[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:01PM

To Phil from YouView,

Thanks very much for your response. It is good to know that YouView are reading the customer feedback and intend to take it on board.

It is not so good that we cannot reverse this unwanted software change, which is clearly what everyone wants. The most worrying part of your response, however, is the following:

"We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward...."

You seem to be saying that the chorus of customer dissatisfaction is just wrong, and that the handful of people who work in your office have decided that the UI is now easier to use. With respect this is simply delusional - it reminds me of the Trump administration's "alternative facts". Please do not stick your head in the sand over this - listen to your customer base here, acknowledge that the UI has got worse, and use the next update to restore the features that made people like YouView the first place. The history of technology platforms tells us that it will not survive for long if you do not listen to your customers.

Because they are enjoying it and have better things to do...maybe it is you making the huge assumptions
  • Dave DriverDave Driver Member Posts: 32
    edited 13 March 2017, 9:59PM

To Phil from YouView,

Thanks very much for your response. It is good to know that YouView are reading the customer feedback and intend to take it on board.

It is not so good that we cannot reverse this unwanted software change, which is clearly what everyone wants. The most worrying part of your response, however, is the following:

"We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward...."

You seem to be saying that the chorus of customer dissatisfaction is just wrong, and that the handful of people who work in your office have decided that the UI is now easier to use. With respect this is simply delusional - it reminds me of the Trump administration's "alternative facts". Please do not stick your head in the sand over this - listen to your customer base here, acknowledge that the UI has got worse, and use the next update to restore the features that made people like YouView the first place. The history of technology platforms tells us that it will not survive for long if you do not listen to your customers.

OK, why are there not thousands of people here complaining?

Possible reasons:
    1. They are happy with the update
    2. They are unhappy and are having a grumble to their OH.
    3. They are unhappy but don't really appreciate that the software on their Humax box is actually controlled by Youview so don't know where to look.
    4. They don't really do Internet fora
    5. They don't have a computer
    6. They haven't suffered the update yet.
    7. They haven't got round to complaining yet.

It would be wrong to assume the reasons so all you can do is guess.
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:19AM

To Phil from YouView,

Look I agree, it still definitely needs some tweaking and I totally agree people should come on here and make suggestions for improvements. Just don't assume some complaints on here mean the interface is not liked by the majority.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:06PM

To Phil from YouView,

Yup. Those who are unhappy complain. Those who are happy don't.
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:06PM

To Phil from YouView,

There are millions of YouView users, even thousands complaining would be a drop in the ocean...
    edited 11 March 2017, 10:29AM

To Phil from YouView,

They are pretty serious issues though, indicating that whoever designed it probably never used a Youview box. How long does it take for me to get to the earliest episode of the series where I have 92 episodes? I'll tell you - over a minute with my finger on the button. And it would be so easy to inadvertently delete all 92 episodes.
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:39PM

To Phil from YouView,

They are pretty serious issues though, indicating that whoever designed it probably never used a Youview box. How long does it take for me to get to the earliest episode of the series where I have 92 episodes? I'll tell you - over a minute with my finger on the button. And it would be so easy to inadvertently delete all 92 episodes.
  • Neil LeacyNeil Leacy Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:14AM
    Prior to this software update I had no reason to look out for this forum as both my wife and I were very happy with the previous UI . In fact we'd been pleased with our dtrt2000t from the moment we'd got it out of the box. So much better than the Virgin set top box we left because of it's unpleasant UI.

Now we feel we're back to square one and ready to find a replacement.

I appreciate that it is good to have someone like Phil of YOUVIEW reading and posting in the forum. And Phil, would you mind asking the design team the following questions -

Why remove the 'Discover' feature?
    Why is there no text list option available for the 'MyTV' pages?
    Why do the graphic thumbnails have to be so big?
    In fact, just why, why, why has this update been released without warning?
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:09PM

To Phil from YouView,

I don't think too many are disagreeing with that specific point about mangaging recordings.
  • Neil LeacyNeil Leacy Member Posts: 4
    edited 10 March 2017, 9:11PM
    Prior to this software update I had no reason to look out for this forum as both my wife and I were very happy with the previous UI . In fact we'd been pleased with our dtrt2000t from the moment we'd got it out of the box. So much better than the Virgin set top box we left because of it's unpleasant UI.

Now we feel we're back to square one and ready to find a replacement.

I appreciate that it is good to have someone like Phil of YOUVIEW reading and posting in the forum. And Phil, would you mind asking the design team the following questions -

Why remove the 'Discover' feature?
    Why is there no text list option available for the 'MyTV' pages?
    Why do the graphic thumbnails have to be so big?
    In fact, just why, why, why has this update been released without warning?
  • Marta ClareMarta Clare Member Posts: 8
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:04PM

It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?

