YouView next gen: first impressions

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 December 2016, 6:28PM
    Roy1 said:

(i) Can someone with the original UI please check if you do get offered the HD option when selecting an SD programme from the EPG?

I recall that you did, but I have been contradicted about this, and maybe it is only an option on the Apps?

(ii) Series recordings don't always bring up the spurious extra tile. I believe you only get this on NextGen from App series requests, not EPG ones. Unless anyone knows different?

(iii) Is that 30x really a 30x? I recall on Current Gen reporting that fast forwarding was going a good deal faster than the nominal rate, with an hour-long programme flashing by in a lot less than two minutes. But maybe they fixed this?

But the main thing here is that this is a root and branch bottom up rewrite of the GUI, and a good few things that go deeper than that, now that the correct approach seems clear, with us knocking on the door of 2017, in a way it could never have been in 2012.

Yes, it still goes to the same places, and it still leaves Keith's lists amazingly untouched, except maybe for a few additions needed. But the narrow winding country lane is now a fast, four-lane superhighway. And yes, it is bestrewn with billboards, some of which are going to need some more attention in the coming months.

But more power to YouView's elbow for having the courage to tear up the old approach before that narrow lane became a cul de sac, and create a solid foundation for going forward once more.

YouView is YouView, from the meanest TalkTalk zapper to the latest UHD BT box :-)

Apparently only the BBC and C5 offer this option; and NextGen being a work in progress, it does not have this feature yet.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 12:28PM
    scott said:

You are a complete star Keith with this list. If you are going to keep this updated as we hopefully move through new releases I think it might be worth adding in that the Sound options do not work. I think this is a major flaw and was hoping someone else could confirm it is the same on there build. I have found that no matter what I put in the sound options I only get Surround via HDMI and Stereo via optical. Can someone who listens via optical check to see if they can get any surround (the simpsons on Ch4 HD used to be a good test subject) sound and also anybody see if they can switch to just stereo via HDMI. Obviously this is more relevant to an ISP led build where you get quite a lot of surround on the Extra HD/Sport HD channels and the Store bought movies.

It looks like the sound has now been fixed on the T1000 (ie I can now get SS when it's available)
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 15 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Keith1 said:

I have been interested to see how this conversation and other related ones (e.g. this one discussing the EPG specifically) have evolved. It is particularly interesting to hear some of Dave's comments as someone who does not have the new system but who has helped a (small) number of people who do. All in all the update is not really a huge change in the underlying logic of how to use the box but the visual changes and some of the niggles can be seen to lead to frustration and confusion for some, and an understandable desire in some cases to not receive the changes at this point in time.

Given this rewrite has taken on the order of 12-18 months one might wonder how much time YouView would estimate it would take were they to aim to address the majority of the bad and niggly points lists above. Some/many look like they could be quite simple to address so one might wonder would such work take say 2 months or 6 months. If it were the former then one could speculate TalkTalk felt what was ready was more important to them than the inconvenience and possible negative feedback of the current state, where perhaps BT thought it was better to wait for a couple of months more polishing and finishing touches. Equally of course with a roll out now under way YouView might have limited intention over the next 2 months to actually address such features feedback and primarily focus on the roll out and addressing any bugs that come up.

Thus without detailed inside information of their development process and thinking one cannot really say what the best call is. To have decided to roll out now is a reasonable decision although equally given the points above, were it my project and if I knew we could address many of the points quickly, then I would very likely look to do so before starting such a  big roll out. Equally though if I knew I could address these points quickly and incrementally, and that I could perhaps drop one or two such 'fixes' in say every 1-2 weeks and demonstrate the supposed new ability to make updates more easily and frequently, then perhaps I would be more happy to release and then demonstrate that better ability to update plus the fact I was listening and responding to the user feedback and thus generate a second wave of growing positive feedback which I might then be able to ride and maintain.

The bottom line though for now is that it is what it is, people will get it when they get it (unless they disconnect it from the network at night and possible always), and hopefully YouView are taking on board all the feedback and will respond with feature improvements in the near future :)

"Given this rewrite has taken on the order of 12-18 months one might wonder how much time YouView would estimate it would take were they to aim to address the majority of the bad and niggly points lists above. "

I admire your continued dogged faith that the Youview team have any plan whatesoever to address ANY "bad and niggly" points raised by customers, Keith. My observation - since the inception of YouView - is that they have absolutely no interest in doing this - hence the fact that most of the essential features provided by Humax boxes over 10 years ago still have not arrived with YouView, despite being requested by us for years.  What makes you believe that will change? I see absolutely no evidence for such a belief.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 27 January 2017, 12:41AM
    Keith1 said:

I have been interested to see how this conversation and other related ones (e.g. this one discussing the EPG specifically) have evolved. It is particularly interesting to hear some of Dave's comments as someone who does not have the new system but who has helped a (small) number of people who do. All in all the update is not really a huge change in the underlying logic of how to use the box but the visual changes and some of the niggles can be seen to lead to frustration and confusion for some, and an understandable desire in some cases to not receive the changes at this point in time.

