Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• FredyFredy Member Posts: 24
    edited 29 April 2017, 10:53AM
    Fredy said:

There seems to be an issue here in that if tiles are implemented correctly then it can be easy to navigate. The issue for YouView is that it's implemented this 'update' very badly and omitted features that existed before and people liked such as 'hide channels and action panel'. If they say they can be put back OK then why omit them in the first place. Very poor implementation and testing.

The topic is YouView has gone from hero to zero. Bet BT and talktalk aren't happy that their customers are annoyed.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:33PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Following your valuable feedback on MyTV there are a number of improvements that will be rolled out to your box shortly.

These include;

•    Easier navigation with a new layout of 12 equally sized, larger scale tiles
    •    See more of the programme title and details with the new larger tiles
    •    Start at the beginning of a series folder as we now land you on your first recorded episode
    •    And in addition, the main menu will now timeout after 30 seconds so you can get back to watching your favourite shows quicker

The phased rollout of the updates to MyTV start shortly. We will let you know as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Phil

Trevor, the ability to move more quickly does not change the existing policy which can be summarised as you will know about it when it arrives.

Chris A Wright, are than any other platforms which offer selectable options?
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:36PM
    Fredy said:

There seems to be an issue here in that if tiles are implemented correctly then it can be easy to navigate. The issue for YouView is that it's implemented this 'update' very badly and omitted features that existed before and people liked such as 'hide channels and action panel'. If they say they can be put back OK then why omit them in the first place. Very poor implementation and testing.

Um, no it isn't. Are you assuming that because you don't like the changes then no-one else does either?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Hi everyone. The tiles are staying. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • thebearhouse.4thebearhouse.4 Member Posts: 16
    edited 20 April 2017, 2:44PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Following your valuable feedback on MyTV there are a number of improvements that will be rolled out to your box shortly.

These include;

•    Easier navigation with a new layout of 12 equally sized, larger scale tiles
    •    Start at the beginning of a series folder as we now land you on your first recorded episode
    •    And in addition, the main menu will now timeout after 30 seconds so you can get back to watching your favourite shows quicker

The phased rollout of the updates to MyTV start shortly. We will let you know as soon as possible.

Phil

YES - lots of platforms allow selectable options. Is "redchiz" one of the developers? He/she seems to spend a lot of time defending something which is generating a LOT of complaints.
  • momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:41PM
    momist said:

"•    Start at the beginning of a series folder as we now land you on your first recorded episode"
    So - the 'fix' will be for us to come back to the _first_ episode in our series record.  I guess that we might not want to delete that, ifwe  are intent on keeping the whole series.  I doubt that we will want to watch it again, either.  More likely, we will now have to scroll forwards through your recorded series looking for the next _unwatched_ episode.  Is that any better?
    It will work for me, as I often don't start watching a series until there are a few weeks already recorded, and I _do_ generally delete them once watched, but not always.  I would have thought if it were to be changed, it should be changed to take you back to the episode you have just watched, like it used to . . .

Spam?  Really?  I had notification from YV that there was such a topic, and replied to it.  I also said the same thing here - sorry if you don't like simple duplication.  I am not a bot.  I did not send it out to every name in my address book, or everyone on FB or on YV or individually to each poster here or . . . anyone else, actually.
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:43PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

Hes a he and no he isn't. All YouView employees have a YV symbol as their avatar apart from Stephen, who kindly posts on here on his own time.
    And the tiles are staying.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:44PM
    Fredy said:

Hi Fredy - whilst there has been largely negative feedback on this forum, I would suspect an official answer from TalkTalk and BT would be that they are very pleased with the next gen system, after all they will have had the final say on its roll out to their user bases and should have been aware of all the pre-release feedback (which one might expect to be along the lines of my first impressions summary) on which they would then base their decision to release (as opposed to say holding off for 6 months to give time to address the various points raised that might arguably have made for a better system that was acceptable to even more people).

It is good to see the first glimmers of updates being announced, let's hope more will follow in due course to smooth off the various rough edges and fill in the gaps :)
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:45PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

Hey giffgaff man/woman, name them.
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:48PM
    momist said:

"•    Start at the beginning of a series folder as we now land you on your first recorded episode"
    So - the 'fix' will be for us to come back to the _first_ episode in our series record.  I guess that we might not want to delete that, ifwe  are intent on keeping the whole series.  I doubt that we will want to watch it again, either.  More likely, we will now have to scroll forwards through your recorded series looking for the next _unwatched_ episode.  Is that any better?
    It will work for me, as I often don't start watching a series until there are a few weeks already recorded, and I _do_ generally delete them once watched, but not always.  I would have thought if it were to be changed, it should be changed to take you back to the episode you have just watched, like it used to . . .

It may just be the forum software and lack of moderation of course. But posting the same thing on multiple topics is generally regarded as spam, rather than "simple duplication." I replied on your other version.
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 76
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:14PM
    Visionman said:

Always thought they would, but still can't get why they don't just give us an option for lists.
    edited 18 April 2017, 5:59PM
    Visionman said:

Because most people don't want to go back there, have you considered that?

• Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:01PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

redchiz -  the ability to move more quickly does not change the existing policy which can be summarised as you will know about it when it arrives.- is that the official version ?
  • Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 19 April 2017, 2:18PM
    Visionman said:

Most don't want to go back - questionable on the number and the view that it is going back - but many, many do want the lists functionality - lets have both options
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:14PM
    Visionman said:

It would be lovely if every software gave every option that suited every single person. Unfortunately there are money, resource and commercial reasons why that doesn't happen.
    No recent TV based UI gives list options and they all have millions of users, like it or loath it graphic views are the future....probably ;-)
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:11PM
    Chris A. said:

What;s this referring to?  "the main menu will now timeout after 30 seconds", Is it that ridiculous black bar?

Aren't all the tiles 'contextual"?  :)

Last November /December a lot of the publicity published was referring to the tiles on the main menu as 'shortcuts' and some even went so far as to call a group of tiles on the main menu as the 'shortcut bar' (e.g. in one of the quotes of what David Kelly of BT Sport had to say).

These were the tiles that were referred to in the context of "less clicking and more watching".
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:47AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

A green circle around someone's avatar and little flag next to their name (and being in this user list) is the official designator of being an employee. There are no undercover ones to my knowledge and there is no astroturfing conspiracy (though I guess you have to trust me on that one).

Sanj and Phil have a Y logo and it's part of their roles in the Viewer Support team to post here. Myself, Morgan and Piers are technical staff and watch and post here during work and in our spare time, while it's not officially part of our roles, I personally believe it's important to have some form of technical representation or information directly available to users.
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:16PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

I'm glad that you said Morgan and Piers, rather than Piers and Morgan lol!
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:21PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

I did write them that way round then thought "wait, maybe not".
    p.s. no staff member uses a pseudonym, of well-hated motormouths or otherwise.

Yours,
    Clark Jeremyson
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:20PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

And most longer term users and myself appreciate you posting here Stephen. I been posting since last year and have never seen a post from the other two or if I have I have forgotten to be honest.
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:43PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

These include;

Phil

Yes, to see them on that link I posted you do have to push the GetSat visibility-o-meter back to 90 days / all time. They are both still alive and kicking here at YouView though.
  • thebearhouse.4thebearhouse.4 Member Posts: 16
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:46PM
    Visionman said:

When it comes to configurable options in software, have a look at Aquamail for Android. - A totally brilliant, highly configurable piece of software from someone who understands user needs. I know it's not a TV recorder/player, but it does illustrate how a good developer can provide options for users to configure the product to suit their needs. Having worked in the computer industry since 1967, it's easy to spot something which has been put together without consideration for a variety of user needs.
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:56PM
    Visionman said:

Terrific, but back to TV boxes?
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:14PM
    Visionman said:

chiz, I seriously wouldn't bother...
    YouView 2.0 is here to stay. Though its not been abusively around since 1967.
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:13PM
    Visionman said:

This is part of the problem. If trialists were 'bothered' other than fixated about tiles we may of had a product that was more user friendly. I am not saying that you visionman were one of those trialists as you have stated before that you are just a user like me.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:07PM
    Visionman said:

This platform is so locked down it could have ones balls constrained in a vice, and it was deliberately designed so. And with deliberate propitiatory reasons for doing so.

With abandonment, Freeview Play has opened up its GUI up to anyone that wants it, to which many have said 'Yes! we'll have some of that!', purely because its non-propitiatory, free and bolt-on to whichever and whatever device they see fit, be it good or bad, until they see fit to no longer support it.
    I honestly prefer YouViews model. As it has far more mileage, consistency and reliability, and it always will. 

Vm, do I take it you are an Apple fan, not a Linux fan?
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:09PM
    Visionman said:

This platform is so locked down it could have ones balls constrained in a vice, and it was deliberately designed so. And with deliberate propitiatory reasons for doing so.

With abandonment, Freeview Play has opened up its GUI up to anyone that wants it, to which many have said 'Yes! we'll have some of that!', purely because its non-propitiatory, free and bolt-on to whichever and whatever device they see fit, be it good or bad, until they see fit to no longer support it.
    I honestly prefer YouViews model. As it has far more mileage, consistency and reliability, and it always will. 

That makes no difference I'm a android phone fan but like youview and next gen.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 29 April 2017, 10:58PM
    Fredy said:

@Keith,
    I would suspect an official answer from TalkTalk and BT would be that they are very pleased with the next gen system
    I'm being cynical now - but I bet they are very pleased - they have a new platform to push adverts into a previously "clean" platform. I am of course referring to Simon Cook's comments regarding the introduction of “AdSmart-like capability to target ads to the set-top box” which will “deliver a lot of value to our shareholders”.
    Many people like their YV box because it enabled them to side-step the ads. The day ads appear in their programs isn't going to go down well on this forum, I predict.

Oh well, it was good whilst it lasted.
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:43PM
    Fredy said:

Of course that would assume that their customer base does not decrease.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 10:20PM
    Visionman said:

Triallists were asked to trial a version with tiles in. Feedback was given according to the individual perceptions and preferences of those triallists as to the reliability and usability of the software provided.

The cut-down functionality at this stage was largely a given, as you might expect, but suggestions as to the priority of given features for restoration were not verboten.

The release was not stopped until every item of feedback had been incorporated, or we would still be waiting. You may very well think that would have been a good thing; I couldn't possibly comment.

But it is an article of faith that the feedback given then and not able to be acted upon, plus the feedback subsequently given in this forum, informs YouView's thinking about the release plan for, and future direction of, NextGen.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris