[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• Tim GrundeyTim Grundey Member Posts: 18
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:06PM

I emailed YV viewer support & this is their response as written.

I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with new update. I can certainly understand how frustrating it is especially since you prefer what it looked like before.

The new software was trialled on a number of YouView users including us here at the YouView technical support team, before it was released. The trialists not only helped weed out any problems with the update but delivered feedback for improvements they deemed necessary.

We have had a lot of feedback, most of which is positive, some of which is negative. However we do value your feedback and I’ll be happy to pass it on tot he relative team for you.

As this update is not just physically or visually different, and it is actually a lot more to do with how YouView works on a whole, there is no way to permanently undo it. YouView as a service is changing, meaning that boxes all across the country will work faster and more efficiently and with less problems including:

The new UI (User Interface) is more intuitive and easy to use

The UI allows the user to see content before selecting the show or series

Less clicking and more watching

Great content discovery with a visual, simple, seamless and non-intrusive user experience across the system

A faster playback experience on Live, IP channels and On Demand

Less clicking and more watching with a new visual Main Menu from which viewers can launch all of our services

Quicker access to viewers favourite Players and Apps with more now visible on the UI

A full screen, faster Guide allowing viewers to watch, record or catch up on the content they love

A new visual Mini-Guide, accessible from the playback bar, allowing viewers to catch up with what was on and see what’s on now, on next and in the future

A personal TV library of recordings with the new MyTV, formally MyView, where viewers can see more recordings This is all in addition to the great features YouView already has including trick play functionality, 7 day scroll back, Record and Reminders, Search and Accessibility Features.

I understand that it does look different, and that all changes require a little bit of getting used to, but hopefully you will get the hang of it and the visuals are not not too hard to look past. I hope that this is not too upsetting for you.

I hope this information has helped you today. However if you do have any more queries you can either reply to this email or please don't hesitate to give me a call on 0333 313 2278. Lines are open Monday – Saturday, 10am - 8pm, and Sundays 10am - 5pm. If you ask for me personally I will be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards,
    Kieran
    The YouView Support Team.

Apologies for the double submission above the system was not responding as I expected. The EPG is now showing scheduled recordings.  My response follows

Thanks for your reply. I had not found that P+ & P- would page through recordings. This helps a little but I still contend list view is superior so give us the option.
     Pressing Y takes me to a screen with Guide highlighted & first on the list with MyTV third. More logical in my opinion for MyTV to be first. Same in previous UI did not make sense.
    I find scheduled recordings are now showing in the EPG but I still cannot delete next recording of a series only all.
    List view is my number one priority.
  • john murphyjohn murphy Member Posts: 14
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:44PM

I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with new update. I can certainly understand how frustrating it is especially since you prefer what it looked like before.

The new software was trialled on a number of YouView users including us here at the YouView technical support team, before it was released. The trialists not only helped weed out any problems with the update but delivered feedback for improvements they deemed necessary.

We have had a lot of feedback, most of which is positive, some of which is negative. However we do value your feedback and I’ll be happy to pass it on tot he relative team for you.

As this update is not just physically or visually different, and it is actually a lot more to do with how YouView works on a whole, there is no way to permanently undo it. YouView as a service is changing, meaning that boxes all across the country will work faster and more efficiently and with less problems including:

Great content discovery with a visual, simple, seamless and non-intrusive user experience across the system

Less clicking and more watching with a new visual Main Menu from which viewers can launch all of our services

Quicker access to viewers favourite Players and Apps with more now visible on the UI

A full screen, faster Guide allowing viewers to watch, record or catch up on the content they love

A new visual Mini-Guide, accessible from the playback bar, allowing viewers to catch up with what was on and see what’s on now, on next and in the future

A personal TV library of recordings with the new MyTV, formally MyView, where viewers can see more recordings This is all in addition to the great features YouView already has including trick play functionality, 7 day scroll back, Record and Reminders, Search and Accessibility Features.

I understand that it does look different, and that all changes require a little bit of getting used to, but hopefully you will get the hang of it and the visuals are not not too hard to look past. I hope that this is not too upsetting for you.

