BBC iPlayer keeps stopping

Gordon WalkerGordon Walker Posts: 4Member
edited 27 September 2017, 7:58AM in Support
Yesterday I stated that after the recent Youview software update my BBC i player kept momentary stopping. I have had to change my BBC i player picture quality settings from high quality to standard. This has corrected the problem but I have not got the picture quality I had previously.

Comments

• Steven AndersonSteven Anderson Posts: 10Member
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:35PM
    Yes this also fixes the issue for me, but obviously it's less than ideal as the picture quality is pretty poor - I should be able to get a much better picture quality on my connection.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 8:38AM

Yes this also fixes the issue for me, but obviously it's less than ideal as the picture quality is pretty poor - I should be able to get a much better picture quality on my connection.

It's bug.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:35PM

As title...

The promised return phone call from YouView, never materialised. Someone from YouView called me on 21/03/17, took note of my details/problem with BBC iPlayer "Best Quality" stopping, and then said he'd get back to me. I've heard nothing.
    Just checked again. Update of BBC iPlayer is dated 23/03/17. Same problem with picture & sound freezing, still exists! This was never a problem with previous generation YouView software.

Chris (Lincoln, UK)
    edited 7 April 2017, 7:19AM
    An update from me...

I recently upgraded my internet to FTTC (40/10) and it all seems to work fine now. So I'm guessing the issue has something to do with the fancy new "adaptive quality" thing the iPlayer app does (either it overestimates your bandwidth or it can't run effectively on the old hardware).

Still waiting for a call back from YouView support but obviously I won't be much help any more.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 2 September 2017, 12:41AM
    Hi Chris/ Steven,

We are still investigating the programme freeze issue on iPlayer so will make sure to keep you updated when we know what's happening here.

Thanks for updating Steven, glad to hear this issue has been fixed for you with the internet upgrade, I'll feed this back to our test team to help with their investigation.
    edited 7 April 2017, 12:48PM
    Thanks Phil,

It's good to know people at YouView are listening/testing.
    I have standard ADSL with 11mb/s download speed. This was always fine when using "Best Quality" BBC iPlayer, before "Next Gen", on my retail DTR-T1000 box. I've tried MM2 on the YV box and rebooting the ADSL router. Connection from router to YV box is via ethernet cable. Still get the freezing problem.

Chris (Lincoln, UK).
    edited 8 April 2017, 6:13AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Chris/ Steven,

We are still investigating the programme freeze issue on iPlayer so will make sure to keep you updated when we know what's happening here.

Thanks for updating Steven, glad to hear this issue has been fixed for you with the internet upgrade, I'll feed this back to our test team to help with their investigation.

Looks like I lied. It does still happen on my new internet connection , although a lot less regularly.

Last night I watched about 40 minutes of a show and it happened maybe 4/5 times. Previously it was happening every couple of minutes.
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:58AM
    Hi Steven,

I'm glad I'm not on my own. So, even with new your high speed BB connection, you are still experiencing picture and sound freezing?
    With my 11mb/s ADSL, I get approximately the same number of interruptions per 40 minutes.
    When the guy called me from YouView (the one who promised to call back, but never did), he said he could not replicate the fault. It turnes out he was only testing for about 1 minute. I find it's OK for about the first 8-10 minutes. I told him this, and he went away scratching his head (figuratively speaking).
    All this is with my DTR-T1000 box, since "Next-Gen" update.

Chris. (Lincoln, UK).
    edited 20 April 2017, 4:44PM
    Hi Phil,

I just checked BBC iPlayer on latest update (received yesterday, 19.4.17). It still freezes picture and sound on my retail DTR-T1000.

I was an original triallist in 2012.

Chris (Lincoln, UK).
  • David6David6 Posts: 9Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 2:57PM
    My mothers DTR-T1000 updated itself on Saturday to v27.47.0 and has experienced this issue since then.  Pretty much constant stuttering at intervals of 5-20 seconds with the BBC iPlayer.  ITV Player and Netflix both work fine.

Just posting to add a voice - as I assume there is no fix yet.
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:07PM
    Hi David,

I'm not aware of any "fix" as yet.

Just for the record, as well as my DTR T1000, I also have a DTR T2000. Both exhibit the same stuttering problem when using "Best Quality" BBC iPlayer. My line speed is 11mb/s (direct ethernet connection), which always used to be enough for uninterrupted "Best Quality" BBC iPlayer viewing, before the "NextGen" upgrade.

Chris (Lincoln, UK).
  • SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:19PM
    Hey everyone,

This issue is still being investigated by our Test team so unfortunately I don't have an update on the issue itself however I just want to reassure you that it is still being looked into. 

Thanks for your patience whilst we look into this! 
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:11PM
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Best regards,

Chris (Lincoln, UK)
  • skillerskiller Posts: 272Member ✭✭
    edited 14 May 2017, 5:55PM
    I too have this problem, but only on 1 of my 3 YouView boxes.

On a Sky Broadband line (~10Mbps), I have a T2100 which suffers from seemingly randomly spaced sub-second pauses. I first noticed it on the day it received NextGen 27.47.0, and it still occurs after receiving the 27.50.0 update.

But on the same line, I have a DN360T on 60.42.57 (yes, it's still on OldGen!) which does not suffer from this.

I also have a T1000 on a BT Fibre line (~50Mbps) which has never suffered from this problem and it is now on NextGen 27.50.0.

The iPlayer version details are the same on each device.

BigScreen Version: 4.6.10.3
    Build Identifier: Tue Apr 25 2017 10:28:15 GMT+0000 (UTC)
    Framework Version: 7.1.1
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 235Member ✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 9:39PM
    I used to have this problem with BBCi player on the older T1000 box were it would just freeze halfway though a programme if I restarted a live show on BBC1 from the beginning like Pointless say but since the update I don't seem to have the problem.
    Never had the same problem on the G4 box.

