[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• Steve D2Steve D2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 28 March 2017, 6:42PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Agree.

The update (which didn't request permission before it installed) boasts an improved user experience, but actually appears to do more harm to UX than good.

For starters, I can't revert the update.

Next, I can't turn off future auto updates.

I don't want to see TalkTalk TV logos when I don't subscribe to their service.

The new picture-driven Recorded list is almost unusable.

And, when you've finished watching a recorded show and close it, the UI dumps you back to the TV instead of back to your recorded list. So, that means five - yes, FIVE - menu clicks to get back to the recorded list, find the show you just watched, then delete it.

What a load of ****. 
    edited 11 April 2017, 6:00PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Agree.

The update (which didn't request permission before it installed) boasts an improved user experience, but actually appears to do more harm to UX than good.

For starters, I can't revert the update.

Next, I can't turn off future auto updates.

I don't want to see TalkTalk TV logos when I don't subscribe to their service.

The new picture-driven Recorded list is almost unusable.

And, when you've finished watching a recorded show and close it, the UI dumps you back to the TV instead of back to your recorded list. So, that means five - yes, FIVE - menu clicks to get back to the recorded list, find the show you just watched, then delete it.

What a load of ****. 
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:53PM

Wow - had been waiting with hopeful anticipation for the update, and then it appeared this morning - great thinks I: new shiny stuff! Oh dear. Oh very dear.

TL;DR - the recording/scheduled program listings are horrible - you've lost features and made the UI for managing any sizeable collection much worse. Plus there are navigation disconnects, missing features and AFAICS no killer new feature. Advice to others - stop your box updating if you have a chance, wait for a few months and hope they fix this mess.

Update process was nice and slick, no data appears lost, slick intro video with what looks like a new timeline bar. Then it comes time to use it...

So let's try the guide first - hmm look pretty similar, lots of info, but have lost the mini-channel view which makes a massive disconnect between audio still playing but not having a visible picture (the transparent background *doesn't* count as a picture - so deeply faded and re-coloured that until I found the setting to turn it off I hadn't noticed it was on). Navigation around the guide was ok.

Now my recordings - hmm, one more button press to get to the list and then - WTF? A garbled mess of pictures placed too close to each other. No obvious order from big tile to little tile - no reason for big tile - last recorded? So what - and on page 2->N why is there a big tile? Can't properly see the titles of recording, can't see how many recordings in a series. Page button feels wrong way around too - not sure why but 'up' on listing pages should be page - and 'down' page +, hard to justify with a left/right interface, but definitely feels wrong.

Once I do find the recording I want to watch, somewhere on page 2, the selection then lays over a whole new screen to show the episode list. Pick episode + watch program. Is it me or does jumping forward leave the timeline bar on screen for much longer? And didn't it used to animate away rather than just disappearing? Maybe just that it is taking up more space (for no extra info) now.

Finish record and am back out to the picture list - press delete to get rid of the episode just watched and bang - prompted to delete whole series. WTF2? You can't pop us back up the navigation stack and extra level like that. So I had to dig into the series, select the right episode and delete it - more work, no benefit. [And the symbols for Delete and Lock episode don't match anything on my remote - can figure out that the DEL buttons deletes, but no idea what I need to press for Lock]

Let's have a look at scheduled recordings (the select between the two areas is better at the top than bottom +1 point there). Arghh! More picture mess - and with the old problem of a double entry for a new series record it looks even worse - daft big tile at 1 per page here as well. Why? What purpose does that emphasis provide on a dynamic page such as page 2 of next recordings?

The picture tiles all feel too tightly packed together too - which makes visually separating them even harder, but that's like discussing an ingrowing toe nail on a gangrenous leg.

Let's have a look at the 'Players and Apps' menu entry that has gained emphasis by now being what I need to skip over when getting to MyTV - Arrgh - my eyes! Put some space between the logos please! You must understand how hard it is to separate the images when they are pixel packed and blend into each other? Not like there are so many you are short of space - and having mentioned that why bother with a whole other page for the 'Apps' (you know - all three of them). And Mr. Big Tile didn't get an outing here??

Settings - err, yeah. Old one wasn't great was it, but a top level of over large icons that flow out of the page isn't a lot better than the previous carousel. Individual pages seem a bit slower to open, but meh - shouldn't need to be in the settings anyway if the system works well.

Mini-guide for MyTv - found this, nice linear list of programs - could solve the horrible picture wall, and you get the current TV behind - whoops: appears to not acknowledge series recordings and just play the latest episode.... joy. Oh and it's limited to just the most recent recordings, not all.

