Mini TV in next Generation Guide missing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 27 April 2017, 9:34PM in Discussion
Reports of beta testers saying they want a mini TV in the guide rather than transparent seems to have gone unnoticed people are saying, i cant comment 100% because im a retail consumer and my services will not update until next year im led to believe! Loyal retail customers left out. But if reports are true and mini TV in guide is gone then the company YouView failed to listen to the consumers, maybe its time to check out freeview play or an app store on your smart or 4K TV and see which platform is best, seems like next generation is 3 generations behind freeview play, Sky Q (although cant really compare SKy as they charge mega money) and Android and firefox TV platforms. Come on Youview once upon a time you gained great results and reviews.

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 11:46PM

Samuel, this is quite a poorly thought out post. You can't say YouView are behind all the other platforms when they have had a mini tv for many years. You could say they are leaders and moved to the next generation ahead of all the other platforms by moving from the mini tv to a transparent tv.

Going back to a point hidden beneath all the threats about leaving is the question about whether the move from the mini tv actually works. YouView are listening to this and I would suggest could move back to this if enough people state they don't like the new format. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean the majority don't, but the majority should be listened to if that does turn out to be the case...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 20 December 2016, 3:06AM
    Ok i agree somewhat, just feel youview has been left behind with smart TVs with Android and Firefox platforms the advert when youview launched said loads of apps and players yet a snart tv offers 4k and more apps as does freeview play, if youview does not catch up then when people get new TVs youview may be noview.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 10:56AM
    scott said:

Samuel, this is quite a poorly thought out post. You can't say YouView are behind all the other platforms when they have had a mini tv for many years. You could say they are leaders and moved to the next generation ahead of all the other platforms by moving from the mini tv to a transparent tv.

Going back to a point hidden beneath all the threats about leaving is the question about whether the move from the mini tv actually works. YouView are listening to this and I would suggest could move back to this if enough people state they don't like the new format. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean the majority don't, but the majority should be listened to if that does turn out to be the case...

I can't say I will miss the mini TV personally.
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 160Member ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM
    It could really do with being more transparent, can't really see the TV channel behind the TV guide :(
  • Colin NowellColin Nowell Posts: 126Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I think the key point to think about in all this is whether Youview, as a platform, has even kept up with the fast moving pace of development in the broadcast arena; never mind whether it ever led it or not...

In my own view, it has never led or even kept up with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Fire or Apple TV. The only analogy I can think of is that the Youview platform is like a petulant teenager jumping up and down having a fake tantrum and everyone around are simply ignoring its behaviour and getting on with life. "Life" in this case being technological advance at a rapid rate where luddites (=Youview) get left behind...
  • scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 11:34AM

I think the key point to think about in all this is whether Youview, as a platform, has even kept up with the fast moving pace of development in the broadcast arena; never mind whether it ever led it or not...

In my own view, it has never led or even kept up with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Fire or Apple TV. The only analogy I can think of is that the Youview platform is like a petulant teenager jumping up and down having a fake tantrum and everyone around are simply ignoring its behaviour and getting on with life. "Life" in this case being technological advance at a rapid rate where luddites (=Youview) get left behind...

I didn't know you could watch Public broadcast channels on Netflix or view a TV Guide, or are we talking apples and pears. It is a lot easier to be a leader when you are concentrating wholly on one thing...

You need to compare YouView with the likes of Freeview, Freesat and Freeview play (in the broadcast arena). Which of these are vastly superior to YouView?

Of course everyone has their opinion and right to choose, if you don't like it move on to something you do. That is the beauty.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 20 December 2016, 3:06AM

You also need to compare to smart TVs as they have players ans Apps and goid quality TV guides these days.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

Sony clearly don't think a smart TV is complete unless it has YouView on it :-)
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    Colin Nowell>
    "In my own view, it [YouView] has never led or even kept up with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Fire or Apple TV. The only analogy I can think of is that the Youview platform is like a petulant teenager jumping up and down having a fake tantrum."

What an interesting comment. I wasn't aware the above devices were also plug-and-play Hybrid Freeview HD PVRs that seamlessly integrate IP & TV?  

