Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 23 March 2017, 2:12AM
    Visionman said:

Image result for bbc iplayer menu

Yes, those who like it should be grateful, those who had a working system beforehand should be.........
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 2:20AM
    Visionman said:

It is sadly a feature of this Not Sat forum software that these comments (and not Replies) are going to get swallowed up and compressed, to the extent that the majority of users on here won't even read them. Which is a pity. I guess nothings perfect...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 2:23AM
    Visionman said:

Of course that's my opinion and my voice is obviously one of many on these forums as of late. While I know many won't thank them because there annoyed about the update i in my opinion think they should. Youview rebuilt the platform from the gound up and given time this will go from the fantastic system it is now to the worlds best PVR im confident of that I just wish more would give chance for the rollout to finish so updates can start happing. Obviously I really like the next gen software I find it easier to use in my opinion it is easier to use.

I feel frustrated by the shear amount of people are not giving it the chance it deserves. Anything new can take some people time to adjust and get used to it.
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Daniel>
    "I feel frustrated by the shear amount of people are not giving it the chance it deserves."
    Don't be. 
    Daniel, as an internet forum user, one has to accept that they will come across many people who hold and have a different opinion to theirs, and as such whilst one may disagree with that opinion, they have to be respectful to the user who said it.

Or as is often said - 'by all means disagree with the opinion, but never attack the user for saying it.'
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 11:20PM
    Visionman said:

If people do do the research and wish to summarise what they find I would suggest they could add it to the topic on alternatives to YouView.

I would expect if one limits such a discussion to currently available off the shelf products that are offering a mainly freeview like service then the choice is probably limited to YouView vs Freeview Play boxes. So far it seems whilst Freeview Play has some good features it also has short comings such that for me YouView (even with its lost functionality and utility now) is likely to still be the best choice.

Overall though I would say a product should initially aim to be best in class, but having achieved that it should set higher objectives to be the best it can (reasonably) be. At present YouView can be argued to have reached the former level but it would seem well within their reach to push on to the latter. The bulk of the issues listed in my first impressions post are things I would expect could be addressed within 6 months if there were the agreement to do so. I would not expect the code nor time to address each one to be particularly lengthy and hence to tackle these points would be a proportionate and appropriate response. Having done so would arguably make the product better for all and something YouView (and its partners/stakeholders) would then highlight and leverage to further expand the user base. Along the way they should also revisit the various requests and ideas raised over the last almost 5 years, and of course documented for our and their ease in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

If YouView cannot do the above but another product can then no doubt some/many of us will happily migrate elsewhere ;-)
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:32AM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    "I feel frustrated by the shear amount of people are not giving it the chance it deserves."
    Don't be. 
    Daniel, as an internet forum user, one has to accept that they will come across many people who hold and have a different opinion to theirs, and as such whilst one may disagree with that opinion, they have to be respectful to the user who said it.

Or as is often said - 'by all means disagree with the opinion, but never attack the user for saying it.'

As an observer of much of the conversation that has taken place on these forums, it seems to me that there are some genuine, and understandable gripes with the new UI. However, it also appears that there is lot of knee jerk overreaction to change. It is, after all, only TV in the same way that football is just a game. I think people need to get a little more perspective, there are bigger problems in the world.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:34AM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    Don't be. 

Exactly. I just hope people share a thought for the victims of yesterday's terror attack instead of complaining too much.
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:39AM
    Visionman said:

Thanks Keith, helpful input and I will share my initial findings within that forum although I feel a little uncomfortable in using a Youview forum for this purpose.
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:57AM
    Visionman said:

Oh don't be. On this forum there are many individual threads talking about either new products or indeed, direct head-to-head rivals to YouView.
    In the top right corner of this page there is a search box. Just type 'youview killer' into it and see what comes up. You may be surprised. :) 
  • DavidBDavidB Member Posts: 69
    edited 23 March 2017, 7:16PM
    Anaglypta said:

@DavidB

DavidB said ...

Keep it simple, one way(the third way) would be to use a layout similar to the programme guide with tiles replacing the channel headers and the recording details replacing the channel listings, 
    I use Plex Media Server to manage my content, and what you describe is mirrored in plex. Default view is "Poster View"

A quick click on the grid icon ......

.....allows you to select "List View"

Which I think is exactly what you are describing. Plex also allows you to sort and filter your content in multiple ways including unwatched, recently added, by date, by name etc.

NOTE to YouView this is in HTML5 - No excuses!

John.

