Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:31PM
    Steve K said:

"Including commercial as well as technical considerations, of course - BT could hardly use Sky boxes :-) "

How strange that in the real world I've used my Sky Box to watch BT Sport for years.  

Of course that brings up the question why would I do that if my BT/Youview box was anything like comparable to a Sky Box?

I think we all know the answer.  And with 27.50 they made it even more emphatic

@Steve K I can't see anyone here defending any loss of functionality at all, far from it. I think we are all somewhat averse to simple deprecation without appreciation of all the facts,  or twisting words to suit ones own agenda though, whichever direction they may come from.

All platforms have functionality issues. But they do all start from a different premise.

BTW as someone who has recently found themselves grappling anew with Sky on behalf of another there is a way to skip, but not as obviously, neatly and flexibly as with YouView.
  • Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:02PM
    Trevor6 said:

Come on, I am embarrassed with all the negatives, can the devotees give us some hope ? It is 4 months since some minor updates - can we expect something better soon ? 

Thanks, it is shame none seem to have been ready for so long - but lets hope some are imminent
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:31PM
    Steve K said:

"Including commercial as well as technical considerations, of course - BT could hardly use Sky boxes :-) "

How strange that in the real world I've used my Sky Box to watch BT Sport for years.  

Of course that brings up the question why would I do that if my BT/Youview box was anything like comparable to a Sky Box?

Yes, we are all averse to simple deprecation without appreciation of all the facts.
    Sky Q is bug ridden, Sky Q silver even worse (not having a go there). Freeview Play has fallen flat on its face and is in no way a competitor to YouView and cable (Virgin/Liberty Global) are just a static force. I actually feel sorry for them, as they offer a 4K box with no 4K content on it, because BT and SKY have stitched up all the rights.
    The point I'm making is that despite your assertions Steve K & Grunders, no box or platform is perfect and they never will be.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:45PM
    Steve K said:

Who cares about other boxes, we are discussing youview. I bought a Youview box that was more than adequate ('perfect' for me) and youview downgraded it to an entry level experience and quality. And THAT is the point people are making and the fanboys are trying to defend (hell bent on denying people their voice of displeasure).
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:41PM
    Steve K said:

No no no. Thats exactly what this forum is for.
    edited 16 July 2017, 4:43PM
    Steve K said:

Hey @Grunders you gave a "well said" to another post flagging up all the marvellous things other boxes can apparently do, so you must care a bit?

And nobody is denying anyone a voice of displeasure, your many points are proof of that. The fact that others disagree seems to irk you somewhat though, that is another matter. Perhaps that is why you feel the need to descend into using what is generally regarded as a derogatory term such as fanboys?

edited 16 July 2017, 5:03PM
    Steve K said:

The point I'm making is that despite your assertions Steve K & Grunders, no box or platform is perfect and they never will be.......Thats exactly what this forum is for.
    Ah sorry, I misunderstood.  Perhaps they should rename the forum thread then to "Forum feedback on all freeview PVR boxes" or "Forum of positive feedback on Youview" or "A public Read-only forum feedback by Redchiz and Visionman"  instead of the current title "Forum feedback on MyTV in NextGen software." (The clue is in the title.)

"Feedback" doesnt mean 'exchange opinion' and "on MyTV in NextGen" doesnt mean 'comparisons with Sky or a.n.other'.   The choice of word in "Feedback" means 'tell us your thoughts and review' and is probably intended and useful only to Youview as they read them.  Defenses from fanboys or others against an individuals comments have no place by title definition nor makes any damned difference to anyone else opinions whatsoever and merely at best waste peoples time and at worse antagonise people even more than they already have been by the unwanted downgrade in the first place.  Especially when those fanboys are neither Youview or BT employees, or appointed moderators on behalf of the software and are merely volunteers (often well intended) that tend to just lose focus after having been involving themselves for so long.
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:04PM
    Steve K said:

