[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

1192021222325»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:23PM

So, have had this update a couple weeks now & thought I would refresh what I hate about this system after a bedding in period. I am a working Mum of a toddler so the need for speed & ease of use it a must.
    *The guiding popping up when you turn on. Unless you watch the first 5 channels its hopeless.
    *Hidden Channels. I have new subscription channels I want to hide. It annoys the **** out of me that Im going to be forced to scroll through irrelevant content.
    *Search. In Now & Next it shows me content of the subscription channels. Look up "Paw Patrol" on "Now and Next". You will see my frustration.
    *The mini TV screen gone in the guide.
    *After watching a show it takes you back to the main guide. Risk of deleting whole series & the hassle of finding the specific episode to delete it.
    *LISTS!!!!!!! Bring these back!!! The tiles are a complete pain. They are very difficult to manage. I bought a YouView box for my Mum & she loved it. She is now saying "I dont use it anymore, I cant find anything". Waste of an expensive Christmas present.
    WILL SOMEONE ON SUPPORT PLEASE LISTEN TO US. We are the consumers who bought a particular product to fulfil a need. You have taken us back in time.
    When I get a moment I am going to get in touch with Trading Standards because this whole situation feel so wrong!!!!
    This update should have been rolled out to new boxes only!!! I feel like ive been swindled.
    I would be interested for people to add additional complaints on this thread. So much has been said across so many threads. Would be good to have them in one list.

All opinions are valid on here.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 10:01PM
    Sieska said:

With so many people concentrating on the horrible tiles, I hope that 'the powers that be' haven't forgotten that just as important is the loss of the option to list recorded programmes alphabetically. 

I think tomorrow's 'A1: Britain's Longest Road' (BBC 1, 11:00) might pip it for the top spot :-)
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 9:22PM
    Sieska said:

With so many people concentrating on the horrible tiles, I hope that 'the powers that be' haven't forgotten that just as important is the loss of the option to list recorded programmes alphabetically. 

Oh you are awful, but I like you.
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=tSOgU6_8EIHR8gffqIC4Bw#q=oh+you+are+awful+but+i+like+you
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,679 admin
    edited 8 May 2017, 9:16AM

Wow - had been waiting with hopeful anticipation for the update, and then it appeared this morning - great thinks I: new shiny stuff! Oh dear. Oh very dear.

TL;DR - the recording/scheduled program listings are horrible - you've lost features and made the UI for managing any sizeable collection much worse. Plus there are navigation disconnects, missing features and AFAICS no killer new feature. Advice to others - stop your box updating if you have a chance, wait for a few months and hope they fix this mess.

Update process was nice and slick, no data appears lost, slick intro video with what looks like a new timeline bar. Then it comes time to use it...

So let's try the guide first - hmm look pretty similar, lots of info, but have lost the mini-channel view which makes a massive disconnect between audio still playing but not having a visible picture (the transparent background *doesn't* count as a picture - so deeply faded and re-coloured that until I found the setting to turn it off I hadn't noticed it was on). Navigation around the guide was ok.

Now my recordings - hmm, one more button press to get to the list and then - WTF? A garbled mess of pictures placed too close to each other. No obvious order from big tile to little tile - no reason for big tile - last recorded? So what - and on page 2->N why is there a big tile? Can't properly see the titles of recording, can't see how many recordings in a series. Page button feels wrong way around too - not sure why but 'up' on listing pages should be page - and 'down' page +, hard to justify with a left/right interface, but definitely feels wrong.

Once I do find the recording I want to watch, somewhere on page 2, the selection then lays over a whole new screen to show the episode list. Pick episode + watch program. Is it me or does jumping forward leave the timeline bar on screen for much longer? And didn't it used to animate away rather than just disappearing? Maybe just that it is taking up more space (for no extra info) now.

