional links and the following have been updated: There is no doubt more to do but that is probably enough housekeeping for day 1 :)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:58PM
    Keith1 said:

As some will have noticed I been working my way through this topic and the consolidated lists making updates, additions and separate standalone topics as appropriate. The top post above now thus contains additional links and the following have been updated:

There is no doubt more to do but that is probably enough housekeeping for day 1 :)
    Or day 2 even.
    Keith1 said:

As some will have noticed I been working my way through this topic and the consolidated lists making updates, additions and separate standalone topics as appropriate. The top post above now thus contains additional links and the following have been updated:

There is no doubt more to do but that is probably enough housekeeping for day 1 :)
    I suppose that depends on how you are counting, although the announcements said it was to launch yesterday people did not really start to receive and use it until today :)
  • Al GordinioAl Gordinio Posts: 2Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I have tried to update this from the menu but I can't get the update says upto date and gives me the old screen how did you update
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

I have tried to update this from the menu but I can't get the update says upto date and gives me the old screen how did you update

Like all YouView roll outs to date, It's phased, so you will get the software when it is ready for you, and not before.

Who is your ISP?
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • Al GordinioAl Gordinio Posts: 2Member
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:42PM

Talk talk
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 30 November 2016, 12:24AM
    Joe2 said:

the niggly
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.I'm actually a grown-up and I learnt to read, oohhh, many years ago now ;-)
    The last thing I want is a screen full of randomly selected and usually irrelevant screenshots, quite often of the adverts that were on before the program started.....
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:57PM
    Visionman referred to "today's launch".
    What does that mean?
    The launch by TalkTalk?
    The retail launch? (Because that's presumably the version you have been using.)
    Or is it just the decision by YouView to allow you to start discussing your experiences of the new version in this forum?
    jimb said:

Visionman referred to "today's launch".
    What does that mean?
    The launch by TalkTalk?
    The retail launch? (Because that's presumably the version you have been using.)
    Or is it just the decision by YouView to allow you to start discussing your experiences of the new version in this forum?

I would say the launch is the commencement of the rollout of the new core YouView software to all 2.5m connected YouView boxes (with a policy of no box being left behind and this thus being applicable to all boxes). That launch, however, is a batched and phased process. The first batch is TalkTalk/Huawei supplied boxes and within that batch the rollout will be phased. It will almost certainly begin slowly and pick up speed. The next batch is stated as being the Humax/BT/Plusnet/retail boxes which again will be phased and likely split into sub-batches for the different ISPs and retail. The core YouView system rolling out though is common to all, but each ISP may have an ISP specific section, add on, player or companion app.

The discussion above is thus relevant to any box and not about features specific to any one box type or ISP :)
    jimb said:

Apologies. My questioning the display of the progress bar was mistaken.
    This is a progress bar of the programme - not the thing you get by pressing play in the old version.
    edited 30 November 2016, 8:41AM
    Joe2 said:

the niggly
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.The picture tiles use stock images , not a random snapshot from the recording - so in that respect you're safe :)
    edited 30 November 2016, 3:22PM
    jimb said:

I find the progress bar quite useful, you can see at a glance see how far in to the current program you are, and it also serves to show how much recorded buffer you have. It's a good combo
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    I've just checked my updated box and I'm no longer getting 5.1 output from the BBC1HD recordings I have. This is my secondary box - My main box hasn't updated and I'm worried it'll get forced to update and lose surround sound. Has anyone got 5.1 working with NextGen? 
    (Yes I've checked the settings)