[Resolved] Issue with programme playback on the All 4 player

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 25 September 2017, 2:33PM in Support
Edit - 09/06/17 - This issue has since been resolved so if you experience any other issues with All4 or other players, please create a new thread and we can look into it there as a new issue. 

Hi all,

Channel 4 have identified an issue with their All 4 on demand player which is impacting playback of all programmes across a number of devices.
  • If you are using the All 4 player on your YouView box, you should be able to watch programmes but may experience a delay in playback of the programme and adverts not playing back correctly. 
  • If you are using the player on a Sony Android TV with YouView the advert may freeze or get stuck in a loop and the programme will not begin playback.
Channel 4 are working on this and looking to implement a fix as soon as they can.

As soon as we know more, we will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Ha, glad to know that adverts are being disrupted for a change!  :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,938 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I noticed All4 getting stuck in the adverts tonight when watching 'Case' on our Samsung smart TV.

The symptom was that the advert would freeze, and the countdown to the next part of the programme would halt.

Play, Pause, Fast Forward and Reverse would all decline to operate.

The workaround was to press Stop twice to exit the programme, and then press OK, whereupon the programme would resume from immediately after the affected ad break.

While remedying this, Channel 4 might also like to look at the timing of their ad breaks, which cause a pretty brutal interruption to the programme playing, with no consideration for what the programme was doing at the interruption point, and no sort of ident for the ads, just a random jump cut into the first of them, with no preamble.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    All4 would not get beyond the opening adverts on The Team when we tried (four times) to watch it on the same Samsung TV mentioned above, tonight.

So lump this in with the Sony Androids.

YouView played the whole episode perfectly on All4, straight off.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:00AM
    I think that each device has their own server (or at least piece of it) to receive its wares. So it would make sense to make YouView a priority fix, with it being the number one DTT (Freeview) platform of choice. All be that ISP backed, of course.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 21 February 2017, 8:41AM
    Visionman said:

I think that each device has their own server (or at least piece of it) to receive its wares. So it would make sense to make YouView a priority fix, with it being the number one DTT (Freeview) platform of choice. All be that ISP backed, of course.

As All4 is catchup, wouldn't they be looking for the number one Freeview catchup, rather than DTT, platform of choice?

Might well still be YouView of course.

And how are you defining 'device'? Are my YouView box and your YouView box two devices, or are you considering the YouView millions of boxes as one device?

In which case, it might be more useful to categorise things by Player version; and this is my impression of how this works, or rather, in the case of some of them, doesn't work.

The All4 Player on my YouView box looks entirely different to the one on my 2016 Samsung, and different again to the one on my Amazon Firestick.

Which last year was notorious for stopping after the first set of adverts - the Amazon reviews for this app were full of complaints of this. While other All4s were fine.

So Channel 4 have form in this area.

And my guess here is they have done something, probably generic, to what they send out, and this has clobbered different All4 Players in different ways.

And for some reason, they have no fallback position where they can go back to the previous version of their software until they can get this fixed :-(

Thank goodness YouView haven't fallen into that trap.
  • Ben HartshornBen Hartshorn Member Posts: 18
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:14AM
    Just found your post. It's now end-April and this is still an issue on our Sony Bravia TV (not the only issue, I have to say - I hate this TV!). Interestingly, it seems to get progressively worse and is cleared by a factory reset, so must be a change to the player over time. Of course, the factory reset then comes with an hour or more of reinstating personalisation of the interface (such as channel lists). Totally fed up with this and should have got our money back when it first happened.

Contacted All4 who said
    'Please be advised, All4 has not been optimised for Android TV. While the All4 service is available on various platforms and the All4 team are aiming to provide the best possible experience for viewers using the All4 service across all devices, unfortunately, Android TV is not one which we currently support.'

Now I don't know what to think!
    edited 27 April 2017, 2:20PM
    Hi Ben. What they told you is technically true, as what your actually watching is ALL4 on a YouView on an Android TV, if that makes sense.
    One of the team on here should pick this up.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,759 admin
    edited 27 April 2017, 2:23PM
    Hey there Ben, 

I'm just following this up with our Content team, I'll post an update here once I know a bit more :) 
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:53PM
    Ben

You are complaining in the right place - it is YouView who host the All4 Player on Sony Android TVs - though it is still Channel 4 who wrote it - and it is one of YouView's USPs on Sony Android TVs.

So if Channel 4 is claiming as above, YouView perhaps need to have a word in their shell-like :-)
    edited 26 July 2017, 6:56PM
    Thanks for your replies. For me, All4 is the only USP of YouView on Sony but it is largely negated by the fact that using YouView means recording live TV is disabled! The picture quality is, however, impressive.

YouView support team have come up with the following
    'Once in the settings menu go to TV section scroll right to Apps then go to System Apps. Hold the  right button to scroll all the way to YV Service Host APK, select clear cash and press ok then select clear data and press ok. 

I would then recommend performing a Power cycle on your Sony TV. This can be done by holding down the power button on your remote control for 10 seconds.'

I'll have to wait until we next experience this problem - likely tonight!
    Ben
    edited 28 April 2017, 11:08AM

Thanks for your replies. For me, All4 is the only USP of YouView on Sony but it is largely negated by the fact that using YouView means recording live TV is disabled! The picture quality is, however, impressive.

YouView support team have come up with the following
    'Once in the settings menu go to TV section scroll right to Apps then go to System Apps. Hold the  right button to scroll all the way to YV Service Host APK, select clear cash and press ok then select clear data and press ok. 