These are images in the MyBT youview app, and show that this problem has been thought about previously by BT, and they chose to display both tile & list, for a greater customer choice.

edited 12 April 2017, 8:41PM
    PhilStation>
    "As an observer of much of the conversation that has taken place on these forums, it seems to me that there are some genuine, and understandable gripes with the new UI. However, it also appears that there is lot of knee jerk overreaction to change."
    Yes thats true. But if one thinks about the 1000 new users who have come on here just to complain about NextGen, the new design is quite radical. And in need of much improvement.
  • fre55diefre55die Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 1:25AM
    Visionman said:

I'd just like to recommend that if you have a forward thinking attitude, are willing to try new things and are prepared to give up your own time to provide feature testing activities and feedback, becoming a trialist can be a a very rewarding activity.
    Be warned though, the majority of people on the trials forum like the tiles, with a tweak or two here or there, of course. :)

Apart from the BIG box on the top left being on ALL pages !!!
    edited 24 March 2017, 1:53AM
    Visionman said:

I'd just like to recommend that if you have a forward thinking attitude, are willing to try new things and are prepared to give up your own time to provide feature testing activities and feedback, becoming a trialist can be a a very rewarding activity.
    Be warned though, the majority of people on the trials forum like the tiles, with a tweak or two here or there, of course. :)

Tut tut... have you fed that back? And your getting a TalkTalk fix on tuesday!
    Nice. 
    edited 1 April 2017, 11:00PM
    Visionman said:

Yes, well before this forum link started, also the list view !!. Christmas is coming too about the fix, Was supposed to be this week !!!!!
    edited 24 March 2017, 4:26AM
    Visionman said:

I embrace reasonable change and was going to Email Richard for an official comment but did a quick calculation and it's only about 50 moans (probably less as multi posting on different topics !!), a lot of which are down to a bad launch I.e.no full information given to customers which is down to BT and to an element TT of a project in work.

I think that I know what the finished product will achieve (I hope !!) and the clients refuse to accept that this is the basic platform which will be built upon when it is proven to be stable !!!!

What people refuse to take on board is that this is about what YV1 was when it was first launched.!! And that all the various frills have been added subsequently. I must confesss that people are whinging about the loss of some things I didn't even know existed !!

edited 24 March 2017, 4:57AM
    Daniel4 said:

If you dump the tiles I will dump youview into the nearest skip. I had issues with my view lists I have vision issues and sometimes struggled to see the text in the list view of youview classic. I'm managing to find my recordings a lot better and don't have to ask my wife to find a specific recording now. If you go back to the terrible list view only I mean it I will dump youview. A option in the settings would be good to specify if you want list view or tiles then you please everyone. Please keep the tiles. My TV is my favorite feature of next gen.

Daniel

Yv is relatively basic, the added content by your provider just makes it a bit smarter.

The extra internet channels subscribed to are the only real difference between YV and freeview plus. Also the listings are down to the broadcaster NOT Youview so the daily updates of errors are completely unnecessary, post your complaints to the broadcaster as there is nothing YV can do about it.

It is annoying as I thought that I was recording Madam secretary on Sky living rather than an already watched Criminal Minds, but I'll live with it !!

edited 24 March 2017, 5:05AM
    Daniel4 said:

If you dump the tiles I will dump youview into the nearest skip. I had issues with my view lists I have vision issues and sometimes struggled to see the text in the list view of youview classic. I'm managing to find my recordings a lot better and don't have to ask my wife to find a specific recording now. If you go back to the terrible list view only I mean it I will dump youview. A option in the settings would be good to specify if you want list view or tiles then you please everyone. Please keep the tiles. My TV is my favorite feature of next gen.

Didn't you used to be on the TT forum ?
    edited 24 March 2017, 5:32AM
    Gareth1 said:

Im not sure that these 'Tiles' in 'My TV' are a blessing or curse.  The good thing (I think) is that my 3 year old daughter can play her recordings of Peppa Pig etc without my intervention by moving to the the correct tile with Peppa's picture on it, pressing Ok and then OK again or move along and OK.  She seems to grasped this quite well without any instructions from mum or me.  However, my just turned 3 year old daughter is not the bill payer.  Mum finds the interface a a little tricky to use but she doesn't use it often now that the little one has control,   Dad however likes the concept but at the moment still prefers the old layout because of the way 'My TV' has been executed.  The new layout could be better but still retaining the tiles concept if some tweeks were made and perhaps adding the old text and small TV screen as another option in the settings.  This would end the issues of many of the people in the countless threads on this forum.  It's easy for me to say though, I don't have to write the code!  
    I think I could live with the new layout if it had been executed properly, it looks like Youview are listening, but i don't see how this layout got the go-ahead in it's current state.  Hopefully time and some effort from the youview guys will get this sorted.

I must confess that after months of using Next gen and the tiles I have got used to them and whilst still being confused as to why the big tile on the top left continues through all following pages I have got used to it and going back to the original format was a bit of a culture shock !!

The thing that needs sorting out is the amount of button pressing to get to where you want to be.!! I use both Harmony and Humax remotes and the harmony remote does have an extra function to skip whole page of listings in the guide at a time thus minimising the impact of not being able to hide unused channels. Come to think of it nearly all shopping channels so I wonder !!!! LOL !!

