[Discussion] Sony TV Android Marshmallow update

SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 1 July 2017, 11:18PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Feel free to discuss the latest operating system update to Android Marshmallow for the 2015 Sony TV range.

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,293Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    TV's
     Making it's way to T2000 boxes
    Don't worry you're YouView service will still work as before
    Sorry if you think I'm nitpicking but that's pretty unprofessional.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,016Member ✭✭
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:21PM
    al said:

TV's
    Sorry if you think I'm nitpicking but that's pretty unprofessional.Wow they ninja changed that. It no longer says that.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2017, 8:12AM
    al said:

TV's
    Sorry if you think I'm nitpicking but that's pretty unprofessional.I think Al is quoting 3 separate lines across two articles. Looks like I've made a few grammatical errors.

Thanks for pointing them out Al, I've amended them. I hold my hands firmly up. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Sanj, I followed your link, and thence to Sony's Welcome Guide:-

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en...

Which looks like it could use a little work, judging by what my iPad makes of it:-

Is this optimised for TVs only?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2017, 6:15PM
    Roy1 said:

Sanj, I followed your link, and thence to Sony's Welcome Guide:-

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en...

Which looks like it could use a little work, judging by what my iPad makes of it:-

Is this optimised for TVs only?

Yeah that definitely looks a bit skewed. Let me feed that back to Sony.
  • Tim BarrettTim Barrett Posts: 2Member
    YouView guide no longer works on my 2015 Sony tv (since just a couple of days ago). I can search and find programmes, also invoke individual players like BBC iplayer; but scrolling back through online guide now shows 'no information', and programmes earlier today are listed but can't be replayed (at least not through the guide). Internet connection is ok as evidenced by BBC iplayer, also live tv via antenna fine
    edited 2 March 2017, 7:43PM

YouView guide no longer works on my 2015 Sony tv (since just a couple of days ago). I can search and find programmes, also invoke individual players like BBC iplayer; but scrolling back through online guide now shows 'no information', and programmes earlier today are listed but can't be replayed (at least not through the guide). Internet connection is ok as evidenced by BBC iplayer, also live tv via antenna fine

Press the On/Standby button on the remote for just over five seconds until the TV soft reboots, and try again.

If this does not work, Factory Reset the TV (a frequent and effective, if regrettable , option) and see if that is effective.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 129Member
    The only improvement is the volume control and TVs recognition of what you have pressed on the remote control.

Don't really use help. Does say a lot if the main improvement is the help section getting an update!!!

Wish something exciting had come to us.
    edited 3 March 2017, 8:08AM
    DJHB1980 said:

The only improvement is the volume control and TVs recognition of what you have pressed on the remote control.

Don't really use help. Does say a lot if the main improvement is the help section getting an update!!!

Wrong thread?
  • Tim BarrettTim Barrett Posts: 2Member
    edited 3 March 2017, 9:53AM

Thanks for this advice.  The soft reset approach initially was ineffective, made no difference.  Then I did Factory Data Reset, and initially it made the problem even worse!  i.e., although YouView was enabled, pressing the Guide button brought up nothing at all.  I tried disabling and then again enabling YouView, still nothing.
    Finally I performed the soft reset again, and the problem now is resolved - thanks again!
    edited 3 March 2017, 12:29PM
    DJHB1980 said:

No. I have had no problems with my TV
    as a result of the update,... touch wood.

It's virtually the same.

I have said in other threads the video app could have been massively improved with a view tweaks.

YouView is the same. No better no worse.
    edited 3 March 2017, 10:29PM
    DJHB1980 said:

Which model of Sony Android TV with YouView do you have, DJHB1980?
  • QuinnicusQuinnicus Posts: 48Member
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:18PM
    Hello All

At this moment in time, Sony has temporarily put the roll-out of Marshmallow on hold.  No further TVs will be updated automatically at this moment, as well as the USB dowloaded of the firmware has been 'pulled' from the Support site.  It is currently not known when the Marshmallow roll-out will re-start.

See:
    https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/Android-Marshmallow-on-hold

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 1:48AM
    Whoa there big Q! There are few of us on here with Marshmallow, and not one of us has reported any issues. So whats been reported elsewhere?
  • QuinnicusQuinnicus Posts: 48Member
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:18PM
    Hi there VM

There are multiple issues, some more serious than others (pasting from the bugs and issues list):
    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/td-p/2040020
    1. Amber/Green Lights Blinking after Marshmallow Update - See HERE
    2. Double Overlay of top Info Banners - see HERE
    3. Delay in changing volume using TV remote to external audio system via HDMI-ARC - see HERE
    4. Video App - Aspect Ratio 2:35:1 displaying incorrectly (stretched) - see HERE
    5. Amazon Video - Lip Sync Issues - see HERE
    6. Favorites List in EPG - Closing when changing to external input or app - see HERE
    7. Amazon Video - Juddering Issues - see HERE
    8. Cannot grant 'write' permissions on USB Drives - see HERE
    9. USB Drive used for internal storage keeps disappearing - see HERE
    This is from Sony's article (link posted in previous post):
    • After performing this update (on 2016 models*), you will need to re-pair your Voice command remote control to use the Voice search function!
    • Facing a reboot issue after the update? See our troubleshooting article
    • KDL-43W80xC, KDL-43W75xC only: Confronted with a Green/Amber blinking LED on start-up after the update? Contact us
    I am also on Marshmallow - Updated via USB and then a factory reset - My TV is running OK.
    edited 4 March 2017, 11:34PM
    DJHB1980 said:

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-43W809C

It has been updated to new Android Marshmallow software and runs better with no notable errors or deficiencies.

My issue is what good did it do other than this.

The TV remote works better and the volume is cooler looking. The apps are much the same.

YouView is exactly the same as far as I can see.
    If YouView on this TV was in anyway superior to FreeView I'd consider using it.
    Luckily I have Sky so its deficiencies are massive in comparison.