[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,037 ✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 1:06PM
    impydave said:

I had my BT changover yesterday! Was with Sky for 18 years but enough was enough :) I have the 4K box and I still seem to have the old Youview menus. I came from Sky Q which I thought was awful, and was one of the reasons I moved, but my new box says no update available? forgive the newbie question but are these boxes getting this apparently poor update? I for one cant think how it can be any worse than SkyQ, but I'm confused as to whether the Ultra HD box I have is getting it?

I suggest having a look at the first post and the relevant links in this thread from the BT Community
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...
  • Richard GrovesRichard Groves Member Posts: 8
    edited 10 March 2017, 1:54PM

It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?

Did you not get the email from YouView last night? [Pasted below]

Looks like they are hearing the complaints - a comment on here would have been nice as well though.

Email text:

Richard, here's some news about the new "Next Generation" YouView update...
    The YouView forum has received a high volume of complaints about the Next-Gen software update. There are three main areas of concern.

1) The general design is now image based and makes extensive use of thumbnails. Many people are unhappy about the use of these, particularly in the recordings list page and are asking to have an option available here to present items as a simple list.

2) Currently there are three significant missing functions (these are all planned to be restored in due course):
    The ability to hide and unhide channels.
    The Discover function.
    The "Action Panel" - this is the options that are available within the information screen (Play on Demand, Set Reminder, View HD Version etc).
    3) The principle functionality problem is how the recording list works for series recordings. There are clearly a number of fairly serious issues here that need to be resolved.

It's important to be aware that once your box has been updated it is impossible to return to the old software.
    This update will take place automatically overnight - you are not asked whether or not you wish to accept it.

If you are concerned about the above issues you may wish to delay the update until some or all of these have been resolved.
    There's a discussion about how to do this on the YouView forum:
    https://community.youview.com...box-updating-to-next-generation
    The simplest methods are described here:
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/how-to-prevent...reply_18449800

9/3/2017
  • BillyBoyBillyBoy Member Posts: 1
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:27PM

It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?

I sat down after a hard days work last night to watch some recordings. On seeing the new UI, I thought "something's changed", then I thought "who's messed up the settings", then after a while faffing around with settings, realised it was more that finger trouble by one of the kids. Then the missus came in and said "oh yeah, forgot to tell you, the youview box is really messed up".

At that point I realised we were looking at an imposed update, my biggest gripe are that the "commonly used" recording section is more clicks to get to and virtually unusable (from a time and effort perspective) if you have more than 1 page of recordings (I have many).

Now onto the images: who in their right mind thinks images and truncated descriptions presented only in the order of recording can be a good way to provide access to recordings? Did the developers consider that most users do not have a photographic memory, or that the chances are some random grabbed image from the recording would not be in any way "memory jogging" of what is in the recording?Come on, this aspect of the UI is joke (and a bad one at that, because it is really important in terms of usability).

By all means include a thumbnail if you absolutely must (although what value beyond eye-candy they add is beyond me, and at the expense of lost screen space), but you MUST put back proper clear recording listings, organise recorded series into easily accessible folders, and actually do some serious usability testing when you change a product (without offering a reversion) to who knows how many thousands of users.

It is a fundamental UI design principle in achieving an easy to use, efficient UI, that the most common use cases are given the the most prominence in your UI design from both a visibility and least number of clicks perspective. Infrequent use cases should less visible (to avoid clutter and detraction from the main functions). Please check if your UI developers actually understand this principle. Ask them how the new design is actually better than the previous one (in terms of user efficiency when working with a real-world recordings library). Why not do some comparative tests and be a bit scientific about it, the stats won't lie.

Reading some replies elsewhere here, it really sounds like you got feedback from some trial users who said they found pictures helpful and then decided to go for it big time with picture, which has been to the obvious detriment of usability, ouch...

The bottom line for me here is that after fighting with the new UI for a while, I just slung down the remote control, and skulked off to bed, with a full grump on. General consensus in the household this morning was basically if it doesn't get fixed pronto, then a new (non-Humax...) box will be required (it really is that bad).

I was kind of hoping there will be a quad tuner based Humax product coming at some point down the line (given the competition now have this), as I would have jumped to upgrade. But now, this experience has seriously dented my trust (and faith) in Humax.

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 7:06PM

Hi Richard - that email is not from YouView, it is from a YouView user who runs a mailing list of such information.
  • Richard GrovesRichard Groves Member Posts: 8
    edited 13 March 2017, 9:44PM

Thanks Keith!

Looked official enough - should have guess from the clear info and mea culpa that it wasn't official!
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 10 March 2017, 2:53PM

Hi Richard,

This morning we were made aware that an independently run site www.youviewupdate.co.uk, which allows interested parties to register their email address, sent an email newsletter via mailchimp to its registered users.