• Colin NowellColin Nowell Posts: 126Member
    edited 20 December 2016, 9:53AM
    Visionman said:

Colin Nowell>
    "In my own view, it [YouView] has never led or even kept up with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Fire or Apple TV. The only analogy I can think of is that the Youview platform is like a petulant teenager jumping up and down having a fake tantrum."

What an interesting comment. I wasn't aware the above devices were also plug-and-play Hybrid Freeview HD PVRs that seamlessly integrate IP & TV?  

They're not but then that wasn't my wider point. It is only a matter of time before DVB-T & T2 and DVB-S & S2 go the way of the dinosaur. At that point, all forms of transmission OTA will become redundant at a stroke and data streaming will take over completely as conventional forms of antennae disappear completely from our homes. Of course there needs to be a sea change in bandwidth capacity "to the door" but that will also ramp up to the required levels in time also, as fibre penetration rises too.

Another wider point I was trying (perhaps badly and too tersely) to make is that the team at Youview seem to think they can just stroll along taking their own sweet time and that it's absolutely no problem to take 6 months just to add a couple of measly features that no-one was asking for anyway! In the current ever accelerating world of media broadcasting, you need to move just a tad faster than that if you are going to survive.

Yes, the three platforms I mentioned are effectively IP only currently but that hasn't held them back from being capable of live broadcast TV with the right app anyway...

All the current crop of Youview boxes are under powered in terms of cpu horsepower and working RAM at a time when hardware component prices at that level have never been cheaper in volume. I will never understand why Humax (for example) thought that it was a good idea to build a box using what is essentially a 200MHz obsolete processor as a base! What were they thinking??

Anyway, I've ranted long enough and hope that I have clarified the main thrust of my argument a little better...
    Visionman said:

Colin Nowell>

Netflix is today's take on Blockbuster, AppleTV is blissfully unaware that we have TV channels in the UK, even in Player form, and even though Amazon Fire comes close to a device that would make OTA redundant, its All4 can't get past the first set of adverts in catchup mode and doesn't even have a live mode.

And you can't flick through Players like you can broadcast channels, on any of these devices.

TVPlayer eases the pain, though, even if it just does linear.

I know all this because when we are out in Spain, our UK TV watching is necessarily all internet-based, albeit over 300Mb fibre to the router in our remote hilltop village, that even Londoners struggling under the yoke of BT Overreach can only dream about.

So it's doable, but it's a relief to come home to Freeview and YouView, which do this stuff more reliably, smoothly, and seamlessly. And YouView records....

OTA has a good few years yet to run. I can't see YouView, especially the new NextGen YouView, falling far behind these other platforms in this time. But I can see it quite probably outstripping them in that timescale, if indeed it does not outstrip them now.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 3 December 2016, 1:09AM

Hmmmm...... Sony...... Betamax....Laser discs......Phase Distortion Synthesizers....DAT Walkman.... Video to DAT recorder..... Minidisc.....Mini Datadisc...... Let's hope it's not the kiss of death :~D
    Still, they came up with the Walkman...........

And the big shirt pocket :-)

But not guilty on the Laserdisc front; that was pretty much Philips.

But later, (with Philips and their experience on Laserdisc, so it wasn't all wasted) the CD, the DVD* and the Blu-ray.

Sony do spectacularly better when they partner with somebody.

*A couple of other partners for DVD.But you get the general idea.
    edited 3 December 2016, 5:20PM

I wasn't being entirely serious :~)
    Sony have always made seriously good, well engineered kit. I have one of their Type M tape recorders from 1952 that essentially runs on clockwork, and it's still in perfect working order, and a 1965 TA-1120 amplifier I bought secondhand when I was 17 that I still use to listen to the news every morning some 45 years later! There is a definite tendency for their stuff to outlive the technology it was made for :~)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 5,027Member ✭✭✭
    Just noticed this topic, so forgive the late arrival. The transparency thing would be fine, but it isn't. Transparent I mean. If it looked anything like the publicity shots it would be fine. But it doesn't.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    redchiz said:

Just noticed this topic, so forgive the late arrival. The transparency thing would be fine, but it isn't. Transparent I mean. If it looked anything like the publicity shots it would be fine. But it doesn't.

