YouView next gen: first impressions

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2016, 8:01PM
    scott said:

You are a complete star Keith with this list. If you are going to keep this updated as we hopefully move through new releases I think it might be worth adding in that the Sound options do not work. I think this is a major flaw and was hoping someone else could confirm it is the same on there build. I have found that no matter what I put in the sound options I only get Surround via HDMI and Stereo via optical. Can someone who listens via optical check to see if they can get any surround (the simpsons on Ch4 HD used to be a good test subject) sound and also anybody see if they can switch to just stereo via HDMI. Obviously this is more relevant to an ISP led build where you get quite a lot of surround on the Extra HD/Sport HD channels and the Store bought movies.

So I partially agree with Joe on my box (T4000). The only difference I find is that when I change to stereo in the settings I still have the digital signal on freeviewHD channels and DD+ on the extras channels.
    Found a few programmes on freeview that state surround in the listing but are just stereo, not sure if this is a listing error or that the box is not decoding the aac signal even when there is a surround one. Will keep looking (the Simpson is normally my go to check lol).
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    scott said:

You are a complete star Keith with this list. If you are going to keep this updated as we hopefully move through new releases I think it might be worth adding in that the Sound options do not work. I think this is a major flaw and was hoping someone else could confirm it is the same on there build. I have found that no matter what I put in the sound options I only get Surround via HDMI and Stereo via optical. Can someone who listens via optical check to see if they can get any surround (the simpsons on Ch4 HD used to be a good test subject) sound and also anybody see if they can switch to just stereo via HDMI. Obviously this is more relevant to an ISP led build where you get quite a lot of surround on the Extra HD/Sport HD channels and the Store bought movies.

I'm currently watching Man City Vs Celtic and can confirm its in Dolby Digital+.
    edited 6 December 2016, 8:39PM
    scott said:

Even if you change to stereo in the settings...
    scott said:

I've now just accessed a recording of Sundays MOTD 2, which in the EPG prog info is listed as being Stereo (this listing is wrong, because MOTD 1&2 are always in DD. And my amp is indeed picking it up as Dolby Digital and it is outputting Surround Sound.
    scott said:

Switching to Stereo in Settings has the effect of changing the channels output to ProLogic II. So by extrapolation its not the switch to HTML5 thats causing your issues. And its a strange one TBS.
    Edit - leaving HDMI on Stereo and S/PDIF to Surround, returns the DD+ Surround Sound to normal.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2016, 9:48PM
    zulu17 said:

An observation.. I believe that the Next Gen no longers indicates when the last software update occurred. the last checked dates are still displayed but not I believe the date an update actually happened .

Does the next gen still have high contrast mode?????
    edited 6 December 2016, 10:06PM
    scott said:

So found something that agrees with Joe. This is us on ch4HD plays in surround so it appears everything plays as it should via HDMI in surround on the T4000 box BUT you cannot stop it from playing in surround no matter what settings you choose in the menu. Just as an aside 'this is us' states surround on the live guide but not in the info on the recording.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2016, 10:31PM
    scott said:

@scott sounds like the T4000 still has a bit of fine tuning to do if switching to stereo has no affect. This is not the case with the T2000, switching to stereo in settings gives me a stereo signal.
    zulu17 said:

An observation.. I believe that the Next Gen no longers indicates when the last software update occurred. the last checked dates are still displayed but not I believe the date an update actually happened .

"I've added this point into 'the niggly' list :)"

I'd withdraw that point from the niggly list, Keith, giving reference to the right-hand side of your software info page. No doubt in time this will change.
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    scott said:

So it sounds like:
    T1000 stereo only
    T2000 correct audio
    T4000 surround only (when available)

In that case I'm just waiting for channel hiding to return and then I'll be happy to update my T2000.
    I wonder how many T4000 users have non Dolby compatible TVs and no amp.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    zulu17 said:

Hi Daniel - yes the high contrast setting is still available :)
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Posts: 208Member ✭✭
    edited 17 December 2016, 1:36PM
    Keith1 said:

I have been interested to see how this conversation and other related ones (e.g. this one discussing the EPG specifically) have evolved. It is particularly interesting to hear some of Dave's comments as someone who does not have the new system but who has helped a (small) number of people who do. All in all the update is not really a huge change in the underlying logic of how to use the box but the visual changes and some of the niggles can be seen to lead to frustration and confusion for some, and an understandable desire in some cases to not receive the changes at this point in time.