The contents of that email newsletter was written by the owner of the site. www.youviewupdate.co.uk bears no association with YouView TV Ltd or other associated parties mentioned or visible on the site.

Should you wish to get in contact with YouView directly please do so via our support site www.youview.com/support.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:13AM

To address Paul's earlier queries-

We do appreciate the feedback you and everyone has provided so far on the forum in relation to the new software release. We try and respond to as much feedback as possible, it’s not always possible to address every single point due to the range and volume of posts.

We are aware and acknowledge that the new changes with Next Gen are very different to what viewers have been used to and carefully take on board both positive and negative feedback. I want to assure you this feedback is shared with our teams and informs any future improvements. We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward, but we understand that there are further developments we can do and have designed our software to allow for regular updates.

Extensive user testing has been carried out in development and it is our absolute priority that the interface is easy to use. We remain committed to this which is why customer feedback is so important to us through here.

It is not possible to revert back to older software, but the current software roll-out is  the initial phase and our plan is to continue to develop and improve the software with subsequent updates.

Phil
  • DondDond Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:04PM

Hi BillyBoy

Well I found my update 2 days ago and soon shot off an online email to Youview at my dislike of the update as many of you users here.

I had an email this morning saying basically that I'm stuck with it. I sent them a reply.

" None of which you have said really helps as we are stuck with the graphical interface of the mytv section and may have to look elsewhere.

As you may understand not everyone has 20/20 vision due to medical condition, age and so on. I do understand you realise this a little as in the Settings > Appearance you have an option to use a contrast option but I feel with this new update (graphical interface) this needs changing (see below 1). Even with this contrast option in use my wife still finds the graphical interface nearly impossible to use as she finds the text on graphic very difficult to read and the graphics blurring into each other (see below 2)

I find the interface, when first turning the box on, a good help and the Guide changes good but this is still new and I will feedback if necessary. 

Changes I see to improve interface. 

1. The Settings > Appearance setting should have an option to turn graphical interface off so just leaving a text based list

2. I find the graphical interface too cluttered. You are trying to show to many recording graphics. The images are to small and with no space at all between them they, even to me, do blur into each other. Looking at IPlayer they have less with spaces and is a lot better on the eye. With the images larger this may help with the text.

3. When you have a program that has been set to record the series and you click on the recording, in the mytv home page, you are presented with a page that has a row of images of your recording at the top and the information underneath. I have a problem with this.

(a) If you have a lot of recordings in the series there is no quick way of getting to the first(oldest) recording. You have to press the < button and just let it scroll through. We should have an option to use the << button to scroll page by page. As an example I set Time Team to record the series and before I knew it there were 50 recordings to watch (before I stopped recording the series after this update) and it just takes an age to keep on scrolling to the oldest recording.

(b) With the information under the row of recording images you are wasting a lot of space at the bottom. Why have only one row of recording images and why have the information showing as you have an info button on the remote to use to call this up.

4. When you have watched a series recording program, and you are going to delete it, when you stop the recording you are taken back to the mytv home page, I was expecting to be taken back to the page showing the series (with information) and have the program watched highlighted so I could delete it. Instead you have to click on the series recording and scroll through until you find your program. All this I find very annoying and unnecessary.

I hope this helps and a little can be done to improve the user interface

• Simon Raglione-HallSimon Raglione-Hall Member Posts: 4
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:30PM

For what it is worth I think the answer on things like the graphical browsing of MyTV versus list view:
    • Give the user choice. It should be an easy change to do implement text. Dont blindly stick by your guns
    • Youview may think it is great, their user base seem to think it is pretty awful
    • We are all big enough to decide for ourselves which version we want without being told "This is better, trust us".
    • In the end, it is my box (Humax retail) and I really, really don't like the way it just changed. 
    • We have a 6 year old who can quite happily find the TV she wanted in a text list, the number of people who actively benefit from a change to pictorial view should, therefore, be minimal.
    • In the end, I don't doubt you can probably read out configuration stats somehow. Give users the option to view as list (and let them dump the graphical tile stuff) and see, after a year or so, how many people are still using tiles vs list. And then probably have a word with the people who carried out the research and find out how they got it so wrong.
  • Nikki3Nikki3 Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 March 2017, 1:54PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Agree with all the comments about the issues... The number of clicks for everything is ridiculous.

Watching series link recordings - too many clicks | Deleting after watching - too many clicks
    It's just as if no one has actually tried using it once you've accumulated a few series link recordings. If you only have one recording for each programme I suppose it would be OK. Who does, though? The scrolling left to get to the earliest recording, then being jumped out when you stop the recording so you have to go through a ridiculous number of steps again in order to delete is just stupid. It's altogether too easy to accidentally delete a whole series when you're only trying to delete one programme.