I hope this information has helped you today. However if you do have any more queries you can either reply to this email or please don't hesitate to give me a call on 0333 313 2278. Lines are open Monday – Saturday, 10am - 8pm, and Sundays 10am - 5pm. If you ask for me personally I will be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

One of the biggest issues for me, is that when I've finished watching a show and want to delete it, pressing stop or back does not take me to the list of episodes, but back to the list of programs. I then have to go into the program, then press multiple times to identify the episode I've just watched. This is mad !
    Pressing stop should take me back to the episode list with the one I've just watched selected, like it used to do !
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:44PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

Totally agree @john murphy, that and the reverse order in a series, who on earth is going to watch the most recent episode first?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:57PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

Tim

CurrentGen offers surround sound, both on HDMI and optical out.

This is not, therefore, an advantage that NextGen has brought about.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:13PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

".....and we're also going to send you a free rainbow unicorn for every box you own....."
    What a load of bull...........
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

I was impressed by "Great content discovery..."
    You would think they might have had the sense to drop that from the script.
  • SuepsSueps Member Posts: 7
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:37PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

"The new UI (User Interface) is more intuitive and easy to use"

On what planet?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 6:31PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

To anser "who on earth is going to watch the most recent episode first?":

I know someone who records a daily news programme and will generally watch the most recent unless a longer running event that they find interesting comes up.

Someone else records a soap and only goes back to older unwatched epsiodes after watching the latest if something has come up that interests her.

Or in my case I sometimes keep a few of the older episodes of series so that I can go back if something which I paid little attantion to with the TV on in the background now appears to be relevant.

edited 20 March 2017, 6:37PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

Wow, what an interesting concept, recording news programmes as a series, that really never occurred to me. At what point does it stop being "news?" Do you want to see that Donald Trump has been elected before the exit polls say he can't be? What a spoiler. ;)
  • ben2ben2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:16PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

I am in no way suggesting I am in the majority here, it certainly is not the case but a possible way to watch a series out of order is the series that are standalone episodes that have no particular order anyway. I have many columbo 'episodes' and tend to keep the older good ones and delete others as I watch them. In this one specific instance it is the newly recorded ones that interest me most when I first come to the screen. If there is no chronological element to the series then it doesn matter and having it reversed may actually make a small amount of sense.   I dont really care either way, there should be a way to sort it either way. This smart tv system is getting dumber and dumber.
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:30PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

Fair point. But Columbo for example is not really a series, rather a collection of episodes as you say, especially from stuff that is many years old and broadcast repeatedly  in no particular order. This also applies to other non-drama programmes like food channels say. I think the issue here relates to genuine serials e.g. soaps which are generally broadcast and recorded in sequence.
  • Mike GrayMike Gray Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:46PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

I'm sorry Kieran, but the new playback menu for recordings is a dog's dinner. You can make all the claims you like about things being quicker and simpler (which generally they are not) but I suspect that the majority of users want the most used features to be intuitive. The bells and whistles will appeal to a minority. I'd like to know how you chose your pilot panel - were they geeks or real users?
  • NickHNickH Member Posts: 8
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    I thought I'd try and explain why the use of thumbnail images in the new UI is wrong. Here goes...

The use of thumbnails has it roots in cover art. Despite being told not to, people do judge books by their cover. In the pre-digital age music albums were recognised by the cover/box of the vinyl/CD. Cinematic films are advertised on billboards by an image that attempts to convey the themes of the film. Cover art is a highly evolved medium and very much a part of life.

When Apple introduced album cover art to iTunes and the iPod it was pretty cool. Being able to flick through a carousel of images was a neat way to quickly find the album you are looking for. However, there is an underlying assumption that the user will be able to effortlessly recognise the album they're seeking simply from a brief glimpse of an image. Certainly during the period when people were transitioning from owning music on a physical media to digital, people did recognise their favourite albums based purely on the image that was on the front of the CD case.

The cool cover art approach to browsing your music collection was undoubtedly a great addition, but Apple always retained the option to browse the collection via sorted lists - which could be sorted by many different metadata fields. The aim was to provide the quickest and easiest way to access the collection.

A critical factor in the success of Apple's album art implementation was responsiveness. The concept worked well because the speed with which the carousel turned was variable. The user could choose to flick through slowly, or they could rapidly move to a much later point. Without the responsiveness the attraction of using the interface is greatly diminished, and would easily become frustrating.

Browsing a collection by thumbnail images can be extended from music albums to films because the film's title and its artwork are designed to work together. People associate their favourite films with the images that are used to promote them. In addition, people can easily judge the type of film based purely on the image. If they're looking for an action film they know to skip past the one with the image of a cute kitten, or if they don't like horror then the image filled with bloody gore probably isn't for them.