I would then recommend performing a Power cycle on your Sony TV. This can be done by holding down the power button on your remote control for 10 seconds.'

I'll have to wait until we next experience this problem - likely tonight!
    Ben

Hi there Ben,

The issue initially addressed in this thread was resolved a few days later so we apologise for not updating and solving the thread.

I've been in touch with the Content team regarding this and they'd like you to answer a few questions to help them with their investigation:
    • Is your TV one of the Sony models which has YouView Available? If so, which one and have you chosen to have YV activated on your TV?
    • Are you accessing All 4 from YouView Players page on Sony or are you accessing All 4 direct from Sony Android Home Screen?
    • Which programmes is this issue occurring with or is it all programmes?
    • Are adverts playing at all? If not, can you please let us know the symptoms such as a freeze frame or crash. 
    If you can provide the detail of the steps you took to get to the issue we can try and replicate the same thing on our end.

Cheers!
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:42AM
    Thanks.

Yes, the TV had YouView and it is activated. The TV is a Sony Bravia XD8088.

I've tried accessing All4 from both the YouView players page and the 'Home' button.

It's all programmes that fail. To start with, the first advert might play and then the content stops streaming and we get a blank screen with buffering icon. After a couple of days like this, no ads play, we go straight to the buffering icon on a black screen.

At the moment, it's working because we did a full factory reset, which seems to flush the caches out and gets everything working properly. I would expect it to stay like this for 4-6 weeks before it degrades again.

I like the idea of flushing the YV app and want to give that a go when it next fails. It's quite likely it doesn't clear itself properly on shut-down.

Best wishes.
    Ben
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:43AM
    UPDATE
    I was over-optimistic with the 4-6 weeks working - All4 failed again today! I tried the suggestion to flush the YV app, but that didn't help.

Interestingly, we then tried playing a programme we part watched yesterday while All4 was working, and it played okay until it reached the mid-way ads, when it stopped on a blank screen with the buffering icon.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Hi Ben, 

I'm sorry to hear that the issue isn't resolved. We suggest that you reach out to Channel 4 regarding this issue as they may be able to assist you further. You can find their contact details here.

Let us know how you get on  
  • lee3lee3 Member Posts: 2
    edited 12 July 2017, 9:27PM
    Hi my all4 is stuck on a loop after the recent update to android TV on my Sony bravia . Play any episode and after the first adverts the episode will start from the beginning.
    edited 15 May 2017, 8:29PM
    Try pressing and holding the power button on the remote for 8 seconds and the TV will soft reboot.
    Press the Home button then leave it for 2 minutes.Then try it again.
  • lee3lee3 Member Posts: 2
    edited 15 May 2017, 9:36PM
    Sadly that didn't work. Appreciate the advice though.
  • QuinnicusQuinnicus Member Posts: 48
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:18PM
    Hi Lee

This has been logged as an issue over on the Sony forums:
    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2330954#M19230

Cheers
    edited 16 May 2017, 7:56AM
    Lee, if you're in warranty, take it back. In my experience, things will not improve. While All4 has now come back, we have lost channels 106-120 on the YouView guide! The minor glitches come and go and are very frustrating. I doubt we've had more than a week since we bought the telly without one fault or other.
  • Allen HughesAllen Hughes Member Posts: 1
    edited 12 July 2017, 9:27PM
    lee3 said:

Hi my all4 is stuck on a loop after the recent update to android TV on my Sony bravia . Play any episode and after the first adverts the episode will start from the beginning.

I've had the same issue with my Sony Bravia, today's update has not fixed it so still waiting like you.
  • V lWV lW Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problems on Now Tv box since the changes with All 4.
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:44AM
    As posted at the top of this thread:

Edit - 09/06/17 - This issue has since been resolved so if you experience any other issues with All4 or other players, please
    create a new thread and we can look into it there as a new issue.
    This is a YouView forum, if you have a problem with your NOW TV box I suggest you go here:  https://community.nowtv.com/
  • Lynn HewittLynn Hewitt Member Posts: 1
    My channel 4 app not working on Samsung tv. Did have similar problem with ITv but fixed it! Can anyone help! Its set to UK
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:00AM
    Visionman said:

Visionman, did you miss 'Samsung' here?

Lynn, this isn't a problem with a YouView TV.

So you need to get in touch with Channel 4 and raise your query with them:-

https://support.youview.com/useful-co...

Look under Content Providers there.

A clear description of what exactly happens when you try to use All4, and on exactly which model of Samsung TV, will assist them to help you better.

Samsung support are also very good, if Channel 4 can't help at all.
  • Ian McGregorIan McGregor Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 August 2017, 10:56AM
    Gets stuck after a few seconds playback on my Google pixel phone too
    edited 17 August 2017, 10:56AM

Gets stuck after a few seconds playback on my Google pixel phone too

Hi Ian,

This particular issue is specific to YouView rather than any other devices, so we'd suggest you contact Channel 4 through [email protected] to inform them that you are experiencing this issue. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • claire egmoreclaire egmore Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 August 2017, 10:24AM
    I'm experiencing the same problem where it restarts from the beginning after adverts
    edited 24 August 2017, 2:08PM
    Claire

This acknowledged problem is in the hands of Channel 4 to fix for a future release of the YouView software on these Sony TVs.

In the meantime, you might like to try casting All4 from an Apple or Android tablet or phone to the virtual Chromecast embedded in your Sony Android TV.