Getting to MyTV - too many clicks
    It even annoys me that to get to my recordings I have to make so many clicks... when the remote has a 'Guide' button anyway, why does the blue button take me to the guide first? - presumably because of the 5 bottom of the screen thumbnails. The blue button needs to go straight to 'MyTV'. 

Getting to the first recording in series link - too many clicks
    In MyTV, the thumbnails (which I don't like either) should take you to the earliest recording in a series first, rather than the most recent... who watches new before old in a series?

Quick navigation to a point in a recording - facility missing
    And yesterday I noticed that you can no longer 'type in' the number of minutes into a recording to jump straight to a particular place as you could before. 

The list goes on!
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:41AM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Agree with all the comments about the issues... The number of clicks for everything is ridiculous.

Watching series link recordings - too many clicks | Deleting after watching - too many clicks
    It's just as if no one has actually tried using it once you've accumulated a few series link recordings. If you only have one recording for each programme I suppose it would be OK. Who does, though? The scrolling left to get to the earliest recording, then being jumped out when you stop the recording so you have to go through a ridiculous number of steps again in order to delete is just stupid. It's altogether too easy to accidentally delete a whole series when you're only trying to delete one programme.

Getting to MyTV - too many clicks
    It even annoys me that to get to my recordings I have to make so many clicks... when the remote has a 'Guide' button anyway, why does the blue button take me to the guide first? - presumably because of the 5 bottom of the screen thumbnails. The blue button needs to go straight to 'MyTV'. 

Getting to the first recording in series link - too many clicks
    In MyTV, the thumbnails (which I don't like either) should take you to the earliest recording in a series first, rather than the most recent... who watches new before old in a series?

Quick navigation to a point in a recording - facility missing
    And yesterday I noticed that you can no longer 'type in' the number of minutes into a recording to jump straight to a particular place as you could before. 

The list goes on!
    edited 10 March 2017, 3:34PM
    SueS said:

Sorry for double-post. 'Remove' isn't working!
  • Paul WortleyPaul Wortley Member Posts: 4
    edited 6 July 2017, 3:54PM
    To Phil from YouView,

Thanks very much for your response. It is good to know that YouView are reading the customer feedback and intend to take it on board.

It is not so good that we cannot reverse this unwanted software change, which is clearly what everyone wants. The most worrying part of your response, however, is the following:

"We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward...."

You seem to be saying that the chorus of customer dissatisfaction is just wrong, and that the handful of people who work in your office have decided that the UI is now easier to use. With respect this is simply delusional - it reminds me of the Trump administration's "alternative facts". Please do not stick your head in the sand over this - listen to your customer base here, acknowledge that the UI has got worse, and use the next update to restore the features that made people like YouView the first place. The history of technology platforms tells us that it will not survive for long if you do not listen to your customers.
  • Steve D2Steve D2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:38PM
    Phil of YouView(not any more, I don't)

It's good that you read the forums and take the time to let people know that you're listening, but i'd wager that the depth of feeling here - much of which comes from people who have registered specifically to ask you to revert the software - is at odds with whatever your user testing is telling you. 

Even then, it would be a moot point if you simply gave your customers control over which software load their unit is running. But you won't, which is just a little shy of lunacy. 

If you won't allow customers to opt-out of future updates, won't allow customers to revert this update, and if you cannot accept that your UX, design and UI teams (assuming they exist) have got it 'wrong' this time, then I will not be a customer for much longer (I'm looking for a replacement this weekend, as it goes).

When I do find a replacement for my almost-new Humax unit, I'll be sure to leave an appropriate one-star review on Amazon (where I bought it from), and I'll also leave corresponding reviews on mainstream retailer websites across the UK.

That might sound vindictive, but the truth is that I don't think anyone should have this sort of **** foisted on them by Humax, and given that elements of the UI are now almost unusable, I think it's the responsibility of your spurned and ignored ex-customers to let others know what sort of business model Humax is running, and what sort of UX and CX they can expect. 
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:49PM

To Phil from YouView,

Thanks very much for your response. It is good to know that YouView are reading the customer feedback and intend to take it on board.

It is not so good that we cannot reverse this unwanted software change, which is clearly what everyone wants. The most worrying part of your response, however, is the following:

"We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward...."

You seem to be saying that the chorus of customer dissatisfaction is just wrong, and that the handful of people who work in your office have decided that the UI is now easier to use. With respect this is simply delusional - it reminds me of the Trump administration's "alternative facts". Please do not stick your head in the sand over this - listen to your customer base here, acknowledge that the UI has got worse, and use the next update to restore the features that made people like YouView the first place. The history of technology platforms tells us that it will not survive for long if you do not listen to your customers.

Spot on, Paul. 

