BBC iPlayer keeps stopping

Comments

• Delboy27sbcDelboy27sbc Posts: 2Member
    edited 1 September 2017, 9:34PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Chris/ Steven,

We are still investigating the programme freeze issue on iPlayer so will make sure to keep you updated when we know what's happening here.

Thanks for updating Steven, glad to hear this issue has been fixed for you with the internet upgrade, I'll feed this back to our test team to help with their investigation.

It's a Humax DTRT2000, Vision man. Worked perfectly till a few months ago. It happens with SD and best quality on iPlayer. I have to keep doing a re-boot by doing a long press on the front panel switch. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,918Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:01AM
    For test purposes I once watched the BBC iPlayer for 6 hours (The Fades) and it glitched once but then continued. So I don't suffer the problem myself. BT Infinity 2 on a T2000 & T2100. Have you tried rebooting your hub/rooter and then rebooting your box?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 998Member ✭✭
    edited 5 September 2017, 10:24PM
    Just for the record I've just been watching a programme with iPlayer set to standard quality and the glitches occurred about six times over one hour.
    (DTR-T2110, 28.26.0)
    So switching to standard quality is not a complete solution to this problem.
    We are now more than six months on since this was first reported.
  • Steven AndersonSteven Anderson Posts: 10Member
    edited 5 September 2017, 10:24PM
    jimb said:

Just for the record I've just been watching a programme with iPlayer set to standard quality and the glitches occurred about six times over one hour.
    (DTR-T2110, 28.26.0)
    So switching to standard quality is not a complete solution to this problem.
    We are now more than six months on since this was first reported.

Yes I am now getting this even on SD. Really annoying as I have more than fasts enough internet to stream I'm HD.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    edited 27 September 2017, 7:58AM
    Surely part of the issue here is the long standing design of the YouView box that it does not let you download a programme (as other PVRs do) so you can then watch it as if it was a recorded programme.  

Having to watch as an active stream is always going to be prone to issues if the actual download speed (which can be much less than your local ISP speed) falls below the bps needs of the view. 
    edited 6 September 2017, 12:49AM
    Steve K said:

Surely part of the issue here is the long standing design of the YouView box that it does not let you download a programme (as other PVRs do) so you can then watch it as if it was a recorded programme.  

Having to watch as an active stream is always going to be prone to issues if the actual download speed (which can be much less than your local ISP speed) falls below the bps needs of the view. 

What technical information do you have to support that supposition? That downloading is superior to Uni & Multicasting? Because I haven't got a clue?
    Oh, and for your technical information, YouView boxes are perfectly capable of downloading. Progressively as well. 
    edited 6 September 2017, 7:03AM
    Steve K said:

That may be the case, but I'm pretty sure this is not a user-side issue. My network is more than fast enough to stream on any other service, in fact streaming iPlayer on my phone is flawless and that's over wifi not Ethernet.

This only started happening after the next gen "upgrade" so it's got to be an issue with the iPlayer app.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:02AM
    Visionman, how do I get my YouView box to download a programme from the BBC iPlayer?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Yes I'd like to know the answer to that too please
    Film downloads, Roy. But not on the iPlayer. I was referring to the box in general.
    Ah.

Remind me again what this thread is supposed to be about?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • David6David6 Posts: 9Member
    ha - it's OK, I think YouView are happy for it to go off topic as then they can more easily forget about it  Saves them having to ask for 'another' example of the problem as if that would shed any more light on it
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 September 2017, 9:41PM
    Having to watch as an active stream is always going to be prone to issues
    I agree with you Steve K. Our broadband is usually stable with a download speed of over 70Mbps, but it has a habit of dropping out momentarily in bad weather. When that happens an error message appears on the screen and the app has to be re-started to continue watching. It is not a major problem, but a nuisance nevertheless.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:05AM
    Have you called your ISP, to get BT Openreach looking into it?

This issue is usually caused by water ingress on a cabling joint or junction somewhere between you and the exchange.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:06AM

But all joking aside, agree. Our next door neighbour (literally a little old lady) came to me to say she lost her phone line eveytime it rained. I said ah, you've got a break in your line. The engineer found it on the telephone pole across from her house. But best get on topic now.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:06AM
    Thanks Roy. I'll get on to them the next time that it misbehaves.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:04AM
    Visionman - this thread is about the BBC iPlayer stopping.