Given this rewrite has taken on the order of 12-18 months one might wonder how much time YouView would estimate it would take were they to aim to address the majority of the bad and niggly points lists above. Some/many look like they could be quite simple to address so one might wonder would such work take say 2 months or 6 months. If it were the former then one could speculate TalkTalk felt what was ready was more important to them than the inconvenience and possible negative feedback of the current state, where perhaps BT thought it was better to wait for a couple of months more polishing and finishing touches. Equally of course with a roll out now under way YouView might have limited intention over the next 2 months to actually address such features feedback and primarily focus on the roll out and addressing any bugs that come up.

Thus without detailed inside information of their development process and thinking one cannot really say what the best call is. To have decided to roll out now is a reasonable decision although equally given the points above, were it my project and if I knew we could address many of the points quickly, then I would very likely look to do so before starting such a  big roll out. Equally though if I knew I could address these points quickly and incrementally, and that I could perhaps drop one or two such 'fixes' in say every 1-2 weeks and demonstrate the supposed new ability to make updates more easily and frequently, then perhaps I would be more happy to release and then demonstrate that better ability to update plus the fact I was listening and responding to the user feedback and thus generate a second wave of growing positive feedback which I might then be able to ride and maintain.

The bottom line though for now is that it is what it is, people will get it when they get it (unless they disconnect it from the network at night and possible always), and hopefully YouView are taking on board all the feedback and will respond with feature improvements in the near future :)

Hi churchwarden - I would not describe it as faith/certainty/confidence that such developments will happen and that it is then just a matter of when. Whilst one can point to developments across the 4 years of current/old gen (e.g. YouView app, adding of players such as Sky Store and Netflix, (UHD) IPTV channels, Connected Red Button) one can easily point to various small improvement requests, or inefficiencies in the UI, that appear to have seen no attention. One can hear, and to some extent see, that a lot of effort has gone into producing the next gen system, yet so far, if one looks beyond the shiny exterior, functionally it is a little behind the old gen system. YouView state they are continuing to develop the next gen system, and there have been some small leaks as to what that might mean on the TalkTalk forum, but until I see them for myself I certainly will not be counting such things as a certainty. They have also stated the next gen system is a better foundation for more rapid development, time will tell whether that is seen to hold true from an end user perspective.

So I would take the sentence you quote as the question it posed (2 months ago), but without any certainty it will receive a definite answer of a time estimate nor even any acknowledgement that some or all of those issues will be addressed. If we see any changes then no doubt I will document them in the various lists and then base my future comments on those, ultimately the facts then have to stand for themselves and anyone can see the progress or lack there of of course too ;-)

In the meantime I can perfectly adequately use the old gen or next gen systems for my current general needs (even though I can see the short comings and consider many would be easily addressed) but if something better suits my needs at some point then I would at that point not expect to be waiting around to see if YouView can do likewise :)
    edited 15 March 2017, 5:25PM
    Keith1 said:

As always, Keith, a thoroughly comprehensive reply - many thanks. Just totally frustrated at the total inability - or refusal - of the development team to listen to and implement the simplest of requests - over so many years. And I see no change in the current developments. Always jam tomorrow. Regardless of the so-called potential, delivery is what matters, and I've seen no evidence of anyone even listening, let alone moving towards delivering what is requested. Happy to be proved wrong, but not holding my breath. The rewrite provided so many opportunities for improvements which do not seem to have materialised. As you say, the product has competition so it's a case of reviewing everything out there and picking the functionality that best fits your requirements at the time. Keep up the good work. Back to hibernation.... ;-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January 2017, 12:39AM
    Keith1 said:

Keith is right, though. They are going to make changes and updates so it is a case of not 'if' but 'when'. Though as said, the proof will be in the eating of the pudding.
    edited 27 January 2017, 10:07AM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Churchwarden

While I share your frustration at the long list of seemingly minor enhancement requests that would have made such a difference to CurrentGen, I do understand the strategy of not making any of them in the initial release of NextGen.
    (Always assuming that YouView mean to make any of them ever, of course).