Which viewers are those, then? Because if this forum is indicative of a wider audience, YouView customers are only going backwards.
  • Jane TJane T Member Posts: 9
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:13AM
    Like so many others here, I joined this forum specifically to express my dissatisfaction with this software update, and I think what everyone would like here is a little reassurance that something will be done to sort it out - especially the return of text lists for recordings, and sorting out  of the horrible mess that the series records now are. And I'm not getting it - it just feels like we're being told tough, we've tested it, this is what you are getting....
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:16AM

To Phil from YouView,

This forum is representative of a tiny percentage of the YouView users and mainly only the ones that are not happy. Ask yourself how many people have registered just to make thier displeasure known and have stated they were happy with it before and hence didn't frequent this forum.
    1% of the base could be on here and very vocal about not liking the update...that doesn't mean the other 99% aren't happy and just loving the new interface.
    Don't make the mistake that a forum is representative of the user base on the whole. Forum are mainly used by people unhappy about something (and geeks lol).
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:41PM

To Phil from YouView,

Geeks? Shirley Knott.
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:17AM

To Phil from YouView,

That doesn't mean YouView shouldn't listen to people on here and improve. Just that threats of leaving are really just a drop in the ocean of the actual user base, a lot of which MAY actually like the new interface.
    Sorry redchiz you are on here a lot so if not a geek what would you call us...lol
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:42PM

To Phil from YouView,

Agree. No need to apologise.  ;-)
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:37PM

To Phil from YouView,

Scott, I am not sure what your background is, but I work in the business of customer experience. When a normally-quiet forum suddenly bursts into life with people saying, "Please! Put it back how it was!", it is indicative of a MUCH wider problem.

That doesn't mean that some people won't like it. But I'd bet money that Humax will take a reputational hit if they don't address this.
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:17AM

To Phil from YouView,

Really because in my experience whenever a 5 year old product makes a big change to the way it functions I would ALWAYS expect a massive surge in people complaining on a forum. Change always causes issues while people adapt or just plain don't like the change. You will never please everyone. That doesn't mean the change is fundamentally wrong and should be reverted.
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:48PM

To Phil from YouView,

"Customer experience." What does that mean, have you been on a course? Have you also not read what scott said about relative numbers? And why is "background" of any importance here?
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:38PM

To Phil from YouView,

I accept that. But if you listen carefully to the complaints, people are not really expressing views on what they like. They're talking about being UNABLE to use the product with the UI as it is. Worse, some are talking about deleting recordings unwittingly. That's a very different conversation piece to simply saying they preferred it how it was before.

Anyway, I don't want to spend too much time on this, so I'll leave it there. 
  • Dave DriverDave Driver Member Posts: 32
    edited 11 March 2017, 10:32AM

To Phil from YouView,

I have never been to this forum before this week. It was only because I received this update and said very loudly "WTF?!!" that I even discovered that it existed. I was sufficiently annoyed at the way a previously usable appliance had been turned into a nightmare to use that I went hunting around for information about the issue. And it seems that a lot of other people feel the same. Now, ask yourself how many other people are annoyed about this but are not sufficiently tech savvy to go looking for an Internet forum. Bear in mind that this is a type of appliance that a large proportion of the public use these days, and only some of these would be the type of people that go on technical fora.

Normally I have better things to do than spend time on a forum about a household appliance that works perfectly well. I have a kettle, a microwave, a telly, a stereo etc. and I'm not a member of any forum for any of those. Maybe I would if the user interface to my kettle changed drastically and I suddenly found that making a cup of coffee is now much more difficult.
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:38PM

To Phil from YouView,

I have never been to this forum before this week. It was only because I received this update and said very loudly "WTF?!!" that I even discovered that it existed. I was sufficiently annoyed at the way a previously usable appliance had been turned into a nightmare to use that I went hunting around for information about the issue. And it seems that a lot of other people feel the same. Now, ask yourself how many other people are annoyed about this but are not sufficiently tech savvy to go looking for an Internet forum. Bear in mind that this is a type of appliance that a large proportion of the public use these days, and only some of these would be the type of people that go on technical fora.

Normally I have better things to do than spend time on a forum about a household appliance that works perfectly well. I have a kettle, a microwave, a telly, a stereo etc. and I'm not a member of any forum for any of those. Maybe I would if the user interface to my kettle changed drastically and I suddenly found that making a cup of coffee is now much more difficult.
    edited 10 March 2017, 8:56PM

To Phil from YouView,

You have just exactly proved my point....
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:18AM

To Phil from YouView,

Hey Dave, so you do not regularly seek out forums where you can tell the world that your kettle, microwave, telly etc. are working just fine? I guess it could be the same with most YouView users here.
    edited 10 March 2017, 10:45PM

To Phil from YouView,

No I haven't. you are making a huge assumption about the people who are NOT here complaining.
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:00PM

To Phil from YouView,

Hmm, people who are not here complaining...