The use of thumbnails has been extended to previewing written documents, but in this case the usage is very much for preview and navigation within the document. Only in the case when the first page of the document contains the title in large text can a thumbnail be used to represent it – and in that case the thumbnail is simply a pictorial rendering of the text.

So, in a world when thumbnails are cool and trendy, YouView thought it wise to revamp the MyView Recordings and Schedule screen. Unfortunately they failed to appreciate a fundamental point. The thumbnails are only beneficial if the user, upon first seeing a thumbnail, can effortlessly determine exactly which TV programme it represents. This is not the case. When I record a programme I do not know what thumbnail will be associated with it, therefore when I view the recordings screen the presence of a thumbnail does not allow me to quickly find the programme. I know the title of the programme, and I might know when it was recorded; both pieces of information are much easier to find when presented in a sorted list.

Proof that the use of thumbnails has been applied without sufficient thought is the fact that the first thumbnail on each page is 4 times the size of the others. Why make the first one larger? It does not have any special status, it is only larger because due to the number of recordings (or scheduled items) it happens to be the first one on a given page. No doubt the layout looked great as a screenshot in a Powerpoint presentation, but in terms of enhancing the usability it is utterly worthless.

We are not being Luddites by disliking the new Recordings and Schedule screens. We are arguing that in this context the thumbnails are not beneficial, and actually make navigating the screens more difficult than they previously were. YouView absolutely need to add an option to show the recordings and schedule as a list. From an engineering perspective, I'd be very surprised if presenting the data as list is not easier than presenting it as thumbnails. We are not asking for something that is difficult. YouView need to acknowledge that they've made a fundamental mistake, and rectify it as soon as possible.
  • Christopher GatorChristopher Gator Member Posts: 6
    edited 21 March 2017, 11:20AM
    NickH said:

I thought I'd try and explain why the use of thumbnail images in the new UI is wrong. Here goes...

The use of thumbnails has it roots in cover art. Despite being told not to, people do judge books by their cover. In the pre-digital age music albums were recognised by the cover/box of the vinyl/CD. Cinematic films are advertised on billboards by an image that attempts to convey the themes of the film. Cover art is a highly evolved medium and very much a part of life.

When Apple introduced album cover art to iTunes and the iPod it was pretty cool. Being able to flick through a carousel of images was a neat way to quickly find the album you are looking for. However, there is an underlying assumption that the user will be able to effortlessly recognise the album they're seeking simply from a brief glimpse of an image. Certainly during the period when people were transitioning from owning music on a physical media to digital, people did recognise their favourite albums based purely on the image that was on the front of the CD case.

The cool cover art approach to browsing your music collection was undoubtedly a great addition, but Apple always retained the option to browse the collection via sorted lists - which could be sorted by many different metadata fields. The aim was to provide the quickest and easiest way to access the collection.

A critical factor in the success of Apple's album art implementation was responsiveness. The concept worked well because the speed with which the carousel turned was variable. The user could choose to flick through slowly, or they could rapidly move to a much later point. Without the responsiveness the attraction of using the interface is greatly diminished, and would easily become frustrating.

Browsing a collection by thumbnail images can be extended from music albums to films because the film's title and its artwork are designed to work together. People associate their favourite films with the images that are used to promote them. In addition, people can easily judge the type of film based purely on the image. If they're looking for an action film they know to skip past the one with the image of a cute kitten, or if they don't like horror then the image filled with bloody gore probably isn't for them.

The use of thumbnails has been extended to previewing written documents, but in this case the usage is very much for preview and navigation within the document. Only in the case when the first page of the document contains the title in large text can a thumbnail be used to represent it – and in that case the thumbnail is simply a pictorial rendering of the text.

So, in a world when thumbnails are cool and trendy, YouView thought it wise to revamp the MyView Recordings and Schedule screen. Unfortunately they failed to appreciate a fundamental point. The thumbnails are only beneficial if the user, upon first seeing a thumbnail, can effortlessly determine exactly which TV programme it represents. This is not the case. When I record a programme I do not know what thumbnail will be associated with it, therefore when I view the recordings screen the presence of a thumbnail does not allow me to quickly find the programme. I know the title of the programme, and I might know when it was recorded; both pieces of information are much easier to find when presented in a sorted list.

Proof that the use of thumbnails has been applied without sufficient thought is the fact that the first thumbnail on each page is 4 times the size of the others. Why make the first one larger? It does not have any special status, it is only larger because due to the number of recordings (or scheduled items) it happens to be the first one on a given page. No doubt the layout looked great as a screenshot in a Powerpoint presentation, but in terms of enhancing the usability it is utterly worthless.

