[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• SueSSueS Member Posts: 3
    edited 4 March 2017, 4:34PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Purely from a marketing point of view, I'd expect a message from BTtv telling me of benefits I'm missing. I'm betting it'll come at some point
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March 2017, 9:20PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Why? Have you given them your personal details to be able to send such?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Talking about order and ordering, if I don't want to lose the TV screen, I like to use the mini guide in this format -

The new-look BT TV mini guide

Though in this format, when channel searching, up is down and down is up. Or you can just punch in the channel number and the mini guide will remain in the same format as above. Below is the standard format.

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,037 ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:58PM
    Visionman said:

Talking about order and ordering, if I don't want to lose the TV screen, I like to use the mini guide in this format -

Though in this format, when channel searching, up is down and down is up. Or you can just punch in the channel number and the mini guide will remain in the same format as above. Below is the standard format.

An observation here is no YOUVIEW or TALKTALK OR BT TV logo at the top of the upper mini-guide screenshot you have posted although the clock is displayed
  • Jane TJane T Member Posts: 9
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:50PM
    I really don't like this update - I'm sure there are good bits, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I watch very little real time tv, and record a lot to watch later, so I've got a lot of recordings, and some long running series records. I find the initial interface for the recordings very busy and confusing. The titles are truncated, and I find the images very distracting - I much prefer the old list view. I found that much easier to navigate. Yesterday I wanted to start watching a series that had been recording for some time (50 recordings), and I wanted to watch the first one first.... I could find no easy way of getting to it other than pressing the go left button 50 times. Then after watching it, I pressed delete to get rid of that recording, and a box popped up saying it was going to delete the whole series! So I had to go back in, press the go left button 50 more times to get back to my watched recording and then delete it. I don't like the way a recording starts playing if I select it - I was just trying to find more information, and it starts playing. (I have since found that I need to press the 'i' button.) I don't like the amount of space the black box takes up at the bottom of the screen when I start playing a recording, nor how long it remains there. I don't remember the old playback bar being as big or intrusive. I am nervous of deleting a recording, as I'm not sure what I'm deleting - the highlighted program on the new interface is not that obvious, and the confirmation box doesn't tell me. I've looked through the menus, but it seems that I'm stuck with the pictorial interface - I'm sure some folks will prefer it, but I really don't . Please can we have an option to get the list view back!
    edited 5 March 2017, 7:29PM
    Jane T said:

I really don't like this update - I'm sure there are good bits, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I watch very little real time tv, and record a lot to watch later, so I've got a lot of recordings, and some long running series records. I find the initial interface for the recordings very busy and confusing. The titles are truncated, and I find the images very distracting - I much prefer the old list view. I found that much easier to navigate. Yesterday I wanted to start watching a series that had been recording for some time (50 recordings), and I wanted to watch the first one first.... I could find no easy way of getting to it other than pressing the go left button 50 times. Then after watching it, I pressed delete to get rid of that recording, and a box popped up saying it was going to delete the whole series! So I had to go back in, press the go left button 50 more times to get back to my watched recording and then delete it. I don't like the way a recording starts playing if I select it - I was just trying to find more information, and it starts playing. (I have since found that I need to press the 'i' button.) I don't like the amount of space the black box takes up at the bottom of the screen when I start playing a recording, nor how long it remains there. I don't remember the old playback bar being as big or intrusive. I am nervous of deleting a recording, as I'm not sure what I'm deleting - the highlighted program on the new interface is not that obvious, and the confirmation box doesn't tell me. I've looked through the menus, but it seems that I'm stuck with the pictorial interface - I'm sure some folks will prefer it, but I really don't . Please can we have an option to get the list view back!

