[Discussion] BT software update 26.41.0 for BT YouView+ Ultra HD box customers

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 3 April 2017, 10:27AM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the latest BT YouView+ Ultra HD box software in this discussion thread.

Comments

• endsbowenendsbowen Posts: 38Member
    edited 14 December 2016, 9:30PM
    Hi, Is this running the total refresh of the UI ? It doesn't explain when the boxes all gets this new refresh. 
  • n.addisonn.addison Posts: 1Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Had the.latest update this morning (20th December 2016). After we were unable to access all internet channels. Only cure was to factory reset the you view box hence lost all saved recordings. If this happens again it's back to Sky TV.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 3:42PM
    n.addison said:

Had the.latest update this morning (20th December 2016). After we were unable to access all internet channels. Only cure was to factory reset the you view box hence lost all saved recordings. If this happens again it's back to Sky TV.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. It may be a bit after the event and you may have tried it first, but are you aware that there is a recovery option which allows you to keep recordings?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 4:14PM
    n.addison said:

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:54PM
    It would be useful if the maintenance modes were easily accessible within the settings instead of them only offering a factory reset.
    edited 20 December 2016, 4:32PM
    jimb said:

It would be useful if the maintenance modes were easily accessible within the settings instead of them only offering a factory reset.

Plus 1 for this. If a dangerous Mode like Factory Reset can be present in Settings, it's hard to see why the less dangerous Modes can't be there too.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    jimb said:

One would like to imagine there is some technical hurdle that prevents them quickly providing the more flexible maintenance modes via the main UI as to do this seems a no-brainer. We have after all been asking for this for over 4 years now (item 68 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests) and of course raised it again in relation to the next gen software as a so far missed opportunity.

Let's hope we are not still asking for this in another 4 year ;-)
    edited 20 December 2016, 4:40PM
    jimb said:

"Dangerous?" The Factory Reset mode in settings doesn't bin your recordings, does it?
    jimb said:

Yes the factory reset bins everything as if you were starting with a completely new and empty box. As such it would be the last option one might want to try if just trying to nudge a misbehaving box back into good order, whereas the right maintenance mode may be sufficient and keep the recordings.
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:37PM
    jimb said:

I think redchiz was being faux-naïf here :-)
    jimb said:

Yes, I did wonder - not the sort of option I would suggest anyone tries just to confirm it behaves as expected :)
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:48PM
    jimb said:

Um, not quite. I am pretty sure I did do such a thing a year or two back when I was having issues with my own box, trying every possibility, as you do when desperate, sometimes not thinking it through. But have never lost recordings. Maybe I just did it wrong, but I can assure you I was not being disingenuous.

jimb said:

Interesting - for obvious reasons it is not an option I have tried for a very long time so cannot reconfirm it currently returns the box to an as new factory state with clean disk and no settings. However, that is what the name suggests it should do and certainly seems to be what various people say it has done when they roll up here and bemoan that they ran this option before asking for advice as to whether there might be other less destructive things to try in their situation first.

The factory reset documentation on the YouView support site also clearly indicates it will wipe everything including recordings. There is also this topic about what to do to reset a pre-owned box that suggests the factory reset as a way to make it factory fresh :)

Interestingly I notice that support page also mentions trying the maintenance modes as a less destructive option. In the absence of being able to make those modes available quickly via the YouView UI, I have previous suggested they should include some text along those lines in the factory reset UI area too so people can think twice and change approach in some cases before potentially shooting themselves in the foot when really all they needed to do was cut a broken toe nail :)
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:02PM
    jimb said:

Much as we muse though Keith we are unlikely to get to what happened here exactly without a precise response from the OP.

EDIT: I mean n.addison rather than Phil, obviously!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    In my opinion maintenance reset Keep Recordings should be the default.
    edited 27 December 2016, 10:06PM
    Visionman said:

In my opinion maintenance reset Keep Recordings should be the default.

I understand why.

But only the full-blown Factory Reset (pace redchiz, who seems to have dodged the bullet even though he aimed at himself and pulled the trigger) is guaranteed to return to working condition any YouView box with a software issue, and no hardware issues.

And in the early days, YouView no doubt naively thought that this would be the preferred solution, rather than people hanging on to their recordings if this was at all humanly possible.

In fact, right from the start YouView have underestimated how valuable people find their recordings, which is pretty odd, considering that what they are selling is a PVR.