Ohh.. bitter. I didn't realise only the complainers on here could have a voice. 
    edited 16 July 2017, 8:25PM
    Steve K said:

Right, thanks for making that clear. You just want to moan and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. Have you tried Twitter?
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:19PM
    Steve K said:

Grinders & Steve K - this is a social media forum, on which everyone is entitled to their opinion. But sorry you don't agree with that. And to slaughter either me or anyone else for having a different opinion to yours is just bang out of order. Its an internet forum. Opinions flourish. Get over it.
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:26PM
    Steve K said:

I've not enjoyed this exchange.
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:34PM
    Steve K said:

this is a social media forum, on which everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Couldnt have said it better.  So let people FEEDBACK their problems and dismay just as the thread title asks for, and stop replying to them with challenges and disapprovals to what they say.

As I said, its a FEEDBACK forum for Youview to read and take opinion (good or bad) from - It isnt a 'discussion' thread.
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:40PM
    Steve K said:

Stop shouting. This is not a feedback topic. It is a topic started by YouView in recognition of the feedback they had received in the early stages of NextGen, read the opening post.

It has evolved into a more general discussion, to rely on your narrow interpretation is wrong.
    edited 16 July 2017, 5:42PM
    Steve K said:

"As I said, its a FEEDBACK forum for Youview to read and take opinion (good or bad) from - It isnt a 'discussion' thread."
    Ohhh.. sorry.
    edited 16 July 2017, 6:19PM
    Steve K said:

This is not a feedback topic. ......, read the opening post
    ROFL!!   Now there's an own goal.  (Cheered me right up, that has.)
    edited 16 July 2017, 6:21PM
    Steve K said:

You don't get it do you? I bet you would laugh at a wheel turning round.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2017, 8:38PM
    Steve K said:

What YouView have done releasing NextGen in the state it is in (even with the ha'porth of improvements since first launch) is indefensible, and no-one can take away your right to say that, nor defend YouView's decision here.

What a number of posters, yourselves included, have done is to go so far over the top that you are making statements that YouView can be defended against, and in the interests of balance and fair play, such defences are being made.

This doesn't make us fanboys, just fairboys.

If you could kindly just stick to what is really wrong with NextGen (and heaven knows there is more than enough of that to go round) then you would find it has all been painstakingly enumerated by Keith on Day Zero, and there is nobody here who can or will disagree with it, and we will all get along just fine, seasoned forum users and newcomers alike.

This pudding is quite rich enough not to need over-egging :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 17 July 2017, 2:37PM
    Youview made it very clear that this was a feedback thread when they emailed me back after I complained about the loss in functionality and their email makes it very clear they expect and want discussion

Here's the email
    YouView Viewer Support

30/04/2017 10:24

Case No: 00121442: Next gen.    [ ref:_00Db0KOT8._500b0164twe:ref ]

Dear Steve,
    Thank you for contacting YouView Support.
    I am very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our most recent software update.
    Here at YouView we really do appreciate viewer feedback and rest assured I have raised your concerns with our development team about the next generation software. I do understand that the update is a big aesthetic change which at first can take some getting used to.
    With that in mind the most recent software your YouView box is running is still in a very early roll out phase.

Once the box has been successfully updated, there is no way to revert back to the previous software version.
    For that reason any feedback given is greatly appreciated. All feedback is passed to our development team directly and is closely monitored overall.
    Your concerns, which have been raised by other YouViewers, are taken on board but we have also received some positive feedback regarding the new interface. Coupled with new interface, the software upgrade will allow us to make changes quicker than ever. This means that some of the features many viewers loved such as the Discovery feature and editing channels (such as hiding) will return.