Finish record and am back out to the picture list - press delete to get rid of the episode just watched and bang - prompted to delete whole series. WTF2? You can't pop us back up the navigation stack and extra level like that. So I had to dig into the series, select the right episode and delete it - more work, no benefit. [And the symbols for Delete and Lock episode don't match anything on my remote - can figure out that the DEL buttons deletes, but no idea what I need to press for Lock]

Let's have a look at scheduled recordings (the select between the two areas is better at the top than bottom +1 point there). Arghh! More picture mess - and with the old problem of a double entry for a new series record it looks even worse - daft big tile at 1 per page here as well. Why? What purpose does that emphasis provide on a dynamic page such as page 2 of next recordings?

The picture tiles all feel too tightly packed together too - which makes visually separating them even harder, but that's like discussing an ingrowing toe nail on a gangrenous leg.

Let's have a look at the 'Players and Apps' menu entry that has gained emphasis by now being what I need to skip over when getting to MyTV - Arrgh - my eyes! Put some space between the logos please! You must understand how hard it is to separate the images when they are pixel packed and blend into each other? Not like there are so many you are short of space - and having mentioned that why bother with a whole other page for the 'Apps' (you know - all three of them). And Mr. Big Tile didn't get an outing here??

Settings - err, yeah. Old one wasn't great was it, but a top level of over large icons that flow out of the page isn't a lot better than the previous carousel. Individual pages seem a bit slower to open, but meh - shouldn't need to be in the settings anyway if the system works well.

Mini-guide for MyTv - found this, nice linear list of programs - could solve the horrible picture wall, and you get the current TV behind - whoops: appears to not acknowledge series recordings and just play the latest episode.... joy. Oh and it's limited to just the most recent recordings, not all.

In summary this update appears to be have been designed by someone who doesn't really use one of these boxes. They've certainly not got an extensive library of recordings, with multiple episodes of multiple series. They are seriously lacking in UX design knowledge too - bad navigation paths, more button presses needed to get to key areas, navigation stack breakages too.

Performance of on box operations doesn't seem to have improved either, and the whole UI still looks like it is designed for a small screen running at 720p rather than a big 1080p screen - overly large boxes/images - which are often then crashed right into each other as well.

Oh and releasing without 'hide channel' - WTF3? How hard can that be to add in? What sort of crazy build schedule had that as 'sod it, ship this and we'll fix it later'???

Let's hope the promised 'we can upgrade this quickly' now comes to fruition and some of the damage can be undone. Would be even better if any new feature that justified the change would appear....

Final thought: Foisting this on people as a fait accompli without the option to revert is grim. What % of your user base will have even heard this update was happening? I'm the sort of geek that fills in registration forms and follows this stuff, but I bet for 90%+ the first they'll know about is there box has irreversibly changed.

Hi Alaco123,

Your box shouldn't be that slow after updating. Can you please try a Maintenance Mode 4 reset to see if that helps? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 9 May 2017, 1:48PM

So, have had this update a couple weeks now & thought I would refresh what I hate about this system after a bedding in period. I am a working Mum of a toddler so the need for speed & ease of use it a must.
    *The guiding popping up when you turn on. Unless you watch the first 5 channels its hopeless.
    *Hidden Channels. I have new subscription channels I want to hide. It annoys the **** out of me that Im going to be forced to scroll through irrelevant content.
    *Search. In Now & Next it shows me content of the subscription channels. Look up "Paw Patrol" on "Now and Next". You will see my frustration.
    *The mini TV screen gone in the guide.
    *After watching a show it takes you back to the main guide. Risk of deleting whole series & the hassle of finding the specific episode to delete it.
    *LISTS!!!!!!! Bring these back!!! The tiles are a complete pain. They are very difficult to manage. I bought a YouView box for my Mum & she loved it. She is now saying "I dont use it anymore, I cant find anything". Waste of an expensive Christmas present.
    WILL SOMEONE ON SUPPORT PLEASE LISTEN TO US. We are the consumers who bought a particular product to fulfil a need. You have taken us back in time.
    When I get a moment I am going to get in touch with Trading Standards because this whole situation feel so wrong!!!!
    This update should have been rolled out to new boxes only!!! I feel like ive been swindled.
    I would be interested for people to add additional complaints on this thread. So much has been said across so many threads. Would be good to have them in one list.

