YouView next gen: first impressions

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Keith1 said:

I have been interested to see how this conversation and other related ones (e.g. this one discussing the EPG specifically) have evolved. It is particularly interesting to hear some of Dave's comments as someone who does not have the new system but who has helped a (small) number of people who do. All in all the update is not really a huge change in the underlying logic of how to use the box but the visual changes and some of the niggles can be seen to lead to frustration and confusion for some, and an understandable desire in some cases to not receive the changes at this point in time.

Given this rewrite has taken on the order of 12-18 months one might wonder how much time YouView would estimate it would take were they to aim to address the majority of the bad and niggly points lists above. Some/many look like they could be quite simple to address so one might wonder would such work take say 2 months or 6 months. If it were the former then one could speculate TalkTalk felt what was ready was more important to them than the inconvenience and possible negative feedback of the current state, where perhaps BT thought it was better to wait for a couple of months more polishing and finishing touches. Equally of course with a roll out now under way YouView might have limited intention over the next 2 months to actually address such features feedback and primarily focus on the roll out and addressing any bugs that come up.

Thus without detailed inside information of their development process and thinking one cannot really say what the best call is. To have decided to roll out now is a reasonable decision although equally given the points above, were it my project and if I knew we could address many of the points quickly, then I would very likely look to do so before starting such a  big roll out. Equally though if I knew I could address these points quickly and incrementally, and that I could perhaps drop one or two such 'fixes' in say every 1-2 weeks and demonstrate the supposed new ability to make updates more easily and frequently, then perhaps I would be more happy to release and then demonstrate that better ability to update plus the fact I was listening and responding to the user feedback and thus generate a second wave of growing positive feedback which I might then be able to ride and maintain.

The bottom line though for now is that it is what it is, people will get it when they get it (unless they disconnect it from the network at night and possible always), and hopefully YouView are taking on board all the feedback and will respond with feature improvements in the near future :)

Thats certainly a possibility, but whichever way they do it, they'll keep it both straight forward and simple. Like me. :)
  • TaTaTaTa Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I have had a new talktalk update installed today and I really love it. Very fast, easy to use.
    I especially love a 'mini guide'.  When pressing blue Y or Youview button it opens a little 'visual images' of programs that are 'on now'.  Excellent feature but it doesn't seem to be showing programs from across all the channels.
    There is no information from the 'main' channels like BBC1, BBC2, ITV, 4, 5 etc but only from 'less' popular channels : ITV2, ITV3, Dave, Yesterday, Pick, Really, More 4 etc.
    I wonder whether it is some sort of early software bug or talktalk/youview deliberately uses this feature as a paid-for advertisement of the channels willing to promote their programs/channels in the 'mini guide'? 

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    TaTa said:

I have had a new talktalk update installed today and I really love it. Very fast, easy to use.
    I especially love a 'mini guide'.  When pressing blue Y or Youview button it opens a little 'visual images' of programs that are 'on now'.  Excellent feature but it doesn't seem to be showing programs from across all the channels.
    There is no information from the 'main' channels like BBC1, BBC2, ITV, 4, 5 etc but only from 'less' popular channels : ITV2, ITV3, Dave, Yesterday, Pick, Really, More 4 etc.
    I wonder whether it is some sort of early software bug or talktalk/youview deliberately uses this feature as a paid-for advertisement of the channels willing to promote their programs/channels in the 'mini guide'? 

Hi TaTa - I've mentioned above that what I see are 10 channel tiles, the first 5 are channels 1, 3, 4, 5, 2 which are then followed by 5 less mainstream channels (some of which I do not use). I don't have a TalkTalk subscription though so my box is running in pure retail mode. I would have thought even for boxes with current ISP subscriptions the first 4 tiles would still be 1, 3, 4, 5 to acknowledge content from 4 of the main partners in YouView.

Hopefully someone else with a TalkTalk subscription can comment on what they see :)
    TaTa said:

I don't think anyone on here can answer that question at the moment. So it might be best to ask TalkTalk.
  • scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 December 2016, 10:31PM
    TaTa said:

The fifth tile is used for subscription channels on an isp build
    edited 5 December 2016, 11:32PM
    TaTa said:

Hi Keith, it may be that I have no BBC1, BBC2, ITV, 4 and 5 in my 'mini guide' as they are hidden in my guide? I use HD versions of these channels and the 'mini guide' may not be set up for (HD) channels 101 - 105?

