The Weather Network App launches on YouView

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Announcements
Hi all,

The Weather Network App launches on all YouView set top boxes today, find out more here.

Phil

Comments

• momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    "Accurate forecasting throughout the UK".  Well, that will be a first!
  • macshimirhodiemacshimirhodie Posts: 10Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:51AM
    The extra content is great
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,944Member ✭✭✭
    Very good addition to youview. Is this app a consequence of youview next gen or does youview classic have it as well.
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 147Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM
    Great to see so much work being done by YouView :)
  • WayneWayne Posts: 80Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 3:18PM
    Daniel4 said:

Very good addition to youview. Is this app a consequence of youview next gen or does youview classic have it as well.

Available on Old Gen as well.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 7:15AM
    I don't know what the app says but it's pretty squally in here :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 20 March 2017, 3:18PM
    Daniel4 said:

Thanks for verifying Wayne chears
    I hope this is a sign of things to come. Hopefully it's YouTube and Google play movies next. Google could full the gap left by sky stores removal. Or maybe this is wishful thinking.
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:48PM
    Had a look but it seems pretty pointless certainly not something I'll use.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 264Member ✭✭
    I love the new weather network app. Set up of the app was very easy on the G4 box as it even found my town without me having to type it in. Also works very well on the G4 box. I had to type in my town on the app via the old T1000 box though . Also the app on the T1000 loads a few seconds slower than on the G4 box.

I have used a good weather apps as weather is one of my interests and I have found most weather apps only to be 90%/95% accurate in giving the weather. Hopefully a few more apps will be added though time.

Darren
    edited 20 March 2017, 9:45PM
    Darren2 said:

I love the new weather network app. Set up of the app was very easy on the G4 box as it even found my town without me having to type it in. Also works very well on the G4 box. I had to type in my town on the app via the old T1000 box though . Also the app on the T1000 loads a few seconds slower than on the G4 box.

I have used a good weather apps as weather is one of my interests and I have found most weather apps only to be 90%/95% accurate in giving the weather. Hopefully a few more apps will be added though time.

Darren

Glad it worked that way for you. I had to type my postcode in. Only issue is it only let's you use the keypad on the remote for numbers so had to go one by one getting to the relivent letters pressing enter with the up down right left keys. Setup could be better but once it is setup the app works well.
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

I tried it once will probably not bother again. To be of any use it needs to be quicker to access.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:58PM
    After several clicks to get there I loaded it up. Eventually. And then it wants to know where I am. Why doesn't it know already? And defaults to Canada? Seriously underwhelmed. I cannot imagine ever using this so-called app in favour of all the many alternatives, including just looking out of the window.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:13PM
    redchiz said:

After several clicks to get there I loaded it up. Eventually. And then it wants to know where I am. Why doesn't it know already? And defaults to Canada? Seriously underwhelmed. I cannot imagine ever using this so-called app in favour of all the many alternatives, including just looking out of the window.

It's a Canadian company chiz.
    I'd like to know how it knew where I am - with no postcode entered.
  • Owen McShaneOwen McShane Posts: 6Member
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:18AM
    I'd like to be able to have the temperature in Celsius, and the wind speed in Mph. The choice of imperial/metric does not cater for this.
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:33PM

I'd like to be able to have the temperature in Celsius, and the wind speed in Mph. The choice of imperial/metric does not cater for this.

I guess different generations think in different ways.
    Kilometres per hour means nothing to me. I still think in feet and inches. But for some reason I've become *acclimatised* to Celsius.
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:31PM
    redchiz said:

Yeah, I guessed the provenance (good French word?)
  • momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:05AM

That's a deal breaker for me, even if it was quicker to get to than the many forecasts available on my phone.  I too have acclimatised to Celsius, and although I am comfortable in metres/second or Beaufort scale, I prefer mph for wind speed. Never kph.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:13PM
    redchiz said:

Mais oui.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:15PM
    redchiz said:

D'accord.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:16PM

Who knows, the Weather Network people might be following this and might make the settings more flexible.
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:05AM

I've just installed their Android app, and it can be set for Celsius and mph.
    :-)
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:24PM

Zut alors!
  • Owen McShaneOwen McShane Posts: 6Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:29PM

As momist says, it is a lot quicker to look at one's phone. Even quicker to look at my watch. Still, it's good to see something new pop up, although I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer efforts be directed towards fixing the NextGen software issues (lists anyone?... ducks!)
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:34PM
    redchiz said:

Ale oczywiście.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:36PM
    redchiz said:

Ha, nice one, cześć. ;)
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:42PM
    redchiz said:

You've no idea how long I've waited for a suitable opportunity to drop that on you.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:56PM
    redchiz said:

I don't know whether to be flattered or scared!!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:45PM
    Roy1 said:

I don't know what the app says but it's pretty squally in here :-)

I got that! I got that!   rotfl
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:50PM
    David8 said:

Had a look but it seems pretty pointless certainly not something I'll use.

Its certainly no use to me, as a Mancunian. Its always bloody raining.