In summary this update appears to be have been designed by someone who doesn't really use one of these boxes. They've certainly not got an extensive library of recordings, with multiple episodes of multiple series. They are seriously lacking in UX design knowledge too - bad navigation paths, more button presses needed to get to key areas, navigation stack breakages too.

Performance of on box operations doesn't seem to have improved either, and the whole UI still looks like it is designed for a small screen running at 720p rather than a big 1080p screen - overly large boxes/images - which are often then crashed right into each other as well.

Oh and releasing without 'hide channel' - WTF3? How hard can that be to add in? What sort of crazy build schedule had that as 'sod it, ship this and we'll fix it later'???

Let's hope the promised 'we can upgrade this quickly' now comes to fruition and some of the damage can be undone. Would be even better if any new feature that justified the change would appear....

Final thought: Foisting this on people as a fait accompli without the option to revert is grim. What % of your user base will have even heard this update was happening? I'm the sort of geek that fills in registration forms and follows this stuff, but I bet for 90%+ the first they'll know about is there box has irreversibly changed.

I had no idea it was coming, and I am majorly unhappy that it installed without permission. I am even more unhappy that I cannot revert it. 
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:56PM

I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...

Err, every time someone goes to the utter car crash of a UI that is the Recordings page, they'll get a short sharp reminder of how things used to be. 
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:07PM

I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....

Same here.
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:57PM

I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...

Not hating just pointing out it's unnecessarily (and no matter how long it's given , unforgettably) ****.
    The changes were extensively reviewed a few months ago by a very patient and helpful person. Pros approx a dozen. Cons notably more, followed by 2 further lists each of a similar no. of 'minor cons'.  Think he called them niggles and hassles. BUT on the one hand minor cons included  things like loss of hiding adult channels (not so minor for families) and on the other of the 30 - 40 negative changes , the 5 I've encountered today in my 1st 12hr exposure are all major routine functions. eg EPG legibility and record library decipherability unless I get Alzheimers I'm not going to forget that these were once easily readable.  Especially since the latter has already resulted in me accidently deleting 2 sets of recordings. Using PVRs since 2004 , never  had such a problem before.
  • Andy15Andy15 Member Posts: 12
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:53PM

Wow - had been waiting with hopeful anticipation for the update, and then it appeared this morning - great thinks I: new shiny stuff! Oh dear. Oh very dear.

TL;DR - the recording/scheduled program listings are horrible - you've lost features and made the UI for managing any sizeable collection much worse. Plus there are navigation disconnects, missing features and AFAICS no killer new feature. Advice to others - stop your box updating if you have a chance, wait for a few months and hope they fix this mess.

Update process was nice and slick, no data appears lost, slick intro video with what looks like a new timeline bar. Then it comes time to use it...

So let's try the guide first - hmm look pretty similar, lots of info, but have lost the mini-channel view which makes a massive disconnect between audio still playing but not having a visible picture (the transparent background *doesn't* count as a picture - so deeply faded and re-coloured that until I found the setting to turn it off I hadn't noticed it was on). Navigation around the guide was ok.

Now my recordings - hmm, one more button press to get to the list and then - WTF? A garbled mess of pictures placed too close to each other. No obvious order from big tile to little tile - no reason for big tile - last recorded? So what - and on page 2->N why is there a big tile? Can't properly see the titles of recording, can't see how many recordings in a series. Page button feels wrong way around too - not sure why but 'up' on listing pages should be page - and 'down' page +, hard to justify with a left/right interface, but definitely feels wrong.

Once I do find the recording I want to watch, somewhere on page 2, the selection then lays over a whole new screen to show the episode list. Pick episode + watch program. Is it me or does jumping forward leave the timeline bar on screen for much longer? And didn't it used to animate away rather than just disappearing? Maybe just that it is taking up more space (for no extra info) now.

Finish record and am back out to the picture list - press delete to get rid of the episode just watched and bang - prompted to delete whole series. WTF2? You can't pop us back up the navigation stack and extra level like that. So I had to dig into the series, select the right episode and delete it - more work, no benefit. [And the symbols for Delete and Lock episode don't match anything on my remote - can figure out that the DEL buttons deletes, but no idea what I need to press for Lock]

Let's have a look at scheduled recordings (the select between the two areas is better at the top than bottom +1 point there). Arghh! More picture mess - and with the old problem of a double entry for a new series record it looks even worse - daft big tile at 1 per page here as well. Why? What purpose does that emphasis provide on a dynamic page such as page 2 of next recordings?

The picture tiles all feel too tightly packed together too - which makes visually separating them even harder, but that's like discussing an ingrowing toe nail on a gangrenous leg.