I would like to assure you that the change to the recordings layout is something that has been raised by a number of YouViewers, raising both positive and negative feedback.
    If you click on the link below, you can see that all the feedback points are being taken on board and are being addressed by our Support and Communications Managers.  There are in depth discussions with both positive and negative feedback which results in YouView being moulded into the perfect platform. This is only possible by receiving these feedback points, and we appreciate all points from our viewers. While it may take some time to implement, I can assure you these changes will be made in the future and better our device as a whole.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software
    In regards to some of the features being removed on the new software update, this is only the first role out of the new software and some of the features that have been removed will be back in the next software update. I cant give date or time frame when this will be released.
    We are always looking at ways to improve the product, especially in regards to feedback on these forums and through other channels. We aim to reinstate many features present in first gen, but sometimes they will return in a slightly different form, especially where we see scope for improvements or receive particularly strong feedback from users.

I would like to thank you for your feedback again. This will be passed over to the team, however, I would not be able to offer any time frame or go into the specifics of what changes will be in the next update.
    If you would like to give more feedback, then you can use our community forum where all feedback is direct to head office. I have provided a link below to our community forum:
    https://community.youview.com/youview
    Once again I would like to thank you for your email and the feedback points you have provided. 
    If there are any features, improvements or issues you would like to bring up regarding the new software, don’t hesitate to reply to this email.
    You can also reach our support team on: 0333 313 2278 and our lines are open Mon – Sat: 10am – 8pm, Sun: 10am – 5pm. 
    Alternatively our Live Chat Support service is available through our website: https://support.youview.com/ 

Kind Regards,
    Yes that really was nearly 80 days ago and still there is not even a hint that they will restore the lost functionality I've mentioned.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2017, 7:33AM
    Steve K said:

Youview made it very clear that this was a feedback thread when they emailed me back after I complained about the loss in functionality and their email makes it very clear they expect and want discussion

Here's the email

YouView Viewer Support

Dear Steve,
    I am very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our most recent software update.
    Here at YouView we really do appreciate viewer feedback and rest assured I have raised your concerns with our development team about the next generation software. I do understand that the update is a big aesthetic change which at first can take some getting used to.
    With that in mind the most recent software your YouView box is running is still in a very early roll out phase.

Once the box has been successfully updated, there is no way to revert back to the previous software version.
    For that reason any feedback given is greatly appreciated. All feedback is passed to our development team directly and is closely monitored overall.
    Your concerns, which have been raised by other YouViewers, are taken on board but we have also received some positive feedback regarding the new interface. Coupled with new interface, the software upgrade will allow us to make changes quicker than ever. This means that some of the features many viewers loved such as the Discovery feature and editing channels (such as hiding) will return.

I would like to assure you that the change to the recordings layout is something that has been raised by a number of YouViewers, raising both positive and negative feedback.
    If you click on the link below, you can see that all the feedback points are being taken on board and are being addressed by our Support and Communications Managers.  There are in depth discussions with both positive and negative feedback which results in YouView being moulded into the perfect platform. This is only possible by receiving these feedback points, and we appreciate all points from our viewers. While it may take some time to implement, I can assure you these changes will be made in the future and better our device as a whole.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software
    In regards to some of the features being removed on the new software update, this is only the first role out of the new software and some of the features that have been removed will be back in the next software update. I cant give date or time frame when this will be released.
    We are always looking at ways to improve the product, especially in regards to feedback on these forums and through other channels. We aim to reinstate many features present in first gen, but sometimes they will return in a slightly different form, especially where we see scope for improvements or receive particularly strong feedback from users.

I would like to thank you for your feedback again. This will be passed over to the team, however, I would not be able to offer any time frame or go into the specifics of what changes will be in the next update.
    If you would like to give more feedback, then you can use our community forum where all feedback is direct to head office. I have provided a link below to our community forum:
    Once again I would like to thank you for your email and the feedback points you have provided. 
    If there are any features, improvements or issues you would like to bring up regarding the new software, don’t hesitate to reply to this email.
    You can also reach our support team on: 0333 313 2278 and our lines are open Mon – Sat: 10am – 8pm, Sun: 10am – 5pm. 
    Alternatively our Live Chat Support service is available through our website: https://support.youview.com/ 

Kind Regards,
    Yes that really was nearly 80 days ago and still there is not even a hint that they will restore the lost functionality I've mentioned.  Yes, YouView expect and want discussion.