What a calm and reasonable critique of YouView 2.0.
    And for the record, Jane, I agree with every word of it. 
    Jane T said:

Well Keith did post this 3 months ago

https://community.youview.com/youview...
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭
    Jane T said:

Yes good points Jane T. Although I've got used to it now, I had the same initial concerns about it being too busy. The truncated text gets easier to deal with, but I'd still prefer it if it scrolled or something to reveal the whole text.
    The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future. I have a long running series record with 216 episodes, continuously scrolling from one end to the other takes over a minute.
    edited 5 March 2017, 4:55PM
    Jane T said:

Joe how do you scroll do you have do continuous individual clicks as Jane indicated in her post or are you able to simply hold the remote button as it continuously scrolls across
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 4:57PM
    Visionman said:

Yes that's correct.
    But they also zap you with the isp logo at the top of the EPG.
    (No sign of the YouView one though.)
    edited 5 March 2017, 7:30PM
    Jane T said:

Hold and scroll. Repeated clicks would finish me
    edited 5 March 2017, 5:41PM
    Jane T said:

LOL. Me too.
    edited 5 March 2017, 5:07PM
    Jane T said:

Joe>
    "The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."
    Are they?
    edited 5 March 2017, 5:19PM
    Jane T said:

Well talk talk have spoken publicly about introducing extra features to series folders
    edited 5 March 2017, 5:54PM
    Jane T said:

Really, Joe? Where?
    Jane T said:

I definitely read a few official statements around the time next gen was first released to talk talk - searching around I found this:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-the-n...

"At launch a rebranded MyTV section – previously MyView – will house the user’s recordings but will be enhanced in future updates to include features such as ‘continue watching’ shortcuts to any partially watched recordings in your library..."
    edited 5 March 2017, 7:31PM
    Jane T said:

No idea of timescale though - so apologies if I indicated such. I've no idea when any extra features are due
    edited 5 March 2017, 7:45PM
    Jane T said:

Thanks for that, but the above is referring to the return of the time-jump progress bar feature. Which co-incidentally, is my personal most used feature on YouView, due to the fact I record everything.
    edited 5 March 2017, 7:57PM
    Jane T said:

BTW, the journo had it slightly wrong in the way he put it -
    "The user’s recordings will be enhanced in future updates to include features such as ‘continue watching’ shortcuts."
    As one already can.
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:00PM
    Jane T said:

I read that very differently. I thought it indicated the introduction of a Netflix like continue watching feature , whereby it remembers the last watched episode, so you can pick up where you left off in series folder.
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:09PM
    Jane T said:

Ah, I see, but the above article was badly worded. I'll post it again for emphasise -
    "Will be enhanced in future updates to include features such as ‘continue watching’ shortcuts to any partially watched recordings."
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:19PM
    Jane T said:

That could still be interpreted as an equivalent of a Netflix continue watching feature. What do you mean by "time jump"?
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:32PM
    Jane T said:

Whereby one can access a recording (whether watched or not) and jump to any point in it, at any time.
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:38PM
    Joe, going back to your comment here -
    "The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."
    Are you referring to this TT forum comment from an OCE? -

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."
    edited 10 March 2017, 3:03PM
    Jane T said:

Ah I see. Typing in a time on the numerical keypad to jump to a point in a recording as was possible in old gen.
    I personally can't interpret that from the article. I don't think that could be equated with a "continue watching" feature? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it more likely implies an easy option of picking up where you last left off, type feature.

Seems strange that an article promoting next gen would make a point of advertising up coming features that were already present in old gen.
    edited 6 March 2017, 11:10PM
    Visionman said:

"The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."

Yes, I think I must have read this as well as articles mentioning the introduction of a continue watching feature - good find visionman
    edited 5 March 2017, 8:59PM
    Visionman said:

Yes, I think I must have read this as well as articles mentioning the introduction of a continue watching feature - good find visionman
    edited 6 March 2017, 11:10PM
    Visionman said:

So, again going back to your comment here -
    Are they?
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 10:17PM
    Visionman said:

There's some discussion about the TalkTalk info here:
    https://community.youview.com/youview...
    edited 5 March 2017, 10:46PM
    Visionman said:

Well they're not "handless" :) but I certainly take from the articles referenced here that there will be a "continue watching" feature added at some point. It seems very likely to me that this will be a Netflix like continue watching feature. Iplayer have just introduced such a feature. It seems to be currency now. It's certainly a common sense feature.

We all know the back route from episodes in series folders is not up to scratch either. Currently pressing back, stop, or simply watching a recording to the end, will take you to a point outside the series folder, instead of back to the episode you were just watching within the folder....I would be very surprised if this behaviour was not fixed soon.