My YouView retail box now has BT TV/ TT TV branding why has this happened?

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Next Gen YouView is just the start of the evolution of the platform to bring you great content through the best user experience.

We have continually sought to unlock a world of content and cutting edge technology and Next Gen now brings faster routes to playback across live TV, IP channels and On Demand.  The innovations to the platform have also allowed us to bring you more content with the launch of the new Sony Kids App and the new updated player UKTV Play and more to come.

All original devices bought by retail customers as well every set top box provided by YouView’s shareholder partners TalkTalk and BT, will be upgraded with the phased roll out happening now across the nation. The broadband line provider determines the user interface branding a box displays, just like in our old interface, where the ISP Player displayed on the main menu being determined by the connected broadband line, but we do recognise it is more prominent now.

All connected set top boxes will have the new user interface structure bringing with it much of our original functionality as well as new functionality to come as we move through the year.

Phil

Comments

• chris marshallchris marshall Posts: 6Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Phil,  you might think this new user interface is pretty, but it is annoying to use and  slow . (The box is NOT an IPAD) My box is 90% full and I used to scroll through the stored program list and pick a program to suit my mood. This is now a pain, and very confusing when dealing with episodes of a TV series.  I can see that  the style of TV menus has been copied, but they are also a pain.  I  have avoided my SONY TV menu on purpose - using the HUMAX box as the control interface to date - precisely because it is a mess. You should have a look at a SKY + box. They have some pictures for icons BUT the stored programmes are listed as text. I repeat, my previous post; I did not ask for this change, do not want it, so want the old User Interface back. I bought something that worked that  is now been made  "faulty".  I look forward to a link to download the previous firmware and instructions on how to re-flash my HUMAX 1000. (And as the rollout has taken place over several months don't try to claim that  both versions can't run side by side !) 
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,944Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 6:47PM

Phil,  you might think this new user interface is pretty, but it is annoying to use and  slow . (The box is NOT an IPAD) My box is 90% full and I used to scroll through the stored program list and pick a program to suit my mood. This is now a pain, and very confusing when dealing with episodes of a TV series.  I can see that  the style of TV menus has been copied, but they are also a pain.  I  have avoided my SONY TV menu on purpose - using the HUMAX box as the control interface to date - precisely because it is a mess. You should have a look at a SKY + box. They have some pictures for icons BUT the stored programmes are listed as text. I repeat, my previous post; I did not ask for this change, do not want it, so want the old User Interface back. I bought something that worked that  is now been made  "faulty".  I look forward to a link to download the previous firmware and instructions on how to re-flash my HUMAX 1000. (And as the rollout has taken place over several months don't try to claim that  both versions can't run side by side !) 

Updates are covered in youviews terms of service you agreed to when installing the box your box still works your the one choosing not to use it. Youview classic is old and out of date youview would be left behind without this change. Go try get the latest freeview play or sky q box all image based.
  • Andrew CAndrew C Posts: 47Member
    edited 17 March 2017, 7:42PM

Daniel, while I agree that the new interface is not that bad and given time "may be aceeptable" (it is not good either), you do have a habit of telling people that the T&C's are above consumer rights and laws, this is just not correct, ever.

It works very similarly to Mobile/broadband contracts where if the provider changes it's TOS/T&C (terms/price/units/etc) they must offer the consumer a no cost exit. irrelavent of what the origonal T&C's contained.

If you feel that via this update, YV has removed features and fuctions that you based your purchase on at POS (point of sale), then YV have "Via none optional update or service change, caused the loss of functionality for which the item was purchased for at POS. As such the purchase "is no longer fit for the purpose it was sold for", and the customer can return the item (within it's reasonable lifetime (not just it's warrenty period)) as such, under consumer/retail law.

Consumers are entitled to expect goods to remain of satisfactory quality throughout their reasonable life expectancy, so long as they are maintained correctly and not misused.

Consumers' legal rights cannot be taken away or restricted, and any attempt by a trader to do so by reference to an exclusion clause or similar notice is void and therefore unenforceable. Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 it is also a criminal offence to mislead a consumer about his legal rights.