But you expect and want action.

I perceive a disconnect here.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 17 July 2017, 9:41AM
    Steve K said:

Here's the email

YouView Viewer Support

Dear Steve,

Kind Regards,
    Yes that really was nearly 80 days ago and still there is not even a hint that they will restore the lost functionality I've mentioned.  And you have read that wrongly: If you click on the link below, you can see that all the feedback points are being taken on board and are being addressed by our Support and Communications Managers.

They go on to give you a further, generic link to the forums for further feedback.

Got it now?
    edited 17 July 2017, 10:26AM
    Steve K said:

Here's the email

YouView Viewer Support

Dear Steve,

Kind Regards,
    Yes that really was nearly 80 days ago and still there is not even a hint that they will restore the lost functionality I've mentioned.  Yes I want action because I want material damage to my PVR fixed.  Is that unreasonable?

And it is very obvious that their Support and Communication managers are not addressing the square root of ZIp on this.  Looks like they paid for an update and didn't do the basics of managing software contracts and now the budget is spent so all they can get is bug fixes to a design that meets a specification that was wrong.

And all the time people say "but I love the tiles" or "why don't you just stick with Sky" nothing will happen
    edited 17 July 2017, 10:58AM
    "Material damage?" Good grief.

Let's take a closer look at your list.

- removed ability to set a start from time when replaying a recording.
    Indeed. But this isn't a feature on Sky either, despite what you claim. And zipping back and further along the timeline is pretty quick to be fair.

- removed ability to see how much time is left on the live TV pause buffer
    I don't really understand this point. There has always been a maximum of two hours. And the timeline on the buffer shows the start point, which is surely more useful. Again, I can't see any significant difference from Sky.

- removed ability to see (in a list) which season recordings have the most episodes to indicate which to delete first to get disk space back
    I don't understand this either, save for the list objection. If you click on a series tile it tells you how many episodes are there. You don't get that with Sky.

-  inability to stop the recorder going into standby overnight meaning you wake to no live TV buffer
    Don't understand this again, sorry, you have to have any box on in order for the live TV buffer to be working.

- inability to download 'catch up TV' programmes in the background so (a) live TV isn't interrupted and (b) you can view them as peer recordings
    As I mentioned earlier, that is hardly an "inability" it reflects the YouView box's ability to stream catch up and On Demand content, something which most connected devices can do, save for the Sky box of course which doesn't really do On Demand at all, you have to download it first. Not advantageous for anyone who seems concerned about deleting stuff to get disk space back. Nor for anyone who seeks to use all the features of the excellent BBC iPlayer.

There has been much discussion here and I imagine elsewhere over the years about the "holy grail" of devices, which will do it all. That sadly doesn't exist and seems less likely to as competition continually hots up. My best advice would be to find a PVR you are happy with and then add-on such peripheral devices as an Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV etc. Having done so myself I believe I have the best of all worlds. And am happy to enjoy my TV viewing in the main rather than moaning about it all the time.  :)
    edited 24 July 2017, 6:30PM

Indeed. But this isn't a feature on Sky either, despite what you claim. And zipping back and forwards along the timeline is pretty quick to be fair.

- removed ability to see how much time is left on the live TV pause buffer
    I don't really understand this point. There has always been a maximum of two hours. And the timeline on the buffer shows the start point, which is surely more useful. Again, I can't see any significant difference from Sky.

- removed ability to see (in a list) which season recordings have the most episodes to indicate which to delete first to get disk space back
    I don't understand this either, save for the list objection. If you click on a series tile it tells you how many episodes are there. You don't get that with Sky.

-  inability to stop the recorder going into standby overnight meaning you wake to no live TV buffer
    Don't understand this again, sorry, you have to have any box on in order for the live TV buffer to be working.