I. Also find this update an unnecessary annoyance. I bought my Humax box because I liked the way it worked, Now I have this worse than useless update imposed on me. Surely, I should at least have been offered a choice between lists and thumbnails!
    edited 17 March 2017, 12:03AM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Playing recorded programmmes is now a total pain. Obviously if one chose to record a programme one knows what it is. So pictorial reminders are not necessary: a list is perfectly easy to choose from. Deleting is also so much more simple from a list! Choosing to delete a programme from a series is fraught with insecurities. Am I deleting the right one? I just cannot see why all this tampering with a good simple system is seen as an improvement.
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:42AM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

Playing recorded programmmes is now a total pain. Obviously if one chose to record a programme one knows what it is. So pictorial reminders are not necessary: a list is perfectly easy to choose from. Deleting is also so much more simple from a list! Choosing to delete a programme from a series is fraught with insecurities. Am I deleting the right one? I just cannot see why all this tampering with a good simple system is seen as an improvement.
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:37PM

To Phil from YouView,

Dave, at least 2 of us on here have already fallen victim to just such accidental deletion. I did it twice in one go because I didn't realise I was doing it
    edited 10 March 2017, 10:49PM

To Phil from YouView,

"Fallen victim," seriously? Think about your choice of phrase when talking about a bit of telly as opposed to something important.
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 10 March 2017, 10:57PM

To Phil from YouView,

Redchiz - If only the world was so simple. Time and time again people don't complain / vote / demonstrate etc (particularly in this country as to US or France in some comparable circumstances ) because they can't be bothered / feel they are disenfranchised / won't be listened too / achieve the desired outcome.
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:15PM

To Phil from YouView,

Couldn't agree more, which is why Trump is President of the USA.
  • Andy15Andy15 Member Posts: 12
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:40PM

To Phil from YouView,

redchiz, I've no idea who you are or why you're here, I'm sure you have your reasons. The people trying to complain to the software manufacturer who operates this forum are trying to do just that - talk to the manufacturer. They're not here for your saintly advice. They're here to tell the people who turned their expensive piece of hardware into a waste of space that they're unhappy and what they'd like done. So do us all a favour and stop trying to wind people up and let them give their feedback. Please. Ta.
    edited 11 March 2017, 10:28AM

To Phil from YouView,

Probably a regular forumite whose nose has been put out of joint by all these new people who suddenly appeared. 
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:26PM

To Phil from YouView,

Ha-ha, that's it, chuck in a bit of personal sleight, heaven help anyone with a difference of opinion.
  • Steve D2Steve D2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 11 March 2017, 10:27AM

To Phil from YouView,

Agree, Andy. It's one thing to have good natured discussion, but another entirely to be on the receiving end of a surprise torrent of sanctimony! 
    edited 11 March 2017, 10:27AM

To Phil from YouView,

Funny though, none of us were complaining about how the old version worked. It wasn't wonderful, but it did what we needed, it was good enough. So we were happy. This looks like a backward step.

But then again my opinion is that PVRs in the UK are going backwards. I have not seen anything yet in terms of user interface that beats my Series 1 TiVo that I bought in 2001. That worked perfectly and was a joy to use. It still works but the hardware in newer PVRs is more capable. Sadly TiVo all but abandoned the UK market and I am unable to gain access to the only UK TiVo now as I am not in a Virgin Media area.
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:40PM

To Phil from YouView,

redchiz, nothing against you, but you do appear to be defending something that many others are unhappy with. Do you think the new version is better in all ways? I can see that there are some good points, but these are far outweighed by some fairly major flaws.
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:39PM

To Phil from YouView,

Hey Dave Driver, if you can point to anything I have said which is defending something that many others are unhappy with then do please be specific and point it out. I am well aware of the negative reactions on here and in some respects I sympathise, as I hope my own critical comments have made clear.  What I don't much care for is the abusive tone which some feel the need to embellish their comments with.
  • Paul WortleyPaul Wortley Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:16AM
    Some very amusing comments on this thread today from a couple of people trying to pretend there is no problem here, on the basis that it's OK if 95% of people posting don't like/want this update, because there are plenty of other users who haven't bothered to post. This reminds me very strongly of the Blackberry forums a few years ago - much loved platform, starts to get criticised on forums because developments do not actually pay attention to what customers need/want, and a few hardcore Blackberry addicts react with fury and argue that there must be lots of people who like it and those posting should just go away and get used to it. We all know how that ended up...
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:42PM

To Phil from YouView,

Well, I mean no abuse.
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:45PM

Some very amusing comments on this thread today from a couple of people trying to pretend there is no problem here, on the basis that it's OK if 95% of people posting don't like/want this update, because there are plenty of other users who haven't bothered to post. This reminds me very strongly of the Blackberry forums a few years ago - much loved platform, starts to get criticised on forums because developments do not actually pay attention to what customers need/want, and a few hardcore Blackberry addicts react with fury and argue that there must be lots of people who like it and those posting should just go away and get used to it. We all know how that ended up...

Is that why Blackberry demised? I thought it was because they were technologically asleep and overtaken and their security processes were severely breached.
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:46PM

To Phil from YouView,

Redchiz, with the amount of points you have racked up, you have obviously been around here for quite a while. You must have some decent knowledge and opinions of Youview, You're obviously not just here because it's all going wrong. Do you have any knowledge of how the company will be handling this?
    edited 10 March 2017, 11:47PM

To Phil from YouView,

Cool, don't say things like "a regular forumite whose nose has been put out of joint" then. ;)

And "no." I wish. :)
  • Andy15Andy15 Member Posts: 12
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:41PM

To Phil from YouView,

My only beef is with this new software release as I don't universally like it compared to what I had a few days ago. I like the look and feel, but none of that matters to me until the CORE function I bought it for works again, which was to record and play back television programs. That bit's been shafted IN MY OPINION. I'm happy for those that like the image-based windows 8 tiles, but I prefer reading the titles and would like the option to switch to that format. My feedback is with the intentions of improving the product for myself and others. When I see people belittling the opinions of others and making them defend their feedback, it gets on my nerves, that's all. So, let's move on and get back to collectively making the YouView UI a better place to spend time for everyone (as long as we can all have our own ways).