Could you (or anyone else) post a pic of the publicity shot?
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:58PM
    redchiz said:

redchiz said:

Thanks. For those that don't know, as it stands at the moment, that blue at the top of the screen has now been dragged all the way down, so it adds an extra layer of opaqueness to the picture.
    But as this platform is still in Beta, I wouldn't necessarily assume what trialists have now will be the final release version, as I've had three different EPGs in the last ten days alone, which indicates they are still exploring... 
    redchiz said:

I'm not thinking about the blue at the top of the screen, I'm thinking about the fact that this suggests that you can see a fairly clear view of what lies beneath. Which bears no relation to what you can actually see at the moment.
    redchiz said:

Yes, thats what I said. The pictures way out of date. And as previously said by another on here, at the moment, it stands between two stools... 
    redchiz said:

So that doesn't explain why the transparency feature is **** currently. And the publicity shots don't bear any relation to what is actually the case. It reminds me of the long-standing ASA argument about channel idents being included in publicity shots when they didn't actually exist in real life. Photoshop is an amazing thing.
    redchiz said:

Yes, your right and perfectly correct. But as the platform is still in Beta, one would have to wait for the public release before any reporting to the ASA be considered.
    edited 3 December 2016, 7:52PM
    redchiz said:

I don't want to seem picky, but it's not in beta. Private beta's go to testers, public beta's aren't compulsory and are reversible, as are release candidates. This is the released version, warts and all......
    redchiz said:

Not picky at all Dave. But no, it isn't. Though if it were you would be correct. The caveat being no, its not reversible. TalkTalk have chosen to release NextGen in the current Beta form as it stands to date, but this isn't and won't be the final version (if indeed ultimately there ever will be one).
    edited 3 December 2016, 8:23PM
    redchiz said:

If it's compulsory and non-reversible then it's a release! There's no possible argument about that! There isn't even a clearly defined path for bug reports.
    I wouldn't have any problems at all with this if it was a public beta, but it just isn't....
    redchiz said:

If you say so Dave.... :(
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 February 2017, 10:42PM
    redchiz said:

Visionman - can you point us to a clear public statement that YouView consider the software they have developed and, now together with TalkTalk, are rolling out to all TalkTalk users as a beta version.

Even if YouView did consider it beta (and thus not ready for general release), if TalkTalk have chosen to anoint that version and roll it out to all their customers then I would consider that they would be ignoring (or overriding) YouView's position and declaring that in their eyes this is perfectly suitable for main stream use, and thus being rolled out to all their users which then makes it their general release version (and thus not beta from TalkTalk's perspective).

From my own experience of the next gen system as it currently stands I would consider it falls a little short of what I would have wished to begin releasing to all users and thus I would be labelling it beta and keeping it for a restricted testing group until such time as some of the key shortcomings were addressed (which I would have thought would not take particularly long). At the very least, from a usability perspective I would be looking to address several key points that I have termed part of 'the bad' list (in my first impressions post),  most specifically:
    • on exiting a recording that is part of a series roll up you are only returned to the rolled up tile rather than the specific recording [see idea topic]
    • entering a series rollup puts you on the newest recording tile not the oldest, or better yet the next unwatched item [see idea topic]
    • if a recording runs to the end it just offers an option to go to live TV when it needs to offer say delete recording, return to MyTV, return to live TV [see idea topic]
    • ensure the channel hiding mechanism is in place
    Whilst I do not like the largely pointless transparency effect in the EPG it does not greatly affect my use of the EPG. Likewise I would prefer to have (the option of) the mini TV in the EPG but not having it is not something I would necessarily see as critical to holding back a roll out.

Hopefully all of these points (and perhaps some other nice to haves) will be addressed very soon, and at the latest before the roll out moves on to BT and retail boxes :)
    redchiz said:

Keith>
    "Visionman - can you point us to a clear public statement that YouView consider the software they have developed and, now together with TalkTalk, are rolling out to all TalkTalk users as a beta version.

No, Keith, I cannot.
    PM.
    edited 4 February 2017, 10:43PM
    redchiz said:

If it walks like a beta and quacks like a beta, then it's a beta.

This release does just that, no matter what anybody tries to label it.
    redchiz said:

But despite thinking this is beta software, as above (about which I agree with you), you still think it should have been unleashed on an unsuspecting world (about which I disagree with you)?

Or at least, unleashed on the TalkTalk mini-world?

As per:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

Or do we have two Visionmen here?