It's always better to migrate the software from one platform to another, which is what NextGen is, with as few functionality changes as possible; which is why NextGen is CurrentGen, or at least a largish subset of it, with a new suit of clothes, but very much the same critter inside them, featurewise.

But I am sure that once NextGen is a complete migration of CurrentGen, and some of the nits introduced by moving to the new UI are squashed, YouView will be able to return to its policy of not making many of the enhancements we have requested because it is disinclined to do so, and not because of platform migration issues :-)
    edited 27 January 2017, 5:05PM
    Keith1 said:

Having spent a significant portion of my professional life - indeed since 1966 - working in computing I understand - like you - the virtue of a 'clean' transfer. However, it does appear some functionality has been altered along the way, but nothing, I believe (I stand to be corrected) on the list drawn up and requested by us over many years. Indeed, some existing functionality has been removed. However, I am quite prepared to await developments, and watch this space (albeit only every 3 months or so), although I regret that I cannot raise any hopes that things our experience will be much improved over that of the past - indeed 5 years come June of this year. And I am, by nature, an optimist - tempered with experience and a dash of reality. Possibilities are one thing. The expectation that YouView will deliver on those possibilities is probably a step too far.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January 2017, 5:12PM
    Keith1 said:

And I am, by nature, an optimist - tempered with experience and a dash of reality.
    Nice phrase, have a like.  :-)
    edited 27 January 2017, 5:13PM
    Keith1 said:

And you, my friend. ;-)
  • edited 26 February 2017, 1:56AM
    Mr man said:

Lets hope the new software gives us the option to set the picture size to atmospheric, I cant watch programmes with the two black bars on each side! Another long awaited wish by many would be DLNA being enabled.

What is the point no staff at youview respond it's Roy and Visionman forum why
    edited 26 February 2017, 11:28AM
    Mr man said:

Lets hope the new software gives us the option to set the picture size to atmospheric, I cant watch programmes with the two black bars on each side! Another long awaited wish by many would be DLNA being enabled.

This is intended to be a largely peer-to-peer forum, albeit with careful oversight from YouView staff like Sanj, Stephen, and Phil.

But they do tend to answer only the questions that peer-to-peer can't, or mustn't, provide answers to, and provide gentle correction to any errors of fact that may arise.

I don't think they are allowed to express opinions, not publicly anyway :-)

So they certainly aren't going to pop up and engage in debates about the timing and content (or lack of it) of the NextGen release.

As to calling this the Roy and Visionman forum, you do Keith, redchiz and others an injustice by not mentioning their contributions.

And there is no closed shop here; if you have the knowledge, the time and the dedication, by all means step up to the plate and shoulder a portion of the burden.

But in the meantime, please don't denigrate those who do :-(
  • momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 10:39AM
    Mr man said:

Well said Roy.  The forum works well with the input from the knowledgeable like yourself and the others you mention.  I have neither the knowledge, or to be honest the interest, but I am happy to hear what input you all give.
  • edited 26 February 2017, 11:13AM
    Mr man said:

Well said Roy
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    The key point is that the forum is for peer-peer support. Not improvements, feature requests, design changes. As has been evident over more than 4 years, these are a waste of time.
  • Sandra1Sandra1 Posts: 4Member
    edited 13 April 2017, 9:13PM
    redchiz said:

An excellent summary Keith. Overall I think the changes are positive, certainly my ageing T1000 is generally zippier than it has ever been. But MyTV, oh dear. Once one gets past the eye-catching new visuals then functionality is dreadful, you have captured most of the points above, who on earth wants to watch a series newest episode first? And I was tearing my hair out when I found myself constantly and unexpectedly being dumped back onto live TV with the added annoyance of multiple key presses afterwards to get back to where I was before. Needs work in that area for sure.

Personally I hate the new user interface on MyTV. Messy, not enough information, difficult to see from across a room, I'm deleting the wrong things or having to get up to see properly which programme is which, length date of recording etc . The lists were clean, easy to read and use.
  • Sandra1Sandra1 Posts: 4Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:04PM
    Joe2 said:

To criticise, I would say that the MyTV series folders need much better curation, and navigation options, particularly with very large series recordings.