Given this rewrite has taken on the order of 12-18 months one might wonder how much time YouView would estimate it would take were they to aim to address the majority of the bad and niggly points lists above. Some/many look like they could be quite simple to address so one might wonder would such work take say 2 months or 6 months. If it were the former then one could speculate TalkTalk felt what was ready was more important to them than the inconvenience and possible negative feedback of the current state, where perhaps BT thought it was better to wait for a couple of months more polishing and finishing touches. Equally of course with a roll out now under way YouView might have limited intention over the next 2 months to actually address such features feedback and primarily focus on the roll out and addressing any bugs that come up.

Thus without detailed inside information of their development process and thinking one cannot really say what the best call is. To have decided to roll out now is a reasonable decision although equally given the points above, were it my project and if I knew we could address many of the points quickly, then I would very likely look to do so before starting such a  big roll out. Equally though if I knew I could address these points quickly and incrementally, and that I could perhaps drop one or two such 'fixes' in say every 1-2 weeks and demonstrate the supposed new ability to make updates more easily and frequently, then perhaps I would be more happy to release and then demonstrate that better ability to update plus the fact I was listening and responding to the user feedback and thus generate a second wave of growing positive feedback which I might then be able to ride and maintain.

The bottom line though for now is that it is what it is, people will get it when they get it (unless they disconnect it from the network at night and possible always), and hopefully YouView are taking on board all the feedback and will respond with feature improvements in the near future :)

Perhaps they will fix it, this sentence on the seenit review hints at likely enhancements:
     'At launch a rebranded MyTV section – previously MyView – will house the user’s recordings but will be enhanced in future updates to include features such as ‘continue watching’ shortcuts to any partially watched recordings in your library. '

http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-the-next-generation-whats-in-store-for-the-uks-smart-tv-platform/
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,030Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 5:12PM
    A positive review that explains some of the changes to next gen

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/youview-next-generation-hands-on
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:43PM
    Joe2 said:

A positive review that explains some of the changes to next gen

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/youview-next-generation-hands-on

as there ever been a bad review on trusted reviews :~D
    Everything in the world is brilliant!
  • MisterMintsMisterMints Posts: 60Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:45PM
    Apologies, I've not read through all the replies on this so it may have already been answered but does the new software allow you to record the whole programme if the beginning has been missed?

For example, I've been tuned into BBC1 and the buffer has been filling and I've missed the first 20 minutes of a film on the channel. As my box has been on BBC1 already I could rewind to the beginning of the film, but if I were to press record it currently only saves what's been shown from that moment onwards.

Sky boxes would save the previous minutes that have been recorded but not viewed but as far as I can see YouView never implemented this and it is frustrating!
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:57PM

Apologies, I've not read through all the replies on this so it may have already been answered but does the new software allow you to record the whole programme if the beginning has been missed?

For example, I've been tuned into BBC1 and the buffer has been filling and I've missed the first 20 minutes of a film on the channel. As my box has been on BBC1 already I could rewind to the beginning of the film, but if I were to press record it currently only saves what's been shown from that moment onwards.

Sky boxes would save the previous minutes that have been recorded but not viewed but as far as I can see YouView never implemented this and it is frustrating!

I can't test this at the minute but I would be 99% certain it still doesn't. This is one of the things that has been on the feature request list for some time. Most things at the minute are just trying to get the functionality that was with the old system working but hopefully very soon the new HTML5 base will allow YouView to start adding things like this in a reasonable timeframe. Definetly one to put on the 'to do' list I think.

