youview and AEI Digisender

Michael HronsMichael Hrons Member Posts: 22
edited April 2017 in Support
Question for Roy?Did you ever get your UK Digisenders to work with a Youview DT2100 set top box?[Again looking at cancelling SKY due to them removing all Discovery and Eurosport channels..40% of my package,due to dispute with Discovery channel owners..Michael

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi

Well, it seems that Sky have settled their dispute with Discovery at the last minute, so that 40% of your package is still intact :-)

I only had a T1000 to try with my Digisenders; it did work OK from wired YouView box to a TV in the next room, with full magic eye control, eventually, after letting it 'soak' overnight, taken in isolation.

But the Digisenders sent my wifi crazy; they were made a bit before wifi became so prevalent, and make rather free with the 2.4 MHz band. So I could not have wifi and Digisenders both at once :-(

Perhaps today's models play nicer, though?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Michael HronsMichael Hrons Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2017
    Hi Roy thanks for your comment..yes Sky have indeed held on to Discovery and Eurosport,my contract comes up for renewal in April,so sticking with them for the time being.I do not get any problem with WiFi interference,from my Digisender,Tablet,Laptops,Now TV and Several Tower PC's all worked well with SKY and now Plusnet running at 2.4Ghz too.Were you able to change channels from the Digisender connected to the TV you mentioned in the other room?
    Pity that none on the Youviews 2100 boxes are wifi enabled as it would mean having to purchase Power line Adaptors x 2.BTW Plusnet are offering a Youview 2100 box for £25,is that a bargain?

Michael
    edited March 2017
    Yes, I could change channels, and indeed I could do anything the remote could do, as you use the YouView remote, pointed at the remote Digisenders, to send the magic eye signal.

You could get a nanorouter to connect the YouView box with; that works for me in Spain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-W...

I have PLAs here in the UK, though. No technical reason; I just happened to have some going spare.

I can't see where Plusnet are offering this £25 box?

I see £57 upfront and £5 a month for a minimum of 18 months.

Can you give me a link to that offer?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited April 2017
    Hi Roy..Thanks for getting back to me,as I am already a PlusNET Fibre Broadband customer with a Talk package,and pay line rental in advance.I spoke with someone at Plus Net and they offered me a Plusnet/BT Youview 2100 bx for £25[normally £50] and £7.99 pp =£32.99 one off cost. The Basic TV over the internet = £5 pm. BT Sport Package is an extra£5 pm..Contract is for 24 months. Power adaptors x 2 £40...They sent me an e mail to confirm the offer!
    Thanks for the link for the small WiFi Router [£19.99]How will that connect to my WiFi Plusnet Router?

Regards Michael
    edited February 2017

Hi Roy..Thanks for getting back to me,as I am already a PlusNET Fibre Broadband customer with a Talk package,and pay line rental in advance.I spoke with someone at Plus Net and they offered me a Plusnet/BT Youview 2100 bx for £25[normally £50] and £7.99 pp =£32.99 one off cost. The Basic TV over the internet = £5 pm. BT Sport Package is an extra£5 pm..Contract is for 24 months. Power adaptors x 2 £40...They sent me an e mail to confirm the offer!
    Thanks for the link for the small WiFi Router [£19.99]How will that connect to my WiFi Plusnet Router?

Regards Michael

By wifi. But I am sure your question goes deeper than that :-)
    The nanorouter will start off in Wifi Direct mode, and you will probably need to select this connection on your laptop or tablet, to configure it for your main router, according to the instructions TP-Link supply. Or WPS, if your router supports it, will be a deal easier.

The joker for Plusnet TV though, is if Plusnet do what BT do, and don't serve Plusnet TV over wifi from the router.

This can be got round with a second nanorouter at the router end, but by this time you will have spent the price of the PLAs on what is possibly an inferior solution - and certainly one with more setting up involved.

Given what my time is worth, I would be tempted to spring £40 for the PLAs even, perhaps, over just £20 for the nanorouter. If only so Plusnet couldn't blame any non-Plusnet item for any issues you might encounter.

And yes, given the advertised price, and that you are aware of the minimum subscription term, you have been offered a good deal on the YouView box and Plusnet TV service, I think.
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for your full explanation ROY,seems like the Power Adaptor solution is the way to go..Kind Regards  Michael..BTW since we last conversed my brother has now purchased a villa near Alboneas,about 25 miles inland from Vera in Almeria Province,which is very dry & HOT! being on the edge of the desert!
    edited February 2017

Thanks for your full explanation ROY,seems like the Power Adaptor solution is the way to go..Kind Regards  Michael..BTW since we last conversed my brother has now purchased a villa near Alboneas,about 25 miles inland from Vera in Almeria Province,which is very dry & HOT! being on the edge of the desert!

It is! Though I expect you meant Arboleas :-)
    edited February 2017

Roy sorry..Arboleas my mistake you are of course correct.michael