We are not being Luddites by disliking the new Recordings and Schedule screens. We are arguing that in this context the thumbnails are not beneficial, and actually make navigating the screens more difficult than they previously were. YouView absolutely need to add an option to show the recordings and schedule as a list. From an engineering perspective, I'd be very surprised if presenting the data as list is not easier than presenting it as thumbnails. We are not asking for something that is difficult. YouView need to acknowledge that they've made a fundamental mistake, and rectify it as soon as possible.

The bigger tile is the most recent recording on a page mate
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 8:11PM
    NickH said:

Indeed it may be the first tile on the page but does it serve a significant purpose by being quadruple size? Some would say it is a visual cue to start at the top left but in the absence of other such cues I would say one naturally starts at the top left and reads it like a book, line by line, anyway.

If one were to stick with tiles (without any option of a list), and temporarily putting aside the fact programme titles are often truncated on the tile size, I would suggest it would be better to have all tiles of equal size. One then has a more natural row by row scan, and gets the small benefit of 3 more tiles too :)
  • Torqueback2Torqueback2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 11 April 2017, 6:23PM
    NickH said:

An absolutely spot-on (and particlualry erudite)appraisal.

We bought music albums with recognisable covers, but even they didn't identify the specific tracks they contained. TV shows don't have recognisable covers - you could probably get away with 'The Avengers' or 'The Saint' vignettes from their title sequences but even then you wouldn't know which episode it referrred to. Now, on YouView, a production still from Broadchurch might feature the characters but a) it's very small, b) David Tennant and Olivia Coleman appear in lots of other shows and c) it's lost in a clutter of the ready-to-swirl patchwork of other arbitrary programme images. Words alone are so much clearer and immediately accessible.

A list, please...
  • caroline2caroline2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:51PM
    NickH said:

Totally agree with you Nick H, the use of thumbnails is inappropriate for this format, ie a tv operated by a remote control. Were this an app for android/iPhone then I could see the point as navigationally it would make more sense, but it's much easier and more intuitive to look and scroll down a list of (in my case) many folders for each program series. It's very frustrating that youview are completely blanking their customers about their concerns - they never respond to people's complaints on Facebook or anything and those who have received email replies appear to be being told to just get used to it! I wasn't offered an opt-out of the install and didn't even know it was in the pipeline. Had I known I would've disconnected the box from the internet to prevent the install from happenening.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 11:54AM
    NickH said:

I like the big tile Keith it's obviously trying to draw your attention to it when you goto my TV. If we use the broad church example I would know its broad church from looking at the image and also the first part of text even if it is cut off but I would also remember seeing broad church advertising for the past couple of weeks and if I still wasn't sure I could press the information button then this would tell me its been recorded on ITV and its full title and then with all that information no one would mistake it for doctor WHO now would they. Another example a James bond film on ITV 4 been the bond film fan I am and fact is I have seen everyone ever made I would know that picture of brosnen and Sean bean a mile off and know its GoldenEye. Speaking of golden eye best bond song ever. It has enough information for what I record but if your having issues with it I can appreciate that but I decided to offer a perspective of a person who isn't.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:04PM
    NickH said:

I don't disagree that the big tile is easier to see, to me though it is just one of 12 tiles on the page so is disproportionately favouring what happens to fall in that spot :)

Something I did suggest in some feedback to YouView was that if a large tile is seen as more usable then perhaps as you move over the tiles in the page the one you are on should inflate by 50% (even though it would then overlap the surrounding tiles a bit). That might appeal to those that like a dynamic feel and more image rich page although I expect it could horrify those that would like a list view, although if a list view were an option then there is capacity to meet many more users needs whilst not seeing the presentation you least favour :)

As it stands the biggest issue I have with the tiles remains the journeys in and out of series and to deleting items. YouView have acknowledged this is short of what they should deliver and I would very much expect it to be something they work hard on to improve for one of the first feature updates. Quite when that may be only time will tell, but I would not expect it until the roll out is complete (which I would speculate would be by the end of June given the schedule BT have set and the fact they are bringing up the rear for a change), and perhaps not even for several months after that. Perhaps by Christmas time we will have a more polished next gen system and some improvements and options that may caterer better for more people too :)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 1:02PM
    NickH said:

