Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 April 2017, 11:05PM

That, is very favourable, thank you for the update. You see, all people want, is comms! Cheers

No, a difference of interpretation as I said, which is impossible to resolve between us without further comment/clarification from momist.
  • momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 15 April 2017, 11:16PM

That, is very favourable, thank you for the update. You see, all people want, is comms! Cheers

No clarification needed from me.  I agree with Roy that a smart TV with Freeview is all that is required.  The one he linked to looks like a good bet.
    I have a severe distrust of things that are 'all rolled into one' as then, when one bit fails or becomes outdated (or badly upgraded?) you have to replace the lot.
    I suppose that my Linsar (British company, made in Turkey) could be described as 'low rent' by some TV addicts.
    edited 16 April 2017, 10:17AM

Ah, OK, I misunderstood. My preference is to not even have a so-called "smart" TV as history tells us that these become dumber with each passing year.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 17 April 2017, 3:54PM

jonesh,
    It's amazing how much good info is in the archives of this forum, but how hard it is to find (if you were involved in the discussion originally, then you have a much better chance).
    What this place needs are stickys. And something saying "updates WILL be along once we finish the rollout" could very well be a sticky.

Actually, (ponders...) when is the rollout actually "finished"? When every last box has been updated? That's not possible, because a lot of them might now be disconnected and sitting in cupboards/ebay/car-boot/landfill. Then there's the people who have prevented the update by whatever means, so the old boxes are still online, and showing up on YV servers.
    So, YV must have factored that in?
    It's an inevitable fact that incremental updates will be available before all boxes have the rollout. In that case, why wait? Struggling to understand the logic now.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 3:54PM

I also don't understand the logic.
    I think YouView have made this decision (with the implication that there is a good reason for doing things this way) because it buys them more time to sort out the problems.
    But there'll be some people who will be very unhappy to have to wait so long (for example to have a feature that they really valued to be restored). Those with TalkTalk boxes that were updated early on in the rollout will have been living with Next-Gen and its shortcomings for as long as seven months before any sign of progress appears.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 11:45AM

Murray,
    I've had another look and I still can't find it. I'll have a look another time. Yes, it is very hard to find things on the forum. The idea of stickys has been raised before.

As I understood it changes couldn't be implemented until the roll-out is complete, which I assumed meant after it had been made availabe to all boxes. I might well have come to the wrong conclusion . . .
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 2:45PM

I think it's a strategy rather than any sort of technical thing.

The rollout is deemed complete a couple of days after the point at which there is no box which, were it to be connected to the internet and a check for updates be carried out, would still tell its owner than his/her current older release was the latest.

Sorry if that sounds a bit convoluted :-(

But if everybody, on that model/variant could get it, then YouView are not concerned with those who, for one reason or another, aren't trying to get it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 3:34PM

Jonesh, is this the comment you're looking for..

https://community.youview.com/youview...
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 3:39PM

That's the one. Thanks.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 3:35PM

It should also be noted that for accounting purposes, there are officially 2.5m boxes out there, and that figure only encompasses boxes that are permanently connected to the internet.  
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 5:09PM

So we blipped out of the count when we moved house, and blipped back in again when BT eventually wired us up?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 16 April 2017, 5:26PM

Thats a very basic way of putting it, but yes. There are perhaps closer to 3m+ out there, but NextGen isn't looking for them.
  • Carmel Mundt-LeachCarmel Mundt-Leach Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:46PM

Phil, Why should we have to wait for something we already had a month ago, the fact that features missing that were there before this update, shows that is was not ready for release. If you really are listening to us, give us back the original software and when you have fully fixed and sorted out this new one then roll it out.

As for the key themes you mentioned, we don't want tiles of any description, we want nice easy to read lists, surely it can't be that hard to give the option to have lists or tiles.

Definitely return the list option to us! The tile option is demeaning!
    edited 16 April 2017, 6:09PM

Please explain that Visionman.
    edited 16 April 2017, 6:22PM

Why? So you can further continue your hit and run tirade? I think not.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 6:36PM

I think an explanation is warranted for that statement.
    edited 16 April 2017, 6:48PM

I don't understand that comment either Visionman
    What I was asking you to explain was the 500,000 boxes that Next-Gen isn't looking for. Maybe I'm being stupid but I can't figure out what you're referring to.
    edited 16 April 2017, 7:02PM

There are boxes out there, which I call 'floaters' which aren't connected to the internet. Such are not included in YVs 2.5m official number.
    Examples of such can be boxes which have been booted up and then disconnected from the internet, boxes for sale on Ebay or those who simply choose to dip in and out of an internet connection as they choose. No biggie.
  • Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:15PM

Any update on the possibility of a list view option, I don't know if it thousands, tens of thousands or millions who are waiting for an answer but it certainly is a lot and a lot more than complaining in this forum.

edited 16 April 2017, 7:52PM

Thanks for explaining.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 23 April 2017, 10:13AM

VM: "Thats a very basic way of putting it, but yes. There are perhaps closer to 3m+ out there, but NextGen isn't looking for them."

jimb: "Please explain that Visionman."

VM: "So you can further continue your hit and run tirade?"

several ask - please explain?

VM: "There are boxes out there, which I call 'floaters' which aren't connected to the internet. Such are not included in YVs 2.5m official number.
    Examples of such can be boxes which have been booted up and then disconnected from the internet, boxes for sale on Ebay or those who simply choose to dip in and out of an internet connection as they choose. No biggie."

I'm still not getting this. I must have missed a post or something. Where did "tirade" come in? It's pretty strong, and the explanation doesn't really explain it.
  • Scott LeslieScott Leslie Member Posts: 18
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I have arrived at this forum as my TV box was update a week ago. I have tried to get used to it - and some areas are good - but the MyTV area is useless. I want the option to have an ordered list as well. 
    I don't know what user were used in the testing, but this option is missing.

Yes keep the option of the image layout - that may suit some , but to lose an organised list of recordings is a real miss in the functionality.
    I guess the the UI designer maybe got carried away....

if there is no update to a list view option - I will be looking elsewhere... even into the dark world of SKY!)
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:07PM

I have arrived at this forum as my TV box was update a week ago. I have tried to get used to it - and some areas are good - but the MyTV area is useless. I want the option to have an ordered list as well. 

Yes keep the option of the image layout - that may suit some , but to lose an organised list of recordings is a real miss in the functionality.

if there is no update to a list view option - I will be looking elsewhere... even into the dark world of SKY!)

Theres no list view on there either, sorry.
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:11PM

Hi Scott, welcome to the madness. By ordered do you mean option for alphabetical, otherwise it is still chronological, albeit from left to right now.

A lot of comparisons are made with Sky but let's not forget they have a great deal more investment because it is a minimum of 20 sobs a month for the end user, while Youview remains good value in my view, due to it being a not-for-profit organisation.
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:12PM

my father has Sky - and his recordings area is intuitive and resembles a list of recordings... 
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:14PM

I guess this week i will do some scouting around to test new TV options.... 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:19PM

Not anymore sky have went image based for sky q. Your dad must have a older box. Sky are only giving sky q out now which is image based like I said no lists.
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:22PM

By all means, competition is healthy, always worth exploring. I don't think the changes have made me as angry as some though. Maybe see if you feel the same way in a couple of months :-)
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:23PM

edited 17 April 2017, 6:23PM

like i say - this week will be homework - i hate the new myTv area -