YouView next gen: first impressions

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    Roy1 said:

(i) Can someone with the original UI please check if you do get offered the HD option when selecting an SD programme from the EPG?

I recall that you did, but I have been contradicted about this, and maybe it is only an option on the Apps?

(ii) Series recordings don't always bring up the spurious extra tile. I believe you only get this on NextGen from App series requests, not EPG ones. Unless anyone knows different?

(iii) Is that 30x really a 30x? I recall on Current Gen reporting that fast forwarding was going a good deal faster than the nominal rate, with an hour-long programme flashing by in a lot less than two minutes. But maybe they fixed this?

But the main thing here is that this is a root and branch bottom up rewrite of the GUI, and a good few things that go deeper than that, now that the correct approach seems clear, with us knocking on the door of 2017, in a way it could never have been in 2012.

Yes, it still goes to the same places, and it still leaves Keith's lists amazingly untouched, except maybe for a few additions needed. But the narrow winding country lane is now a fast, four-lane superhighway. And yes, it is bestrewn with billboards, some of which are going to need some more attention in the coming months.

But more power to YouView's elbow for having the courage to tear up the old approach before that narrow lane became a cul de sac, and create a solid foundation for going forward once more.

I just ran a two-hour film at x30, and that took 2:30, not the 4:00 that x30 would imply. So the 'x30' is more like x48, maybe x50 allowing for measurement error.

60 >>| presses get you one hour through in 40 seconds, so you can get to the end in 1:20, but this is hard on the thumbs :-(

So even though the x30 is faster than a real x30, we do indeed need some faster speeds.

Or the return of the ability to just type '120'.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Roy1 said:

(i) Can someone with the original UI please check if you do get offered the HD option when selecting an SD programme from the EPG?

I recall that you did, but I have been contradicted about this, and maybe it is only an option on the Apps?

(ii) Series recordings don't always bring up the spurious extra tile. I believe you only get this on NextGen from App series requests, not EPG ones. Unless anyone knows different?

(iii) Is that 30x really a 30x? I recall on Current Gen reporting that fast forwarding was going a good deal faster than the nominal rate, with an hour-long programme flashing by in a lot less than two minutes. But maybe they fixed this?

But the main thing here is that this is a root and branch bottom up rewrite of the GUI, and a good few things that go deeper than that, now that the correct approach seems clear, with us knocking on the door of 2017, in a way it could never have been in 2012.

Yes, it still goes to the same places, and it still leaves Keith's lists amazingly untouched, except maybe for a few additions needed. But the narrow winding country lane is now a fast, four-lane superhighway. And yes, it is bestrewn with billboards, some of which are going to need some more attention in the coming months.

But more power to YouView's elbow for having the courage to tear up the old approach before that narrow lane became a cul de sac, and create a solid foundation for going forward once more.

So there used to be the facility to jump a specified number of minutes did there? Yes, we definitely could do with that one back.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

Indeed there did, the loss of that ability to just type a minute number is in 'the bad' list above :)

Thanks Roy for testing the actual speed of the fast forward and confirming it does not appear to be what it states it is, but even so that faster speeds are needed. Perhaps YouView should just mark each fast forward speed with a number/level rather than say how fast it is supposed to be, e.g. FF1, FF2, or call them warp speeds ;-)
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2016, 10:14AM
    al said:

I've just checked my updated box and I'm no longer getting 5.1 output from the BBC1HD recordings I have. This is my secondary box - My main box hasn't updated and I'm worried it'll get forced to update and lose surround sound. Has anyone got 5.1 working with NextGen? 
    (Yes I've checked the settings)

Last I tested I managed to get surround sound via hdmi from a BBC HD broadcast recording...
    But the new symbol for surround sound ( 2 speakers ) is not displayed currently for recordings with 5.1 in mytv recordings . And to make it more confusing info on programs in the tv guide often displays the surround sound symbol when there is none present.

Edit: Youview are aware of the incorrect surround info - hoping for a fast fix
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    Joe2 said:

Nice write up Keith. You've covered a lot of points there.

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.They are still images that I probably wouldn't recognise if I hadn't already seen the show.
    Roy1 said:

Is the ability to jump a specified number of minutes still in the old software? If it is, how do I use it?
  • scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2016, 10:22AM
    al said:

I've just checked my updated box and I'm no longer getting 5.1 output from the BBC1HD recordings I have. This is my secondary box - My main box hasn't updated and I'm worried it'll get forced to update and lose surround sound. Has anyone got 5.1 working with NextGen? 
    (Yes I've checked the settings)

I have an issue raised (another reason I said this wasn't actually ready for release) in that I found the Sound settings don't work.

I find I get Stereo only via Optical and Surround only via HDMI no matter what the settings are set to...youView have said they are aware of this :-(

Are you using Optical for your output al

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

I'm not in front of a box at the moment, and did not use this feature often, but from memory, in the recording list highlight the entry, press info to reveal the details, progress bar and slider, now enter a minute number and the progress bar should move to that point, then press play and it will start from that point.
    edited 30 November 2016, 11:10AM
    Roy1 said:

I think you can also just pause what you are watching and then type in the minute you want to go to (as long as you can see the progress bar you should be able to do it), My memory is bad lol I used this all the time...

