[Discussion] BT software update 27.47.0

Comments

• Max BermanMax Berman Member Posts: 21
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Updated today and find the new UI clunky and difficult to navigate compared to the previous version. I still haven't found the "discover" area which I used to use loads. The settings page is a mess with the huge 90s style icons. I've also experienced lots of picture/sound lag on streaming, particularly Netflix. Is there any way to revert back to the previous version which worked pretty seamlessly?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 10:31PM

Already given feedback by another route until I found this thread. What a mess with regards to recordings, if it doesn't change back then i might look for a new digital recorder. Was this version actually trialled by users before being launched?

"And the overhead of having two versions is one of the things YouView is probably seeking to avoid by making NextGen universal."
    Totally. And the fact you explained that in English is even more impressive. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • looby loolooby loo Member Posts: 6
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:26PM

Already given feedback by another route until I found this thread. What a mess with regards to recordings, if it doesn't change back then i might look for a new digital recorder. Was this version actually trialled by users before being launched?

I totally agree. I hate how the recordings and schedule are listed!
    Please introduce an option where we can view our listings as they were before!
    This new BT update isn't clunky? 
  • Barry Wood2Barry Wood2 Member Posts: 2
    edited 31 March 2017, 10:58PM
    skiller said:

This is my first experience of NextGen having had my T1000 updated a few hours ago.

I can't comment on the good/bad UI as I haven't had enough usage of it yet, but I would like to make one major comment.

Since the update, whenever I attempt to load any online player,such as BBC iPlayer or the BT Player, I get the "Loading" screen for about 1-2 seconds, then it goes back to the live TV channel I was previously watching.

I have done the usual resets - router reboot (it's Ethernet-connected) and box 8-second reboot.

I get the same issue about iPlayer, BT Player, ITV Hub all failing to load (no error, just goes back to TV) but interestingly the Channel 4 player works OK. Any ideas how to resolve this? I checked and all Players and Apps are reported as up to date.
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:45AM
    Clunky in that nothing is where you would expect it or intuitive in any way. The original UI made sense. The updated UI is less logical.
    Has anyone found the "discover" area yet?
  • wgc131wgc131 Member Posts: 5
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:27PM
    Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:05PM
    Monkey13 said:

Gone straight to the this version from the old style.
    Ok I get why it was done because the interface was starting to look a bit dated. Now i thought it was supposed to be quicker not sure I notice that. Looks ok and no real objections on layout etc..

However the gripes. Why no channel removal? I don't want 10sd bt sports channels as well as the 10hd ones I might watch. I'm suspicious that this is something that the broadcasters have asked for.

Second why can't you go round the guide back to the start again? Another step back. If I'm right in the middle of the channel numbers I have to go up then start again to go down.

The up button when on channel 1 puts you upto the filters. Its not a major issue really that it don't wrap around if you get to the bottom of the list just press button 1. If you wish to go to the radio stations 701. Its better this way because I like the extra way to access filters.
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:06PM
    Visionman said:

This new BT update isn't clunky? 

No I don't think so
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:09PM

Updated today and find the new UI clunky and difficult to navigate compared to the previous version. I still haven't found the "discover" area which I used to use loads. The settings page is a mess with the huge 90s style icons. I've also experienced lots of picture/sound lag on streaming, particularly Netflix. Is there any way to revert back to the previous version which worked pretty seamlessly?

Discover hide channels and action panel are temporary unavailable. Youview intends to return these three at a later date via a update sometime after the next gen rollout is completed. I personally never used discover but there is a smaller version on the youview app if that would tide you over.
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:59PM
    Hi everyone. The tiles are staying.
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:11PM

Why release an update before the tried and tested features are developed? Can't understand it. Seems like a real step backwards.
    The settings UI looks like it was borrowed from a 90s Nokia phone. While the rest of the tech world are simplifying graphics in their UIs, these seem like a real step backwards. Cannot understand the thinking behind this update.
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:42PM
    wgc131 said:

Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.

Please please can we have an option to revert to the previous version!
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:26PM

If anyone can put together a way to reinstall the old operating system, please let me know!
    The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.
    When, where and how I have no idea, but would hope to have some input on it.
    But the tiles are staying.
    You know of all of the products I've owned through the years, there has been no other that I've constantly been pleased with the way the software worked and looked having owned other PVRs and TV from providers like Virgin whos UIs were truly horrible. This update has plonked my Youview box squarely in that pile of terrible user experiences and I'm going to start looking at other boxes now. A completely fumbled ball in my humble opinion and would gladly pay the price of a new box to get my old UI back!
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:43PM
    Visionman said:

The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.

Sorry. What are tiles?
    edited 1 April 2017, 12:28AM
    They are not going to bring the old UI back. And tiles are thumbnails.
    edited 1 April 2017, 12:08AM

Its impossible. Once the new Ui installed on your machine the old one was deleted. Also youview have never released the software as a download so your stuck with it
    edited 16 April 2017, 8:21PM

You know of all of the products I've owned through the years, there has been no other that I've constantly been pleased with the way the software worked and looked having owned other PVRs and TV from providers like Virgin whos UIs were truly horrible. This update has plonked my Youview box squarely in that pile of terrible user experiences and I'm going to start looking at other boxes now. A completely fumbled ball in my humble opinion and would gladly pay the price of a new box to get my old UI back!

I agree that in its current format YouView has gone from hero to zero.
    edited 1 April 2017, 12:51AM

True dat
  • Nigel JordanNigel Jordan Member Posts: 3
    edited 18 April 2017, 3:43PM
    [tl:dr please hurry up with Action Panel update!!] Dont mind update for the most part. Most annoying for me though is loss of hide channels (was gonna hide a couple of premium movie channels this week grrrr) and the action panel - especially "play on demand" feature. Sometimes my recordings glitch (low reception) so now have to search for them myself. Pretty frustrating. Play on demand was best bit of YouView imo.
    edited 1 April 2017, 1:22AM
    Visionman said:

The old ui was out of date. Next gen makes youview relivent again in a very crowded market
    Once the program finishes if you can watch it on demand it will have a little play symbol next to the program. Scroll to the desired program and press OK and it will play.
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:58PM
    This is a BT update and, speaking of BT updates, all the complaints about this current UI on the BT Community forum have been posted on one thread. Now who'd'a thunk of doing that?
    I used to enjoy helping people on here (as did others) before the kerfuffle. Now I rarely get the chance to do so. I miss it.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:21AM
    The GetSat forum software is not conducive to order.

There is still the odd 'ordinary problem' in the mix, Visionman, and probably as many as there were before.

But I bet the people here with issues with the new UI miss the old one worse than you miss the solvable help issues, and wish that one of those was all they had :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 608 ✭✭
    edited 2 April 2017, 5:15PM
    Visionman said:

Just your opinion Daniel.

The old UI was simple , clean & easy to use for ALL users whereas the new UI is very difficult for many. A lot of users can struggle with such drastic changes & comments such as "my elderly parents now can't use it" etc have been posted quite a few times.
  • Robert7Robert7 Member Posts: 1
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:32AM
    An opportunity missed to add a padding option so the end of recordings are not missed. I also don't like the new recordings page the old one was a lot better and user friendly.