And the elephant in the room remains the disconnect between how much we value our recordings and how little YouView seemingly values them, which NextGen, so far at least, does nothing to resolve :-(
  • marcopolomarcopolo Posts: 2Member
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:39PM
    I guess we had the update today as the wife turned on the box to be faced with a reset option (she didn't understand it). We've now lost all our recordings which, from reading above, sounds like she had an option to upgrade without losing recordings?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 December 2016, 6:35PM
    marcopolo said:

I guess we had the update today as the wife turned on the box to be faced with a reset option (she didn't understand it). We've now lost all our recordings which, from reading above, sounds like she had an option to upgrade without losing recordings?

No, as this T4000 G5 update was merely stability fix improvements. So whatever happened to your T4000 was nothing to do with an update. This one is 26.41.0.
    edited 27 December 2016, 10:14PM
    marcopolo said:

If you turn on your box to be faced with a reset, then the box has determined caí a self-test that it is not working as it should be, and is trying to rescue itself.

If your box determined that the reset it needed was a full Factory Reset, then there is probably no way you or your wife could have wrested back control to try a lesser reset; and even if you could have, it would likely have proved insufficient.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 314Member
    edited 27 December 2016, 10:28PM
    marcopolo said:

My DTR-T4000 insisted on not leaving the maintenance menu a week ago until I had selected a reset. It did not give any suggestions for which one to select.

It was happy with my first selection of a default reset (keep recordings) but I'd imagine that someone who wasn't acquainted with the options that appears out of the blue instead of a TV programme could just see the list as a bit of gobbledygook and select one at random and lose the recordings even if it wasn't necessary.
    edited 28 December 2016, 6:49AM
    marcopolo said:

Damn, there goes the marriage I was trying to save :-)
  • marcopolomarcopolo Posts: 2Member
    edited 28 December 2016, 11:46AM
    marcopolo said:

Thanks for the feedback, divorce papers submitted ;) first time the box has suddenly decided to do a full reset, and I can't let go of the fact it's stating it updated itself yesterday. I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to IT related stuff.
  • BarrowjohnBarrowjohn Posts: 4Member
    edited 1 January 2017, 1:11PM
    jimb said:

Hi folks,
    I have just upgraded my BT you view to the ultra HD box. When I try to play BBCi player, it tries to load the programme then flips back to the "players" screen . Any ideas? All software updates correct at 01/01/2017- 26.40.0
    edited 1 January 2017, 1:46PM
    jimb said:

https://community.youview.com/youview...
  • David Murray1David Murray1 Posts: 7Member
    edited 1 February 2017, 7:14PM
    marcopolo said:

I have the BT UHD box, do we have a date when BT boxes will start to get their next gen YouView updates? Last time I read something, I think it said January. Thanks.
  • howndebhowndeb Posts: 10Member
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:27AM
    Sorry to say but the update on the 'my view' is awful. Previously we could see at a glance a list of our recordings now we are faced with a mass of pictures making searching for our recording very confusing.
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:56PM
    howndeb said:

Sorry to say but the update on the 'my view' is awful. Previously we could see at a glance a list of our recordings now we are faced with a mass of pictures making searching for our recording very confusing.

Hi howndeb, I am sorry you feel that way. But if you spend more time on these forums you will see that it is just a matter of opinion.
    edited 24 March 2017, 10:21PM
    howndeb said:

Hi howndeb - you've posted here on an old topic which is about a minor update to the old gen software rather than the current significant software change which is version 27.46.x.

If you are looking for the many topics of feedback on the next gen software there are some links here
  • Caroline3Caroline3 Posts: 1Member
    edited 2 April 2017, 5:06AM
    howndeb said:

Without needing to spend any time on forums to form my own opinion, I also think new format for recordings search is awful. Can't there be an option for 'list' or pictures?
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:54AM
    howndeb said:

Spending time on forums would at least save you from the solecism of just adding your comment to any old thread, and thus running the risk of your question being ignored.

This one about the 27.41.0 release is six versions behind the current 27.47.0 BT release.

But the answer to your question is that YouView have put a great deal of thought and effort into this switch to the tiled view, and it would take quite an outcry for them even to provide the option to go 'back' to List views.

But I am sure your small contribution to this outcry will be heard, even from the dusty recesses of this 4 month old thread :-)