Never let companies tell you T&C's & TOS are above consumer/retail law, because they are not.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 8:35PM

So if a mobile contract changes you can ask for a full refund on the phone you purchased 3 years ago through them. That's a new one on me. The pvr was sold as a recordable box to view tv on, it still does that more than adequately, let us all know how you get on with your claim there are quite a few people interested on your outcome.
    edited 17 March 2017, 8:41PM

@scott. lol nope. it was an example of how T&C's/TOS are not binding, when they come up against consumer law. If you had read I said "it works very similarly to." not "it is exactly the same as". I am sorry you feel the need to have a dig, instead of adding something to the subject at hand.

For your information as I posted earlier in the week,  https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-legal-rights?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=18502545#reply_18502545 the box that I purchased for a specific feature that was removed by the update, WAS REFUNDED BY THE RETAIL UNDER CONSUMER LAW.

edited 17 March 2017, 8:58PM

Which version YouView box was that, how long had you had it and who was the retailer please.
    Quote :-
    I spoke to "the retailer" and explained the situation and they have offered a refund for the one box due to it (in their words) "no longer being fit for the purpose it was sold for". (as per the CRA1).

It sounds more like a goodwill gesture by the retailer rather than a claim won.
    Nothing wrong in that of course but there is a big difference from winning a claim and a retailer 'doing the right thing'.
    edited 17 March 2017, 8:59PM

Definitely a goodwill gesture or a screw up by the person on the till.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:04PM

YouView DRT-T1000 retail

Two years plus

Note that the Consumer Rights Act states 6 years as a reasonable lifespan for modern products, and as YV are still pushing updates for this model, you can easly say it is within the products active lifespan.

Retailers are allowed to adjust the refund amount based partly on the "period" of usage, but the adjustment must be fair and reasonable.

As I promissed to the retailer not to broadcast there name in relation to the product/issue, etc, I shall not.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:10PM

My example (real world again) would be like an online only game I bought to find they are shutting the servers down after 5 years. would law expect the software company to refund everybody who bought the game because the service is not available anymore.
    Hint- I didn't even bother asking as I thought 5 years was plenty of time for my money's worth.

2 years maybe I would chase, but still sounds more like a reasonable retailer doing goodwill (hence the agreement not to mention names) rather than actual law. Pleased it worked for you and nothing to stop other people trying if they feel that way about the new update.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:21PM

No. During the "active lifespan of the service" you still had the "Advertised as online only" game. The CRA and other acts, handle digital/online/"E" rights differently.

During the the "active lifespan of the product" I lost a set of features, that influenced my purchase at point of sale. The product is not longer "as descrided at point of sale", and so "no longer of satisfactory quality."

Not telling everyone that this applies to them, (the loss of POS features), but was only stating that T&C's especially when the TOS change without notice are never on strong grounds.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:48PM

Unfortunately a don't believe you. Not that I have anything against you but I won't believe unless you release name of retailer without that its comes across as a story I'm afraid.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:26PM
    I don't like to get involved in pitter-patter internet lawyer stuff, so I won't. And the reasons I hope are obvious -
    We have up to now had quoted complaints to and involving  - Consumer Law, English contract law, illegal terms and conditions, the Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards, the national newspapers, the BBC, a mass Class Action, my local MP, and the European Court of Justice.
    Love a good internet lawyer, me. But I'd never get involved with one.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:35PM

You can believe him or not, Daniel, but he's right.

The reasonable life of a consumer durable is six years, and if it fails within that period, you have the right of redress.

Not for a 100% refund, but for a pro rata one, certainly.

But who is going to take YouView to the Small Claims Court for £100 or so, except to prove a point?

Bet they would win, though.

But the real redress most of the incomers here seem to want is getting CurrentGen back. And forcing YouView to do that is a whole different ball game....
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Roy! Finally on here at the same time as me. Have we been in different time zones?
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:45PM
    Visionman said:

Roy! Finally on here at the same time as me. Have we been in different time zones?

