[Discussion] Android app update 10.1.12

SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 13 August 2017, 8:39PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the latest Android YouView App update 10.1.12 here.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Sanj

I trust you are correctly interpreting the complete silence in here as evidence of our total satisfaction with this latest Android release, rather than any indifference to it.

May the rest of the forum fall equally silent, save for a few jokes and some daily pleasantries!
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    one thing I find a little puzzling with the app is the Discover results.

For example if I select Discover drama category  the results seem to favour the +1 channels rather than the (0) channels which obviously offer the earlier showing of the programme.

another very minor point is that the channel Comedy Central HD is refered to several screens as simply Comedy HD - eg  in guide mode the individual  daily channel list  , also in programme details info the channel is  Comedy HD rather than the full title.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 February 2017, 10:55AM
    zulu17 said:

For example if I select Discover drama category  the results seem to favour the +1 channels rather than the (0) channels which obviously offer the earlier showing of the programme.

another very minor point is that the channel Comedy Central HD is refered to several screens as simply Comedy HD - eg  in guide mode the individual  daily channel list  , also in programme details info the channel is  Comedy HD rather than the full title.

Hi Zulu, 

I'll pass that on to the Mobile Team and see if there is a specific logic behind these points. I'll get back to you when I know more.
    edited 8 February 2017, 3:10PM
    zulu17 said:

On the plus side, there are 30 programmes at the top of the Discovery/Drama Android display that aren't on my iPad synced to the same YouView box, before the lists finally coincide. And after that, they agree all the way to the bottom, though the Android display then stops, while the iPad one follows on with Thursday.

I don't see any favouring of +1, except that programmes that are running now on the main channel, naturally aren't shown, but the +1s have yet to start.

Have you got any specific examples of +1 favouring I could look at, zulu17, that don't fit that mould? Giving orogramme, channel, start time of programme, time of inspection?

Being retail, I don't get Comedy Central, with or without Central attached :-(
    edited 8 February 2017, 10:03PM
    zulu17 said:

Looking about 10 minutes ago Using discover.. Selecting a date of Thursday 9 Feb and
    Drama two examples are itv3+1 20:00 murder she wrote . The Sicilian encounter and 5Usa+1 20:00 Tony and Ziva travel to Columbia.
    edited 8 February 2017, 10:15PM
    zulu17 said:

Looking more closely I believe that what i am actually experiencing is. missing entries so that the earlier primary channel broadcast is not showing.
    edited 9 February 2017, 11:39AM
    zulu17 said:

Hey Zulu,

We've checked the MSW example and what we see is: 

Discover > Drama

ITV3 - 19:00 - Murder she wrote
    ITV3+1- 20:00 - Murder she wrote

This is the correct behaviour. Are you saying you don't see the ITV3 - 19:00 entry?

If so, then one reason you may not see the entry is if your mobile is connected to your box and the box doesn't have the channel tuned or the channel is hidden. The app when paired will reflect the guide as it is on your box.

Can you let us know if that is the case.
    Hi again,

So, the channel name, Comedy HD is the short name version for the channel. This is something that can be specified in the metadata and the app seems to be prioritising the short name in this situation. 
    edited 9 February 2017, 11:40PM
    zulu17 said:

What I believe I am seeing is that when using Discover for a date in the future (eg when running at say 20:50 on Wednesday   looking at  Thursday's date) the list of programmes being returned are those that are available after or in progress at 20:50 on Thursday - it is as if the start time for the Discover list on a future date is based upon the (current) time you are using the app.

To be honest I seldom use the Discover function on the android app as I would typically use the Ipad Ios app for Discover because of the larger screen on that device.
    edited 9 February 2017, 11:45PM
    Sanj said:

Hi again,

So, the channel name, Comedy HD is the short name version for the channel. This is something that can be specified in the metadata and the app seems to be prioritising the short name in this situation. 

I don't personally have an issue with short names being used but some people might find it confusing to have two different names.
    edited 10 February 2017, 11:15AM
    Sanj said:

Hi again,

Alexa certainly does.

Our local radio station is BBC Radio Gloucestershire, but TuneIn omits the 'Radio', and unless I omit it also when asking Alexa for that statio, she denies all knowledge of it, and plays local radio from somewhere else entirely :-)

If/when Alexa gets a YouView skill, Comedy Central will likely trip her up in the same way.

Unless Amazon fix her, based on my feedback and perhaps that of others, in the mean time....
  • Chris BChris B Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 August 2017, 8:39PM
    I'm not sure if this is related to the app update but a few weeks ago the app seemed to start to show listings for channels I don't have. I think they are satellite channels as they have a circle with 3 dots symbol on them. The problem is that now the discover listing has mostly channels I don't have and it's really hard to find anything.
    Normally every weekend I sit down with the app and go to the discover->films section and browse the weeks films to set my recordings for the week. It takes a while but after 10 minutes I manage to get through it to build up a collection of things to watch. Now the listings seems to be 80% channels that I don't have and so actually finding anything that I can watch is incredibly hard. It takes me 15 minutes to do just the weekend as this is about all I can muster with this situation. Can anyone tell me why this is showing me things I can't see and how I can get it back to how it was?
    edited 13 August 2017, 8:39PM
    Chris B said:

I'm not sure if this is related to the app update but a few weeks ago the app seemed to start to show listings for channels I don't have. I think they are satellite channels as they have a circle with 3 dots symbol on them. The problem is that now the discover listing has mostly channels I don't have and it's really hard to find anything.
    Normally every weekend I sit down with the app and go to the discover->films section and browse the weeks films to set my recordings for the week. It takes a while but after 10 minutes I manage to get through it to build up a collection of things to watch. Now the listings seems to be 80% channels that I don't have and so actually finding anything that I can watch is incredibly hard. It takes me 15 minutes to do just the weekend as this is about all I can muster with this situation. Can anyone tell me why this is showing me things I can't see and how I can get it back to how it was?

What box model, what software version, and who is your ISP?

At a wild guess, you are on 28.35.0, your ISP is BT, and you came over from CurrentGen with the subscription channels Hidden.

But now you are on 28.35.0, these channels are still hidden on your box, but the app has reverted to the new regime where hidden channels are only hidden in the box EPG and nowhere else, and so it is showing them.

Or am I off beam?