Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

"Material damage?" Good grief.

Let's take a closer look at your list.

- removed ability to set a start from time when replaying a recording.
    Indeed. But this isn't a feature on Sky either, despite what you claim. And zipping back and forwards along the timeline is pretty quick to be fair.

- removed ability to see how much time is left on the live TV pause buffer
    I don't really understand this point. There has always been a maximum of two hours. And the timeline on the buffer shows the start point, which is surely more useful. Again, I can't see any significant difference from Sky.

- removed ability to see (in a list) which season recordings have the most episodes to indicate which to delete first to get disk space back
    I don't understand this either, save for the list objection. If you click on a series tile it tells you how many episodes are there. You don't get that with Sky.

-  inability to stop the recorder going into standby overnight meaning you wake to no live TV buffer
    Don't understand this again, sorry, you have to have any box on in order for the live TV buffer to be working.

- inability to download 'catch up TV' programmes in the background so (a) live TV isn't interrupted and (b) you can view them as peer recordings
    As I mentioned earlier, that is hardly an "inability" it reflects the YouView box's ability to stream catch up and On Demand content, something which most connected devices can do, save for the Sky box of course which doesn't really do On Demand at all, you have to download it first. Not advantageous for anyone who seems concerned about deleting stuff to get disk space back. Nor for anyone who seeks to use all the features of the excellent BBC iPlayer.

There has been much discussion here and I imagine elsewhere over the years about the "holy grail" of devices, which will do it all. That sadly doesn't exist and seems less likely to as competition continually hots up. My best advice would be to find a PVR you are happy with and then add-on such peripheral devices as an Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV etc. Having done so myself I believe I have the best of all worlds. And am happy to enjoy my TV viewing in the main rather than moaning about it all the time.  :)

@scott I find that Sky Q is quicker when it comes to picking a spot in a recording, if you pause and then press and hold the left/right directional key. I have just tested that on a 1h40m recording and got from start to finish in 8 seconds.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

Indeed. But this isn't a feature on Sky either, despite what you claim. And zipping back and forwards along the timeline is pretty quick to be fair.

I don't really understand this point. There has always been a maximum of two hours. And the timeline on the buffer shows the start point, which is surely more useful. Again, I can't see any significant difference from Sky.

- removed ability to see (in a list) which season recordings have the most episodes to indicate which to delete first to get disk space back
    I don't understand this either, save for the list objection. If you click on a series tile it tells you how many episodes are there. You don't get that with Sky.

-  inability to stop the recorder going into standby overnight meaning you wake to no live TV buffer
    Don't understand this again, sorry, you have to have any box on in order for the live TV buffer to be working.

- inability to download 'catch up TV' programmes in the background so (a) live TV isn't interrupted and (b) you can view them as peer recordings
    As I mentioned earlier, that is hardly an "inability" it reflects the YouView box's ability to stream catch up and On Demand content, something which most connected devices can do, save for the Sky box of course which doesn't really do On Demand at all, you have to download it first. Not advantageous for anyone who seems concerned about deleting stuff to get disk space back. Nor for anyone who seeks to use all the features of the excellent BBC iPlayer.

There has been much discussion here and I imagine elsewhere over the years about the "holy grail" of devices, which will do it all. That sadly doesn't exist and seems less likely to as competition continually hots up. My best advice would be to find a PVR you are happy with and then add-on such peripheral devices as an Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV etc. Having done so myself I believe I have the best of all worlds. And am happy to enjoy my TV viewing in the main rather than moaning about it all the time.  :)

Thanks redchiz will try that.

Again as per the motogp on BT I find it is when I want to get to the qualy in F1 that's it irritates me the most.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Steve K said:

Youview made it very clear that this was a feedback thread when they emailed me back after I complained about the loss in functionality and their email makes it very clear they expect and want discussion

Here's the email

YouView Viewer Support

30/04/2017 10:24

Case No: 00121442: Next gen.    [ ref:_00Db0KOT8._500b0164twe:ref ]

Dear Steve,
    Thank you for contacting YouView Support.
    I am very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our most recent software update.
    Here at YouView we really do appreciate viewer feedback and rest assured I have raised your concerns with our development team about the next generation software. I do understand that the update is a big aesthetic change which at first can take some getting used to.
    With that in mind the most recent software your YouView box is running is still in a very early roll out phase.

Once the box has been successfully updated, there is no way to revert back to the previous software version.
    For that reason any feedback given is greatly appreciated. All feedback is passed to our development team directly and is closely monitored overall.
    Your concerns, which have been raised by other YouViewers, are taken on board but we have also received some positive feedback regarding the new interface. Coupled with new interface, the software upgrade will allow us to make changes quicker than ever. This means that some of the features many viewers loved such as the Discovery feature and editing channels (such as hiding) will return.

