[Discussion] Sony TVs (2016) software update

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 5 May 2017, 5:44PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the new Sony TV software update PKG 6.1004 in this discussion thread

Comments

• Colin NowellColin Nowell Posts: 126Member
    edited 18 March 2017, 12:05AM
    Just loaded this update to my KD-43XD8088 last night and frankly, I haven't noticed any real differences or enhancements? Is there a list somewhere?

While I am on, dare I talk about the "elephant in the room" that is the TOTAL LACK of the ability to record using the Youview interface on my new TV? Even though I have a 1Tb drive attached to its USB3 port that works extremely well as long as I completely DISABLE the Youview interface and instead opt for standard Freeview Play for TV! What is the point of having Youview on this particular Sony TV in this case? If you are going to say "ah well, you can scroll back through the EPG and play a program using the on demand players as appropriate!", then may I just point out that this functionality is completely and easily available via any of the standard On Demand player apps that are available via Android!!

Sat underneath my TV is also a Humax DTR1000 (retail) with a 2Tb drive fitted and the pre-nextgen software and that is capable so why not the Sony TV, Youview interface and with attached HDD??!!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 March 2017, 12:12AM

Just loaded this update to my KD-43XD8088 last night and frankly, I haven't noticed any real differences or enhancements? Is there a list somewhere?

While I am on, dare I talk about the "elephant in the room" that is the TOTAL LACK of the ability to record using the Youview interface on my new TV? Even though I have a 1Tb drive attached to its USB3 port that works extremely well as long as I completely DISABLE the Youview interface and instead opt for standard Freeview Play for TV! What is the point of having Youview on this particular Sony TV in this case? If you are going to say "ah well, you can scroll back through the EPG and play a program using the on demand players as appropriate!", then may I just point out that this functionality is completely and easily available via any of the standard On Demand player apps that are available via Android!!

Sat underneath my TV is also a Humax DTR1000 (retail) with a 2Tb drive fitted and the pre-nextgen software and that is capable so why not the Sony TV, Youview interface and with attached HDD??!!

These YouView enabled TVs will never be recordable, unfortunately. And nor are they slotted for NextGen, either (no point really). It appears what we have now is all we're going to have now.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 March 2017, 12:12AM

Android for TV and Android in general are two different beasts.

Look for the itv and All4 players in the Google Play Store on these TVs, and you will look in vain.

You can cast them to the built-in virtual Chromecast on these sets, though.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 129Member
    edited 18 March 2017, 9:08AM
    YouView on Sony is useless.
    Having updates for the TVs made in different yrs is also absurd.

Having catchup is the only advantage
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 March 2017, 9:08AM
    DJHB1980 said:

YouView on Sony is useless.
    Having updates for the TVs made in different yrs is also absurd.

Having catchup is the only advantage

Which many other makes of TV provide as standard anyway.

And I just found NowTV on our Samsung TV - all of it, not just Movies - which neither the YouView TV nor the YouView box itself can provide.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?