BBC iPlayer keeps stopping

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,696Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2017, 11:55PM
    I can confirm this has now happened to me. A 60 second freeze followed by restart of said watched content. I've been watching the Fades on the iPlayer for over 2 hours now with no other glitches to report. 
  • skillerskiller Posts: 268Member
    edited 30 May 2017, 7:48AM
    Visionman said:

I can confirm this has now happened to me. A 60 second freeze followed by restart of said watched content. I've been watching the Fades on the iPlayer for over 2 hours now with no other glitches to report. 

From your description, I don't think "this" has happened to you at all. The bug this thread is about is short freezes (perhaps lasting one second or even less) every few minutes.

What you have described sounds like your common or garden behaviour of a catch-up player which will probably fix itself with nothing more than a soft reset.

I don't want to belittle your software error, but I really don't think it's anything to do with what has been described in this thread.
    edited 30 May 2017, 1:57AM
    Visionman said:

Then may I apologise for looking into it for you. Its what I do.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 615Administrator admin
    edited 31 May 2017, 11:34AM
    Hi,

To those who are experiencing this issue, can you please try changing the setting in the player to Standard Definition and confirm to me if this makes a difference? We're looking into what is causing this to happen at the moment so any reports back regarding whether this definitely makes a difference or not would be really helpful :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Steven AndersonSteven Anderson Posts: 10Member
    edited 31 May 2017, 12:01PM
    Standard definition fixes the problem as many people have noted in this thread.

But it can't be a bandwidth problem as many of us have very good connections and weren't previously having this issue, and don't have the issue on iPlayer on other devices.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 945Member ✭✭
    edited 31 May 2017, 1:20PM
    As noted above switching to standard fixes it for me.
  • Mount KeenMount Keen Posts: 2Member
    edited 4 July 2017, 9:14PM
    SD seems to fix the problem to some degree but there are still occasional stutters
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,655Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2017, 8:10AM
    Visionman said:

Really Visionman, how dare you have the 'wrong' problem? :-)

But laying myself open to the same kicking, I decreed an afternoon of YouView BBC iPlayer, both catchup and live, for my wife, and asked her to tell me immediately if it stuttered at all while she watched it (and I got on with useful things, like keeping the wheels of industry turning).

They turned, undisturbed, for the next three hours. So here's one Retail T2000, on BT infinity, that does not exhibit this issue.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 1 February 2018, 10:59AM
    Yes, its all my # fault. Sorry. How dare I.
    edited 1 June 2017, 9:15AM

SD seems to fix the problem to some degree but there are still occasional stutters

Hiya, 

Can you let me know your box model and internet speed please? 

Sarah
  • Mount KeenMount Keen Posts: 2Member
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:00AM
    Humax DTRT1000 with internet speed of 7.5 meg
  • Chris BrownChris Brown Posts: 2Member
    edited 7 September 2017, 9:57PM
    Humax DTRT1000 80B08500, 7.4 Mbs, 27.50.0
  • Chris BrownChris Brown Posts: 2Member
    edited 5 June 2017, 10:32AM
    PS Changing iPlayer settings to SD solves the problem.
    edited 5 June 2017, 10:31AM

Thanks for this information, I've added this to the info we've sent to the team looking into the issue. 
    edited 5 June 2017, 10:32AM

PS Changing iPlayer settings to SD solves the problem.

Thanks for the model info and for letting us know that swapping to SD solves the problem. I've added this to the notes for the team who are looking into the issue. 
  • paul redwoodpaul redwood Posts: 1Member
    edited 14 June 2017, 9:31AM
    i too have YV and an LG TV with built in app. Just watching iplayer on the youview box with repeated interruptions as described by others. Now switched to TV app and its running without pauses. Both systems work off the same ethernet connection from the same power line adapter.  
    edited 14 June 2017, 9:31AM

i too have YV and an LG TV with built in app. Just watching iplayer on the youview box with repeated interruptions as described by others. Now switched to TV app and its running without pauses. Both systems work off the same ethernet connection from the same power line adapter.  

Hi Paul,

Can you please try using iPlayer and swapping to SD instead of HD and let then let me know if that helps the issue or not? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • BeanBean Posts: 5Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Has this been sorted out? I've been noticing it the last few weeks while watching Glastonbury coverage and now Wimbledon. Very annoying and never has this problem before this year. 
    edited 4 July 2017, 10:52AM
    Bean said:

Has this been sorted out? I've been noticing it the last few weeks while watching Glastonbury coverage and now Wimbledon. Very annoying and never has this problem before this year. 

Hi Bean,

Have you tried changing the definition to SD instead of HD in iPlayer? Can you let me know if this made a difference at all? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 4 July 2017, 11:47AM
    Bean said:

I've read above that it does help. But I don't want to watch in SD so that isn't a solution. Does that mean a solution hasn't been found? iPlayer runs fine from all other devices in the house using same wifi and in HD.
    edited 4 July 2017, 11:51AM
    Bean said:

Hi Bean,

I understand that watching in SD isn't ideal however doing this narrows down the issue for us so we know the cause and if it's linked to the previous reports or if it's a slightly different issue. If you can try this and let us know it'd be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,827Member ✭✭
    edited 4 July 2017, 12:13PM
    Bean said:

I have had this issue in the past. A maintenance mode reset sorted it out for me I appreciate that this isn't going to be the case for everyone. I have not had this happen since the next gen update I admit. It's certainly something that the BBC could do with looking into as it seams a fair few have been battling with this problem.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 945Member ✭✭
    edited 4 July 2017, 4:07PM
    Sarah - this thread is marked as "In progress", not "Acknowledged".
    Does this mean that you are not able to reproduce it, or does it mean that no work has been done on this (presumably because there are more pressing problems to deal with)?
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 212Member ✭✭
    edited 4 July 2017, 9:14PM

Now and again I have had same problem with the BBCi play while watching restart of a programs like Pointless but it usually starts playing again alter a few seconds.

Darren
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:01AM
    Hi Sarah - Using SD seems to solve it. Also watching iplayer through the app on my computer or blu-ray player also fixes it. So I'll do that for now. 

Daniel - How do I do an maintenance mode reset?
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,827Member ✭✭
    edited 8 July 2017, 8:47PM
    Bean said:

The information you are requesting is in this pinned topic along with the relevant links to the youview help pages containing the information you requested. https://community.youview.com/youview...
  • bob3bob3 Posts: 27Member
    edited 17 September 2017, 9:51AM
    Any progress on this? I too have the issue on HD despite having a fast connection.
    edited 2 August 2017, 9:26AM
    bob3 said:

Any progress on this? I too have the issue on HD despite having a fast connection.

Hi bob,

Can you confirm whether the issue stops if you change to SD? Also please let me know the box model you have and software version it's currently on.

Thanks
    Sarah
  • Delboy27sbcDelboy27sbc Posts: 2Member
    edited 1 September 2017, 9:11PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Chris/ Steven,

We are still investigating the programme freeze issue on iPlayer so will make sure to keep you updated when we know what's happening here.

Thanks for updating Steven, glad to hear this issue has been fixed for you with the internet upgrade, I'll feed this back to our test team to help with their investigation.

I still have the proble.m in September 2017. Very annoying.
    edited 1 September 2017, 10:25PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Chris/ Steven,

We are still investigating the programme freeze issue on iPlayer so will make sure to keep you updated when we know what's happening here.

Thanks for updating Steven, glad to hear this issue has been fixed for you with the internet upgrade, I'll feed this back to our test team to help with their investigation.

On what device, Delboy?