My personal thoughts are there will be some tinkering with the layout until full release (TalkTalk, BT and Retail) which should hopefully be Jan/Feb and then hopefully the rest of the year will see new features added.

• Mr manMr man Posts: 2Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 5:49PM
    Lets hope the new software gives us the option to set the picture size to atmospheric, I cant watch programmes with the two black bars on each side! Another long awaited wish by many would be DLNA being enabled.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:58PM
    Mr man said:

Lets hope the new software gives us the option to set the picture size to atmospheric, I cant watch programmes with the two black bars on each side! Another long awaited wish by many would be DLNA being enabled.

Two chances: Bob Hope and no hope.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 December 2016, 4:48PM
    Mr man said:

I though the two chances were Fat Chance and No Chance?

Oh, and Mr man - Atmospheric?
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:58PM
    Mr man said:

Ah, my bad, four chances.
  • David8David8 Posts: 655Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Mr man said:

Any ideas whether the Netflix app will receive the new video preview feature on Youview ?
    edited 13 December 2016, 7:46AM
    Mr man said:

Care to enlarge on that?
    edited 13 December 2016, 8:18AM
    Mr man said:

Guessing this :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4009246/Netflix-finally-adds-preview-videos-help-deci...

edited 13 December 2016, 8:18AM
    Mr man said:

Thank you, kind sir, that looks like it.

Trailers that aren't trailers; whatever next?
    edited 13 December 2016, 8:27AM
    Mr man said:

I am just waiting for the day that a little box will pop up in the corner of the screen right in the middle of the football match you are watching showing the shopping channel on 666 that just happens to be selling a football at that time :-)
    edited 13 December 2016, 9:22AM
    Mr man said:

Or right in the middle of the TV while someone is taking a corner in the football match :-)
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:49AM
    Did notice what seems to be another improvement unless it was an existing feature I didN'T use that

Pressing the Help Button on the remote control when an error message appears on screen will launch the Help App and take you straight to the help guide for that error code.
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    Interesting... I'm looking at my scheduled recordings list and Match of the Day is scheduled for tonight and MotD2 on Mon 19th Dec, but its not listed for Sat 17th Dec, even though its set to record on the EPG.
    edited 14 December 2016, 11:26AM
    Visionman said:

Interesting... I'm looking at my scheduled recordings list and Match of the Day is scheduled for tonight and MotD2 on Mon 19th Dec, but its not listed for Sat 17th Dec, even though its set to record on the EPG.

Isn't that because tonight is an extra motd and Saturdays will show up in scheduled after tonight has recorded. Monday is motd2 which is a different programme (sort of)
  • myersgmyersg Posts: 1Member
    edited 17 December 2016, 8:31AM
    Roy1 said:

(i) Can someone with the original UI please check if you do get offered the HD option when selecting an SD programme from the EPG?

I recall that you did, but I have been contradicted about this, and maybe it is only an option on the Apps?

(ii) Series recordings don't always bring up the spurious extra tile. I believe you only get this on NextGen from App series requests, not EPG ones. Unless anyone knows different?

(iii) Is that 30x really a 30x? I recall on Current Gen reporting that fast forwarding was going a good deal faster than the nominal rate, with an hour-long programme flashing by in a lot less than two minutes. But maybe they fixed this?

But the main thing here is that this is a root and branch bottom up rewrite of the GUI, and a good few things that go deeper than that, now that the correct approach seems clear, with us knocking on the door of 2017, in a way it could never have been in 2012.

Yes, it still goes to the same places, and it still leaves Keith's lists amazingly untouched, except maybe for a few additions needed. But the narrow winding country lane is now a fast, four-lane superhighway. And yes, it is bestrewn with billboards, some of which are going to need some more attention in the coming months.

But more power to YouView's elbow for having the courage to tear up the old approach before that narrow lane became a cul de sac, and create a solid foundation for going forward once more.

Yes, I can confirm that I am always offered the "Did you want the HD version" when choosing to record an SD program from the EPG. Maybe some cheap YouView variants do not offer this feature? As of this morning, I still have the old UI on my box.