Let's have a look at the 'Players and Apps' menu entry that has gained emphasis by now being what I need to skip over when getting to MyTV - Arrgh - my eyes! Put some space between the logos please! You must understand how hard it is to separate the images when they are pixel packed and blend into each other? Not like there are so many you are short of space - and having mentioned that why bother with a whole other page for the 'Apps' (you know - all three of them). And Mr. Big Tile didn't get an outing here??

Settings - err, yeah. Old one wasn't great was it, but a top level of over large icons that flow out of the page isn't a lot better than the previous carousel. Individual pages seem a bit slower to open, but meh - shouldn't need to be in the settings anyway if the system works well.

Mini-guide for MyTv - found this, nice linear list of programs - could solve the horrible picture wall, and you get the current TV behind - whoops: appears to not acknowledge series recordings and just play the latest episode.... joy. Oh and it's limited to just the most recent recordings, not all.

In summary this update appears to be have been designed by someone who doesn't really use one of these boxes. They've certainly not got an extensive library of recordings, with multiple episodes of multiple series. They are seriously lacking in UX design knowledge too - bad navigation paths, more button presses needed to get to key areas, navigation stack breakages too.

Performance of on box operations doesn't seem to have improved either, and the whole UI still looks like it is designed for a small screen running at 720p rather than a big 1080p screen - overly large boxes/images - which are often then crashed right into each other as well.

Oh and releasing without 'hide channel' - WTF3? How hard can that be to add in? What sort of crazy build schedule had that as 'sod it, ship this and we'll fix it later'???

Let's hope the promised 'we can upgrade this quickly' now comes to fruition and some of the damage can be undone. Would be even better if any new feature that justified the change would appear....

Final thought: Foisting this on people as a fait accompli without the option to revert is grim. What % of your user base will have even heard this update was happening? I'm the sort of geek that fills in registration forms and follows this stuff, but I bet for 90%+ the first they'll know about is there box has irreversibly changed.

Total idiots. Wife wants a new box immediately as it's unusable for recordings. Agree with her.
  • Paul WortleyPaul Wortley Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:40AM
    This is a truly terrible "update" and disgraceful that we were not told it was coming or given the option to refuse. Does anyone from YouView actually read this forum? If so then please identify yourself and confirm whether or not the text list of recordings will be reinstated. If not then I suspect most people will simply dump their box as unusable. Does anyone know if there is a way to reverse the update and get back the excellent user interface we had before?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March 2017, 10:19PM

This is a truly terrible "update" and disgraceful that we were not told it was coming or given the option to refuse. Does anyone from YouView actually read this forum? If so then please identify yourself and confirm whether or not the text list of recordings will be reinstated. If not then I suspect most people will simply dump their box as unusable. Does anyone know if there is a way to reverse the update and get back the excellent user interface we had before?

"Does anyone from YouView actually read this forum?"
    Do you?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • caroline2caroline2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:58PM

I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....

Me too. Why does my Humax box now have a BT TV logo on the screens? I also hate the graphic layout of recordings, it's much harder to navigate. I'm so angry that I couldn't opt out of this upgrade. Just hoping that the relevant people read this forum and listen to us.
  • John HaltonJohn Halton Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 April 2017, 6:00PM
    SueS said:

I agree with all the comments about unsolicited changes, especially the recording list. Whoever thought this was an improvement is totally out of touch with reality. Credit the users with some intelligence and literacy. We do not need a screen full of images. The update totally detracts from viewing enjoyment.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2017, 2:08AM

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • John AndrewJohn Andrew Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:54PM

I agree with pretty much everything said by Richard Groves.
    It may look good but the functionality is much poorer.
    To install automatically without the option to refuse or revert is terrible.
    Must have an option to switch to lists.
    The ability to move quickly to a particular point in a recording has gone.
    If you try and record more than 2 programmes at once there is no longer the option to record at another time or cancel a recording.
    Why no option to hide channels?
    What a mess.
    Revert to the old software and start again.
  • john murphyjohn murphy Member Posts: 14
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:00PM

I just want to add that I hate this update too...and so does my Wife...and my youngest Son, so much so, that he wont use it now, he just uses the TV tuner.
    Please YouView, give us the option to go back to the lovely functionality the old UI had....and just a few words of advise....in future, don't lose useful functionality to make way for a new look/feel that many/most users don't want or need.
  • Simon Raglione-HallSimon Raglione-Hall Member Posts: 4
    edited 6 July 2017, 3:54PM
    Just to reiterate every single point made above. We just got our humax update. Deeply unimpressed despite wanting to like it.
    Every comment about the UK above is spot on. It's terrible. My wife just deleted a load of programmes in error after watching one of them because back doesn't just go back one level. Why do we have to go to the newest recording in a series. That isn't logical.
    We don't need rows of pictures because we can read. It should be optional.
    Joined this page just to say how awful this update is
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2017, 9:21PM

Adult channels are now hidden by default in NextGen, and need to be actively activated if required,

The rest of your points stand, but this one does not.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • Dave DriverDave Driver Member Posts: 32
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:43AM
    What moron designed this user interface? I hate it. It's clumsy and confusing. I just want to see my recordings in a list. I don't want to see pictures but I do want to see the details that used to be there in the old interface. And why is one programme on every page four times the size of all the others? Doesn't make any sense.