That makes no sense. Where are these 'personal insults' I've made? Point me to them ..or just apologise. Eh? 
  • ben2ben2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 10 May 2017, 5:14PM
    I don't seem to be able to find a way to set a reminder for a program that is also available on demand. Without the extra options available by pressing info all I now have is pressing enter which will jump to the on demand player.  Am I missing something or has this option just been totally removed now ?
    edited 10 May 2017, 1:45PM
    ben2 said:

I don't seem to be able to find a way to set a reminder for a program that is also available on demand. Without the extra options available by pressing info all I now have is pressing enter which will jump to the on demand player.  Am I missing something or has this option just been totally removed now ?

It will come back, we hope, when the Action Panel (what you used to get in CurrentGen when you pressed Info) makes its promised return.

But there is no published (and possibly not even an unpublished) date set for this.
    edited 10 May 2017, 1:49PM
    ben2 said:

Thanks Roy, so for me, the incredible next gen (for now at least) involves setting an alarm clock to remind me when a program is on. The future is here ! and its annoying :(
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:28PM
    ben2 said:

Why would you have to set an alarm clock to watch something you could watch whenever you wanted to? :-)

But help is at hand:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:44PM
    ben2 said:

Thanks for the workaround, although its a major faff, especially given I use a harmony remote without alphabetical markings. If its likely to return then I can wait though.

I have a few reasons, one being in order for on demand to work I need to shutdown a load of my other network traffic just to get enough bandwidth, so I rarely use on demand. I cannot be the only person primarily using the box for tv and PVR functions, and for that purpose the box used to be great. On demand is just a slight bonus for me.  Plus I work from home, certain programs trigger a half hour break for me, I like using tv as it was, as a linear program schedule, where my routine is punctuated by tv events. Oh, neighbours is on, it must be time to put dinner on. Oh no, fraser has finished, I should have started work by now.  etc....

This isnt a massive complaint I just wanted it known that this was being missed and to see if I was missing a way to do it. I feel this update assumes everybody uses the box in the same way as the testers and if they dont then they should. The apple approach.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2017, 3:00PM
    ben2 said:

You can set a reminder using the apps on an Android or iOS tablet or phone, that way you can concentrate on your work without keeping half an eye on your TV.  ;)
    edited 10 May 2017, 3:58PM
    ben2 said:

I decided to just set a reminder for the channel above, that way when I switch to it confused and press guide I will see the program I intended, as long as it returns at some point that's fine for now. My phone android is too old for the app unfortunately.  I accept that this update isn't going to be reverted but do hope youview are listening to the individual things people really want back. and it is nice to see people offering suggestions rather than just arguing about which is better.
    edited 10 May 2017, 3:10PM
    ben2 said:

I believe that this function is slated to return as the rebuilt platform catches up with the old one, but dates as ever with YouView are unknown.
  • Dave DriverDave Driver Member Posts: 32
    edited 10 May 2017, 5:04PM
    ben2 said:

Not everyone is able or willing to use on demand. Personally I have a very slow broadband connection, and a 4G connection with a limited amount of data available each month. That means I have to choose between the slow connection which sometimes works, sometimes buffers, and sometimes craps out altogether, or using up a valuable chunk of my 4G data.

I would much prefer to watch programmes recorded from the TV, which is what I bought the box for in the first place.
    edited 10 May 2017, 5:08PM
    ben2 said:

Hey Dave Driver, are you having any issues setting recordings then? Because this question was about reminders.
  • Dave DriverDave Driver Member Posts: 32
    edited 10 May 2017, 5:15PM
    ben2 said:

I missed that fact. No issues setting recordings. I virtually never watch anything live so actually the reported issue is of little consequence to me.

Having said that I've probably only set up a couple of new recordings since the software was updated. I'm using the Humax a lot less and watching less telly since then.
  • John Smith5John Smith5 Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 June 2017, 10:00PM
    Main thing i miss is the start/finish time of programme selected in guide, i like to know what time exactly something started and will finish, without having to press the info button to find out every time