Discover option gone!

Jamie DaviesJamie Davies Posts: 7Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Feedback
My DBT2200 box has just updated to the new look and the discover option is gone. To be honest this was the only thing that sets Youview aside from the rest. I would rather use players on my phone and Chromecast if Youview is only going to provide access to players

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,344Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    There is a great deal of CurrentGen functionality missing from NextGen.

This - and the whole new slew of problems with the operation of the graphic UI - the YouView development teams are hard at work remedying, we are assured.

So give it time, and Discover will return.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,963Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    The discover option is still present on the youview app while I appreciate its not ideal for now until the discover option makes a comeback you could maybe use the desciver on the app and if you see something you would like to watch send a remote record request from the app.
  • Oliver FarnellOliver Farnell Posts: 7Member
    edited 11 June 2017, 8:38PM
    Same here, I'm using the Huma Dtrt2000 and I only watch tv on demand through the discover button which has vanished!!
    also I cnt find youview in the apps menu
    The youview app is android and iOS and you have to pair it to your box
    Why do I have to pair anything when yesterday everything worked perfectly. I don't even know how to pair a device
    Its straight forward if you download the app and follow the instructions on the app. The same app will allow you to set recordings while your out as well
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 3:40PM

Why do I have to pair anything when yesterday everything worked perfectly. I don't even know how to pair a device

If you are interested in using the YouView app then we have an FAQ that can help you set it up: https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/set-up/setting-up-the-youview-app 
  • Jamie DaviesJamie Davies Posts: 7Member
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:53PM

I'm struggling to understand why the new version would be released without this key feature. Maybe it's just me that thinks that the discover function is what made Youview relevant?
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:25PM

Its not really a key feature. A key feature would be not been able to record your programs or IP channels not working on next gen missing catch up players etc I accept you used to use this feature as pointed out already its clear its going to return at some point. The next gen upgrade was a massive undertaken by youview staff. They rebuilt the platform from the ground up which included a platform change youview next gen is cloud based while youview classic was flash based. Obviously its better to make sure the new platform has functions of critical importance first then add other functions back at a later date. The edit channel list will also return in due course. If you place the app on your phone you can use discovery on the app and send remote record requests if you happen to discover something you want to watch. Yes its not ideal but unfortunately there is nothing else that you can do at present.
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:54PM

Its a key feature for those of us who only use youview for this function. It was great to be able to scroll through documentaries or dramas and choose what you wanted to watch !
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:32PM

In my opinion Youview is all about a unique on demand experience and not recording. The DBT2200 box doesn't record anyway. Any ideas when discover will return?
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:37PM

I disagree most people I know with youview didn't know it exsisted until I asked them if they use it and after that they still just used the EPG to find a show. I accept you used this function but give it time and it will probably return. The platform rebuild is obviously still a work in progress. The switch to cloud instead of flash is a massive undertaken by youview staff and all things considered they have done rather well.
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:43PM

Daniel are you with your friends at the moment in the retirement home?
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:44PM

Just kidding
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:52PM

Wouldn't it make sense to release a new finished product instead of a work in progress, you don't Goto the shops and buy half baked bread do you?
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:51PM

Just for reference I'm in my twenty's so obviously not. What it is people have there own opinion what there fully entitled to in all fairness. One of the main reason giving for not finding the discovery function useful is they either a know what types of show there looking for already so have a idea where to find them or b they prefer to record there shows to time shift and watch at a time of there choosing. Not every show I and my friends watch make it to on demand. I fall into cat b.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,176Member ✭✭✭
    First of all let's be clear about one thing.
    The Discover function on the app is not a substitute for Discover function on a first-gen box, which is massively more powerful and sophisticated.
    To repeatedly recommend the app is simply misleading.

Secondly it's obvious that the loss of Discover in the new software is a significant issue for some people. It is patronising to dismiss what they are saying.
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:54PM

My past post is aimed at the original poster. Unfortunately I have nothing else to say on the matter next gen is clearly better and the temp solution has already been posted you are just going to have to be patient
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,606Member ✭✭✭
    "Its a key feature for those of us who only use youview for this function. It was great to be able to scroll through documentaries or dramas and choose what you wanted to watch!"
    "In my opinion Youview is all about a unique on demand experience and not recording. The DBT2200 box doesn't record anyway. Any ideas when discover will return?"

I tested this just before it was released and it was very pretty. In other words, it was a very good and well thought-out lay-out, and it worked perfectly. But I asked YV - 'Whats it for? I don't geddit.'
    Strange, but true.
    I geddit now - its a genre search from which one can choose from that what one wants to watch. Very Useful. But I still don't use it. Which is another strange but true. As unlike the two examples above, I record everything.
    YouView can be and often is many things to many people, and each use it in their own way to suit their own needs and I like that flexibility.