- inability to download 'catch up TV' programmes in the background so (a) live TV isn't interrupted and (b) you can view them as peer recordings
    As I mentioned earlier, that is hardly an "inability" it reflects the YouView box's ability to stream catch up and On Demand content, something which most connected devices can do, save for the Sky box of course which doesn't really do On Demand at all, you have to download it first. Not advantageous for anyone who seems concerned about deleting stuff to get disk space back. Nor for anyone who seeks to use all the features of the excellent BBC iPlayer.

There has been much discussion here and I imagine elsewhere over the years about the "holy grail" of devices, which will do it all. That sadly doesn't exist and seems less likely to as competition continually hots up. My best advice would be to find a PVR you are happy with and then add-on such peripheral devices as an Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV etc. Having done so myself I believe I have the best of all worlds. And am happy to enjoy my TV viewing in the main rather than moaning about it all the time.  :)
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    First post in many a long time - and just quickly reading through the thirty-odd posts above more than justifies my decision to stop attending this forum. What a complete waste of time. If I was interested in this sort of thing I'd go to a boxing match. There was a time when I enjoyed my daily dip into it this forum - no longer.
    edited 17 July 2017, 12:20PM
    redchiz said:

Indeed. But this isn't a feature on Sky either, despite what you claim. And zipping back and forwards along the timeline is pretty quick to be fair.

- removed ability to see (in a list) which season recordings have the most episodes to indicate which to delete first to get disk space back

-  inability to stop the recorder going into standby overnight meaning you wake to no live TV buffer

You what?

Have you ever seen a Sky box?  Seems not but you'll post wild guesses as supposed facts

When you press Play for a recording it ALWAYS asks you if you want to play it from the start, the end or select a time from

And you are plain wrong about on demand on a Sky box.  You can stream the recording when (as with Youview) sufficient buffer has downloaded.  But unlike Youview you can download while watching another programme.  Looks very much like an inability to me even if not to you.

And it seems you do not understand the imposed standby.  The BT box has always had this flaw that they could have fixed.  TiVo doesn't have it, Sky don't have such an imposition but YouView yet again went for 2nd division functionality
    edited 17 July 2017, 12:25PM

First post in many a long time - and just quickly reading through the thirty-odd posts above more than justifies my decision to stop attending this forum. What a complete waste of time. If I was interested in this sort of thing I'd go to a boxing match. There was a time when I enjoyed my daily dip into it this forum - no longer.

Have to agree

I've tried to post objectively laid out facts but I've been attacked because I also have Sky and I've got plain sick of posters posting untruths about the functionality and treating me as an idiot because I don't share their misconceptions (see my last comment above)
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 17 July 2017, 12:40PM

I have to agree with Churchwardens post also. Hardly ever post anything now, still look at least once a day, because of the inevitable 'You said this', 'Did you mean that' or 'I don't understand the factual observation you posted' type of response you can see amongst the forum.

I tend to post my observations as I find them and then immediately 'unfollow' the thread so as not to get my inbox full of turgid rubbish. I will do so again as soon as this is posted.

edited 17 July 2017, 1:01PM
    redchiz said:

Ah, you must be using an old Sky box, I am referencing Sky Q, something else for you to become disappointed with. And I stand by my point about streaming, Sky don't do it and have never done it.
    edited 17 July 2017, 1:02PM
    redchiz said:

Ah, you must be using an old Sky box, I am referencing Sky Q, something else for you to become disappointed with. And I stand by my point about streaming, Sky don't do it and have never done it.

And I don't understand what you mean by "imposed standby," perhaps you would be good enough to explain?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2017, 9:26PM
    redchiz said:

I agree with redchiz about the Sky q not being able to pick a start from time, it annoys the hell out of me that now both my Sky q and now my YouView box have to ff for ages to get to a point I want to play.
    It also doesn't stream but will play when there is enough downloaded to stay ahead ( by its reckoning although this can vary if you connection gets busy and you end up reaching the end of what's downloaded before the end of the programme).
    This happens with streaming also and I do agree to the benefits of the Sky system downloading