• Allow for easy sequential viewing of a series folder. Default tile selection should be earliest rather then the most recent recording. And should remember where you last watched
    • Clearer and consistant display of extended program Info. We need titles in bold, episode and series numbers displayed consistently at the top of the text block.
    • episode/series number, and title displayed on the individual tiles.
    • Series folders also need to be curated by seasons ( in chronological order, regardless of when the recordings were made). 
    I think most of these points are already successfully implemented in Youview search results format, so hopefully its just a matter transposing that onto MyTv series folders. The new build with its quicker updates should help in this matter.
    Yes!
    edited 20 April 2017, 7:26AM
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,180Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 1:52PM
    Keith I think you've overlooked the "Action panel" which is missing but will be restored.
    (Discussed here: https://community.youview.com/youview...)
    edited 12 March 2017, 4:10PM
    jimb said:

Keith I think you've overlooked the "Action panel" which is missing but will be restored.
    (Discussed here: https://community.youview.com/youview...)

Thanks Jim - I had so far been working with the view that the key things from within that action panel were actions/features captured in more layman's terms in some of the other points above.

I have though now included a point specifically for this for completeness, after all not everyone discovers and digests information in the same way or from the same view point and thus providing options can be helpful ;-)
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:12PM
    Keith, a rare good point you have missed is that the number of devices you can run the app on and link back to the box from is now 'virtually unlimited', Stephen tells us.

I leave it as an exercise to rhe reader to determine if it is rare that there is a good point, or rare that Keith misses one, or both :-)
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:55AM
    Roy1 said:

Keith, a rare good point you have missed is that the number of devices you can run the app on and link back to the box from is now 'virtually unlimited', Stephen tells us.

I leave it as an exercise to rhe reader to determine if it is rare that there is a good point, or rare that Keith misses one, or both :-)

Good point Roy - I had noticed that point but seem to have mentally down played it to the point of exclusion when writing my lists above. I have now added it under 'the good' section since every little ounce of good is surely a positive thing :)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,180Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:40PM
    Roy1 said:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define...
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:12PM
    Roy1 said:

Just when the guy in the example was turning over a new page.....
  • steve23094steve23094 Posts: 63Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:21PM
    Joe2 said:

Nice write up Keith. You've covered a lot of points there.

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.No. The image tiles with truncated titles suck big time.
  • steve23094steve23094 Posts: 63Member
    edited 15 March 2017, 4:17PM
    Joe2 said:

Nice write up Keith. You've covered a lot of points there.

My impressions of Next Gen are all very positive. I think Youview have designed something very special. I welcome the new visual design.

In contrast to keith, I really like the use of the large tile in MyTv. I disagree that it is "illogical". I think it serves an important part in the new design, and visual language. It serves to create a dynamic focal point in the presentation of recordings, whilst still being easy to read. I think If you're going to embrace a visual language then make the most of it  - play with scale/size etc. Create dynamic, make it an enjoyable, & fun experience. Restricting yourself to a monotonous list of small squares would be... well monotonous :) I think Youview strike the right balance here, creating fun, but also utilitarian MyTV

the niggly
    • highlighted programme in the EPG no longer shows its duration or start/end time so one can only guestimate the duration
    Regarding the niggly point above, If you press the info button on a program in the guide it gives you this information.No. The image tiles with truncated titles suck big time.
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Posts: 29Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:16PM
    scott said:

Thanks Keith. You got all that info very quickly ;-)

This feels like the way computer games are going, roll out and patch as you go along. It is nice to see they have actually released it to the public (not many public (non-testers) are reporting having it yet but still early in the day) but it still feels rushed out and not polished, maybe January would have given them the little extra time to polish some features ;-)

I do feel this build will annoy a lot of people and should have been held back to not give the wrong impression on what (with some polish) looks very promising.

It's a polished turd if you ask me.  Revert it and give us back something that's useable.  Fix all the fundamental problems and then release when it's fit for purpose.
  • Lucy ConnellyLucy Connelly Posts: 2Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Have joined this forum just to add my voice. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE NEW INTERFACE. I want to be able to list my recorded programs as text, NOT images, and I want to be able to sort them alphabetically so I can find all X-Files together, etc. It used to be so quick and easy.

*** PLEASE can we have a text list back.

I feel like someone has broken into my house, and taken my box which I chose carefully and spent good money on, and left me a pile of ****.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 4:58PM

Have joined this forum just to add my voice. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE NEW INTERFACE. I want to be able to list my recorded programs as text, NOT images, and I want to be able to sort them alphabetically so I can find all X-Files together, etc. It used to be so quick and easy.

I feel like someone has broken into my house, and taken my box which I chose carefully and spent good money on, and left me a pile of ****.

"I feel like someone has broken into my house."
    If you have ever had someone break into your house, no you don't.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 13 June 2017, 11:49PM

I have, and I would ........