Anyway, back to the question. :)  
    The 3 features which have been stated and slated to return as a priority (as in next) are - Hide Channels (which will probably be first), Discover and Action Panel. Hope that helps.
    edited 1 March 2017, 9:59PM
    jimb said:

First of all let's be clear about one thing.
    The Discover function on the app is not a substitute for Discover function on a first-gen box, which is massively more powerful and sophisticated.
    To repeatedly recommend the app is simply misleading.

Secondly it's obvious that the loss of Discover in the new software is a significant issue for some people. It is patronising to dismiss what they are saying.

I'm not saying its not but there is nothing else that can be done. The temp solution is better then nothing at all. I'm sure youview will take on board feedback provided but it's not exactly going to change things the speed people seam to want it to happen. On top of that I am sure updates and changes will be covered in the terms and conditions
    edited 11 June 2017, 8:39PM
    Visionman said:

"Its a key feature for those of us who only use youview for this function. It was great to be able to scroll through documentaries or dramas and choose what you wanted to watch!"
    "In my opinion Youview is all about a unique on demand experience and not recording. The DBT2200 box doesn't record anyway. Any ideas when discover will return?"

I tested this just before it was released and it was very pretty. In other words, it was a very good and well thought-out lay-out, and it worked perfectly. But I asked YV - 'Whats it for? I don't geddit.'
    Strange, but true.
    I geddit now - its a genre search from which one can choose from that what one wants to watch. Very Useful. But I still don't use it. Which is another strange but true. As unlike the two examples above, I record everything.
    YouView can be and often is many things to many people, and each use it in their own way to suit their own needs and I like that flexibility.

The 3 features which have been stated and slated to return as a priority (as in next) are - Hide Channels (which will probably be first), Discover and Action Panel. Hope that helps.

I'd also like to add Discover is a very sophisticated and powerful function used by many. And its free.
    D
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:

Strange, but true.

Are you from USA visionman I would not like to think what your discover card bill is like lol or is it free because you hide behind the sofa when they knock on the door lol
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,344Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 March 2017, 7:06AM

Oliver

Actually, Tesco do a nice line in partly baked bread, which we buy frozen and store. A quick burst in the oven then gives you hot, freashly baked bread on demand.

But I agree it is not ideal to have YouView on demand half-baked :-)
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:06PM

Which is ultimately a double meaning. Not ideal but necessary. Have a like.

"Wouldn't it make sense to release a new finished product instead of a work in progress, you don't Goto the shops and buy half baked bread do you?"
    Why yes, I do...  :)

See below for full reply -
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 315Member
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:10PM

@Roy, I know the bread you mean but there is also more partially baked bread being sold than that. 
    When sliced bread first started to be mass produced a major issue was that the crumbs produced by the slicing caused a lot of down time due to the frequent need to stop slicing to maintain the machines.  By not fully baking loaves less crumbs were produced and therefore there was less maintenance down time. Once people got use to it not being fully cooked and found that the norm then gradually the backing could be reduced further until we what is sold as pre-packaged slice bread today. Where a non-sliced version is also produced the backing time was also reduced which helped simplify the whole process.
    This is a reason why some bread improves so much when it is toasted, but potential not good at all if you don't like toast!
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:15PM
    Visionman said:

Strange, but true.

Just to be clear I'm joking in my last post
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:30PM
    Visionman said:

Strange, but true.

I knew that.
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:46PM
    Visionman said:

Strange, but true.

My comment was a side swipe at the full fat premium TV platforms that demand a premium payment for certain levels of functionality, which YouView doesn't. Discover being one of them. When some NextGen one discovers it, of course. :)
  • jadejade Posts: 8Member
    Aaarrgghh my box has only just 'updated' and I'm gutted that the discover option has gone. This was by far the best feature of youview and I discovered tonnes of stuff I would never have known existed. My favourite was scrolling through a category such as 'world drama' and reading synopsis etc and trying stuff out. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone working on 'developing' this would think this feature was anything other than essential - **sigh**
    edited 28 May 2017, 4:07PM
    jade said:

Aaarrgghh my box has only just 'updated' and I'm gutted that the discover option has gone. This was by far the best feature of youview and I discovered tonnes of stuff I would never have known existed. My favourite was scrolling through a category such as 'world drama' and reading synopsis etc and trying stuff out. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone working on 'developing' this would think this feature was anything other than essential - **sigh**

Hi jade I can appreciate that this is a feature you found useful. It has been announced that action panel, hide channels and discover will make a return in next gen unfortunately a date this will be developed by has not been released yet. I personally never used it on my youview box however I appreciate that people can use there equipment in different ways and I really hope that the features mentioned are returned soon. I'm hoping hide channels is back soon personally.