GIVE ME THE OLD INTERFACE BACK.
    edited 2 April 2017, 11:41AM

Just to reiterate every single point made above. We just got our humax update. Deeply unimpressed despite wanting to like it.
    Every comment about the UK above is spot on. It's terrible. My wife just deleted a load of programmes in error after watching one of them because back doesn't just go back one level. Why do we have to go to the newest recording in a series. That isn't logical.

Did the same deletion wise and even more annoying because I didnt realise I was doing it . don't know what I have deleted
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:36AM

That should have said UX not UK above.
  • Rob SleathRob Sleath Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 July 2017, 3:54PM
    This is total ****. How do I go back to the old interface so I can use the recordings section properly?

Also, bring back the mini TV in guide view.

I had zero complaints about the old system, please let me have it back!!!!
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:48AM

Babs the bot strikes again.
    Fascinating how the messages are produced.
  • Rob SleathRob Sleath Member Posts: 5
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:54PM

Hear, hear. Give us the old software back.
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:01PM

This is total ****. How do I go back to the old interface so I can use the recordings section properly?

I do hope that:
    A. The development team actually read the comments and act on them. I am sure if you knew there were fixes coming then you could live with a short term, half-arsed interface if you believed the end-outcome would be worth it and correct.
    B. This wasn't a one stop show. Paid the bill, software work done. Move on
    C. The development team don't just think it is people being change averse and ignore *all* the feedback being given because it doesn't fit with their view of how the users should use their interface.

The BBC are guilty of this with the news app on mobile device a few years ago. Took a very effective but relatively basic app. Decided to update it for the sake of updating it and never have got over the fact that they introduced a whole raft of **** no one wanted or used and fundamentally removed the parts of the app that worked brilliantly.

Devs: You got it close, but wrong but you can make it right by reading and acting on these comments, keep the new HTML 5 and cloud-driven features if that is at the core of this but fix the usability stuff. 
  • Nokuzola NkulaNokuzola Nkula Member Posts: 16
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:55AM

the development team's work appreciated. The people's queries attended to and acted on them. Advanced features were added on the updates.
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    Has anyone noticed: YV nextgen / Windows 8.....
    Large tiles/pictures used instead of functional list views.......... Community backlash...... Company promisess to fix it in the next version.......

I rest my case mi-lord.....
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:01PM

Not sure who "...the people's..." refers to. But as is patently obvious from at least 2 threads running on this site , the USER'S queries / needs are being totally ignored
  • Tim GrundeyTim Grundey Member Posts: 18
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:55PM

I agree with nearly all of Richards comments. What were they thinking of? Admittedly the previous interface was not perfect ( it was better than Sky) but this is much worse. I cannot see any improvement on this update other than its added surround sound if using audio output. Read somewhere you get a two week EPG not on mine though.
    What was wrong with list view in recordings? Maybe little pictures are easier for a 5 year old to navigate but would they be looking for a recorded programme anyway? Series recordings for tv do not seem to be in a folder making hard to find earliest but they are for radio, weird!
    In the EPG pressing info button gave a summary & you could the go right for more details & previous in a series you may have missed but this has all gone.
    I want the small screen top right which showed the current programme in EPG & recordings.
    I do not use catch up much & but it maybe loads a bit quicker.
    This update was supposedly in answer to customer demand. Who did they ask two drunks in the pub? Bring back list view PDQ, or even better revert to previous interface now & rethink all of it.

• Tim GrundeyTim Grundey Member Posts: 18
    edited 3 April 2017, 8:26AM

YV are unfortunately not alone in saying we know what you need & what's best for you. Apple act in a similar imperious manner forcing photos instead of iPhoto on users. Come on YV give us the option to "upgrade" or not after we have been informed of changes.
  • Paul WortleyPaul Wortley Member Posts: 4
    edited 18 July 2017, 4:20PM
    It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:05AM
    I had my BT changover yesterday! Was with Sky for 18 years but enough was enough :) I have the 4K box and I still seem to have the old Youview menus. I came from Sky Q which I thought was awful, and was one of the reasons I moved, but my new box says no update available? forgive the newbie question but are these boxes getting this apparently poor update? I for one cant think how it can be any worse than SkyQ, but I'm confused as to whether the Ultra HD box I have is getting it?