I'm not sure on that one Keith my own view is it should be either there or not there. At the minute I in my opinion think there would be more complaints if its not there because this tile has more characters in the tiles it gives users at least 1 tile on every page with the full title on. I certainly wouldn't be against some options in the settings that implemented your idea. Then the end user could decide if they want it or not. Same with the large tile I think if some users prefair more tiles on each page a option in the settings to switch off and on the large tile is the way to go. Personally while I think its good to have the large tile in recordings I don't see the need for it on the scheduled screen. I have had next gen a few days now and that large tile in scheduled and some part's of your recording journey would be top of my wish list. We need one of the buttons on the remote to let you skip to the begginning or end of your recordings so if you press it the ui jumps to oldest or youngest recording. When a program is finished it needs to go back to said recording you just watched and lastly I would like to see the tiles reversed so in a series the oldest episodes are first and youngest last in the list. While I'm a hundred percent over the moon I have it and think its way better then youview classic and think next gen is really fantastic these few minor changes could make it one of the best UIs on the market today. I do find it a lot easier to use then legacy youview these changes would turn it from fantastic to phenomenal.
  • NickHNickH Member Posts: 8
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:52PM
    NickH said:

My original point about the large tile is that its contents change as recordings are deleted. If I delete a recording off page 1 then the contents of the large tile on all the other pages change. Therefore the contents of the large tile has no special significance, other than being the first entry on the page.

The idea about the currently selected tile inflating in size would be an improvement, but only if the cursor was really responsive. I'm guessing most YouView boxes simply won't have the processing power to handle such visual trickery without noticable lag.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 4:39PM
    NickH said:

Interesting, there is at this time there is no longer a 'Write a reply' option on this thread, only 'Write a comment'.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 21 March 2017, 4:40PM
    NickH said:

My Comment above seems to have fixed it. :)
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:01AM
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-humax-software-update-27-46-0?topic-reply-l...

An impressive post, NickH, in which you appear to have either an academic or professional background. Most impressive indeed.
    However, I feel the need to point out the tiles are staying, and the more graphically rich presentation prevalent on NextGen is the way YouView have decided to go, and they are not going back.
    The tiles aren't my issue though, its the series folder access that is NextGens most major concern and needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.
    Unfortunately that won't be until the rollout has been completed, which should be sometime around the end of June, with BT and Plusnet being the tail enders.
  • SuepsSueps Member Posts: 7
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:54PM
    Visionman said:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-humax-software-update-27-46-0?topic-reply-l...

An impressive post, NickH, in which you appear to have either an academic or professional background. Most impressive indeed.
    However, I feel the need to point out the tiles are staying, and the more graphically rich presentation prevalent on NextGen is the way YouView have decided to go, and they are not going back.
    The tiles aren't my issue though, its the series folder access that is NextGens most major concern and needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.
    Unfortunately that won't be until the rollout has been completed, which should be sometime around the end of June, with BT and Plusnet being the tail enders.

Exactly right Nick. VM, the series folder problems and the tiles are a problem for me. The first one on each page being larger is totally pointless.

The tiles may be staying, it just means that my YV box will not be staying for much longer!
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:23AM
    Visionman said:

Which is a choice many will have to make, sadly. As all major platforms have decided to go this way.
    edited 21 March 2017, 8:41PM

Kind Regards,
    Kieran

Bonio eaters to a man - or should that be to a canine?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 21 March 2017, 8:48PM
    NickH said:

Nope :-)
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 22 April 2017, 5:42AM

I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....

Almost a week now suffering this monstrosity of a new UI. I have to chuckle when reading the multiple posts by about 4 individuals who are trying to defend the update. The general line is that only those unhappy will log posts complaining about the update and as this number is a fraction of the user population, the rest must love it...? Now I'm not a fan of social media and don't use Twatter or Fecknook but I've just dipped into Twatter to look at the official YouView page. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Not pretty reading....
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 March 2017, 10:48AM

I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....

You really don't use twitter much if you think 20 or so complaints in a month about a brand new interface change is a lot ;-)

Try looking here :-

https://forums.digitalspy.com/categories/youview

you will find a lot of people liking the update and people desperate for the update...

last 3 quotes from the BT update thread :-

'My BT 4K box updated today (17/3/2017). No problems so far.' 

'My 4k box updated this morning to so far so good I'm liking new Ui'                         .

'Impatient for the update !'

or this thread :-

'Got the Youview Update on my Humax branded retail box DTR T1000 I quite like the My BT mimi list of recordings which is easy to use and looks good. So far so good... My main BT branded box DTR T2100 Still not updated.'

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2209303/humax-bt-box-updated