I'm sure jonesh must have been using this at least once when his broadband stopped :-)

Oh, and:-

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Little old lady....
  • BeanBean Posts: 5Member
    edited 6 September 2017, 8:24PM
    This is still a problem for me. Works fine in SD. And also fine in HD if I watch iplayer through the app on my blu-ray player or through a laptop or iPad. It's a YouView box issue, and I am looking for an alternative to YouView right now as this just isn't good enough.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:04AM
    Yes Roy, it has happened with iPlayer. It happens with the other players as well, but I use iPlayer more than the others.
    edited 6 September 2017, 11:46PM
    This might be a longshot but - if anyone watches iPlayer logged in, try logging out and then back in again. This trick often works for users suffering from the Netfix 'stuck at 25%' loading issue.
    It may not work for this one, but its certainly worth a try.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:05AM
    Little old lady who?

Is the prefect watching?
    edited 6 September 2017, 11:46PM
    Visionman said:

This might be a longshot but - if anyone watches iPlayer logged in, try logging out and then back in again. This trick often works for users suffering from the Netfix 'stuck at 25%' loading issue.
    It may not work for this one, but its certainly worth a try.

If someone could try the above and post back that would be useful.
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:07AM
    Briefly revisiting downloads versus live streaming, since those reporting this problem seem to have more than enough bandwidth to watch the BBC iPlayer streaming without stuttering, and since the cause of the stuttering remains a mystery even after all these months of it (black mark, YouView!), what makes anyone think that even if the iPlayer could download, that downloads would not also stutter?
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 7 September 2017, 1:36PM
    Well said Roy. I've got round the stuttering BBC iPlayer problem buy purchasing a Freesat Freetime box (I already had a satellite dish set up). Also, I can now add padding if required. Seems that YouView have rather shot themselves in the foot, regarding the BBC iPlayer debacle.
    I still like YouView (it's my main source of viewing and recording TV), but my patience is running short.

Chris (Lincoln, UK).
    edited 7 September 2017, 12:04PM

Well said Roy. I've got round the stuttering BBC iPlayer problem buy purchasing a Freesat Freetime box (I already had a satellite dish set up). Also, I can now add padding if required. Seems that YouView have rather shot themselves in the foot, regarding the BBC iPlayer debacle.
    I still like YouView (it's my main source of viewing and recording TV), but my patience is running short.

Chris (Lincoln, UK).

Yes I've also been tempted to move away as I use iPlayer quite a lot and it's just annoying. Box worked absolutely fine (on much slower internet) for many years, the suddenly stopped working with the "upgrade".

Thinking of getting a chrome cast or something just for the iPlayer, but would be kind of annoying having to use two devices. Also kind of annoying that my box I've already paid for for broke by an upgrade I didn't ask for (rant over).
    It does rather look like Next Gen uses more processing power than the version it superseded and may not have enough left to properly run iPlayer.

But then the Sat Box route Chris outlined has always been the better way to watch iPlayer material.  
  • SarahSarah Posts: 875Administrator admin
    edited 7 September 2017, 2:54PM
    Hi everyone,

When the stopping/pausing occurs, do you get a buffering spinner symbol on the screen at all which stays until the programme resumes or do no symbols come up and it's more of a stutter type behaviour? 

If anyone is able to take a video of this happening on their phone/tablet it'd be really helpful. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • BeanBean Posts: 5Member
    edited 7 September 2017, 2:54PM
    Sarah2 said:

Hi everyone,

When the stopping/pausing occurs, do you get a buffering spinner symbol on the screen at all which stays until the programme resumes or do no symbols come up and it's more of a stutter type behaviour? 

If anyone is able to take a video of this happening on their phone/tablet it'd be really helpful. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Yes - it buffers and the pink spinner symbol comes up. Which does happen now and again for anything but with iPlayer in HD via the YouView box - it happens very 2-3 minutes.

And like I've said before, it doesn't happen when watching iPlayer through other devices.
    edited 7 September 2017, 1:34PM

Chris (Lincoln, UK).

OTOH, the BBC iPlayer on our T2000 doesn't stutter at all, running Beta, Best Quality, and there are many YouView users similarly unaffected.

So YouView boxes, or this one at least, certainly have the welly to run the iPlayer.

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone with stuttering has tried going to the iPlayer Beta version, rather than dropping the quality?
    Yes I'm currently using the beta version and it's no better.