As an example I recorded the Moto GP qualifying, BT in there wisdom have one programme for all three classes and ends up being 4 1/2 hours long. I am only interested in the Moto GP class so I know I could type in 2 hours and start watching about where the Moto GP qualifying starts. I now have to press skip forward 120 times to get there :-( (or out of interest ff the IP recording ;-))

edited 26 May 2017, 8:27AM
    Joe2 said:

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.In some cases yes. That's when the ability to read comes In handy :)
    edited 30 November 2016, 10:44AM
    Joe2 said:

the niggly
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.

If you don't like pictures you will hate the new Virgin V6 box then...looks like a trend :-)

Roy1 said:

Thanks chaps. I'll have a try later.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Looking at the announcement I noticed this

Subscription channel recordings

Recording times on your subscription channels (i.e. Sky 1) are now more accurate.

Anyone able to comment on their experience?
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:17PM
    Daniel4 said:

So much for next gen is more like 40 steps back. I want the hide channel list for hiding the free view junk. If I had a choice I won't install this junk upgrade. The old version is obviously better as it has more features. Youview it seams like your attempting to turn the box into prehistoric junk or just making the box worse as a punishment for all the users who complained about clipped recordings. I want padding on recordings and a channel list editor it should not be that difficult to give the customer what they want should it. Absolutely furious.

Stormy said:-
    I hide all the adult channels and guff
    I think it's bending down in front of the box causes that. Couldn't you do it from the remote? :-)
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    zulu17 said:

Recording times on your subscription channels (i.e. Sky 1) are now more accurate.

Hi Zulu, thanks for asking. Actually this improvement didn't quite make it into this update. Unfortunately the release note wasn't amended in time. But we've removed that line now.

You should see this improvement in a future update though, so we'll let everyone know (after triple checking) in those release notes when it's been included. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    jimb said:

Visionman referred to "today's launch".
    What does that mean?
    The launch by TalkTalk?
    The retail launch? (Because that's presumably the version you have been using.)
    Or is it just the decision by YouView to allow you to start discussing your experiences of the new version in this forum?

And to answer the other part of your question, jimb, yes, we've been given permission by the YouView team to discuss the new core GUI and to help and assist with any problems or queries on and with it.
    Its also important to stress that what is rolling out now is the core YouView system. The bulk of it if you will, with further enhancements to come. Though what those enhancements will be and in what order is within YouViews remit only.
    My first impression from day one of using it is that it was and is totally stable, which for a triallist is a surprise to be sure, but was a welcome one at that.
    zulu17 said:

TalkTalk referenced this on their own forum and also stated there will, moving forward, be enhanced reliability and increased picture quality in regard to their Sky Sports channels using 'enhanced codecs', but they didn't go into detail. I'd post a link but don't remember which thread I read it on.
  • David8David8 Posts: 655Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Joe2 said:

the niggly
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.No oil painting is it lol.
  • Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Posts: 43Member
    edited 2 December 2016, 2:53PM
    Roy1 said:

Observations on series recordings display in MyTV: When you click on a series record icon in MyTV you are taken to a set of icons for the individual recordings. These are displayed with newest to the right - the opposite sort to that used on the previous page, I would prefer the same sort as the previous page. It feels discordant at the moment.

I have already got used to looking on the recording image to find the date of recording. I would also like the recording date to be displayed on the images for the multiple episodes of a series record. And as another minor point, I find the lock/recording icon hard to see. How about just having a record icon and moving the padlock icon to the RHS of the row above. There is plenty of room for it there.
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Does anyone else miss the time being displayed when you hit the OK (or Info) button whilst watching something? I do. I used it all the time as a quick easy way to check the time. The only option I have found now is to press the Guide button but this is much slower to put up a display than the OK button.
    edited 1 December 2016, 1:13PM

Does anyone else miss the time being displayed when you hit the OK (or Info) button whilst watching something? I do. I used it all the time as a quick easy way to check the time. The only option I have found now is to press the Guide button but this is much slower to put up a display than the OK button.

Yes agreed. Quick access to time with OK press would be helpful.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:58PM

Am I being dim here, or are you asking for the YouView box to tell you the time? 
    edited 30 November 2016, 8:22PM

Just to tell us the time more often

Tick-tock...
    edited 30 November 2016, 8:24PM

Yes, I want it to tell me the time. I haven't worn a watch since I got a mobile phone 15 years ago and I dont usually have my phone with me when I am watching TV.

LOL :-)

Bug bear - how many people who are wearing a watch get asked the time only to go to the trouble to go into their pocket, turn on their phone and say "Its...." using the hand and wrist their watch is actually strapped to. :(
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

Not many, I would hazard a guess.

Most people wear their watch on the opposite wrist from their dominant hand, the hand they would reach for their phone with :-)

As a sinistral, I wear my watch on my right wrist, reach for my phone with my left hand, transfer it to my right hand, and then open and operate it with my left (I double-checked by observing myself try this out; normally I just leave it, almost unconsciously, to muscle memory).

I've noticed right-handed people hold their phone in their left hand (with the watch on) and use their right hand to swipe and operate it.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 4:35AM

On 4 music there is a extra 3 music channels behind the red button. On free view if you press the red button a screen comes up allowing you to watch karrang, magic etc this unfortunately has never worked on you view. Also box nation don't work can someone please confirm if these now work on the next gen software as I would really like to use karrang