[Discussion] Sony's Kids Player now available on YouView

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the new Sony's Kids Player in this discussion thread.

Comments

• john6john6 Posts: 5Member
    edited 10 January 2017, 10:41AM
    What channel is it on ?? (BT 4K Ultra HD Box)
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 6:40PM
    It isn't on a channel. It's a Player- like BBC iPlayer.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    The link to find out all about it just returns to itself? Is that all the info? Is this only on NextGen software?
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 10:55AM
    stormy said:

The link to find out all about it just returns to itself? Is that all the info? Is this only on NextGen software?

Hi stormy - looks like a dead link. I've fed that back to be changed. It should link here: https://www.youview.com/2017/01/10/youview-set-first-home-sonys-kids-player/
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 10 January 2017, 10:58AM
    stormy said:

I've fixed the link now stormy, it goes to our press release which has a bit more information on the player. It is available for all YouView boxes on current and next gen software.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 12:33PM
    jonesh said:

Hi guys,

The Sony Kids player consists of 3 Freeview channels:

POP = 125
    tiny pop = 126
    KIX = 127

Catch up will now be available on these channels from the guide as well as using the player directly from the players & apps section.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    So, the first player to launch since the roll out. That was quick and pleasing to see. I've just tried it and the loading time is impressively quick. So is access to the content, too. Nice one.
    edited 10 January 2017, 11:27AM
    jonesh said:

Thanks everyone
  • mike.alexandermike.alexander Posts: 46Member
    edited 10 January 2017, 11:54AM
    stormy said:

The app works on all YouView boxes, both with the previous generation and next generation software.
    edited 10 January 2017, 12:20PM
    stormy said:

Hello Mike. Glad to see you still around. Did you have a hand in this?
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 4:46PM
    Good news - wait till my daughter finds out :)
    edited 10 January 2017, 1:04PM
    stormy said:

I did (albeit now working for a different company to when I was commenting on this forum previously).

I’d be very interested to hear everyone’s feedback on the service, particularly the player app itself.
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    I can't comment on the picture quality because I'm watching on a 4K TV. What do others think?
    The speed is amazing and certainly the quickest player available on YouView. Its certainly as quick, if not quicker, than the red button BBC iPlayer access.
    edited 10 January 2017, 1:48PM
    Agree totally, Visionman, best player on YouView, thanks for highlighting it. Our crew, 3 and 8, will love this.
    We also have, from BT, the 4K Box plus the additional 9 children's channels. Thank you BT, improving all the time. Love it
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 2:52PM
    Visionman said:

I can't comment on the picture quality because I'm watching on a 4K TV. What do others think?
    The speed is amazing and certainly the quickest player available on YouView. Its certainly as quick, if not quicker, than the red button BBC iPlayer access.

Certainly quick to get into, mediocre picture quality though, I guess the target audience won't care too much as long as the colour is turned right up!
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Looked on my Sony YouView TV and it has 125 and 126, but no 127.

How are our grandchildren going to get their KIX when they come round?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 10 January 2017, 3:22PM
    Roy1 said:

Have you checked Route 66? I know, I'll get my coat...
    edited 10 January 2017, 3:36PM
    Roy1 said:

Roy, KIX is broadcast on local TV multiplexes, so that may explain why you don’t have the channel? In any case, your grandchildren can still get their kicks KIX from within the Sony Kids player app. ;)

Actually, the app isn’t yet available on Sony Bravia TVs with YouView.
    edited 10 January 2017, 7:07PM
    Roy1 said:

Actually, the app isn’t yet available on Sony Bravia TVs with YouView.
    Bit embarrassing that, eh?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:57PM
    It's good to see a new player and on demand content integrated into the EPG both in the past and the future.
    But...

Some time ago I posted an observation regarding inconsistencies with on demand labelling of Grand Designs on  More 4.
    This was met with a deafening silence.

There's a similar problem with "The Insectibles" on POP.
    If you look at the EPG at 8pm you'll see four programmes each evening. Most are showing as available on demand but not all.
    In fact this is a series of 52 programmes but only 42 are available on demand.
    (1-24, 32-41, 45-52)
    So there's something amiss and as I said a year ago:
    Not sure if this is a problem for YouView or the broadcaster but it would be good to sort it out (there may be other instances).
    edited 10 January 2017, 9:44PM
    jimb said:

It's good to see a new player and on demand content integrated into the EPG both in the past and the future.
    But...

Some time ago I posted an observation regarding inconsistencies with on demand labelling of Grand Designs on  More 4.

If you look at the EPG at 8pm you'll see four programmes each evening. Most are showing as available on demand but not all.
    (1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Not sure if this is a problem for YouView or the broadcaster but it would be good to sort it out (there may be other instances).
    Such issues are often the result of content rights limitations. For example, some content owners impose limits on how may episodes of a show are available for catch-up at any one time. Given such limitations, there will inevitably be gaps in the episodes that are available.
    edited 10 January 2017, 9:55PM
    Roy1 said:

Bit embarrassing that, eh?
    Not really as it was always planned to roll out the service in phases. The first phase was — understandably – focussed on the largest viewer base (i.e. YouView set-top boxes).
    edited 10 January 2017, 9:49PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Since I looked at this earlier thing have changed!
    There are now 45 programmes available.
    edited 10 January 2017, 9:52PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

There can also be limitations on how long episodes are available for catch-up, so the number of episodes available will also vary depending on when the programmes were broadcast (i.e. they might have recently “expired”).
    edited 10 January 2017, 10:23PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Right now (10.15) the programme at 8.45 is showing on the EPG as not available, but if you look at the programme information it's listed as available on demand.

And now (10.17) it's showing as available on demand on the EPG as well.

So the system is filling in the EPG data for this evening's programmes (which earlier were unavailable on demand) as the evening progresses.
    But there are still gaps in the future ( tomorrow and next Monday).
    edited 10 January 2017, 10:24PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

On Demand rights issues aren't new or exclusive. And nor are they unique, either.

As an aside, Content Providers On Demand demands and rights issues are actually holding back the development of a full blown Cloud TV service in the 21st century on all platforms. Its about time they pulled their heads out of the sand.
    edited 10 January 2017, 11:02PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

All the above observations are based on a first-gen box.
    I've now found a totally different anomaly (which YouView might show a bit more interest in)...

With a next-gen box...
    If you do a search for "Insectibles" the results show as:
    On Demand (1)    On Now & Later (50)

So the on demand programmes are shown in a folder, but Now and Later shows individual programmes.
    There may be some logic to this but it's not obvious to me.
    edited 10 January 2017, 11:34PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Mike there's a glitch with ALVINNN!
    There are 8 programmes showing as available on demand in the EPG on various days, but only 2 available via the player.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 904Member ✭✭
    edited 10 January 2017, 11:58PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Oh no there isn't .

Look closely at which channels the programs are on... some shows are on two channels and the catchup is similarly split on the Kids Player
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    YouView's press release cleverly says that this is
    the first player to launch since the roll out of YouView’s new software update
    implying that the new player is a direct consequence of the update. I'm not sure that this is strictly correct - the player works on first-gen boxes. But YouView have got a lot of good publicity about the player much of it tying it in with the "revamp of its platform last autumn."

One report even refer's back to the next-gen launch:
    YouView CEO Richard Halton said at the time of the launch that “a pipeline of new content partners” would be brought on board over the next few months.
    All good news for YouView.