BBC iPlayer keeps stopping

124»

Comments

• Steven AndersonSteven Anderson Posts: 10Member
    edited 7 September 2017, 2:54PM
    Sarah2 said:

Hi everyone,

When the stopping/pausing occurs, do you get a buffering spinner symbol on the screen at all which stays until the programme resumes or do no symbols come up and it's more of a stutter type behaviour? 

If anyone is able to take a video of this happening on their phone/tablet it'd be really helpful. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Yes it buffers although when I first had this problem months ago it wasn't, it was just freezing and continuing almost immediately. It now seems to be getting worse with the buffering spinner appearing for up to a few seconds.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:38AM
    Hi Sarah,

In my case, nothing appears on screen to indicate buffering or whatever. The video and audio justs stops briefly, then continues. This did not occur before NextGen update. My B/B is about 12 MB/S

Retail Humax DTR T1000 and DTR T2000 with latest software.

Chris, (Lincoln, UK).
  • jimbjimb Posts: 998Member ✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 5:25PM
    Sarah, I'm really dismayed that you are asking for more details.
    As I said three months ago:
    I don't think this problem needs any further diagnosis. 
    There's plenty of data here and in the previous thread on this subject. 
    It seems to me that finding a solution has been put on the back burner by YouView. They have much bigger things to deal with than this.
    If you look back through this thread the common descriptions of the problem are "stuttering" "pausing" and "temporary pauses". This is NOT the same as buffering i.e. for most of the time we are NOT seeing the "buffering spinner symbol" (although on some occasions routine buffering can occur as well as the stuttering problem).

The fact that you are asking for more information really does suggest that this has indeed been put on the back burner by YouView - for a very long time.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 875Administrator admin
    edited 7 September 2017, 2:53PM

Hi Sarah,

In my case, nothing appears on screen to indicate buffering or whatever. The video and audio justs stops briefly, then continues. This did not occur before NextGen update. My B/B is about 12 MB/S

Chris, (Lincoln, UK).

Thanks for the info Chris! 
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:08AM
    Thanks for the detailed information, I've forwarded this to the team who were asking about this. 

Sarah
    edited 1 February 2018, 11:08AM
    If you look back through this thread the common descriptions of the problem are "stuttering" "pausing" and "temporary pauses". This is NOT the same as buffering i.e. for most of the time we are NOT seeing the "buffering spinner symbol" (although on some occasions routine buffering can occur as well as the stuttering problem).

The fact that you are asking for more information really does suggest that this has indeed been put on the back burner by YouView - for a very long time.The key question here is "Should fixing this be a priority?"

I think most people would say that the top priority is that the box should work reliably as a PVR. 
    But when YouView was launched its unique selling point was the seven day backwards EPG and the ability to launch catchup programmes directly from the EPG. 
    And of course the iPlayer is by far the most used player.

So what should the current priorities be?
    Should hiding/editing the channels be a higher priority than fixing the iPlayer?
    Judging by the volume of complaints - probably.
    But is fixing the iPlayer more important than developing voice control using Amazon Alexa?
    Probably.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,918Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2017, 6:30PM
    It appears this intermittent problem is only affecting a small minority of users. For instance, I don't suffer it. Thats not to say the BBC aren't investigating it, though.
    Currently there are no active threads running on this issue on/via MSE, Digital Spy, AVForums, BT or TT. So everyone who has this problem is only posting here, which is a good thing btw.
    The fact its been running for so long means it must be a very complex one to nail down and intermittent ones usually are.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2017, 8:38PM
    It started in April, with 27.50.0, as far as I can tell.

And it looks like it has 'survived' the upgrades to 28.26.0 and 28.35.0 :-(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,918Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2017, 8:38PM
    Roy1 said:

It started in April, with 27.50.0, as far as I can tell.

And it looks like it has 'survived' the upgrades to 28.26.0 and 28.35.0 :-(

I don't believe its anything to do with the updates. Nor do I believe is it anything to do with the switch to NextGen. I believe that just as with ALL4 and Netflix, the problem is at the providers end.  
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    edited 7 September 2017, 9:57PM

Humax DTRT1000 80B08500, 7.4 Mbs, 27.50.0

Yes it's mostly the BT T1000 box that I have had the BBCi player problem with. I now just manly use the T1000 box as a Freeview PVR and for the free catch up players on a TV in another room. I now use the Youview G4 box for BT TV as well as Freeview.

Darren
  • Ann6Ann6 Posts: 2Member
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:38AM

Hi Sarah,

Chris, (Lincoln, UK).