I would like to assure you that the change to the recordings layout is something that has been raised by a number of YouViewers, raising both positive and negative feedback.
    If you click on the link below, you can see that all the feedback points are being taken on board and are being addressed by our Support and Communications Managers.  There are in depth discussions with both positive and negative feedback which results in YouView being moulded into the perfect platform. This is only possible by receiving these feedback points, and we appreciate all points from our viewers. While it may take some time to implement, I can assure you these changes will be made in the future and better our device as a whole.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software
    In regards to some of the features being removed on the new software update, this is only the first role out of the new software and some of the features that have been removed will be back in the next software update. I cant give date or time frame when this will be released.
    We are always looking at ways to improve the product, especially in regards to feedback on these forums and through other channels. We aim to reinstate many features present in first gen, but sometimes they will return in a slightly different form, especially where we see scope for improvements or receive particularly strong feedback from users.

I would like to thank you for your feedback again. This will be passed over to the team, however, I would not be able to offer any time frame or go into the specifics of what changes will be in the next update.
    If you would like to give more feedback, then you can use our community forum where all feedback is direct to head office. I have provided a link below to our community forum:
    https://community.youview.com/youview
    Once again I would like to thank you for your email and the feedback points you have provided. 
    If there are any features, improvements or issues you would like to bring up regarding the new software, don’t hesitate to reply to this email.
    You can also reach our support team on: 0333 313 2278 and our lines are open Mon – Sat: 10am – 8pm, Sun: 10am – 5pm. 
    Alternatively our Live Chat Support service is available through our website: https://support.youview.com/ 

Kind Regards,
    Yes that really was nearly 80 days ago and still there is not even a hint that they will restore the lost functionality I've mentioned.  To my certain knowledge, that is total ****.

A sensible conversation with you is seemingly impossible, though I tried.

Regretfully, I shall attempt to reason with you no further.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited July 2017

First post in many a long time - and just quickly reading through the thirty-odd posts above more than justifies my decision to stop attending this forum. What a complete waste of time. If I was interested in this sort of thing I'd go to a boxing match. There was a time when I enjoyed my daily dip into it this forum - no longer.

With a few exceptions, of which this thread is currently one, the Community has calmed down now, and while there is discontented muttering still, naturally, most people you can have a sensible back and forth with.

Just 'most', not 'all'
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited July 2017

First post in many a long time - and just quickly reading through the thirty-odd posts above more than justifies my decision to stop attending this forum. What a complete waste of time. If I was interested in this sort of thing I'd go to a boxing match. There was a time when I enjoyed my daily dip into it this forum - no longer.

Unfortunately I can't agree with you Roy.  There is a self-appointed hardcore of posters on the forum who leap on any post that is critical of YouView in any way. Woe betide the poster who responds, once taken to task. If they maintains their views, then others will predictably pile in, in what can only be described as group bullying.  It has become totally predictable, both the response, and those who respond in this way. Their attitude is 'we will challenge, nitpick, criticise wording, hound and badger you, until you either retract what you said and accept our total authority, or just clear off. If that doesn't work, then we'll resort to undermining personal comments.' And that 'self-appointed group' consists of about a handful, and will always be seen stalking a critical post, like a pride of lions round a wounded animal - trying to pick it off through attrition. It is quite distasteful behaviour, and a far cry from the forum I knew years ago. 
    edited July 2017

You mean like when someone attempts a perfectly civil discourse with yourself and you reply "if you say so?"
    edited July 2017

I know what you mean, like having what seems like a perfectly civil discourse with someone only for them to respond "if you say so."
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited July 2017

QED
    edited July 2017

What are your views on the occasional pompous, self-righteous arbiter of forum behaviour who pops up now and again to tell others what they are doing wrong. Unpleasant, isn't it?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've been very disappointed to read some of the comments above. Particularly the ones from churchwarden & LloydofLondon, for whom I have the deepest respect. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2017

I know what you mean, like having what seems like a perfectly civil discourse with someone only for them to respond "if you say so."
    QED
    Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  (It's like taking candy off a baby.)

Here comes another one folks...
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Thanks a bunch redchiz
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

I've been very disappointed to read some of the comments above. Particularly the ones from churchwarden & LloydofLondon, for whom I have the deepest respect. 

Thanks Visionman for the vote of confidence.
    My next post will probably be an observation about the BT Humax update when it arrives on my box any day now.
    As I've posted on another thread Software updates, for some reason, announce themselves with the IP6023 error message.
    My current bugbear, again posted on a different thread, is that I had to factory reset my tablet & after reinstalling the Youview app there is nowhere on the Youview box settings to 'connect' further devices. There is just nothing in the box settings that will allow further devises to be connected. Not a problem as I can still set recordings & reminders via my mobile. But with Talk Talk relaunching their App very soon (I've played with a working prototype at Talk Talk Towers [that's all I'm saying]) it is imperative that this issue gets sorted asap IMHO.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

So your a trialist? OMG thats hilarious! 
    TT TV on the go... :)
    Hey, we all want to help. :)
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

re Redchiz
    Ah, you must be using an old Sky box, I am referencing Sky Q, something else for you to become disappointed with. .
    Yes I deliberately chose to stick with the Sky HD system.  Sky-Q has issues but not the one you say.  Were you the one who said it didn't do lists

See http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/How-do-you-choose-the-start-time-of-a-recording-when-playing-back/...
    And I stand by my point about streaming, Sky don't do it and have never done it
    So I'm imagining it am I?  I select a programme to download within a minute it is ready to watch while it continues to download.  Sure looks like I'm watching a stream.
    And I don't understand what you mean by "imposed standby," perhaps you would be good enough to explain?
    Yes the Youview box goes into eco standby in the middle of the night so first thing in the morning very annoyingly there is no live TV buffer.  Sky defaults to such faux eco behaviour but you can easily disable it.  Been a flaw in BT Vision/Youview for years.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

LoL

You don't initiate device connection from the YouView box any more, you initiate it from the device.