Darren
    edited 14 May 2017, 5:34PM
    skiller said:

On a Sky Broadband line (~10Mbps), I have a T2100 which suffers from seemingly randomly spaced sub-second pauses. I first noticed it on the day it received NextGen 27.47.0, and it still occurs after receiving the 27.50.0 update.

But on the same line, I have a DN360T on 60.42.57 (yes, it's still on OldGen!) which does not suffer from this.

I also have a T1000 on a BT Fibre line (~50Mbps) which has never suffered from this problem and it is now on NextGen 27.50.0.

Just to add, I finally got round to trying a Maintenance Mode 4 reset and there's been no improvement.

Admittedly, the box that suffers from this stutter is connected to an Ethernet switch then into a PLA. But the smart TV it is using as its display is also connected to the Internet via precisely the same route - and its in-built iPlayer (having the same version details as above*) plays content as smooth as you like.

*Actually, the version details have changed slightly since I wrote my previous post, but they are still the same across the various devices. They are now as follows:
    Big screen Version: 4.6.11.2
    Build Identifier: Thu Apr 27 2017 09:01:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 968Member ✭✭
    edited 14 May 2017, 5:55PM
    skiller said:

I have the same problem with two NextGen boxes, one of which (T2100) has had a factory reset.
  • Jonson2Jonson2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 21 May 2017, 9:33AM
    Any progress on this Nextgen bug? I've had to stop using youview for iplayer and switched to tv or ps4 instead. Which is annoying.
    edited 29 May 2017, 8:47PM
    Been trying to catch up with the Radio 1 Big Weekend. The glitches are really annoying in a music programme. Eventually gave in and changed the picture quality to standard which seems to sort this out. But we really shouldn't need to do this.
    :-(
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May 2017, 9:55PM
    How, where, when, why? You have provided absolutely no information as to what you accessed, how you did it and when it occurred...  
    edited 29 May 2017, 10:03PM
    I'm sure he means the same problem that many of us have been reporting since the imposition of "NextGen".
    When BBC iPlayer (Best Quality) is selected, on either my T1000 or T2000, there are numerous temporary pauses in picture and sound (after about 10 minutes) of viewing. Changing to SD BBC iPlayer solves the problem, but we never had this problem with previous generation of YouView.
    My line speed remains unchanged at about 12 mb/s (download) ADSL.
    I'm still awaiting a return call from YouView. (Now since February).

Chris, Lincoln, UK.
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:59AM
    Before you dive in in your usual confrontational style try reading the thread.
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:59AM
    I did.
    edited 29 May 2017, 9:57PM
    Yes, it's most annoying. Luckily, the BBC sign-in feature comes into its own here as what I do now is find he programme I want to watch on iPlayer via the normal YouView means (eg picking from the backwards EPG), and start playing it in the hope that the bug has at last been fixed. This then establishes it as my most recently accessed programme.

When the inevitable happens and it starts freezing, I switch to my smart TV and use its own in-built iPlayer - and because I am signed in with the same credentials, my most recently accessed programme is prominent and I can start watching it in full, glitch free.

Incidentally, I need to revise my earlier reports. I can confirm that my T1000 (on 50Mbps) does exhibit this bug after all, despite what I said earlier. However, it seems to occur less frequently than on my T2100 (on 10Mbps).

I also have a DN360T (on the same 10Mbps line as the T2100), which only received its NextGen upgrade a few days ago, and it is now also exhibiting this bug where it wasn't before.

Therefore, my experience of 3 different boxes (of both Humax and Huawei manufacture) on 2 different line speeds (10Mbps copper broadband and 50Mbps FTTH) fits the suggestion that this bug has been introduced with the upgrade to NextGen, regardless of make/model of box or line speed.
    edited 29 May 2017, 10:03PM

I'm sure he means the same problem that many of us have been reporting since the imposition of "NextGen".
    When BBC iPlayer (Best Quality) is selected, on either my T1000 or T2000, there are numerous temporary pauses in picture and sound (after about 10 minutes) of viewing. Changing to SD BBC iPlayer solves the problem, but we never had this problem with previous generation of YouView.
    My line speed remains unchanged at about 12 mb/s (download) ADSL.
    I'm still awaiting a return call from YouView. (Now since February).

Chris, Lincoln, UK.

The BBC iPlayer that now exists is specifically for NextGen and has been HTML5 for quite some time.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34399754
    edited 29 May 2017, 10:22PM
    Interestingly, I've just searched for 'The Fades' and the result showed the last episode (6) first. Ho hum. I'll play ep 1 just to try it and report back.
    edited 29 May 2017, 10:51PM
    I don't think this problem needs any further diagnosis.

There's plenty of data here and in the previous thread on this subject.

It seems to me that finding a solution has been put on the back burner by YouView. They have much bigger things to deal with than this.
    edited 29 May 2017, 11:33PM
    OK, 30 mins into Ep 1 and I have no problems to report. And I've trick-played it. iPlayer Beta using best quality, in DPL2.
    Dam. This is the trickiest of bugs to fix. Which means an intermittent one.
    edited 29 May 2017, 11:33PM
    Visionman said:

OK, 30 mins into Ep 1 and I have no problems to report. And I've trick-played it. iPlayer Beta using best quality, in DPL2.
    Dam. This is the trickiest of bugs to fix. Which means an intermittent one.

Pressing stop exits one from the series and lands one on the Home screen. Not impressive. I'm hooked again, but its only available for 6 days.