This is the behaviour I'm experiencing too and was definitely something that started happening after the NextGen upgrade. I'm on retail T2110 28.26.0 and it also happened on 27.50.0. After reading this thread, I've tried switching to SD and seems to be ok. Don't have this problem on iPlayer app on other devices on same broadband.
  • bob3bob3 Posts: 28Member
    edited 17 September 2017, 9:51AM
    bob3 said:

Any progress on this? I too have the issue on HD despite having a fast connection.

Yes it's been fine on SD. Just trying HD again for the 1st time in months. So far it's been running iPlayer on 'best quality' for 30mins without issue so fingers crossed something has been changed. I'll report back if the issue reoccurs.
  • GrundersGrunders Posts: 127Member
    edited 27 September 2017, 7:44AM
    +1

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-bt-software-update-28-26-0?topic-reply-list...

(I get exactly the same issue along with the 'buffering spinner - T2100, v28.26).
    I have two boxes and for some time I've been running both with the beta version of iPlayer set to Best Quality.
    And I've not been getting any problems.  :)
    Has this problem gone away or are others still experiencing it? 
    jimb said:
    I have two boxes and for some time I've been running both with the beta version of iPlayer set to Best Quality.
    And I've not been getting any problems.  :)
    Has this problem gone away or are others still experiencing it? 
    Hi Jim,

This issue was resolved in the 29.44.0 software release so any boxes on this software version or later should no longer be experiencing the buffering/stuttering as previously reported here :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah said:

This issue was resolved in the 29.44.0 software release so any boxes on this software version or later should no longer be experiencing the buffering/stuttering as previously reported here :) 

That's a great illustration of why it would be so much better if YouView provided more detailed information about what a software update includes.
    And if, as I expect, you're not prepared to do this then why not post a comment in the relevant thread (such as this one) to update us if a particular problem has been resolved?
    In this case it would have been particularly useful so that those who had switched to Standard Definition would have been alerted that they could return to Best Quality.
    But information about the release is published - it’s just incomplete  :(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • jfgoodhew1jfgoodhew1 Posts: 5Member
    edited 14 March 2018, 6:13AM
    Same problem. 29.44.10 software. Apps all updated. Stuttering only in I player. 

Previously had Stuttering on Netflix seems same problem, I updated DNS of the box to a public address that fixed it. 4.2.2.2 if anyone's interested. 

Since then a software update has reset DNS to standard (our router, 192.168.1.1), and Netflix still works .I player, however, has died .

[Edit] switching to SD works fine, problem happens in HD. [/edit]

Thanks for working on this guys let's all keep up the pressure and get a solution. 
  • btbakersbtbakers Posts: 1Member
    All software is up to date, turned box on and off, connected via ethernet cable and iplayer is still buffering! Any other suggestions? Solved? Don't think so!!😡
    edited 4 April 2018, 8:58AM
    @btbakers & @jfgoodhew1
    Can you please confirm the YouView box models you are using along with your internet speed? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sure sorry it took so long been away from home. Humax dtr t2000/gb/500gb 91-00456
    Sure sorry it took so long been away from home. Humax dtr t2000/gb/500gb 91-00456
    Hi,

No problem @jfgoodhew1, thanks for this info. Can you also let us know your internet speed using this test?

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • DaveG1DaveG1 Posts: 39Member
    I had a similar problem to this too, with annoyingly regular glitches and dropouts occurring when watching an iPlayer stream. I actually contacted the BBC who suggested I reduce the playback quality to SD, this immediately fixed the problem.
    I have since had my broadband connection upgraded to high-speed, so I changed the iPlayer quality back to HD. I have not had any problems at all, so I believe it is internet speed and wi-fi quality that will be causing many iPlayer issues.
    My YV box is an older BT one.
    Hiya, came in at 7.3mbs down, 3.4mbs up.
    Hi Sarah I thought I replied, it didn't post :( 
    7.3mbs down, 3.4mbs up .
    Thank you .
    Hi Sarah I thought I replied, it didn't post :( 
    7.3mbs down, 3.4mbs up .
    Thank you .
    You did, it did.

Sometimes you have to refresh the topic before you can see the latest posts.
    Hiya, came in at 7.3mbs down, 3.4mbs up.
    Hi,

Can you let me know what times of day you are watching iPlayer? Although iPlayer doesn't require high speeds, at peak times, your internet speed can reduce when others in the same area are using it and there are other factors to take into consideration such as how many other devices are also using the internet at the same time (mobiles/tablets, computers/laptops and other smart devices). 

Can you also let me know how your box is connected to the internet? Is it plugged directly into the router or is it plugged into Power Line Adapters? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Probably peak times, there's a mac and a phone on WiFi same time but not doing a lot. Using Powerline adapters. Will try a speed test again tonight and report back.
124»