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 2:24PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>
    "As an observer of much of the conversation that has taken place on these forums, it seems to me that there are some genuine, and understandable gripes with the new UI. However, it also appears that there is lot of knee jerk overreaction to change."
    Yes thats true. But if one thinks about the 1000 new users who have come on here just to complain about NextGen, the new design is quite radical. And in need of much improvement.

1000?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:14PM
    As an infrequent user of recordings I nevertheless sympathise with some of the issues raised here, particularly the ordering within series and the journey back to the Delete option after viewing.

I have only just noticed - forgive me if this has been raised before - that not only is the landing tile in a series unhelpfully on the most recent episode, rather than the earliest one, or at least the earliest unwatched one. But the ordering by date is the opposite way round to that in the main recordings page. So on the one hand one moves on the main Recordings screen, quite naturally in my view, left to right, across and down from most recent first. But when moving into a series one is presented not only with the newest recording first, but this is at the right and one has to click "backwards." No wonder the brain ends up somewhat confused!
    edited 24 March 2017, 4:17PM
    One other thing! I am grateful to Visionman for pointing out elsewhere that one can move page by page through the Recordings by using the P up and down buttons, whereas the onscreen guide merely says CHANGE PAGE with up and down arrow symbols, which I certainly take to refer to the up/down buttons on the central control. Which of course take you one row at a time.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 4:32PM
  • T CannonT Cannon Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 August 2017, 1:23AM

Phil, Why should we have to wait for something we already had a month ago, the fact that features missing that were there before this update, shows that is was not ready for release. If you really are listening to us, give us back the original software and when you have fully fixed and sorted out this new one then roll it out.

As for the key themes you mentioned, we don't want tiles of any description, we want nice easy to read lists, surely it can't be that hard to give the option to have lists or tiles.

The updates you've imposed are completely asinine.
    Firstly, I don't mind tiles. What I mind is the complete lack of thought behind them. They are not alphabetized or prioritized by number recorded/viewing history, etc. It's just randomly shunted information. ORGANIZE IT!
    Secondly, WHY are we bass ackwards once we click on a recorded programme? The oldest recordings are set up on a scrollbar that takes ages to scroll backwards through the most recent programmes to the ones you're actually watching. THEN when you stop to delete, it takes you to the main tile screen... Because... We don't like to logically give someone the option to delete? Instead you have to re-select and re-scroll through all the other episodes to then delete one. WHY?!?!!?
    Thirdly, the added features you claim to have are not there... WHY DID WE UPDATE IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN?
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2017, 9:24AM

Phil, Why should we have to wait for something we already had a month ago, the fact that features missing that were there before this update, shows that is was not ready for release. If you really are listening to us, give us back the original software and when you have fully fixed and sorted out this new one then roll it out.

As for the key themes you mentioned, we don't want tiles of any description, we want nice easy to read lists, surely it can't be that hard to give the option to have lists or tiles.

Hi T Cannon,

We are planning further developments to MyTV based on the feedback we've received. 

We take on board all that you and others have said. In the meantime, it might help to know the current ordering logic of MyTV. Your recordings are shown by last recorded programme and are ordered from left to right, with the latest recorded (or currently recording) programme in the top left. I hope this helps you in MyTV for now.

As Phil mentioned in the original post, we are looking improvements and new functionality. This also includes the journeys and navigation in MyTV. 

Thanks for taking the time to feedback and we've passed this on to our Product Team along with everyone else's feedback. 
  • Very AngryVery Angry Member Posts: 6
    edited 8 May 2017, 12:22PM

As Martin Ward says - why are we waiting for something that we used to have.  It is very very simple .....
    I don't care what software sits in the background
    I don't care how quickly you can do roll-outs
    I DO care how the interface performs
    The old interface worked well (check out any on-line feedback)
    The new interface is almost universally hated
    Solution: have your new software in the background - replicate the old interface
    VERY VERY VERY SIMPLE
    Please do this now.  Please.
    edited 27 March 2017, 5:53PM

No point in being angry. I was when my box was updated but I soon realised that is was too late in the change for it to be fixed.  There are no promises of what solution will be provided nor when.
    edited 27 March 2017, 6:16PM
    Visionman said:

Hey fre55ie, fixed!...
    jimb, yours may be too.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Member Posts: 69
    edited 6 August 2017, 1:24AM

I think there's every point in been angry, when you've spent time researching a product to find out which one suits and you bought it. When you've had it for 18 months and you happy with your purchase. Then some hapless idiot comes along and changes because they think they know better, you've got every right to be angry until they fix it.
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:13AM

Whoa, if we could leave the "hapless idiot" comment and similar out of it that would be cool. This is an interesting exercise in people expressing their annoyance at change. And failing badly in respecting others.
  • Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Member Posts: 50
    edited 1 April 2017, 11:26PM
    I know the subject has been done to death but I too would like to see a list view option to be available (ideally with the option to toggle between list view and icon view whenever looking at my recordings). I use file explorer in Windows often. This has a list view and and icon view option. For some tasks and scenarios the icon view works best. For others, the list view works better. I often toggle between the two depending on what I am doing.