Or to busy trying to find a recording to watch ;-)
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:49PM

Roy I it's not the six year thing I don't believe I do know the sales of goods act. What I don't believe is a retailer give a refund for a software update to a set top box without court action. Most retailers will probably or at least the staff in the shop would probably pass the buck to youview and say nothing at all to do with us not my fault. But I will say youview are going to bring missing features back by software updates all except the recording lists or at least nothing is announced yet. I think its a bit extreme to even attempt to return a youview box yet ad no one knows how next gen will turn out after they have everything sorted. Patience is what's needed here not extreme action. Well that's the way I see it. But I do consider you and vision man two of the smartest people who post on here and am happy to respect your opinion on next gen even if its different to my own.
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:30PM
    Visionman said:

Tell the truth Scott he's been on Amazon market place ordering a humax 9150t freeview PVR second hand for its list view lol lol lol lol
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:55PM

Roy already knows quite a bit more about YouView than the majority of users on here, Daniel. So best not to lecture him on things that he already knows. No offence, like.
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:37PM

OK VM have you ever tried to return things to a certain electric retailer beginning with a C. Nothing but bother. I'm certainly not trying to lecture I'm just saying I have trouble believing the retailer didn't put up a fight. I have a lot of knowledge about youview boxes but I will admit I know nothing about the Sony TV's with youview. I'm not trying to annoy Roy I just disagree with his opinion on a number of things but he's certainly entitled to his opinions. We did cross paths a few weeks ago in a negative way when I started posting a lot more but I currently have no issues with Roy he's one of the better posters here. I even sent emails reporting Samuel when he was trolling yours and his posts the other week to the youview staff.
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:41PM

Thanks Visionman, but it's not my YouView experience that's relevant here; it's that I have taken a case to the 'Small Claims Court' (which is actually the Small Claims procedure in the County Court, to be exact) and won.

And threatened to take a certain well-known washing machine maker there if I did not get satisfaction from them, and got it, after an initial refusal, when they realised I knew whereof I spoke, and was deadly serious about it. (Or maybe the milk of human kindness suddenly started running in their veins - could it have been that, do you think?)

But the SCC often favours the little man against the retail giant, and, when push comes to shove, the retail giants know this.

Though Currys are my friend at the moment, having sourced us a major electrical appliance at two day's notice when the manufacturer was quoting weeks :-)
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:21PM

Much of a miele about nothing, then. :)
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:58PM
    Visionman said:

I've been moving house. Falling asleep before 22:00 most nights lately. Finally got broadband (though had to go back to BT, alas) late Wednesday - awaiting my mobile phone bill for the last two weeks with apprehension.

Might get the YouView box hooked back up this weekend, as soon as I can figure which of the four Ethernet sockets in the lounge leads to the socket in the bedroom - no PLAs needed here :-)

Oh, and Daniel - I am very happy with my Digital Stream PVR for lounge duties - not smart, no internet, but a rattling good HD recorder.
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:58PM
    "Might get the YouView box hooked back up this weekend..."
    With BT branding on it... 
    edited 18 March 2017, 12:08AM
    Visionman said:

I be honest I have a digital stream PVR not used in a few years like its in the cupboard. I do remember it been a good performer like back in the day. That thing was built to last. My post was intended as a joke I hope it came across that way if not I apologize.
    edited 18 March 2017, 1:12AM
    Visionman said:

No worries Daniel - seen as lighthearted and taken as such :-)

And I'm glad someone else has experienced the joys of the Digital Stream PVRs.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:46PM
    201 words in this corporate statement.
    Only 43 relevant to the subject.
    :-(
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:46PM
    jimb said:

201 words in this corporate statement.
    Only 43 relevant to the subject.
    :-(

I'd look to your own platform first before throwing stones at this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:29PM

Daniel, I am sorry you feel that way, but I am not here to convince you personally of anything, you feel I have/have not done. You asked I answered. It's not my first return nor do i think it will be my last...... (personnally i feel it is a disgrace how some retailer/companies try to mislead people about there rights and the law, dispite actively doing so is illegal. (but thats a rant for another day/forum))

Just stating a consumers legal rights, agree with them or not, they are openly available for anyone to read.
    edited 18 March 2017, 10:29PM

Daniel, I am sorry you feel that way, but I am not here to convince you personally of anything, you feel I have/have not done. You asked I answered. It's not my first return nor do i think it will be my last...... (personnally i feel it is a disgrace how some retailer/companies try to mislead people about there rights and the law, dispite actively doing so is illegal. (but thats a rant for another day/forum))

Just stating a consumers legal rights, agree with them or not, they are openly available for anyone to read.
    edited 17 May 2017, 6:47AM
    In all the kerfuffle, I forgot to say simply:-

I don't want the BT branding on my retail YouView box just because BT is my ISP.

The mechanism by which this is determined solely by IP address is flawed, and whether or not I am subscribed to BT TV should be a consideration here.