So as long as you are on a sufficiently recent release of iOS, on an Apple device, to download the currently supported iOS YouView app, or likewise on an Android device, you just download the app to the device, and pair from there.

The number of devices you can now pair, on NextGen, Stephen informs us, is effectively unlimited.

I guess we all have a drawerful of devices stranded by Apple on an old version of the OS, though. And it will be more than just the YouView app you can no longer use on them :-(

So that is something you need to take up with Apple, or maybe the powers that be while we are still in the EU, not just with YouView.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Thanks lloydoflondon for the heads up about an imminent app upgrade. Time to backup my current app and disable autoupdating before they downgrade that as well. I dread to think how that will end up.

(Here come the defenders. ....)
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

@Steve K No you are watching a recording not a stream. You can start playing what has already recorded even before the download has finished but you are still just watching the recorded part from the hard drive not a stream. Subtle difference.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

A smidgeon of clarification first, though, Grunders.

You run the TalkTalk mobile app?

You are apprehensive that an update will break it?
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

I use the youview app and yes I fear the 'upgrade' will be anything but. I prefer it the way it is just as I did the old youview interface. (Why would I have the talktalk app?)
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

The comment very defintly talks about the TalkTalk app. Your comment could be seen as making trouble about something completely unrelated but how dare anybody suggest such a thing
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Correct.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Correct.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

@Grunders: The YouView app will only be adding features for the foreseeable future, there is no redesign/rework/re-jig planned if that is what concerns you. The only thing that is being removed is the option to use a code to pair with your box, because the Next-Gen UI doesn't provide a way to create the pairing code, and old-style pairing is being phased out, as per other threads on the matter.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Thank you Stephen. Yes they are my concerns (based on the recent experiences.)
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Visionman- with regard to Churchwarden particularly, are you disappointed because you think he is right, or because you think he is wrong?

With me it is firmly the latter; there is no kneejerk reaction that I have seen to every critical post - otherwise there would be literally thousands of them, Canute-like, trying in vain to beat back an engulfing tide of justified comment from the rightfully angry.

But, just as Churchwarden spoils his point by saying 'any post' instead of the much more measured 'some posts', so there are people here who go too far in what they say, and, alas, seem more interested in ranting and being insulting than in having a reasoned debate.

It is regrettable if they get monstered for that (if that is even what is happening) but such posters are hardly lambs led to the slaughter, but those who are as perfectly capable of taking it as they are of dishing it out. Or at least, they should be.
    edited July 2017
    Visionman said:

Roy
    It is disappointing a long standing member of the forum chooses to defend ranters. And I'm not impressed by such a stance, as it is a wrong one.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

@Steve K: I am not sure if this is what you are referring to by Imposed Standby, but -

Auto-standby can be increased to twelve hours in Settings>Power and Stand-by.

The Smart Power Mode parameters can be changed, or Smart Mode can be turned off altogether.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited July 2017

Hide Channels (or not as the case is at the moment).

Please bring back asap the ability to hide channels. This was something us original testers requested 5 years ago.

My EPG has now been invaded by a shopping channel, in the 200's (streaming services), where I have previously hidden all the shopping, text and 'adult' services, I fear that when the national August EPG reshuffle comes about I'll experience a further invasion of unwanted channels, without the ability to hide them.

In an ideal world deleting them forever was always my preferred option for us trialists way back in the day.

And another two channels appear on my EPG in the 'Streamed Channels' section in the 200's. If these are going to unavailable to Youview boxes I'd like to be able to hide them from the EPG, as we could on the old software version before this 'next gen' was foisted upon us hapless Youview box owners.
    I really don't understand how taking away functionality can improve something, especially when this function was one of the very first shouted about how we need on the original trials 5 years ago.
    edited July 2017

Hide Channels (or not as the case is at the moment).

Please bring back asap the ability to hide channels. This was something us original testers requested 5 years ago.

My EPG has now been invaded by a shopping channel, in the 200's (streaming services), where I have previously hidden all the shopping, text and 'adult' services, I fear that when the national August EPG reshuffle comes about I'll experience a further invasion of unwanted channels, without the ability to hide them.

In an ideal world deleting them forever was always my preferred option for us trialists way back in the day.

You've never seen an old building knocked down so a new one can rise in its place, rather than trying to refurbish the unrefurbishable?

Mind you, people aren't usually expected to move into the new house before the upstairs is built, or the roof put on :-)