As someone mentioned before you cannot hide any channels after the update but if they were hidden before the update they will remain hidden...
    edited 6 December 2016, 1:32PM
    TaTa said:

TaTa interesting point. I think it is a huge opportunity missed not having the HD variant on these, let's see if we are listened to.
    I also think that is a big issue. I can't see the main psb's being happy that they are not even in the list let alone first 4.
    TaTa said:

"The fifth tile is used for subscription channels on an isp build."
    Sorry if this is a silly question but how do you know that scott?
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    TaTa said:

Mine starts at Dave as I had the main SD channels hidden. Unfortunately the slightest mux change caused an entire mux to unhide itself so, apart from Dave, I have no interest in this screen.
    edited 5 December 2016, 11:32PM
    TaTa said:

I have checked my EPG and indeed the first 10 unhidden SD channels from my EPG show in the mini guide... 
    This is something that really needs improvement.
    Either all the available channels should be included in the 'mini guide' or a user should be able to set up their favorite channels (preferably more than 10). Just automatically putting in 'min guide' the first 10 SD unhidden channels from EPG is useless...
    edited 5 December 2016, 11:06PM
    TaTa said:

Oh a favourites list...now there's an idea. :-)
    TaTa said:

This information is fascinating.
    So the mini guide is picking up its info from ones own EPG. But if a user has hidden SD channels 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 the mini guide won't pick them up.
    Oh and everyones in agreement the mini guide should display the HD option channels first. Perhaps this is an indicator of why, at the moment, they cannot.
    TaTa said:

I think the mini guide should display my 5 most watched/recorded channels.
    TaTa said:

Based on the above insights and comments I have now added a entry into 'the niggly' list above to reflect the short comings of this new feature :)
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    You are a complete star Keith with this list. If you are going to keep this updated as we hopefully move through new releases I think it might be worth adding in that the Sound options do not work. I think this is a major flaw and was hoping someone else could confirm it is the same on there build. I have found that no matter what I put in the sound options I only get Surround via HDMI and Stereo via optical. Can someone who listens via optical check to see if they can get any surround (the simpsons on Ch4 HD used to be a good test subject) sound and also anybody see if they can switch to just stereo via HDMI. Obviously this is more relevant to an ISP led build where you get quite a lot of surround on the Extra HD/Sport HD channels and the Store bought movies.
    scott said:

You are a complete star Keith with this list. If you are going to keep this updated as we hopefully move through new releases I think it might be worth adding in that the Sound options do not work. I think this is a major flaw and was hoping someone else could confirm it is the same on there build. I have found that no matter what I put in the sound options I only get Surround via HDMI and Stereo via optical. Can someone who listens via optical check to see if they can get any surround (the simpsons on Ch4 HD used to be a good test subject) sound and also anybody see if they can switch to just stereo via HDMI. Obviously this is more relevant to an ISP led build where you get quite a lot of surround on the Extra HD/Sport HD channels and the Store bought movies.

I've added an entry about this in 'the bad' list above. I can update it further if it is not quite right or more details come to light :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    TaTa said:

I have repeatedly found during software upgrades and system rewrites, that users react subconsciously to the perceived limitations of the Ui, and the perceived possibilities.

Which we did on the largely text-oriented CurrentGen; despite asking for (and not often getting!) changes, we stayed within the format.

But with NextGen, we perceive much greater possibilities, and so we quite naturally expect more, a lot more, in the usability area.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the YouView development area, just to know if everyone there is startled by our reaction to what you currently have to do to watch a series of recordings, or whether they knew it was a clunker, but decided to go with that for the time being anyway.

But either way, somebody should have put their foot down and said "It does not go out like this".

Because, as the team is finding out, our raised expectations require them to raise their game; and the much greater range of choices require a greater skill from the UI designer.

I used to turn out quite decent systems in the old text-based days, but nowadays they won't even let me wireframe, and quite right too; I can still do the innards, but it takes a whole new breed to put the pretty face on it.

I do hope YouView have enough of, and listen to, this new breed.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
    scott said:

@Keith it's a bit of an odd one this as I only get stereo from HDMI (and optical was the same last time I checked)

This is on a T1000. I assume DD+ channels (I don't have any) are sent as is down the HDMI but as optical cannnot handle it, it's down mixed. I also assume AAC to DD hasn't been set up yet (like in the olden days)
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    An observation.. I believe that the Next Gen no longers indicates when the last software update occurred. the last checked dates are still displayed but not I believe the date an update actually happened .
    edited 6 December 2016, 11:02AM
    scott said:

@al so you are saying you don't get any proper surround output from anything on your T1000, does this include Netflix or can you not check that.
    scott said:

I think only the T4000 has ever had surround from Netflix. I wasn't thinking about Netflix when I said DD+ channels above. 

Currently my (NextGen) retail T1000 gives PCM 2.0 for everything it can show.
    My (LastGen) retail T2000 gives DD on FreeviewHD and PCM2.0 on SD, OnDemand, and Netflix.
    edited 6 December 2016, 12:24PM
    scott said:

So rather than fix the surround sound on Netflix they have actually broken the surround sound full stop on the next gen software...not very next gen :-(
    scott said:

A slight amendment to whats been posted - Freeview HD doesn't output Dolby Digital+ across the board. In fact only a very small minority of content is broadcast in this format, using HE-AAC. Heres a post on the matter from AVF, specifically dealing with optical out issues and circumstances  -
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/freeview-hd-5-1-dolby-digital-surround.1253508/
    edited 6 December 2016, 1:04PM
    scott said:

That is a very old thread Visionman. So the question is (I am assuming then that FreeviewHD still uses AAC) does the old gen platform transcode the AAC and output it as DD from the box (and the next gen platform isn't doing this). So is the next gen just outputting AAC which al's setup doesn't like or is it only putting out stereo even when in surround mode and watching a program that is using surround.

So going on from that are we saying the Extra HD/Sport HD channels that BT transmit use Dolby Digital + as the output and hence nothing else required.

scott said:

I have no idea, scott (sorry). All I know is that my T2000 is still capable and displays both DD & DD+ when appropriate content is on.
    What you would need to do is check this with a fellow T4000 G5 user and compare results. 
    scott said:

Are you saying your T2000 has NextGen and outputs BBC1HD with DD?
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2016, 2:26PM
    scott said:

Keith - Theres another important point about surround sound on next gen.
    I've noticed that the program info on live DTT tv often has the symbol for surround sound when there is actually none present. Conversely the recordings in MyTv don't have the surround sound symbol when there is surround sound present. 

My receiver is able to play back surround sound via Hdmi ( i don't have optical to check). This played back on a BBC 2 HD film which I'd recorded - Dead Poets Society. As I have pointed out, MyTv doesn't show the symbol for surround sound for this film, but it is present when pressing info on the live TV program. Its very confusing at present as you really can't trust the program information to be correct.

Heres what my receiver picks up: 

Sound set to Surround sound via HDMI, and receiver in direct mode

Dead Poets Society BBC2 HD
    • Sound: Dolby Digital + Dolby
    • Signal: Dolby Digital
    Stereo broadcast bbc1 HD
    • Sound: Direct
    • Signal: Dolby digital
    Sound set to Stereo via Hdmi, and receiver in direct mode

All content displays
    • Sound: Stereo
    • Signal: PCM
    Curious - does this indicate that there is transcoding going on with stereo signals , when the youview box is set to Surround Sound mode?

Edit: I'm using a T2000 box
    zulu17 said:

An observation.. I believe that the Next Gen no longers indicates when the last software update occurred. the last checked dates are still displayed but not I believe the date an update actually happened .

I've added this point into 'the niggly' list :)
    scott said:

I've added this point into 'the niggly' list too :)
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2016, 6:16PM
    scott said:

The incorrect listings of surround sound (SS) on the live tv info may be a long running issue  , so perhaps isn't specific to next gen?... But the absence  of surround sound listings on recorded programs in MyTV when you press info is a new issue.

Ideally both these issues need resolving in next gen

Edit: To give you a current example from a live DTT tv listing on Youview:  Frasier on C4HD says that it is broadcast in Surround Sound, but in actual fact is just stereo.